Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insider request: Are Pacers better than the Heat?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, the Heat are the champs until someone else wins in the finals.

But I'd rather be the team forcing them to work at keeping it than to be just another speed bump.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Insider request: Are Pacers better than the Heat?

When the Colts won the SuperBowl, they were defending champs. nothing more nothing less. only defending the crown (or belt if you prefer). Heat are defending a crown this season, that does not mean they are the best team. Much like the Colts were not the best team the following year.

Both the Heat and Pacers will improve as the season goes on. No one is crowning a team champion in November, way to much can happen between now and then. Other teams will improve in the east also like Brooklyn, Chicago.

on paper at full strength I believe the Pacers are one of only a few teams that can a win a crown this year. As of right now the Pacers are not exactly at full strength. Grangers return if healthy makes the Pacers the better TEAM.

I hope to see MIA in the playoffs, preferable ECF. Bron, Wade will be forced to play 48 minutes every game. No way MIA can stack up with our depth. If Wade is less than 75-80% I don't believe Bron get beat the Pacers 4 games by himself.

Way to early to even think about really. like another poster stated above, we as Pacers fans need to just enjoy the ride. Who knows what Legend may do at the trade deadline. As of right now, don't care one bit about the Heat. Pacers need to get Granger back and integrated with the offense.

as Hicks said.

We will find out. its gonna be fun season.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a image capture of the article just in case people need to know what stock images were used.

http://i.imgur.com/UKBKc75.jpg
    You forgot to edit out your name.

Banned
    Mood

For once I actually agree with Slick Pinkham on something.

The Heat are the odds-on favorites, and have earned a certain amount of respect for being not just last year's champion, but the previous year's as well.

Here's the thing, though: Neither of those past championships logically entail that Miami is the best team this year.

Are they the team to beat? Sure.

Are they the best team in the league? That remains to be seen. All we can say for certain is that they have a proven track record, but a proven track record only proves past accomplishments, not current and future accomplishments.

If people like KStat want to let bumper sticker-like cliches do their thinking for them, so be it. I'll stick to logic.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    When the Colts won the SuperBowl, they were defending champs. nothing more nothing less. only defending the crown (or belt if you prefer). Heat are defending a crown this season, that does not mean they are the best team. Much like the Colts were not the best team the following year.
    When the Colts won that Super Bowl, it was the first one they had made it to. That's a big difference than the Heat, who have made the Finals three straight years and have won two straight. Also, the NFL has way more of an unpredictability factor to it because of the one and done format. The NBA is way different because you have to beat a team 4 out of 7 times. That's tough to do when the opponent has one of the greatest players in league history who happens to be in his prime.

We can win more games this season than the Heat. We can win the season series against them like we did last year. We can top them in "expert" power rankings. But we're not going to be a better team than them until we prove on the court that we can eliminate them 4 out of 7 times when the stakes are highest. We all hate Miami, but they are at the top of the mountain and it's going to have to be taken away from them.

I agree with you that we need to just enjoy the ride. This Pacer team obviously has a nice chance to win it all.

If you prove you're the better team by beating someone, doesn't that mean you were the better team before you beat them, logically?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If you prove you're the better team by beating someone, doesn't that mean you were the better team before you beat them, logically?

I don't think so. A lot of the time I think it's more the old cliche, 'Any given Sunday,' or the other cliche, 'the best team doesn't always win.' In other words the best team usually wins, but not always.

What mucks up the odds and confounds the experts and the pro gamblers is the 'never say die' ' Miracle on Ice,' human spirit. The fact is you can be the overwhelming best and still not win a given contest, or even a given series, because the other guy or team just refuses to lose.

And sometimes a match is so dead even that who wins depends on who gets the last shot. Other times it's who's 'hot' at the given moment.

I was thinking of a playoff series rather than one game.

I was thinking of a playoff series rather than one game.
    I still don't think so. They play the games to prove who's best, but it only proves who's best at that moment in time. For example sometimes teams will take turns winning. Other times one team will win the first of 3 and then lose the next 4. (Yankees/Boston) a few years ago.

It's convention nowadays to say whoever wins is the best, and often that's true, but even winning a championship doesn't always prove you are the best.

Have you ever beaten someone you know is better than you at something, it happens all the time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    When the Colts won that Super Bowl, it was the first one they had made it to. That's a big difference than the Heat, who have made the Finals three straight years and have won two straight. Also, the NFL has way more of an unpredictability factor to it because of the one and done format. The NBA is way different because you have to beat a team 4 out of 7 times. That's tough to do when the opponent has one of the greatest players in league history who happens to be in his prime.

We can win more games this season than the Heat. We can win the season series against them like we did last year. We can top them in "expert" power rankings. But we're not going to be a better team than them until we prove on the court that we can eliminate them 4 out of 7 times when the stakes are highest. We all hate Miami, but they are at the top of the mountain and it's going to have to be taken away from them.

I agree with you that we need to just enjoy the ride. This Pacer team obviously has a nice chance to win it all.
    fk the heat. dirty ckskrs. bron cant carry that team foreva. and his commericals suck.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    fk the heat. dirty ckskrs. bron cant carry that team foreva. and his commericals suck.
    spolstera can lick it. so can riley.

For the record, I think the Spurs were a hair better than the Heat last year. Homecourt, and getting lucky enough to get a rebound and the ball back in Ray Allens hand has to be seen as a fortunate turn of events. The Heat should have lost.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

did anyone else see the halftime feature Saturday night on Scola. He was asked why he wanted to come to the pacers and he told a story about he and his son watching the Pacers vs Heat in the ECF. He said before the series he expected the heat to win, but it became clear to him that the Pacers were a better "team" and that was when he decided he wanted to play here

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    did anyone else see the halftime feature Saturday night on Scola. He was asked why he wanted to come to the pacers and he told a story about he and his son watching the Pacers vs Heat in the ECF. He said before the series he expected the heat to win, but it became clear to him that the Pacers were a better "team" and that was when he decided he wanted to play here
    Scola is a bad ***!!!
    David "And One" West

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Yes, the Heat are the champs until someone else wins in the finals.

But I'd rather be the team forcing them to work at keeping it than to be just another speed bump.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    The Heat are the NBA Champs as much as the Pacers are the Central Champs/Spurs are the WC Champs.

History, baby. No one is a '13/'14 champ as of now, and there's no reason to be concerned about it. The Pacers are doing their job (winning games) while the Heat are not (4-3, with all 3 losses baaaddd).

Personally, I wish the Heat were coasting. The best way to beat this team is by getting the #1 seed, and the best chance of that happening is Miami getting apathetic. Unfortunately, they're getting an early wake-up call that they can't expect to waltz to the title.

Regardless...I'm concerned about winning right now. The playoffs will be here way too soon regardless