Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Grammar Thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Grammar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His use of the word literally is not meant to be taken literally. He isn't using that word cause he doesn't understand what it means, he is using it wrongly on purpose cause, as cdash said, it puts an emphasis on what he is saying.

The one I hate is "a part" and "apart".

a part = to be part of something
    apart = to not be part of something

They have the complete opposite meaning, but people repeatably use apart when they mean a part.

No, he wasn't using it out of context...when I laughed and explain, he gave a silly grin and said, "Oh".

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Probably ought to address the "their", "there", and "they're" situation as well....

Mood

I have no ideal what you guys are all talking about... All your points are probably mute anyways..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

The one that is always cringe worthy for me and don't think it is so much a problem on this board is loose instead of lose. You see this all the time in various video game communities or where the average person is of younger age. Come on younger generation is it really that hard to know that loose is the opposite of tight and LOSE is the opposite of win.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

I am glad us intellectuals have finally made a thread about using gooder grammar.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

jus don't get us strted bout txtng runon sentces w/o puntaton always captoliz firs words minmze types din"t forge typ all of words rereader wut u post b4 2 make sur makes sents too ppl u don't no they migt not no wut ur tlkng about they prbly get mad strt tell u how 2 post wut rit they hav 2 due that am I rit or am I rit LOLOLOLOLOL

Translation:

Just don't get us started about texting run-on sentences without punctuation. Always capitalize the first words of each sentence. Minimize typos and don't forget to type all of the words you intend to include in your post to properly express a complete thought. As a suggestion, please re-read what you are about to post to make sure that it makes sense both to you as well as to others who don't know you. If others don't know you, or are unfamiliar with your viewpoints and posting style, they may not be able to figure out what you are talking about. Some people probably will get irritated and either no longer bother to read your posts, or worse, they may start telling you how you need to post.

You are likely thinking "What right do they have to do that?!?! Am I right, or am I right?", after which you will have a hearty laugh to yourself, after which you will continue about your posting, hopefully in a coherent fashion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

owl

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    Probably ought to address the "their", "there", and "they're" situation as well....
    Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    There are times when they're playing their best!
    First page.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Then and than.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It never bothers me when anyone corrects my grammar. We all need a little correcting sometimes. Although my bigger problem is typos.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It never bothers me when anyone corrects my grammar. We all need a little correcting sometimes. Although my bigger problem is typos.
    I agree, I always screw up typing they're and their. I know the difference, I usually catch it immediately after, but my fingers can't get it through their little minds that their is not the equivalent to they're.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The one I see on here a lot is "defiantly" when they meant "definitely".

Your and you're drives me nuts.
    to instead of too (not to be one of those guys, but this happens a lot in "Odd Thoughts")

Hanging prepositions drive me up the wall. Just because you stick another word after it doesn't make acceptable. Most people think that you just can't end a sentence in a preposition, but there are so many sayings that misuse them so it can be difficult.

The one I always struggle with is "its" and "it's". My grammar has started to go done hill since I left school.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    The one I always struggle with is "its" and "it's". My grammar has started to go down hill since I left school.
    I got your back.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    To be honest, the word that's usually misused in my presence...whether it be here, at work, with friends....is the word 'literally'.

For instance, I was talking with a guy at work (who's taking college courses, none-of-the-less), and said..."I saw her pic of her in only a t-shirt and panties on her facebook page, and my jaw literally dropped to the floor!"

I bet I hear this word misused, at least, two times a week.
    I think we need to see the picture to accurately judge his use of the word literally.

The one I see on here a lot is "defiantly" when they meant "definitely".

They have 20 back to back games. don't know if it is the most, but it is defiantly in the top3 most.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

LOL. It was late.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

The one I always struggle with is "its" and "it's".
    The bummer for me is when I use an IPad or an IPhone and auto-complete and the spelling corrector kicks in. Its will always end up as it's unless you backspace and correct it. There are a ton of other examples as well. And if I attempt to use the touch screen too quickly, I end up with a bunch of missed letters, so a simple word like "the" will end up as "he".

It's enough to drive a detailed perfectionist nuts. Or from some of your perspectives, it's enough to assure that I remain nuts. Whichever.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I work with a guy who says "granite" when he means "granted". He will say "Now don't take it for granite...."

Drives me in-FREAKING-sane!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I'd say about 50% of my grandfather's statements don't have no double negatives in them. One time he was about to use one of those rare triple negatives, but he caught himself on the third one and corrected it and I was like " Noooo, why God, WHY!".

Also, I never really Know where my periods (.) belong when use quotations or parenthesis (wait, is there two spellings of that).
    Last edited by Richard_Skull; 11-14-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: A GLARING Grammar Error in the GRAMMAR THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I love when opposing rivals talk about this team. It's the greatest compliment. Sure, IndyCornrows and 8points9seconds is going to right glowing reviews of the Pacer's performances. But when the Bulls, the same group who can barely stomach the thought of the Pacers as equals writes about the Pacers? Yeah awesome.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Fewer. Not less free throws. Not less points. Fewer points.

If you can count the things individually, use fewer. If its soup, or noise, or other things you can't count...use less.
    Great reminder! This is one that I forget sometimes.

My personal pet peeves are when someone says, "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". Another is when someone mistakes the word "to" with "too" (meaning also). The third peeve is when someone mistakes the word "specific" with "pacific". This last example happens more often in speech than on this forum but the two words are polar opposites in their meaning.

Ultimately, grammar isn't that big of a deal in this forum because it doesn't impact the Pacers win/loss record. We need to keep it in it's proper perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Also, I never really no where my periods (.) belong when use quotations or parenthesis (wait, is there two spellings of that).
    Technical grammar says punctuation goes inside the quotes. Modern in-use style has begun accepting punctuation outside the quotes when the punctuation is not part of the quoted phrase. I don't think any of the manuals of style have picked that up yet.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Saw this quote and thought of this thread:

"So I find it ironic that I'm doing an interview with you about Man of the Year when I feel — literally — like a bunch of people just took a s--t on my face," the 32-year-old musician/actor says in the first line of the article.
    Justin Timberlake, feel free to subscribe to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Technical grammar says punctuation goes inside the quotes. Modern in-use style has begun accepting punctuation outside the quotes when the punctuation is not part of the quoted phrase. I don't think any of the manuals of style have picked that up yet.
    I have always disagreed with putting the punctuation inside of the quotes. It doesn't make logical sense for the punctuation to go inside when the punctuation isn't actually part of the quote.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I have always disagreed with putting the punctuation inside of the quotes. It doesn't make logical sense for the punctuation to go inside when the punctuation isn't actually part of the quote.
    Logic? And Grammar? Man, we talkin' about GRAMMAR.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This varies -- I think -- even between Americans and RP speakers. As an English major (great use of my time), I never even bothered to learn the "official" styling because it was so helter-skelter among different sources. I just went with what seemed logical and easy-to-understand for the audience of my papers.

But, honestly, I'm not sure if punctuation should be including in a topic concerning grammar. It's more an issue of style, as you are alluding to, than one that can hinder understanding (such as misuse of words).

EDIT: Unless it's something like "man, eating dog" or "man-eating dog."
    Last edited by kidthecat; 11-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to kidthecat For This Useful Post: