Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any conceivable way we bring back both Lance and Danny ?

Default Any conceivable way we bring back both Lance and Danny ?

Hypothetically speaking if we minimum reach the ECF again and or win a championship and Danny looks like an anchor for the 2nd unit as our legit 6th man along with Scola do you guys see him signing at a discount after we lock Lance up ? It seems unlikely but I hate to break this team up as well as it's playing together.....on another note I wonder if we are willing to pay the tax if we end up somewhere between ECF and Finals again....

Default Re: Any conceivable way we bring back both Lance and Danny ?

to be honest, I love Granger and what he has done for this franchise but I dont trust his knees. I would want to have him on this team after this season.

The situation seems very similar to Jermaine Oneal
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Obviously my interest in having him
    Back is strictly contingent on his knees....but if he can come back and play 60 games this season without any setbacks, team physicians are comfortable AND he's willing to sign a franchise friendly deal I would love to see him
    retire a Pacer. That said he will be 31 and it's his last shot at another significant contract so if he plays well
    I'm not sure how realistic it is for him to accept the kind of discount we'd likely need.....the question is as always I guess....is franchise loyalty and best change for ring(s) more important than $ for him....and the franchise conversely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wylder1324 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

The problem when you have so many good players is that eventually you will have to pay them.

I think the Pacers will be stretched to their financial limit just to keep Lance; keeping Danny as well seems impossible.

On luxury tax, Larry Bird has consistently said no, Pacers won't pay tax. There's a bunch of people here though who thinks winning a championship or even getting close will change that stance, but so far there's nothing to say that would happen.

No. There is no financial way to bring them both back, given their value, our current cap circumstance, and repeated clear guidance from the front office on how they intend to manage the salary cap.

The moment we signed Paul to the extension he received, we said goodbye to either Lance or Danny. Given Lance's UFA status, it's not even clear that we can guarantee bringing either of them back.

It all rests on Lance, and how much he expects to be paid, and how much he's willing to trade $ on the table for his interest in staying in Indiana.

IMO, the main reason we need to win the title this year in particular.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It depends on how Danny comes back.

If he is back to his old form (and by that I mean anything approaching All-Star), then no. The only way we would go over the LT is to go into the first tier for a limited time (no repeat offender status). That prevents signing two major FAs.

If Danny comes back as a serviceable backup, then it is possible we could sign both but it may also be possible Danny would not want to play at that level and would retire (mooted by Naptown Seth last night).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Danny is a player worth keeping, then there's simply no way we can keep him.

It's going to be tough enough keeping Lance, but I think we'll make it work.

I don't think we can afford either of them without trading another player, especially with the way Paul's playing right now.

Not really as it looks now. PG is on track to make all NBA, which kicks in more pay. Lance is playing at a level where he will get paid. These are good problems to have, but there's no room for another contract.

This presumes the Pacers won't pay the lux tax. I don't see that changing short of a championship. And even then...

I'm just hoping Danny plays a role this year and gets a ring. Go out with a bang.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we can afford either of them without trading another player, especially with the way Paul's playing right now.
    We almost certainly have to dump one of Scola or Copeland just to keep our Lance bid in the competitive range.

Going forward, I think the 3 guys we have to keep at all costs are Paul G, Roy, and Lance. It's tough to contemplate, but I don't think swapping West or Hill for cheaper parts is completely off the table. It's either that or cannibalizing the bench - but of the 2, the latter is the more likely option, IMO.

Sports Logo

Nope. I'd say it won't even be that easy to bring one of them back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

If there was a guy who would give the Pacers a discount it would be Granger, but even at a discount it would be impossible to keep him without gutting the bench or going way over the LT.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm extremely worried that we won't even be able to keep Stephenson.

Only if Danny takes whatever contract Rasual Butler has right now.

Sure, if Danny plays for the minimum.

The "we'll never pay the tax" stuff was one thing over the summer where it looked like it wouldn't be that hard to keep Lance. Now it's a HUGE problem. Even if we keep the starting 5 we're squeezed crazy tight on money for the bench.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

If Lance is dropping triple doubles on the regular, you can be damn sure Larry will eat his words on the tax and pay the damn thing, especially so he can say "I told you so"

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If Lance is dropping triple doubles on the regular, you can be damn sure Larry will eat his words on the tax and pay the damn thing, especially so he can say "I told you so"
    It's not Larry's call.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's not Larry's call.
    I just refuse to buy this. If Lance is WORTH the money, and not just an 8 game sample size, then I cannot be convinced that Simon especially with Larry prodding him to do it will not write the check.

It's not Legend's money though. The final say will come from the Simons if it involves us going over the LT. No doubt Bird wants to keep Magic Stephenson at all costs.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    We almost certainly have to dump one of Scola or Copeland just to keep our Lance bid in the competitive range.

Going forward, I think the 3 guys we have to keep at all costs are Paul G, Roy, and Lance. It's tough to contemplate, but I don't think swapping West or Hill for cheaper parts is completely off the table. It's either that or cannibalizing the bench - but of the 2, the latter is the more likely option, IMO.
    Here's the thing with Scola. he's only guaranteed 400k or so next year, so what're the rules on re-signing him if we waive him? say we can waive his 4mil and re-sign him for the vet minimum at 1.7 or whatever. but that doesn't sound legal.

Only time will tell, but there is a reason Larry was brought back and there is a reason he sits right behind Simon.

Also, I love you all but the Magic Stephenson nickname makes me want to kill puppies. Born Rifleman is way better.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I just refuse to buy this. If Lance is WORTH the money, and not just an 8 game sample size, then I cannot be convinced that Simon especially with Larry prodding him to do it will not write the check.
    Oh we're keeping Lance, I have no doubt. the question is how many other moves we have to make to free up cash and how little money that gives us for the bench.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Only time will tell, but there is a reason Larry was brought back and there is a reason he sits right behind Simon.

Also, I love you all but the Magic Stephenson nickname makes me want to kill puppies. Born Rifleman is way better.
    Lance Magickson?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I honestly don't know how I'll react, if the Pacers are really this good with this roster and he balks at keeping it together because of his "no LT" rule. It will really be hard to spend my money on a franchise that isn't willing to go for it. Irsay holding back the starters when the Colts were sitting at 15-0 was hard to stomach, and that was a regular season record. My wrath would be heavily multiplied.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Born Rifleman is way better.
    Can't go there since a Person had the Rifleman name some years ago.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....