Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George emerging and putting the Bulls on notice - From a Bulls Blog

Default Paul George emerging and putting the Bulls on notice - From a Bulls Blog

I love when opposing rivals talk about this team. It's the greatest compliment. Sure, IndyCornrows and 8points9seconds is going to right glowing reviews of the Pacer's performances. But when the Bulls, the same group who can barely stomach the thought of the Pacers as equals writes about the Pacers? Yeah awesome.

I have two different articles from the same blog I'll post:

http://www.blogabull.com/2013/11/7/5...ulls-on-notice

The Bulls have their problems, still. A lot of them were still evident in Wednesday night's loss in Indiana, but over time you'd think that many will be fixed. But one that may not is the emergence of Paul George as the leader of the Pacers.

As Ricky pointed out before the game, throughout this 'rivalry' the Bulls have had their trump card in Derrick Rose. Both teams have had stellar defenses, but it takes someone who can transcend that opposing force to provide the balance needed to be a truly great team.

And it's not just hitting game-winners like Rose did in the Bulls lone win this year, but more the mindset that if your team is locked down against defensively there's someone to merely go to and provide something productive. George did not have the greatest game on Wednesday (and may not ever be that awesome against the Bulls given their wing defenders), with only 21 points in nearly 40 minutes on 6-19 shooting. And he didn't even score a field goal in the last 10 minutes when his team barreled ahead towards victory. But he did get to the line for two trips (going 4-4), had two assists and a big offensive rebound. The Pacers weren't a team lacking for a late-game option because they had George.

And the impact was maybe even more evident on the defensive end. Derrick Rose was also without a field goal in that time and had a turnover to his two assists, and this was in part because George was switched on to Rose and was extremely disruptive. Here was Rose after the game.

At the end, they put George on me instead of C.J. (Watson), and I guess that's what's going to happen in the fourth quarter. Almost every team did it — double-team or put a bigger guy on me. So that forces me to pass.
    And here's George, apparently really feeling himself as his team's leader:

We want to step away from that shadow as the ‘little brothers' of this division. Their success is the Michael Jordan era. This is a new age, this is a new team. It's ours till they take it.
    Kind of a...well, nonsense thing to say. But between that, Roy Hibbert campaigning for DPoY, and a the rest of a team that seem genuinely more pumped up for that game in Indy, the Pacers really believe they can usurp (or, in Paul George's world, stay on top of) the Bulls this season.

As my pal Doug at Bulls Confidential likes to say, this attitude of the Pacers towards the Bulls is sort of how our team feels about the Heat. And the Bulls believe, and have shown in some big regular season wins, that the Heat should fear them. Paul George was not really that good last year, still 'entering the conversation' which meant more buzz than production by the time the season was over. But he's still very young, and if he's improved like he's shown this season to the point where he's matching that hype, maybe the Bulls should be just as worried about the Pacers this year.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Default Re: Paul George emerging and putting the Bulls on notice - From a Bulls Blog

Even though it was the Philadelphia 76ers who captured hearts, minds and the No. 1 slot in the always important NBA Internet power rankings after the first week of meaningful play, it's the Indiana Pacers who have been the league's most impressive team to start the young season. It isn't really even up for debate. The Pacers are the league's only remaining unbeaten team, sitting at the top of the team defensive efficiency standings just like they did to end last season.

Of course, all of the typical sample size caveats still apply here: it has, after all, been four damn games. The Pacers haven't exactly faced a murder's row of competition either, as their opponents combine to have a 7-9 record thus far and none of the four reached the playoffs last season.

Yet, unlike with the 76ers' hot start, the math actually checks out with Indiana. We knew they would be one of the top four teams in the Eastern Conference barring a major injury or two. We knew they had a great young talent in Paul George who is only getting better and one of the league's very best defensive squads. We knew they'd be a force to reckon with for our Chicago Bulls all season.

The Pacers are going to be a handful, and they already look that way. The Bulls play this team four times (twice in November, twice in March) with the first of those meetings coming Wednesday night in Indiana. It will be a much-needed tough test for the Bulls after stumbling out of the gate 1-2 against a team it sure seems they don't care for much. Remember Tom Thibodeau giving Derrick Rose his first extended minutes in preseason by reinserting him late into a home game, giving the Bulls the win and ensuring the Pacers didn't even get to experience victory against the Bulls in a meaningless game? Yeah, that was pretty cool.

Listen, the Pacers are a rival. All of the boxes are checked here.

The Pacers are a regional foe who play only a short drive from Chicago.
    They play exactly like the Bulls, with defense being priority No. 1 and an overgrown front line being their biggest advantage in nearly every game. They're just as physical.
    There is some history here too, at least if you're the kind of person who every so often wakes up in a cold sweat from the image of Reggie Miller doing ******* figure skating spins. (guilty)
    The fact that Rose said this wasn't a rivalry just makes this even more of a rivalry. Of course the Pacers are a rival. Bless Rose's heart, but the quote didn't make much sense. Let's revisit it:

"People say that it's a rivalry, but I don't really see it," Rose said before scoring 32 points in the team's 103-98 win against the Pacers. "I say the team that is more like a rivalry is when Darren Collison was on the team. That one was more like a rivalry, but this team is a great team. They've already proven themselves last year by making it to the Eastern Conference finals.

"If anything, by probably in a year or two, it could become a rival. But right now, people say it's a rival. ... I just don't see it right now."
    The Pacers team the Bulls played in the 2011 playoffs was not this Pacers team. That one was more goon than good. That one had a rookie Paul George who averaged only six points per game on 30.3 percent shooting in the five-game playoff series. The Pacers in the here and the now are just a wrecking ball in every conceivable way.

The conventional wisdom has been that the Bulls' biggest advantage over the Pacers was that the Pacers lacked a truly special talent like Rose at the end of games. It was certainly the case in the 2011 postseason. But now? No one here is trying to make too much out of Rose's early-season struggles, but it's worth acknowledging that George has basically been Rose's diametric opposite: he's killing folks and suddenly looks like one of the 10 best players in the league.

I don't think that's hyperbole, or a conclusion drawn too early. George broke out last season, particularly in the playoffs when the Pacers pushed the Heat to seven games and George dunked all over Birdman's existence and got dapped by LeBron mid-game. Real recognize real, and all of that. The fact is, George wasn't a killer in the regular season a year ago, even though he was still very good. He only shot 41.9 percent from the field in averaging 17.4 points per game. As mentioned, his star really grew in the playoffs and he seems to carried that momentum over perfectly to this new season.

George's play (remember: it's only been four games!) has been pretty phenomenal. He's averaging 27 points and 8.8 rebounds a game. He's shooting 52.9 percent from the floor and 45.2 percent on an insane 7.8 attempts from three-point range. He's averaging 6.3 free throw attempts, nearly three more than last season.

He can score in just about every way possible, either all by himself or from finishing a look created by a teammate. George has made only one less field goal unassisted (18) than he has assisted. He's shooting 64.7 percent at the rim.

These numbers will come down some, because they're simply too astronomical right now. But does anyone really doubt George is capable of making the leap to become one of the league's very best players? I don't. He's 19 months younger than Rose and has already proven himself to be damn good. The sky is the limit, I would say.

He can also guard Rose in crunch-time if need be. George is considered one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league, with top flight athleticism, quick hands, an innate sense of positioning and a nearly seven-foot wingspan. All of that stuff matters. We've seen Rose have trouble with bigger defenders on the perimeter in the past (LeBron), and George certainly seems like he could potentially occupy that same role.

It's not unreasonable to believe the Pacers could be tougher in the postseason than when the Bulls play them tonight, even with George playing out of his mind and teammate Lance Stephenson also performing at some unsustainably impressive levels right now.

Roy Hibbert is working himself back into shape, playing only 25.7 minutes per game and averaging a modest 8 and 8 (Hibbert averaged 17.0 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 36.5 minutes in the playoffs last season). Indiana also doesn't have Danny Granger yet, and though there's been some questioning of how much he'll really help, I don't buy it at all. He's going to help a lot. Granger is a 6'9, 230 lbs. forward who hit at least two three-pointers per game at about a 38 percent clip in his last five healthy seasons. He's good, and he's not taking anything away from George. He's taking Sam Young's minutes.

The point here is that the Pacers are for real, and not just because they've blitzed the league in the opening week of the season. This start has just been confirmation of what we saw last season, that Indiana is already awesome and has a ceiling a notch or two above where they had been playing.

It's easy to worry about this game from the Bulls' perspective, but I think it might be just what they need to wake up. Tom Thibodeau had the team going hard in practice during their four days off, and why not: the Bulls have sucked so far, so they might as well put some work in.

The Bulls will come around, I don't doubt that at all. Hopefully it will happen tonight. But even when the Bulls do reach their peak level of performance, how much better they'll be than the Pacers remains very much up for debate.

Paul George is a stud, their defense is pristine, their toughness and physicality cannot be questioned. Sound familiar? This is the very definition of a rival. Tonight's game is only the beginning.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paul George emerging and putting the Bulls on notice - From a Bulls Blog

Putting the Bulls on notice?? Pass, I'll take putting the Heat on notice... What good would it do to put a team that, aside from proving nothing for a decade and a half, is inferior to the Pacers on notice?? The Bulls should put themselves on notice...

I am tired of Bulls fans... I know that I, along with everyone here, will take solice in the early exit of the Bulls from the playoffs, while we make a nice and long, serious championship run.
    Last edited by bballpacen; 11-12-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You want an interesting stat on "playoff experience"? Paul George playoff games played 35, Derrick Rose playoff games played 29.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Blog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As my pal Doug at Bulls Confidential likes to say, this attitude of the Pacers towards the Bulls is sort of how our team feels about the Heat. And the Bulls believe, and have shown in some big regular season wins, that the Heat should fear them. Paul George was not really that good last year, still 'entering the conversation' which meant more buzz than production by the time the season was over. But he's still very young, and if he's improved like he's shown this season to the point where he's matching that hype, maybe the Bulls should be just as worried about the Pacers this year.
    Wow....really?

I get that the Bulls could be a very good Team.....that they are likely 2nd rounders and even possible ECF candidate against the Heat....but MAYBE the Bulls should worry about a likely Playoff Bound Team that is in the same division as they are and are ( at worst ) a Division Rival and likely 2nd round matchup?

Maybe the Bulls fans and Blogs should come back down to Earth and re-access where they are now before automatically assuming that they are a lock for the ECF.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-12-2013 at 03:50 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Wow....really?

I get that the Bulls could be a very good Team.....that they are likely 2nd rounders and even possible ECF candidate against the Heat....but MAYBE the Bulls should worry about a likely Playoff Bound Team that is in the same division as they are and are ( at worst ) a Division Rival and likely 2nd round matchup?

Maybe the Bulls fans and Blogs should come back down to Earth and re-access where they are now before automatically assuming that they are a lock for the ECF.
    BlogABull is awful. It's an embarrassment to the SB Nation Network. Should be at least, if they weren't the 3rd biggest market and brought a bunch of hits. That's one of the tamest statements they've ever said about the Pacers, their moderator actively encourages dickhead behavior. The majority of ADMINS there would be banned on IndyCornrows for inflammation.

I'm not kidding, I've spent a lot of time on NBA message boards/blogs, team specific and general interest both, that place is a freaking cesspool.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Bulls haven't had their "trump card" in 18 months. Might as well bring up MJ.

This guy comes off as a complete idiot.

"Paul George was not really all that good last year." Yeah, only an all star and 3rd team all NBA, otherwise though he was only OK.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He mentions that Indy could "usurp" Chicago this year. Funny, I coulda swore it was Indy who won the Central last year, and took Miami to game 7 in the ECF. And is out to 8-0 start this year. Huh.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    You want an interesting stat on "playoff experience"? Paul George playoff games played 35, Derrick Rose playoff games played 29.
    Rose > George

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The Bulls haven't had their "trump card" in 18 months. Might as well bring up MJ.

This guy comes off as a complete idiot.

"Paul George was not really all that good last year." Yeah, only an all star and 3rd team all NBA, otherwise though he was only OK.
    Rose > George

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    He mentions that Indy could "usurp" Chicago this year. Funny, I coulda swore it was Indy who won the Central last year, and took Miami to game 7 in the ECF. And is out to 8-0 start this year. Huh.
    Rose > all of the Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Rose > George

Rose > George

Rose > all of the Pacers
    I think what we're all forgetting is that Chicago is the de facto champion every year until somebody knocks them out of the playoffs.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tbo... I recognize Rose as a tremendous individual player. No question, he is capable of going 1-on-5 at times. The problem is, I don't see him necessarily as one of the best team players. He's sort of a 1-man show. I just don't see him as setting others up, really.... his "set ups" seem to be more when his 1-on-1 has failed and he kicks it out. He just so happens to be on a really good team. It sort of masks his selfishness. They've proven they aren't half bad even when he isn't around. They are well-coached.

I just think he gets way too much credit for what they do. He seems like a more selfish player than I care for. His game is all about trying to poke holes in the defense by himself, or the offense sets up so he can go 1-on-5, and when he gets stifled, he just kicks it out. It's extremely effective because he's such a good 1-on-1 player... I just don't think it lends to as much team success as someone like, say, Duncan, or PG, or LeBron --- players who work in a team concept. And I think his style suffers in the playoffs.

And he's a point guard... he's a tremendous scoring PG... I just don't believe point guards easily serve as the centerpiece of a championship team, inherently because of their size. Like Indy, for instance. They can stick a bigger, longer, athletic guy like PG on him, and it damn near neutralizes Rose. Meanwhile, you can't stick Rose on PG, defensively. Athleticism and talent can only take you so far when you're not the tallest.

And his off-field appearances/quotes often leave me with raised eyebrows. Like his "Indy not a rivalry except when Darren Collison was there" stance. The crying scene at the adidas shoe unvieling... not playing for a whole year when by all observers accounts he could've gone... "I'd kill my mom on the court"... saying he's the best player in the NBA this past summer, after having not played for a year (and no you're not the best player). He's had a number of doozies. And frankly, it's not hard to see the guy is gonna spend his entire career dinged up, because of the way he plays.

Just not a huge believer in the DRose phenomena... although, it would appear DRose himself has bought into the DRose phenomena. I actually remember now having these arguments with folks on here a few years ago before his injury... I wasn't a huge Rose fan, and had a LOT of people telling me how great he was going to be.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 11-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You gotta love the fact they are still talking down to the Pacers by saying they could be a rival.

Who the **** do they think they are? Honestly. We are a better team than them. If anything, we reached the ECF last season and I didn't see them there. If anyone feels the need to talk, it should be us.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Bulls fans have their heads so far up their own *** I am surprised they even know any players who aren't on their own team.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm not kidding, I've spent a lot of time on NBA message boards/blogs, team specific and general interest both, that place is a freaking cesspool.
    I don't know if this is simply due to my exposure to them or what, but I find all Chicago sports fans to be of the very worst variety. I don't think they are so bad with their baseball teams, mainly because they are more famous for scandals and haplessness than success (save for the White Sox World Series title a few years back). But Bulls, Bears, and even Blackhawks fans are the absolute worst.

I'm not really sold on Rose even before to be honest. He's a superstar talent, no doubt, but he's no MVP for me. I still believe he robbed LeBron of the MVP award, but it's just my opinion.

I think the Bulls are really good in regular season,as a team, with or without Rose. But their time to reign in the regular season, and in the Central Division, was already up. Even with Rose picking it up again, they will never top the Pacers in the division until they make some massive revamp in their lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    You gotta love the fact they are still talking down to the Pacers by saying they could be a rival.

Who the **** do they think they are? Honestly. We are a better team than them. If anything, we reached the ECF last season and I didn't see them there. If anyone feels the need to talk, it should be us.
    I do think they need to reassess where they are on the pecking list...or at least not assume anything. They are certainly not on a separate level above the Pacers and competing with Miami. That's pure nonsense. DRose is a very good player but even back when our guys were all babes, we competed pretty well with them. Now our babes have grown up and are moving up the food chain.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

You'd think Bulls' fans would be a little more humble and realistic in the post Jordan era but no.

The Pacers have had every bit as much success as the Bulls over the last couple of seasons and I don't see that changing in the near future.

We're gonna feel pretty stupid if they beat us this weekend.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    We are?

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It would suck to lose that game, but we are inevitably going to lose at some point. No single loss in the NBA is that big of a deal, so if worse comes to worse, they will merely be tying the season series with us.

It's going to be a tough game. We know that the Bulls will be treating it like it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

If we do win, then I hope we have the most obnoxious celebration in our locker room just to irritate the Bulls.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Speak for yourself
    I Bleed Blue

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Yeah, because splitting home-and-home proves how inferior the Pacers are. To the media, anyway.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I'm pretty sure no one will be crowning the Bulls if they beat us Saturday. That being said from a strategic standpoint I'd love to get it.

We would be 10-0 if we can beat Mil and Chi, and we would already be 5-0 in the division and 4-0 on the second night of back to backs. That would be really impressive.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Yeah, because splitting home-and-home proves how inferior the Pacers are. To the media, anyway.
    Well, yeah, we were lucky to win, plus we had home court advantage.

If they win, it means they are the best team not in Miami.

This is from a Bulls fan's perspective, the media's.
    Last edited by TinManJoshua; 11-13-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Also, if you guys think everyone in the media is sleeping ont he Pacers then you really need to expand your horizon past ESPN.