Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 70 wins??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 70 wins??

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record, I don't think this is a ridiculous thread. It's early for it, but I think this will be bumped about mid-March when the Pacers will have a shot at it. They'll probably level off at 67 to 68 wins because they'll have the #1 overall seed wrapped up.

Remember, barring injuries, 60 wins is the Pacers floor.
    I'm beginning to think you're trying to reverse jinx us and I don't appreciate it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody with a winner's mentality is aiming for 82-0 in the regular season, and 16-0 in the postseason. When -- nay, if -- we lose our first regular season game, those of us with winner's mentalities will then be aiming for 81-1.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just want 16 wins in the playoffs
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That's what makes it the perfect nickname for Air Jordan. It's funny when people take it seriously.

Thing is, it's not really that funny, it just comes off like you are being petty and trying to belittle the guy. Like Republicans who intentionally say "Democrat party" instead of "Democratic party" just to be irritating. It's not funny enough to keep reading it dozens and dozens of times... it got old for me after, like, the second time.

Not trying to attack you, I enjoy your posts in general, just giving a little feedback, JMHO

EDIT: and no I'm not a big Jordan fan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Wow, the optimism in this thread is....interesting. The Pacers are a good team, but they aren't some unstoppable juggernaut.

It's early. Miami, Brooklyn, and Chicago are still rounding into form and will be much better later in the season.

This thread will be interesting when the Pacers lose 2 or 3 in a row.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    Thing is, it's not really that funny, it just comes off like you are being petty and trying to belittle the guy. Like Republicans who intentionally say "Democrat party" instead of "Democratic party" just to be irritating. It's not funny enough to keep reading it dozens and dozens of times... it got old for me after, like, the second time.

Not trying to attack you, I enjoy your posts in general, just giving a little feedback, JMHO

EDIT: and no I'm not a big Jordan fan

I'm just making a goofy reference to an image that will always look a bit funny (Jordan in 45). I'm not trying to belittle the GOAT......he's the one who decided to wear the digits for a bit. To be honest, I never realized people were paying that much attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Wow, the optimism in this thread is....interesting. The Pacers are a good team, but they aren't some unstoppable juggernaut.

It's early. Miami, Brooklyn, and Chicago are still rounding into form and will be much better later in the season.

This thread will be interesting when the Pacers lose 2 or 3 in a row.
    Well one of my silent goals for this team, that I hadn't put out there but I guess I will now, is to never lose more than 2 in a row. The 61 win team did that so I feel it is a very attainable goal to have

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Well one of my silent goals for this team, that I hadn't put out there but I guess I will now, is to never lose more than 2 in a row. The 61 win team did that so I feel it is a very attainable goal to have
    I've been thinking the same thing. That was a point of pride for them going into the playoffs... I'd love for our team to have that as well.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Well Yahoo has an article up on this question. OK I just read this and it just isn't a good article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indiana...0157--nba.html

COMMENTARY | The Indiana Pacers have an 8-0 record so far this season and have made all eight wins look very easy

They are probably the deepest team in the NBA and have one of if not the best starting lineups in the league as well. Add growing superstar Paul George to the core of David West, Roy Hibbert, Lance Stephenson, and George Hill, and you have a very formidable foe for any team in the league.

The question then becomes, can the Pacers match the '95-96 Chicago Bulls who went 72-10? Obviously, we are very early in the season, but this question has already been brought up by quite a few well-known analysts. There is no doubt that the Pacers are extremely talented and are one of the favorites to win a championship this year, but I just don't believe that they will wind up winning 72 games. My guess is that the Pacers wind up going around 64-18 or something along those lines, but I just can't see them topping the Bulls' record.

There are quite a few reasons to think about when comparing this year's Pacers to that historic Bulls team. First off, the Pacers do not have a player at the level that Michael Jordan was for the Bulls during that season. Paul George has become a great scorer, but he simply is no Jordan. The Bulls were able to give the ball to Jordan and overcome odds that most teams in this day and age would have no hope of beating.

Another thing to think about when it comes to this subject, is just how talented the rest of the NBA is. Indiana will have to face teams like the Miami Heat, Oklahoma City Thunder, Golden State Warriors, Chicago Bulls, and the Los Angeles Clippers this season, and those are all very tough games.

The length of the NBA season is something to keep an eye on as well, especially with a very young team. Indiana is relying heavily on a 23-year-old Paul George, who is in his first season as the clear No. 1 option on the team, while Lance Stephenson (23) also has a lot on his shoulders for being such a young basketball player. The Pacers have perhaps the deadliest front-court tandem in Roy Hibbert and David West to lean on, which certainly will help them make a run at the record. But I just don't see them being able to play that well each and every night.

There are reasons to consider why the Pacers could match or even beat the record. Their youth could very well work in their advantage a their young players won't wear out as quickly as older players would. We haven't seen Danny Granger play yet, and he could very well bolster the Pacers' bench even more and that would be a nightmare for opposing teams. Paul George could continue to improve even more as the season continues and put up even bigger numbers. The defense could be able to continue smothering even the best opposing offenses each and every night. But, overall, the Pacers have an uphill battle to fight to make history.

There's no doubt that the Pacers have the talent to match the 72-win season that the Bulls put up, but the consistency and experience are things that have yet to be proven about the team. We'll know a lot more about how good this Pacers team is in a few weeks after they play consistent basketball. I won't say that it's impossible for the Pacers to pull off the incredible feat of tying or beating the Bulls' record, and if they're able to start the season out at 15-0, maybe a follow-up article will be published.

But, for now, I believe that expectations and speculations should be calmed down just a bit.

Evan Massey lives in Indianapolis and has followed the Indiana Pacers for the past 16 years. He has written for many sports websites including ProSportsExtra.com, Hoops-Nation.com, ProFootballSpot.com, and NaptownsFinest.com. Follow Evan on Twitter at @massey_evan.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm just making a goofy reference to an image that will always look a bit funny (Jordan in 45). I'm not trying to belittle the GOAT......he's the one who decided to wear the digits for a bit. To be honest, I never realized people were paying that much attention to it.
    On topic, there's no way it'll be close to 70, thinking anywhere from 57-63 wins is more likely, but you never know.

Off topic to this, Jordan had no choice but to wear another number than 23 for the partial season, because it was already retired by the Bulls, and at least it was a rule then (may be now still) that you couldn't wear a retired number during the season.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    On topic, there's no way it'll be close to 70, thinking anywhere from 57-63 wins is more likely, but you never know.

Off topic to this, Jordan had no choice but to wear another number than 23 for the partial season, because it was already retired by the Bulls, and at least it was a rule then (may be now still) that you couldn't wear a retired number during the season.
    IIRC, Jordan switched back to 23 in the middle of the 95 playoffs against Horrorlando. Brick Anderson stole the ball from him at the end of one of those games and said something like "I guess 45 doesn't have the same magic as 23." Well, Brick should have known that the last thing you ever did was mouth off to Air. So the next game, 45 changed back into 23 and the Bulls won the game. Magic won the series though.

So I think that Jordan could have easily wore 23 when he came back if he wanted, and the Bulls would have just paid whatever fine. Jordan didn't play by any rules. He set the rules....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Well Yahoo has an article up on this question. OK I just read this and it just isn't a good article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indiana...0157--nba.html

COMMENTARY | The Indiana Pacers have an 8-0 record so far this season and have made all eight wins look very easy

They are probably the deepest team in the NBA and have one of if not the best starting lineups in the league as well. Add growing superstar Paul George to the core of David West, Roy Hibbert, Lance Stephenson, and George Hill, and you have a very formidable foe for any team in the league.

The question then becomes, can the Pacers match the '95-96 Chicago Bulls who went 72-10? Obviously, we are very early in the season, but this question has already been brought up by quite a few well-known analysts. There is no doubt that the Pacers are extremely talented and are one of the favorites to win a championship this year, but I just don't believe that they will wind up winning 72 games. My guess is that the Pacers wind up going around 64-18 or something along those lines, but I just can't see them topping the Bulls' record.

There are quite a few reasons to think about when comparing this year's Pacers to that historic Bulls team. First off, the Pacers do not have a player at the level that Michael Jordan was for the Bulls during that season. Paul George has become a great scorer, but he simply is no Jordan. The Bulls were able to give the ball to Jordan and overcome odds that most teams in this day and age would have no hope of beating.

Another thing to think about when it comes to this subject, is just how talented the rest of the NBA is. Indiana will have to face teams like the Miami Heat, Oklahoma City Thunder, Golden State Warriors, Chicago Bulls, and the Los Angeles Clippers this season, and those are all very tough games.

The length of the NBA season is something to keep an eye on as well, especially with a very young team. Indiana is relying heavily on a 23-year-old Paul George, who is in his first season as the clear No. 1 option on the team, while Lance Stephenson (23) also has a lot on his shoulders for being such a young basketball player. The Pacers have perhaps the deadliest front-court tandem in Roy Hibbert and David West to lean on, which certainly will help them make a run at the record. But I just don't see them being able to play that well each and every night.

There are reasons to consider why the Pacers could match or even beat the record. Their youth could very well work in their advantage a their young players won't wear out as quickly as older players would. We haven't seen Danny Granger play yet, and he could very well bolster the Pacers' bench even more and that would be a nightmare for opposing teams. Paul George could continue to improve even more as the season continues and put up even bigger numbers. The defense could be able to continue smothering even the best opposing offenses each and every night. But, overall, the Pacers have an uphill battle to fight to make history.

There's no doubt that the Pacers have the talent to match the 72-win season that the Bulls put up, but the consistency and experience are things that have yet to be proven about the team. We'll know a lot more about how good this Pacers team is in a few weeks after they play consistent basketball. I won't say that it's impossible for the Pacers to pull off the incredible feat of tying or beating the Bulls' record, and if they're able to start the season out at 15-0, maybe a follow-up article will be published.

But, for now, I believe that expectations and speculations should be calmed down just a bit.

Evan Massey lives in Indianapolis and has followed the Indiana Pacers for the past 16 years. He has written for many sports websites including ProSportsExtra.com, Hoops-Nation.com, ProFootballSpot.com, and NaptownsFinest.com. Follow Evan on Twitter at @massey_evan.

Just awkward phrasing throughout.
    @qandrews9428

Here is a NY times article on Jordan switching his number

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/12/sp...d-on-rise.html

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why are people getting upset about Jordan's #45?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Only 61 more wins....
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe the 1994 Rockets still hold the all-time undefeated record at 15-0 (and followed their first loss with another 7-gamer to get to 22-1) and they only finished with 58 wins that year. Just getting to 60 is really tough to do.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not 60, not 70, not 80....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

the eastern conference is historically bad this year. I could see only 3 teams finishing with a .500 record. We could win 70 games based on the easy schedule we have this year. I don't think we lose more than 4 home games this year. 37-4 at home. 33-8 on the road? not out of the question to get 70
    David "And One" West

3-2 in the next 5 would be really really good, just to keep things in perspective. 2-3 isn't awful. It's a long, long season. Great start, but it's just that. They'll have bad stints, just like every other team, ever. They'll lose games to injuries that will be impactful. I hope and think they can do something special, but I don't think this is it.

I want to read people's reaction after the west coast road trip
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Gotta Play Big

If we still only have 5 losses at the all-star break, we can talk about 70 wins at that time. I expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 62 wins.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I want to read people's reaction after the west coast road trip
    the west coast trip is nothing. LAC can't play any defense. Easy win
    David "And One" West

Portland, OKC, and UTAH also are bad defensive teams, and we are a terrible matchup for those teams. Spurs can play defense, and will be our only real challenge. We will be at worst 4-1, most likely 5-0. After we beat Washington tonight, another terrible defense, and the road trip is over, I am projecting a 19-2 record
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Portland, OKC, and UTAH also are bad defensive teams, and we are a terrible matchup for those teams. Spurs can play defense, and will be our only real challenge. We will be at worst 4-1, most likely 5-0. After we beat Washington tonight, another terrible defense, and the road trip is over, I am projecting a 19-2 record

Can i borrow your glasses?
    @qandrews9428

35. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

I think you need to look at it differently. Their defenses are not great, but the pace of their games have been faster and their offenses are very good. It will depend on whether we can slow them down, hold their offenses in check and actually score more points than we have been scoring.

I'm not saying we will lose most of the games, or even any of the games for that matter, but being successful is going to be more than just noting that their defenses have been substandard.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post: