Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 70 wins??

Default Re: 70 wins??

There is no way we go 5-1 on that road trip. We played Chicago without Deng and Noah and beat them. Then we got trounced. Otherwise, we have yet to play a really good team along the lines of OKC and San Antonio. 4 of those teams are better than anyone we have played this season except Chicago. This stretch will be a test. If we go 3-3 we passed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no way we go 5-1 on that road trip. We played Chicago without Deng and Noah and beat them. Then we got trounced. Otherwise, we have yet to play a really good team along the lines of OKC and San Antonio. 4 of those teams are better than anyone we have played this season except Chicago. This stretch will be a test. If we go 3-3 we passed it.
    Deng and Noah both played us both times

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we go 3-3 we would fare better than those teams would in a similar stretch. If we win one or two games I don't even think we can say,"this team is not as good as it's record". It's too early and the season is too long to make that assumption in a playoff situation.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

I truly believe we can grab 70 wins.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DangerGranger3pointranger For This Useful Post:

The easiest way to measure how good a team actually is during the regular season is measuring the offensive and defensive rating compared to the rest of the league. Teams win games they shouldn't, they lose games they shouldn't, but their offensive and defensive rating are pretty good showing us how good teams are.

Top 10 defenses are required to win championships and top 10 offenses are present on nearly EVERY Championship team EVER.

So how do the Pacers rate?? The Number 1 defense. That's good. The Spurs rank right behind them with the number 2 defense- (it should be noted that the Spurs competition is MUCH tougher than the Pacers, so they could actually have a better defense)

The offense? 17th. So according to the numbers, the Pacers aren't even good enough to win a championship.

After the Pacers get smacked around on this brutal road trip, I hope people come down to earth. This team is very good with room for improvement. But right now they aren't playing good enough to beat the Heat in a playoff series. The Heat or the Spurs.

The Spurs have the 3rd best Offense and the 2nd best defense. That's what a true contender looks like. People should note the differences.
    Last edited by mattie; 11-29-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

If I counted right, there are 3 teams that have top 10 offense and top 10 defenses right now. The Spurs, Thunder and the Heat. There would be a 4th, but Houston's defense is ranked at 11th right now. If they get their defense together, I think they could be a true contender as well.

The Pacers look a lot like they do last year at the moment. Dominant defense, and below average offense. You can't get it done that way against either the Thunder, The Heat or the Spurs. Or more to the point, one of those teams will eventually beat them.

So, considering the Pacers are at least at he moment, playing as the 4th best team in the league, I think the idea that they can win 70 games is insane.

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

More disconcerting, is the fact that the Pacers cupcake schedule should have boosted their ratings across the board- So the fact that their offense has still struggled as much as it had is not good news. This team needs more scoring. Hopefully Granger pushes them over the top.

I am starting to wonder about Vogel's offensive schemes tho.

Read it and weep:

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Deng and Noah both played us both times
    Correct. I was thinking about a preseason contest. So, we did beat Chicago once with their starters...but Rose was going through a rough patch at the time. The Bulls had also just lost to Philly...so they were not playing well. We, OTOH, had been playing well all season. The point here is that we are going to be tested more than any other time all season long. If we split, we are doing just fine.

Correct. I was thinking about a preseason contest. So, we did beat Chicago once with their starters...but Rose was going through a rough patch at the time. The Bulls had also just lost to Philly...so they were not playing well. We, OTOH, had been playing well all season. The point here is that we are going to be tested more than any other time all season long. If we split, we are doing just fine.

Don't need that.

Why is there always an excuse when the Pacers beat a "good team"? Did the Chicago *** whooping on the 16th not count because we weren't playing well? You guys sometimes....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 31Since1990 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Why is there always an excuse when the Pacers beat a "good team"? Did the Chicago *** whooping on the 16th not count because we weren't playing well? You guys sometimes....
    I will ignore your insult. The media has already reported the east is weak. I'm sorry if you don't believe that.

only 55 more to go.....
    David "And One" West

If we go 5-1, I might consider discussing winning 66 games

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    The easiest way to measure how good a team actually is during the regular season is measuring the offensive and defensive rating compared to the rest of the league. Teams win games they shouldn't, they lose games they shouldn't, but their offensive and defensive rating are pretty good showing us how good teams are.

Top 10 defenses are required to win championships and top 10 offenses are present on nearly EVERY Championship team EVER.

So how do the Pacers rate?? The Number 1 defense. That's good. The Spurs rank right behind them with the number 2 defense- (it should be noted that the Spurs competition is MUCH tougher than the Pacers, so they could actually have a better defense)

The offense? 17th. So according to the numbers, the Pacers aren't even good enough to win a championship.

After the Pacers get smacked around on this brutal road trip, I hope people come down to earth. This team is very good with room for improvement. But right now they aren't playing good enough to beat the Heat in a playoff series. The Heat or the Spurs.

The Spurs have the 3rd best Offense and the 2nd best defense. That's what a true contender looks like. People should note the differences.
    Does it require a very balanced team to win, or has it just been balanced teams that have won lately because no team has been able to be dominant on one side of the ball in recent years? I'm not sure rankings tell the whole story so far. There's a much higher margin between the Pacers defensively and the next best team than in normal years.

You compared it to last year, but I don't think last year's Pacers measure up. Their rankings were similar, but their dominance level was vastly different. Last year's Pacers team was first defensively and 19th offensively, but the difference between their offensive rating and defensive rating was only 4.5 points per 100 possessions, which was well behind the contenders.

This year's team? 1st defensively and 14th offensively as of this morning, so similar to last year. But the difference between their offensive and defensive ratings has shot up to +12.3 points per 100 possessions. That's highest in the league just ahead of San Antonio who is at +11.9.

The schedule strength is a good argument. It's why Sagarin has the Spurs at 1 ahead of the Pacers. But the Pacers have risen to number 2 even when accounting for the terrible schedule (they had been five earlier in the season but have risen recently).

There's nothing in the numbers that suggest the Pacers aren't a huge contender so far this season. They are a bit of an unusual one, but that's just because it's strange to see any unit lapping the field like the Pacers defense has so far this year. I'm guessing they won't be #1 in offensive-defensive rating difference after this next week, but they'll still be right up there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

You cant really measure our efficiency ratings so far in the season. Our starters are being used less than they will be later during tough stretches and during the playoffs.

The Pacers may have to win 70 just to get the #1 seed. Miami has quietly won 9 in a row and is 13 and 3 on the season, 2 games behind the Pacers. They've lost their 3 games by a combined 6 points.

The East is such a trainwreck that both Indiana and Miami might win 65 games. And it may only take 45 wins to get the 3rd seed.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Didn't know where else to drop this, so I'll just leave this here:

http://thebrooklyngame.com/stat-of-t...runs-new-york/

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

I had some time today to waste so I did some work with the schedule.

At our current record, 16-1, if we go .500 the rest of the way, we finish with 49 wins. That is probably enough for the #2 seed in this years East. That struck me as crazy, we have done a lot of work already in the season.

If we allow one loss to each playoff team, and sweep every single non-playoff team, allowing a 2-2 split with Miami, we would be at 66 wins. Folks, 70 wins is unlikely to say the least. I think 60 wins is not only possible, but I would say that it it probable right now. That would require us to go 44-21 the rest of the way.

BTW, we have Miami's undivided attention. After a couple of sloppy games in the first two weeks, they realize that they are going to have to play serious ball night in and night out, or they will not have home-court, and they know that they need the advantage or they are in real jeopardy.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    I had some time today to waste so I did some work with the schedule.

At our current record, 16-1, if we go .500 the rest of the way, we finish with 49 wins. That is probably enough for the #2 seed in this years East. That struck me as crazy, we have done a lot of work already in the season.

If we allow one loss to each playoff team, and sweep every single non-playoff team, allowing a 2-2 split with Miami, we would be at 66 wins. Folks, 70 wins is unlikely to say the least. I think 60 wins is not only possible, but I would say that it it probable right now. That would require us to go 44-21 the rest of the way.

BTW, we have Miami's undivided attention. After a couple of sloppy games in the first two weeks, they realize that they are going to have to play serious ball night in and night out, or they will not have home-court, and they know that they need the advantage or they are in real jeopardy.
    Dream scenario is that the Heat have to play tough ball every night, still don't get the #1 seed, and they end up being entirely worn out by the time the ECF rolls around. Our youth and improved depth could really be the difference this year.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Probably going to end up with about 65 wins if we stay healthy.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Dream scenario is that the Heat have to play tough ball every night, still don't get the #1 seed, and they end up being entirely worn out by the time the ECF rolls around.
    I can't imagine that happening. It's very possible LeBron is the only one who gets over 2000 minutes this season. The Pacers may get far enough ahead that the Heat start resting Bosh and Wade.

And, while it's way too early to do this, I'd set the odds at combined losses for the Pacers and Heat before the ECF at 1.5.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    You cant really measure our efficiency ratings so far in the season. Our starters are being used less than they will be later during tough stretches and during the playoffs.
    This is true... Vogel has used good rotations this season to save our legs. I think it's way too early to pay too much attention to efficiency ratings on offense OR on Defense...

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I can't imagine that happening. It's very possible LeBron is the only one who gets over 2000 minutes this season. The Pacers may get far enough ahead that the Heat start resting Bosh and Wade.

And, while it's way too early to do this, I'd set the odds at combined losses for the Pacers and Heat before the ECF at 1.5.
    I'd go way over 1.5 if that were a possible bet. The Bulls alone could make a 6 game series for the Pacers or Heat if they don't blow it up. They still are an annoying as hell team to play. I expect a couple teams to emerge and at least be gnats to make 4-1 or 4-2 series.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

70 ?? That's aiming low - according to:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

31.8% chance of winning it all?

I like.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    31.8% chance of winning it all?

I like.
    The Pacers are also the 2nd highest rated team in the NBA according to the Hollinger Power Rankings with a rank of 109.15. The Spurs are ranked 1st with a rank of 110.076.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!