Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 70 wins??

Default Re: 70 wins??

The Pacers are better than they were at the beginning of the season if that means anything. Just having Granger playing instead of Solomon Hill is an improvement even if Danny isn't playing well at the moment. He's still making veteran decisions out there and until recently was playing Ok.

I've been saying to myself all year that this team is good enough to break or at least challenge Miami's record winning streak this year. I don't know why but in the back of my mind I sort of expected them to at least rip off a good 20 game streak and to get the heads talking. Will they actually do it? I don't know but say they win out on this trip and do rip off a 20 game streak and threaten or break the win streak record, 70 wins is likely.

Would it be amazing for them to win 73 and the championship and I could brag that they were the best team of all time? Yes but this is the first time in years I'm missing Pacers games because I hit a rough spot and no longer have cable. I suffered through the JOB years now I'm missing the greatest season ever. Damn my luck lol.

Anyways I check the boxscores and forums religously and it seems Lance is approaching a triple double every game almost. Then I read the post game thread and people barely even mention it or even say he had a bad game or we should trade him. LOL
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 01-22-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Pacers will win 60+ but 70? Not sure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyways I check the boxscores and forums religously and it seems Lance is approaching a triple double every game almost. Then I read the post game thread and people barely even mention it or even say he had a bad game or we should trade him. LOL
    Not sure where you're seeing that. Lance is probably the most loved Pacer within all the forums, Pacers Digest included!

Sorry to hear about not being able to see the games though. If you're in the Indy area, you can always catch it on the radio! It's not the same, but hey--its something.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not sure where you're seeing that. Lance is probably the most loved Pacer within all the forums, Pacers Digest included!

Sorry to hear about not being able to see the games though. If you're in the Indy area, you can always catch it on the radio! It's not the same, but hey--its something.
    Loved? I don't know if I'd say that. Most talked about? At this point, absolutely. Most exciting? Arguably yes. Most loved, though, is pushing it. And if/when he takes his big payday somewhere else, the knives will come out. Now, some of them will be aimed at Herb and LJB, but they'll be out...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I've been saying to myself all year that this team is good enough to break or at least challenge Miami's record winning streak this year. I don't know why but in the back of my mind I sort of expected them to at least rip off a good 20 game streak and to get the heads talking. Will they actually do it? I don't know but say they win out on this trip and do rip off a 20 game streak and threaten or break the win streak record, 70 wins is likely.

Would it be amazing for them to win 73 and the championship and I could brag that they were the best team of all time? Yes but this is the first time in years I'm missing Pacers games because I hit a rough spot and no longer have cable. I suffered through the JOB years now I'm missing the greatest season ever. Damn my luck lol.

Being great is only part of having a streak like Miami did last year. Luck also plays a huge factor into it. Basketball can be a flukey game, and it's really hard to go 27 straight games without a fluke costing you a game. Even the legendary 96 Bulls who won 72 games only got as far as winning 18 straight, which was considerably behind Miami's 27 game streak. For as great as the Pacers have been this year, they have "only" been able to get as far as a 9 game winning streak. Putting together long winning streaks in the NBA is just an absurdly difficult thing to do. Even the bad teams have world class talent which can get hot and beat you. Most NBA champions don't have long winning streaks on their resume.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Loved? I don't know if I'd say that. Most talked about? At this point, absolutely. Most exciting? Arguably yes. Most loved, though, is pushing it. And if/when he takes his big payday somewhere else, the knives will come out. Now, some of them will be aimed at Herb and LJB, but they'll be out...
    I should have clarified. Lance is kind of our "new toy" so everything he is doing is garnering more excitement and love from fans. We have all gotten used to (spoiled maybe) the David West's, Paul George's, and Roy Hibberts of the team. Because Lance's contributions are new, and rather exciting he's currently receiving the most love. At least IMO.

But I agree, if he leaves then a lot of that love will be directed elsewhere. I doubt that happens at this point however.

If we get to 50-8 I will start entertaining the idea of 70 wins.

Those losses to Toronto and Detroit could end up being the reason we don't do it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    If we get to 50-8 I will start entertaining the idea of 70 wins.

Those losses to Toronto and Detroit could end up being the reason we don't do it
    So one loss in the next 18 games, then up to 4 losses in the following 22 games? If we are able to go 22-1 in a 23 game period I think if we are 50-8 we are talking about making a serious run at 73 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    So one loss in the next 18 games, then up to 4 losses in the following 22 games? If we are able to go 22-1 in a 23 game period I think if we are 50-8 we are talking about making a serious run at 73 wins.
    We are gonna slow down at the end of the year, at our current pace we will lock up the #1 seed with 7 or 8 games left

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am stunned that there are people that think this is still a realistic possibility. 70 wins has been accomplished once in 65 seasons by one of the 4-5 best teams of all time. This is ridiculous.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Well, baring a miracle come back, there goes a chance at 73 wins.

KStat just because it has only be done once doesn't mean it is impossible. After tonight the Pacers can lose 1 game for every 10 games they play. It is not unreasonable that this team could pull of 3 9 game winning streaks and a 10 game streak. I don't think anyone is going to deny that it is unlikely, but being unlikely does not mean unrealistic.

Right it's not impossible. Just like it isn't impossible for me to walk to 7-11, buy a scratch off ticket and walk out with 50 grand. It just makes me look like an idiot when I tell people it's a realistic possibility...

I'm sure 37-4 seems realistic to you. It is not. The best team in the nba right now is the pacers at 33-8. They are not going to raise their game that much higher.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-23-2014 at 01:30 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The Pacers are on pace for 66 games right now. Winning 4 more games than currently on pace for is not an unrealistic possibility.

^^ Phrase it however you want to, but it ain't gonna freakin' happen.

13 teams in nba history have reached 66 wins. Only one of them got to 70.

Well, baring a miracle come back, there goes a chance at 73 wins.

KStat just because it has only be done once doesn't mean it is impossible. After tonight the Pacers can lose 1 game for every 10 games they play. It is not unreasonable that this team could pull of 3 9 game winning streaks and a 10 game streak. I don't think anyone is going to deny that it is unlikely, but being unlikely does not mean unrealistic.
    The Pacers have played phenomenal ball all season, yet only have one 9 game winning streak this year with exactly half of the season behind us. The idea that they could have three 9 game winning streaks and a 10 game winning streak is as close to unrealistic as it gets.

When only one team has done it in NBA history, it's pretty near impossible. It took a team with the GOAT on it who was giving the rest of the league a nice "F.U. all, I'm fully back" to accomplish it. When the Pacers lost 4 out of 8 in December, this pretty much became impossible.

The Pacers are on pace for 66 games right now. Winning 4 more games than currently on pace for is not an unrealistic possibility.
    Not to mention that their schedule is on the downhill slide in terms of tough games left. I don't think it's going to happen, but it's not anywhere near lotto odds.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

We will have another two games like we had versus Toronto, Detroit, and the Suns. Counting the back to backs, I think that 70 wins is a pipe dream. I think the Patriots going undefeated and losing in the Superbowl should be a lesson in "be careful what you wish for". Or "don't look to far ahead".