Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 70 wins??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 70 wins??

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Better than any Bird-McHale-Parrish team, any Kareem-Worthy-Magic team, Philly's fo-fo-fo team, any Celtics 60s team, any of Wilts teams including the '72 Wilt-West-Goodrich team that won 33 straight or the 66-67 Wilt-Hal Greer-Chet Walker- Billy Cunningham team with 4 20 ppg scorers?

people seriously contemplating this question lack an appreciation for the history of our league
    I don't think it's bad to contemplate it. I wouldn't go around expecting it, though. Eventually, some team will be a 70 win team. There's a lot of chance involved in basketball games, and I think at some point a team that would normally win 63-65 games will get flukey results on the remaining games and will exceed their "normal" win amount.

When you actually think about it, even if you win absolutely every game you "should" win and you go .500 against the 4 best teams in each conference...you're already at least flirting with the 70 win line. There's too many good teams in the league right now I think. If LeBron played with a defensive big man I think they would get there though.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    What's crazy about our win against them in April 1996 is that Reggie wasn't even playing. 45 was just off that night for the Bulls. 9-23 shooting.
    Rik Smits played for the Pacers in the 1995-96 season. The Bulls didn't have a #45, so obviously that player couldn't be off.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Rik Smits played for the Pacers in the 1995-96 season. The Bulls didn't have a #45, so obviously that player couldn't be off.
    I don't understand why you would be opposed to calling a player by the number he wore for 1 partial season. /green
    Last edited by aamcguy; 11-11-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

For the record, I don't think this is a ridiculous thread. It's early for it, but I think this will be bumped about mid-March when the Pacers will have a shot at it. They'll probably level off at 67 to 68 wins because they'll have the #1 overall seed wrapped up.

Remember, barring injuries, 60 wins is the Pacers floor.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Just get the best record in the league to secure home court throughout the Pacers

If we're at a point where winning more games won't mean anything, I doubt Vogel would leave guys in at the end of the season and risk injuries
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Just get the best record in the league to secure home court throughout the Pacers

If we're at a point where winning more games won't mean anything, I doubt Vogel would leave guys in at the end of the season and risk injuries
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

We just need to secure the regular season championship belt!

On a serious note, it is quite possible, but I really don't care much as long as we get the #1 seed and #1 record overall for the HCA for the whole playoffs. Securing the home court gets us a little bit of an advantage in terms of moral support in case the series gets tight like the Miami series.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

Our bench might be capable of beating a few of these teams. Not to mention how many teams will be tanking for lottery position by that time.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I don't think it's bad to contemplate it. I wouldn't go around expecting it, though. Eventually, some team will be a 70 win team. There's a lot of chance involved in basketball games, and I think at some point a team that would normally win 63-65 games will get flukey results on the remaining games and will exceed their "normal" win amount.

When you actually think about it, even if you win absolutely every game you "should" win and you go .500 against the 4 best teams in each conference...you're already at least flirting with the 70 win line. There's too many good teams in the league right now I think. If LeBron played with a defensive big man I think they would get there though.
    The only time this thread is getting bumped is when the Pacers go on a 5-game losing streak in February and the Bulls pull to within 3 games of first place. The Pacers, as good as they have been, have just come out firing on all cylinders while other contenders are trying to find their legs. Everything will even out, but we'll still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    The only time this thread is getting bumped is when the Pacers go on a 5-game losing streak in February and the Bulls pull to within 3 games of first place. The Pacers, as good as they have been, have just come out firing on all cylinders while other contenders are trying to find their legs. Everything will even out, but we'll still be good.
    I think you quoted the wrong guy? I don't tend to think we're going to sniff 70 wins.

70 may be out of reach. 69 is plausible though.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I don't want to come near 70 wins. If we are sniffing 60 wins then that puts us in competition for the #1 seed. I'm happy with having a two game cushion for the #1 seed heading into the final few days of the season because if we are in that scenario, we will keep pushing to improve, will have found our best starting and bench lineups, and will still have a couple of days of rest heading into the first round of the playoffs. Too many games with nothing to play for might not be the best thing for this team.

The Bulls 72-10 season was amazing and even more so when you consider the level of talent in the NBA's top teams was much greater IMO.
    I'd be happy with any number of wins that gets us a #1 seed. Last year 55 wins could have got you the #1 seed in the East but Miami did it with 66.

Mood

If the Pacers get to 60 wins I'll talk about other goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    The Bulls 72-10 season was amazing and even more so when you consider the level of talent in the NBA's top teams was much greater IMO.
    I'd be happy with any number of wins that gets us a #1 seed. Last year 55 wins could have got you the #1 seed in the East but Miami did it with 66.
    You mean Miami only needed 55 wins for the no. 1 seed. Everybody else would have needed 67.

Like Mattie said earlier, unless our offense improves dramatically--we won't even see 60 wins...which isn't a bad thing at all.

Keep in mind we were down by double digits to NO, and TOR on separate occasions. We also have yet to meet any true high powered offensive teams (LAC, GS, OKC)

Let's enjoy the unbeaten ride for a few more games, be prepared when we go through our first 3-4 game losing streak, celebrate having 2 All Stars during the ASB, and peak towards the end of the season for our playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Like Mattie said earlier, unless our offense improves dramatically--we won't even see 60 wins...which isn't a bad thing at all.

Keep in mind we were down by double digits to NO, and TOR on separate occasions. We also have yet to meet any true high powered offensive teams (LAC, GS, OKC)

Let's enjoy the unbeaten ride for a few more games, be prepared when we go through our first 3-4 game losing streak, celebrate having 2 All Stars during the ASB, and peak towards the end of the season for our playoff run.
    We are a terrible matchup for GS
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    We also have yet to meet any true high powered offensive teams (LAC, GS, OKC)
    And they have yet to meet a defense like the Pacers.

Touche`.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    And they have yet to meet a defense like the Pacers.

Touche`.
    Not exactly true. They did play San Antonio...and managed to squeak 74 points out of that high powered offense.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

70 wins? Don't be ridiculous. We are 8 games in. I'm simply not willing to think so little of this team when 94-0 is still within reach.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    70 wins? Don't be ridiculous. We are 8 games in. I'm simply not willing to think so little of this team when 94-0 is still within reach.
    98-0 is also in play.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

We're probably going to go 8-64. Wiggins!

70 wins being absurd, I have an ambitious, way too early question I'll pose here in this thread where it likely fits:

What are the Pacers chances of going wire-to-wire with the #1 seed in the East? We won the first game of the season, and have led the East the whole way so far. We are currently perched atop the conference with a 3.5 game lead. So what say you? Can we go wire-to-wire?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I don't understand why you would be opposed to calling a player by the number he wore for 1 partial season. /green

That's what makes it the perfect nickname for Air Jordan. It's funny when people take it seriously.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    98-0 is also in play.
    I knew when we signed Rasual Butler that this was about as close to a sure thing as you can get