• Lance Stephenson

74 94.87%
  • Someone else

4 5.13%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pacers/Grizzlies Postgame Thread 11/11/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Grizzlies Postgame Thread 11/11/13

So I guess now we know what Mark Boyle meant when a couple of years ago he said that Lance was the best player in practice.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not completely sure if this is true, but I know there were some that suggested that the Pacers could have declined Lance's option this offseason which in their viewing of the rules would have made him immediately a restricted free agent.
    I did post a suggestion along those lines, but it turned out that Lance's deal didn't have team options, it was unguaranteed the last 2 years. This matters because to make him a RFA, we would have to waive him, meaning some other team could have picked him up on the waiver wire. Also, even if we had a team option, the maneuver might have fallen afoul of cap circumvention rules anyway (count55's opinion).

Basically, the Pacers bet that getting 4 cheap years out of Lance is better than 3 years + RFA, and it looks like the bet will fall against them.

It's the luxury tax and the Pacers internal budget that is holding them back more than the quirks of the CBA.
    Agreed. Though I still think giving 2nd rounders the possibility of rookie extensions isn't a big change and might even be desirable for both teams and players.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We went on a 17-3 run at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th which iced the game. Paul George had 15 of the 17. That's a superstar.
    And he did that in the quietest way possible.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Agreed. Though I still think giving 2nd rounders the possibility of rookie extensions isn't a big change and might even be desirable for both teams and players.
    I think the number of times this would be helpful is so small there's no sense trying to work out how to make it balance with the lower talent level generally in the second round.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Simon better open his pocket books a little wider if it comes to keeping/losing lance because of the whole luxury tax threshold especially if this team wins a championship. If I was a billionaire owner i'd want to keep that going for as long as I could.

I don't talk to much about what's going to happen next summer because I think there is a lot of different possibilities. Lance is realizing his value, and Herb I think is 70 something now? If his team finally wins a championship, I'm not so sure he'll stick to the "below LT" at all costs mantra.

Anywho, we'll find out what happens but at the moment, I'm just worried about this season.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think the number of times this would be helpful is so small there's no sense trying to work out how to make it balance with the lower talent level generally in the second round.
    Right. Lance has WAY outperformed the intentions of the rule. Such is life, good for Lance. We're looking at a starting 5 where Hill at $8mil (which is market value, I don't want to hear otherwise because you're just wrong) is our lowest paid starter. If we're going to keep Lance it's going to take some creative financing that even the guys that make an actual living from the franchise are probably going to struggle with. I have absolutely no doubt we'll make it happen, but we're going to make some moves that probably won't make any surface sense. Scola's probably a one year rental for instance. Maybe anyway, he's like $400k guaranteed, I don't know what happens if we waive him and clear 3+ mil, I don't know if we could use part of our MLE to re-sign him after waiving him. Copeland'll probably get dumped. Things get desperate maybe Solo gets given away. Danny's gone short of playing for the minimum. Cross your fingers and hope the tax makes a big jump, which it won't, projections are always high, ut can always hope.

Or Herb decides to spend the tax for at least a year (on paper) and gives them some time to clear space w/o making desperation deals that include dumping future assets. You can get out of the luxury tax until the very last day of a league year, it doesn't start on day one of the offseason.

And if we make it work, I don't want to hear any garbage about how Herb Simon is cheap, tax or not.

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Sidenote, I really like the new beat reporter. I didn't dislike Mike Wells, but Candace is just better. Besides, we're 8-0 since she took over
    Wells seems like a better fit as a Colts reporter. I don't know why that is. I never really warmed to him on the Pacers beat.

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post
    Wells seems like a better fit as a Colts reporter. I don't know why that is. I never really warmed to him on the Pacers beat.

He's a better fit as a Colts reporter because the Colts injuries have been season ending, therefore there is nothing for him to get aggravated about on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So everybody's noticed the respect we're getting from the refs right? Roy specifically. Everybody but Mahinmi pretty much, refs hate Ian.
    I honestly think it's that the refs start to feel guilty over all the respect they accord to Roy, so then they make up for it by calling iffy fouls on Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    He's a better fit as a Colts reporter because the Colts injuries have been season ending, therefore there is nothing for him to get aggravated about on twitter.
    Haha. WHEN IS WAYNE COMING BACK OH OK THX MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Simon better open his pocket books a little wider if it comes to keeping/losing lance because of the whole luxury tax threshold especially if this team wins a championship. If I was a billionaire owner i'd want to keep that going for as long as I could.
    I would do too if I was. For me, the owner will surely spend more if the revenues skyrocket. On the previous seasons, we're winning but the fan base wasn't strong enough to support this team in terms of revenues. Hopefully, with the excitement brought by our young core of PG, Roy and Lance helps get more to watch the games live, help attract national TV contracts for next season and get this team to be more profitable.

I think what is so endearing for me is the joy these guys seem to all have playing the game, and with each other. In the last three games in particular, you can just see the focus, their relaxed poise, the fun that they're having. It just seems so "easy" for them right now. I don't know if I've ever witnessed a Pacers team playing so loose and poised for a stretch like this.

Naturally, a loss (or a string of losses) will change things. But man, a NBA team owner can't buy the kind of chemistry this team has with one another. They've clearly unlocked "the secret'. The only remaining question is how they'll deal with some real adversity once that comes.

I for one appreciate the time that Vogel has given Solomon Hill on the floor, regardless of how he's played. This is probably the only window of time this year where he'll be able to see the court, as once Granger comes back... he's going to be riding the pine. I see potential in Hill to be an important piece in the future, and it starts with building up his confidence that he can "hang" with our team. Letting him play is an important part of that.

...and who is worried about Mahinmi's offense when he's playing alongside Scola now? Talk about a highly complementary pair. I love Lance's pick/pop action with Scola. I literally start to expect two points as soon as Scola picks.

I loved seeing the true, young enthusiasm of Lance as he wrapped up his first (of multiple) triple doubles. When he's happy and confident, I think that guy will be unstoppable. The maturity will continue to come. His primary growth will continue to be mental growth. What a joy to watch this kid transform the way he has. I have always rooted for him, and it's just sweet to see his promise fulfilled.

Finally, I just thanked the man upstairs for encouraging Larry to come back and take his rightful place as the man steering the Pacers ship. There's no question that the state we're in is on him.

I'm not completely sure if this is true, but I know there were some that suggested that the Pacers could have declined Lance's option this offseason which in their viewing of the rules would have made him immediately a restricted free agent. So the Pacers might have had that option to effectively turn it into a three year deal as late as this past offseason and chose to turn it down. Of course, the tradeoff is that if Lance had hit restricted free agency this past year, the Pacers almost certainly would have had to cut salary elsewhere this offseason to fit him in.

I definitely don't think this an issue with the CBA though. The Pacers could have had Lance as a restricted free agent (whether by signing a theee year deal at the beginning or the possibility they could have turned down the option). They will have all the advantages in unrestricted free agency. It's the luxury tax and the Pacers internal budget that is holding them back more than the quirks of the CBA.
    I'm pretty sure that declining his option would have made him unrestricted
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yup, that's pretty much what he was tonight. Give this cat a 32 uniform and we're good to go.
    lol

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I'm pretty sure that declining his option would have made him unrestricted
    But he will become unrestricted anyway. Hindsight, we should have declined his option and signed him for, say, $8 million. No one else would have competed, but we knew he was something special. Now we will pay $10 to $12 million or more.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    But he will become unrestricted anyway. Hindsight, we should have declined his option and signed him for, say, $8 million. No one else would have competed, but we knew he was something special. Now we will pay $10 to $12 million or more.
    I think you're on point there, but it's never been clear whether that was a "legal" maneuver.

I also don't think our cap circumstance could have supported an $8mil figure for Lance this year. But I agree that we should have tried to lock him up before the coming out party. I think the signs were pretty clear that he was going to break out. Bird certainly saw it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    is it Friday yet?
    For real. I've watched 5 games in the last 7 days... WANT MORE PACERS BASKETBALL!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The way Paul has figured out how to flip the switch and slam the door on teams is so huge for this team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The way Paul has figured out how to flip the switch and slam the door on teams is so huge for this team.
    It's been said so many times here already, and I LOVE it.

PG specifically, but the entire team (except Lance perhaps) just casually dominated the Grizzlies.

When was the last time we casually dominated anybody for games in a row. This is amazing stuff.