Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 70 wins??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 70 wins??

Pacers sure looked the part of a 70 win team vs SA......
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The easiest way to measure how good a team actually is during the regular season is measuring the offensive and defensive rating compared to the rest of the league. Teams win games they shouldn't, they lose games they shouldn't, but their offensive and defensive rating are pretty good showing us how good teams are.

Top 10 defenses are required to win championships and top 10 offenses are present on nearly EVERY Championship team EVER.

So how do the Pacers rate?? The Number 1 defense. That's good. The Spurs rank right behind them with the number 2 defense- (it should be noted that the Spurs competition is MUCH tougher than the Pacers, so they could actually have a better defense)

The offense? 17th. So according to the numbers, the Pacers aren't even good enough to win a championship.

After the Pacers get smacked around on this brutal road trip, I hope people come down to earth. This team is very good with room for improvement. But right now they aren't playing good enough to beat the Heat in a playoff series. The Heat or the Spurs.

The Spurs have the 3rd best Offense and the 2nd best defense. That's what a true contender looks like. People should note the differences.
    They're not getting smacked around buddy

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    After the Pacers get smacked around on this brutal road trip, I hope people come down to earth.
    Does everyone realize how close they are to being 4-0 on this road trip ??

We're not just picking on you mattie, there are plenty of other people in this thread that didn't give the guys much of a chance in these 5 games. A win against the Thunder is almost gravy.

Yes - I got on them after that ugly effort against Chicago, but apparently that game was a blip on the radar and they've gone back to their old kick-*** ways. It's fun. It's just a lot of fun to watch.

Enjoy it. It could very well be a really, really special season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    The Pacers are also the 2nd highest rated team in the NBA according to the Hollinger Power Rankings with a rank of 109.15. The Spurs are ranked 1st with a rank of 110.076.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings
    Bwahahaha!

That'll need an update.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And now it has been.

We are number 1.

To not be a 70 win team, the Pacers have to lose more than 10 games out of the next 62. 52 and 10 from here on out = 70 win season.

My thought is that they'll go 50 and 12, coming just shy of 70 wins. That said, it's a very legitimate possibility they'll get 70, enough so that the discussion of it is not out of line. Maybe not probably, but quite possible. I think other factors play more into the mix that are unrelated to the Pacer's talent and ability; the biggest being how much do they want the #1 overall seed and how close are the Western teams record wise to competing for the #1 overall. If going into the last 10 games of the year the Pacer's have #1 overall pretty much locked up, I can see them resting starters and falling those couple of games shy of 70.

The Top 10 offense thing is a red herring, and here is why. If you look at the Pacer's 2PT and 3PT FG%, they're on the cusp of being Top 10 in both of those categories. Also, point differential. Their point differential is wildly ahead of any other team in the league, it's not even close. Meaning, our defense is off the charts from the norm while our offense is not that far off the mark. With a spread that big, and taking into account that we're shooting a decent percentage, I'm not really concerned about our offense. Heck, if you can put up 111pts in a lopsided, on the road victory over a disciplined and mature team like SA, your offense is "good enough" at that point.
    Last edited by indyaway; 12-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Bwahahaha!

That'll need an update.
    Check it today. The Pacers have the top spot. Woot!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

Indiana
    16-3
    --

Last Week: 1 Threw this out on Twitter in all sincerity given how weak the Least has been: At what point do we start saying that Indy has a shot at 70 wins? The Pacers' 18-2 record before Sunday's crash in OKC will be recorded as the second-best start ever for a team after losing in the conference finals.
    And so it is.

If the Pacers win 18 out of every 21 games, they will finish wth 70 wins.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If the Pacers win 18 out of every 21 games, they will finish wth 70 wins.
    And there is no month as tough as this month schedule wise left.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Personally I don't care about 70 wins, I do care about 73 wins though. 70 would be nice, but is unimportant. 73 wins though sets an NBA record, and puts this team solidly in the argument for best team ever.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

A 70 win Pacers team is unfathomable to me. So I refuse to discuss it.

Other than this post of course.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It's crazy to think that they could go 31-10 on the road and still be short of 70 wins if they were 38-3 at home.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It's crazy to think that they could go 31-10 on the road and still be short of 70 wins if they were 38-3 at home.
    That is why it won't happen .

I thought my 18 out of every 21 games would scare some people off. But maybe yours will

Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    To not be a 70 win team, the Pacers have to lose more than 10 games out of the next 62. 52 and 10 from here on out = 70 win season.

My thought is that they'll go 50 and 12, coming just shy of 70 wins. That said, it's a very legitimate possibility they'll get 70, enough so that the discussion of it is not out of line. Maybe not probably, but quite possible. I think other factors play more into the mix that are unrelated to the Pacer's talent and ability; the biggest being how much do they want the #1 overall seed and how close are the Western teams record wise to competing for the #1 overall. If going into the last 10 games of the year the Pacer's have #1 overall pretty much locked up, I can see them resting starters and falling those couple of games shy of 70.

The Top 10 offense thing is a red herring, and here is why. If you look at the Pacer's 2PT and 3PT FG%, they're on the cusp of being Top 10 in both of those categories. Also, point differential. Their point differential is wildly ahead of any other team in the league, it's not even close. Meaning, our defense is off the charts from the norm while our offense is not that far off the mark. With a spread that big, and taking into account that we're shooting a decent percentage, I'm not really concerned about our offense. Heck, if you can put up 111pts in a lopsided, on the road victory over a disciplined and mature team like SA, your offense is "good enough" at that point.
    I'm bumping my prediction midway. Again, I'm sticking to my emphasis that opponent 2PT and 3PT FG% + point differential is far and away more important versus where they are offensively in the rankings. Right now the P's are #1 in all three of those categories.

While I still believe they're going to wind up just shy of 70 (probably 67 wins) there is one exception to that. If they go 5-0 on this trip, consider me pushing my chips in for a 70 win season. This road trip should have two losses in it. If they beat expectations by going 5-0 then they're on track in my view of the rest of the season for 70 (technically, I'd have them at 69 games, but if they're CLOSE, I think they'll gun for 70 as this team is very conscious of records).

Pacers would need to go 37-5. Not going to happen. Beyond that though I don't really care. All I want from the regular season is to have the best record, if that means 62 win, 65 wins, I don't care. So have the best record and be as healthy as a team can be entering the playoffs, and I'll be thrilled.

I fear that if we were to get close to 70 wins it would become a distraction.

Also keep this in mind. I think you can count on 3 losses (maybe against inferior opponents) late in the season just because. Name your reason. Resting guys, a nagging injury. A letdown. But it will be because it is the last 10 games, Pacers will lose 3 games. (so hoinestly, i think the pacers would need to go 30-2 over the next 32 games to be in position to win 70. And that is not going to happen.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point in the Bulls' 72-win season, they had 3 losses. Just think about that. It feels like Indy has been one of the most dominant teams in history this year, and the Bulls of '95 were 37-3 at this point. Good grief. I guess I was too young to really remember that, I was just getting into the NBA and probably didn't appreciate what was happening, but man that was an incredible year for a team. Indy has an .825 win percentage this year --- Chicago was a full 10% higher at .925.

I don't think we'll hit 70, personally. 65+ is within reach though. I honestly don't really care if we do. If we hit 67, we'll have a top-10 all-time best win-loss record, and a well-deserved one. I'd be a-okay with that.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Pacers would need to go 37-5. Not going to happen. Beyond that though I don't really care. All I want from the regular season is to have the best record, if that means 62 win, 65 wins, I don't care. So have the best record and be as healthy as a team can be entering the playoffs, and I'll be thrilled.

I fear that if we were to get close to 70 wins it would become a distraction.

Also keep this in mind. I think you can count on 3 losses (maybe against inferior opponents) late in the season just because. Name your reason. Resting guys, a nagging injury. A letdown. But it will be because it is the last 10 games, Pacers will lose 3 games. (so hoinestly, i think the pacers would need to go 30-2 over the next 32 games to be in position to win 70. And that is not going to happen.
    Normally I would lean towards agreeing with you here... However our schedule for about a month and a half is about as cake as it gets. Not to say I expect or anything like that... But the Pacers could bust off a crazy streak within this time frame.

If the Pacers don't get 70 wins, whatever... I just want that sweet championship taste!
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

37-5 is close to 33-7. Pacers have already played the top Western teams on the road. 70 is possible
    David "And One" West

Its possible the East is abysmal(and no I don't think I'm exaggerating either) they can get a ton of wins right there alone but a lot of things have to go their way for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Normally I would lean towards agreeing with you here... However our schedule for about a month and a half is about as cake as it gets. Not to say I expect or anything like that... But the Pacers could bust off a crazy streak within this time frame.

If the Pacers don't get 70 wins, whatever... I just want that sweet championship taste!
    I think a mistake many make when looking at the schedule is that they don't look at the travel and number of games in a short period of time. So while the opponents might not look too tough, the travel and number of games is tough and IMO that is almost as important as the opponent. Sometimes the schedule beats you as much or more than the opponent. (I guarantee this 5 game road trip will cause what I call a schedule loss. Might cause two schedule losses)

I'm thinking that we'll win about 64-67, which would dust the 03-04 record. It should also comfortably give us the number 1 seed.

I just want us to get the number 1 seed and break that 03-04 record.

I'm going to repeat, only 73+ wins is meaningful in a more significant way than homecourt. 70 vs 69 is meaningless as long as the team has homecourt. Honestly, this team is good enough to win 73, even with the current record. It will be extremely difficult, the odds are against us. The Heat, Thunder, Spurs, and Trailblazers are the only teams that this team shouldn't win (no matter scheduling or traveling). We play them a combined 5 more times this season, only one game being away. 4-1 against them is easily possible with 4 home games. Take care of business against teams who aren't on our level, with only one let down, and we got a 73 win team. Extremely difficult, but this team can do it.

HCA is the main thing. But let's not rest guys unless they need it. The goal is a title and you don't win that in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    The Heat, Thunder, Spurs, and Trailblazers are the only teams that this team shouldn't win (no matter scheduling or traveling). We play them a combined 5 more times this season, only one game being away. 4-1 against them is easily possible with 4 home games.
    This right there is why I'm saying if the team goes 5-0 on this road trip I'm committing to 70. They will have knocked out 2 w.coast road trips at this point + of the remaining schedule it's hard to find losses, be it based on opponent quality or scheduling. The teams above are the real question marks, but all but one are at home, where the Pacers enjoy an incredible advantage.

Again, if you look at the key defensive stats + point differential, the Pacers are off the charts vs. the rest of the league. It's not even close this year.