Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Ninja" Pacers and Why Aren't People Watching Them?

Default Re: The "Ninja" Pacers and Why Aren't People Watching Them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe, but the NBA never really tries anything different, so we really don't know.

I wouldn't be whining if for example, the Knicks had 5 ABC games to our 3. But the 6 to 0 ratio after we completely dismantled the Knicks in the playoffs is just a joke.

I get it to an extent. I understand giving a ton of games to the 90's Bulls, Lakers over the years, and Heat right now. All of those teams feature marquee stars and have been very successful. But the Knicks don't feature a marquee star and they haven't been very successful. They're only getting all of these games because of the size of the market they play in.
    Since those Marquee teams have to have an opponent you'd think a team like the Pacers should find their way onto ABC by default... as the opponent of one of the big market/marquee teams....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thats teamwork."

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Since those Marquee teams have to have an opponent you'd think a team like the Pacers should find their way onto ABC by default... as the opponent of one of the big market/marquee teams....
    And show the marquee team getting beat? Bite your tongue!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

This egregious slight cannot go unanswered. The Pacers organization must take their revenge by spending most of the next decade killing the national ratings for the finals. With a little luck maybe a match-up or two with the Grizzlies.

A Silver reign will be short-lived. The dude is from Duke. It is what he deserves.

I'm grateful we don't have a Christmas game so I don't have to see the Pacers wear those horrendous Christmas day jerseys that look like toddler NBA shirts.

i used to get upset by the lack of coverage but frankly, i prefer it. i would rather see the pacers as spoilers and the team the 'experts' ignore while they play and win and the 'experts' make excuses for why things aren't going as planned.

Sports Logo

Question to KStat and all that remember the 1st year that the Larry Brown led Pistons with Billups/Rip/BigBen/Tayshaun.

Were they underrated as well in their 1st time they made it to the NBA Finals?

For some reason, I think that they were a Team that the Media didn't really cover cuz there weren't any known "stars" ( at that time ) and were just known for their hard work/defense and ( I assume...cuz it was a Larry Brown run offense ) boring offense.

I'm not saying they were bad or anything...it's more that I thought that they weren't the super-well known team until they made it to the NBA finals....when people really started paying attention to them.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Your assuming that ratings and quality of team have a direct correlation.
    Because I didn't say anything about ratings, I assumed ratings and quality go together? How about you stop assuming I'm assuming things?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Question to KStat and all that remember the 1st year that the Larry Brown led Pistons with Billups/Rip/BigBen/Tayshaun.

Were they underrated as well in their 1st time they made it to the NBA Finals?

For some reason, I think that they were a Team that the Media didn't really cover cuz there weren't any known "stars" ( at that time ) and were just known for their hard work/defense and ( I assume...cuz it was a Larry Brown run offense ) boring offense.

I'm not saying they were bad or anything...it's more that I thought that they weren't the super-well known team until they made it to the NBA finals....when people really started paying attention to them.
    The Lakers were the more hyped team going into the 2004 Finals because they had Shaq/Malone/Kobe/Payton. They went through turmoil throughout the season (particularly with Kobe's criminal accusations and a Shaq/Kobe feud), but still made the Finals, so most thought they would seal the deal against Detroit. Plus they were the Lakers, which naturally entails hype. But then Detroit completely drilled them.

The Lakers were the more hyped team going into the 2004 Finals because they had Shaq/Malone/Kobe/Payton. They went through turmoil throughout the season (particularly with Kobe's criminal accusations and a Shaq/Kobe feud), but still made the Finals, so most thought they would seal the deal against Detroit. Plus they were the Lakers, which naturally entails hype. But then Detroit completely drilled them.
    They also had won 3 straight championships and had at the time the two biggest stars in the NBA in Kobe and Shaq.

if the pacers ever won 3 straight and have the two biggesat stars in the NBA, they will be overhyped

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Because I didn't say anything about ratings, I assumed ratings and quality go together? How about you stop assuming I'm assuming things?
    You mentioned marketing. Marketing the nba is concerned with ratings. Hence ratings.

And a sucky knicks team is simply more likely to produce good ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    You mentioned marketing. Marketing the nba is concerned with ratings. Hence ratings.

And a sucky knicks team is simply more likely to produce good ratings

I've complained about every marketing strategy for the NBA, not solely exclusive to TV.

Sounds like the chicken or the egg argument. The NBA tells their viewers about how unwatchable certain teams are, barely puts them on TV, and then wonders what they need to do in order to get ratings up.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-11-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo

I'm focusing on the Pistons...not the Lakers.

I seem to recall that all the hype was on the Lakers ( as you suggest ) and no one ( media included ) even considered the Pistons contenders ( much less a media darling ) until they handed the Lakers their butts on a platter.

Unless the Players are in some Nike or Adidas commercial....I'm guessing that if you ask the casual NBA fan who Paul George is....they'd ask, "Aren't they in the Beatles?"

That is what I am suggesting that the Pacers are at now....they are the best Team that casual NBA fans have no clue about.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.