Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fan reaction to Tyler Hansbrough tonight

Default Re: fan reaction to Tyler Hansbrough tonight

Though Scola hasn't provided as much as expected in his place, the team Hansbrough left looks as good as ever and presents an even bigger challenge than the Chris Bosh-less Miami Heat did earlier in the week.
    lol what? Isn't Scola averaging double figures coming of the bench?

Scola's giving us 7/2.5. I'm not complaining but he's not been some grand slam or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scola's giving us 7/2.5. I'm not complaining but he's not been some grand slam or something.
    His stats aren't good, but it's what he's doing at all that is different and significant from Tyler. He's making mid range shots that Tyler couldn't give us, which changes the way teams can (or rather can't) guard us. That alone is a big deal.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    His stats aren't good, but it's what he's doing at all that is different and significant from Tyler. He's making mid range shots that Tyler couldn't give us, which changes the way teams can (or rather can't) guard us. That alone is a big deal.
    Exactly. The reporter who wrote the article is a Raptors one so I doubt that he has seen a lot of our games so far.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His passing is a lot better too. He's not a blackhole.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I think Vogel needs to put more effort into getting Scola more touches. There were some shots forced tonight by OJ and PG that should have went to Scola in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, he's gonna get a lot more applause than you guys seem to think. A lot of people loved Tyler, for whatever reason. I'd give him a couple claps but that'd be it.
    I like Tyler.

It surprised me that he didn't improve. (Because he seems like the type of guy that would.) And I know he's not really even a good player. But I enjoyed watching him.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

His FG percentage is great, which is most important for him. He just needs to get the ball more. He's shooting 60%, so he needs to shoot more than 6 times per game.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I like Tyler.

It surprised me that he didn't improve. (Because he seems like the type of guy that would.) And I know he's not really even a good player. But I enjoyed watching him.
    I always liked him too. He was reasonably solid for a guy that was the 13th pick in the draft. Like you, I was surprised that he never improved that much. It seems as though most of what Seth said about him was unfortunately true. He hit his peak in the 2010-11 season and never really got any better. In fact, he got worse. Game 1 against Chicago in 2011 was probably the peak of his career. He was pretty damn good down the stretch in that 2011 season. I was just looking at his splits, and in March of 2011, he averaged 16.8 PPG/7.1 RPG/ 49.8 FG%. He got 29 and 30 in back to back games against New York. The guy was just on fire down the stretch that year, but it unfortunately was all downhill after that. There's probably a lot of truth to the fact that he was more productive as a starter, and the addition of West in 11-12 certainly changed his role.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1/splits/2011/

I was ready to move on from him after last season, but I'll always like him. He was far better than so many of the other scrubs who have been brought in here over years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always liked Tyler. Yes, his offense and defense were at (many) times very frustrating to watch.

However, he always gave us those Jeff Foster-like intangibles, and you knew without a doubt he was always going to give the Pacers absolutely EVERYTHING he had in his tank.

For that, I'll always be a fan. But I am glad he got a L tonight and didn't injure any of our guys

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I like Tyler.

I've got no qualms with that, well, other than enjoying watching him, but tastes differ. I definitely appreciated his effort, that's all you can really ask of a guy. But it's like the old Chris Rock "so you take care of your kids" skit, what you want, a cookie for doing what you're supposed to? I don't hate the guy or anything, I just don't really care one way or the other. Same goes for pretty much every guy I can think of that's gone elsewhere in the last however many years. Danny'll be the first one I'd give an audible cheer to.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I bet he gets booed. He was hated around here during his UNC days. Now that he is no longer a Pacer, he will be treated as Carolina Tyler
    You called it, a lot more boos than cheers. Honestly I was surprised.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Is it just me or did Tyler seem a little bitter in the pre-game interview? He kind of blew off the hype of coming back and said..."it is what it is". On the article I had the same reaction as some of you. Scola has already brought more to the team than Tyler ever did. 100 percent effort or not.
    Last edited by presto123; 11-09-2013 at 03:09 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Did enjoy the factual Scola's better chant from Area55 when Tyler was on the floor and yes I couldn't help myself because I like to boo.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Did enjoy the factual Scola's better chant from Area55 when Tyler was on the floor and yes I couldn't help myself because I like to boo.
    it's all in fun I guess, but what's the point? it was our decision not to keep Tyler, not like he left for bigger money or something. if a guy spurned us I'd get it, but we had no interest in keeping him, that's not his fault. just seems petty. is Area 55 gonna give Pendergraph chants about how Copeland sits on the bench better?

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Its not like he wanted to leave Indy...he deserve an applaud or cheer
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

I was pretty disappointed in our fanbase with the boos. Tyler was not a bad backup forward, he did not have some huge contract that he didn't live up to, he didn't spurn the team, he didn't say anything that insulted the team or the fans. Why the hate? And to say that Scola has been better than Tyler ever was is simply false so far. I think he will be of course, but Tyler has had some very, VERY effective games for us where he basically carried the team to victory. The fact of the matter is, sometimes the Pacers just get out of sorts. Tyler was the one guy that didn't go up and down like that. Not that his effectiveness wasn't up and down, but he played the same all the time (with the exception of the dropoff in his jumper) and the difference was usually due to how the game was called or how athletic his defender was. I've said it a number of times before, we didn't lose any games because of Tyler, but he did win us some games.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    I was pretty disappointed in our fanbase with the boos. Tyler was not a bad backup forward, he did not have some huge contract that he didn't live up to, he didn't spurn the team, he didn't say anything that insulted the team or the fans. Why the hate? And to say that Scola has been better than Tyler ever was is simply false so far. I think he will be of course, but Tyler has had some very, VERY effective games for us where he basically carried the team to victory. The fact of the matter is, sometimes the Pacers just get out of sorts. Tyler was the one guy that didn't go up and down like that. Not that his effectiveness wasn't up and down, but he played the same all the time (with the exception of the dropoff in his jumper) and the difference was usually due to how the game was called or how athletic his defender was. I've said it a number of times before, we didn't lose any games because of Tyler, but he did win us some games.
    It probably came from the fickle bandwagon fans.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    He had the misfortune of being our best bench player. He's really not good enough to carry a bench unit's scoring like he was asked to do by fans here. If he's allowed to (told to?) Play within himself he's an effective backup and capable spot starter.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think a lot more of the fans did not like Tyler than this forum realizes. I will count the Pacers rescinding the offer as one of the greatest days in franchise history, Tyler was the last vestige of the Larry Bird picking up crappy white guys who reminds him of himself period. I had to laugh when I heard the boos and glad to see more fans saw what I saw from him.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

He DID ask to be released from being a restricted free agent...just sayin'.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    He DID ask to be released from being a restricted free agent...just sayin'.
    ?

Didn't we put out the QO and then rescind it? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I get it, but if you're no longer a Pacer I'm going to boo during the game. Before or afterward I don't boo anyone unless you're a Bulls fan leaving BLF after being an @ss.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

35. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

I am pretty sure we withdrew the QO upon his request.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    I am pretty sure we withdrew the QO upon his request.
    that's the story I remember. I get the feeling we viewed him as a(n expiring contract) trade chip and he wanted some long term stability that he unfortunately (for him) didn't find. still got a better deal that what we'd have given though. Tyler's probably gonna bounce around the league a good bit the rest of his career.