Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA negotiating with the Silnas to end the Spirits of St. Louis deal

Sports Logo

Default NBA negotiating with the Silnas to end the Spirits of St. Louis deal

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ostly-aba-deal
    The NBA is engaged in settlement talks with Ozzie and Daniel Silna to end a contract that has long been described as "the greatest sports business deal of all time," according to sources close to the situation.

No agreement has been reached, but talks are ongoing.

The Silna brothers are the former owners of an old ABA franchise known as the Spirits of St. Louis. When the ABA merged with the NBA in 1976, the Silnas agreed to dissolve their team in exchange for a small percentage of the NBA's future broadcast revenue.

At the time, it seemed like an irrelevant concession by the league. But it's become a financial windfall for the Silnas. They receive 1/7 of the television revenues of the four ABA teams that were absorbed: the Spurs, Nuggets, Nets and Pacers. The NBA currently has $7.4 billion in TV contracts with ABC/ESPN and TNT.

The kicker in the Silnas' deal is that it goes on in perpetuity.

Last season, the Silnas, who bought the Carolina Cougars for $1 million in 1973 before moving the club to St. Louis, received a reported $19 million from the NBA.

Since the deal was reached in 1976, the league has paid the Silnas $300 million in TV royalties. Recently, a judge ruled that the brothers also have rights to Internet revenue.

Because the Silnas' cut diminishes the dividends of the NBA's 30 team owners, the league has long sought to settle the contract.
    Good luck, not like it's the first time they've tried. But at least they're still trying I suppose.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA negotiating with the Silnas to end the Spirits of St. Louis deal

Let Prokhorov and his people handle it. He likely has "comrades" who could be "persuasive" enough to "make the Silnas talk".

Or, grant them 2 expansion franchises, one in St. Louis and one in either Virginia Beach or Seattle.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NBA negotiating with the Silnas to end the Spirits of St. Louis deal

Why would they agree to anything other than a huge lump sum payment? Sounds like a really sweet deal to me.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would they agree to anything other than a huge lump sum payment? Sounds like a really sweet deal to me.
    Cuz they're getting old and hopefully hate their kids?

I don't see why they'd ever settle. They're the only people I know of who essentially own a money tree. Just keep it.

I don't know why they'd ever settle. The NBA made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

"Settle" means them taking them less money than what they are currently entitled to. Why would they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't know why they'd ever settle. The NBA made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

"Settle" means them taking them less money than what they are currently entitled to. Why would they do that?
    Because everyone has something they really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Or, grant them 2 expansion franchises, one in St. Louis and one in either Virginia Beach or Seattle.
    Granting them an expansion franchise seems like the only way to end it. I wonder what would happen if they tried to buy an existing franchise while still earning the money.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Granting them an expansion franchise seems like the only way to end it. I wonder what would happen if they tried to buy an existing franchise while still earning the money.
    The league wouldn't allow them to be owners of an NBA franchise if they were receiving more than their cut. The NBA can't legally cut their cash flow off, but they can prevent them from owning an NBA franchise.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    The NBA would never approve it. I agree that they're going to have to make another franchise in St. Louis or wherever they would want is the only way out really.

No set amount of money is going to get it done, basically they've won the lottery just getting annual payments until the end of time, giving them a lump sum won't work. I think the only other way it would end is for the 2 Silna's to die and their offspring be stupid enough to take a lump sum.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

"Spirits of St.Louis" would make a nice name for a D-League team.

The fact that there is no time limit to the deal says to me these guys are super stubborn and greedy, and as long as they are alive this deal won't end. You might be able to get a court to rule the deal is over once they die, depending on the wording of the contract. If it uses their specific names, ex-owners, or something along those lines that doesn't explicitly include allow for it to be passed on to other relatives I would think would be enough to get the deal voided upon death.

Banned
    Mood

According to a poster on RealGM who's done extensive research on this, the NBA tried to buy out the Silnas family in the early '90s. The Silnas' waned $8M, but the NBA's best offer was $5M. Yeah... bad move, NBA.

I'd love to see someone educated on this subject make a realistic estimate as to what the deal is worth in terms of a one-time, lump-sum buyout. $20M a year, with those rates growing as TV and Internet revenue continues to increase... wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    The fact that there is no time limit to the deal says to me these guys are super stubborn and greedy, and as long as they are alive this deal won't end. You might be able to get a court to rule the deal is over once they die, depending on the wording of the contract. If it uses their specific names, ex-owners, or something along those lines that doesn't explicitly include allow for it to be passed on to other relatives I would think would be enough to get the deal voided upon death.
    I'm not really sure how that makes them greedy. If they're not getting the money, it's not like the money's going to charity. It's going to fall into the hands of other rich people.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I'm not really sure how that makes them greedy. If they're not getting the money, it's not like the money's going to charity. It's going to fall into the hands of other rich people.
    I don't know how that deal doesn't make them greedy when no other ABA team has such a deal. At least those other rich people would be doing something to actually earn that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't know how that deal doesn't make them greedy when no other ABA team has such a deal. At least those other rich people would be doing something to actually earn that money.
    There was only one other ABA team, Colonels, they accepted a smaller lump sum payment. They probably could have got this as well.

This deal is realistically worth so much its insane. With a new contract to be negotiated in what 3 years, we can expect the amount to go up by a bit. Say that deal is for 8-10 years. Thats 11-13 years at 20 million a season. Unless we expect basketball to wane in popularity by a wide margin. This is worth Billions.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd tell the NBA 200 million or stop wasting my time. Seriously. That'a high enough to get what they would realistically need to consider ending the deal and low enough that the NBA would have to think about it. Even then 200 million is pretty low given the potential long term value of this deal.
    Last edited by travmil; 11-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Banned
    Mood

$200M seems way too low to me. They'd make that in a decade, and that's with no significant increase in the current TV/Internet revenue.

Yeah if I was the Silnas I wouldn't agree to any deal short of two expansion franchises at this point. One in Seattle the other in St Louis.

I would laugh and hang up the phone every time the NBA called.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I would laugh and hang up the phone every time the NBA called.
    Franchises actually get them more money. The only reason why the league would agree to it, is because unlike the current arrangements the teams would also bring in money.

That is a sweeter deal than Steve Young still getting paid for playing in the USFL.

Have they given any indication that they would actually want a franchise in lieu of their current arrangement? If it were me, I'd just sit at home and cash the check every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    Have they given any indication that they would actually want a franchise in lieu of their current arrangement? If it were me, I'd just sit at home and cash the check every year.
    They can do that with a franchise as well, owners don't have to get that involved. Just hire somebody to run it for them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A franchise in St. Louis though? The NBA would be 4th banana there after the Cards, Blues, and Rams. Yeah I think I'd just cash the check if it were me.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post: