Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan reaction to Tyler Hansbrough tonight

Default fan reaction to Tyler Hansbrough tonight

What do you expect and what will you do if you are going to be at the game.

My standard response to this is I generally will give a former Pacers player a respectful applause when introduced either before the game or if they aren't starting then when they enter the game, but as soon as the play starts, they are treated just like any other NBA player by me.

So tonight I would give a polite applause when it is announced Tyler is entering the game, but that is it and I hope he doesn't play well tonight at all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: fan reaction to Tyler Hansbrough tonight

If you are interested. here is a story from the Toronto Star about Tylker coming back to Indiana to play the pacers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/07...-face-old-team

Raptors forward Tyler Hansbrough returns to Indiana to face old team

CHARLOTTE - Until just recently, the only NBA home Tyler Hansbrough had known was Indianapolis.

The Missouri native spent four seasons with the Indiana Pacers after being selected 13th overall in 2009 following a storied career with the North Carolina Tar Heels.

That doesn't mean the big man is about to get sentimental about his return with the Raptors on Friday - that's just not in his nature.

"No, it's not (going to be weird). It's just another game to me," Hansbrough said earlier this week when queried about whether he had any special feelings about the contest.
    "I'm a Raptor now, so I'm trying to go in there and get a win like I would any other arena."
    Many players would feel differently than Hansbrough.

He spent a lot of time in Indiana and was on some good teams. But things didn't go exactly as planned after his nearly unprecedented collegiate success. After enjoying the touches and trappings of life as a superstar at North Carolina, Hansbrough had to adapt to a vastly different situation for a franchise that was just turning the corner from a middling outfit to a playoff squad once he got back in top form following head and neck issues.

Hansbrough was mostly a reserve, starting just 38 of 251 regular-season contests for Indiana and five of 35 post-season matches. Then, perhaps partly because he'd made it known he was looking for more playing time, the team rescinded its qualifying offer last summer, making him an unrestricted free agent. He signed a one-year-deal with a team option for a second with Toronto not long after that and the Pacers used the money saved to add Luis Scola and scorer Chris Copeland, who has played sparingly this season.

If Hansbrough took Indiana's decision personally, he isn't letting it show. At all.
    When pressed again whether he'd circled Friday's date on the calendar upon signing with the Raptors, Hansbrough was clear. No big deal.

"I understand who we're playing. I'm not the type of guy to get emotional or something like that, look back at all the things," he said.

"I'm more of a present guy. This is where I am now and this is what I'm trying to do. I don't really look at the past that much like that."

Former Pacers teammate Josh McRoberts, who insists the two never were bitter rivals, despite starring at UNC and Duke at the same time - "We only played each other three or four times in our life," McRoberts said. - figured that's how his friend would handle this situation.

"It will be a little bit different being in a familiar arena, but I think the style of player he is and how hard he plays, I don't think it will affect him at all, McRoberts, now a Charlotte Bobcats forward, said.

While Hansbrough says Friday will be business as usual, McRoberts admitted that seeing him crash and bang against his former teammates will be a bit strange to watch.
    Though Scola hasn't provided as much as expected in his place, the team Hansbrough left looks as good as ever and presents an even bigger challenge than the Chris Bosh-less Miami Heat did earlier in the week.

The Pacers have jumped out of the gate 5-0 and have been menacing defensively. The team doesn't score a ton, but doesn't have to, because opponents have been held to just 84.4 points per game on 37.5% shooting. The Pacers have allowed a full nine points fewer per game than the next closest team, Boston.

Teams have been stymied inside by Roy Hibbert (league-best 5.2 blocks per game) and David West (sixth with a two-block average), as well as the length and aggressiveness of wings Paul George and Lance Stephenson.

Hansbrough certainly will match Indiana's intensity. For the Raptors to have a shot, a bunch of his new teammates will need to follow suit.

RAPTOR NOTES

D.J. Augustin also makes his return to Indiana, though he only played one season there. Raptors coach Dwane Casey hopes Augustin will be more aggressive and look to take more jumpers. "He's a shooter, he's a big-time shooter. He's just finding his rhythm. I think he's trying to be a good teammate now, trying to find his teammates and moving the ball. I think that may be taking away from his shooting a bit," Casey said ... The team's top gunner, forward Steve Novak, continues to work his way toward a return from a back ailment. He remains day-to-day.

COMPARISON
    Hansbrough spent four seasons with the Pacers after being selected 13th overall in the 2009 NBA Draft. A three-time all-American while at the University of North Carolina and the Atlantic Coast Conference's career leading scorer, Hansbrough started 38 of 251 games with the Pacers. Here are some of his numbers there and what he's averaging as a Raptor:

• As Pacer: 251 games, 8.9 points per game, 4.7 rebounds, 13.4 total rebound percentage, 19.7 minutes, .427 FG%
    • As Raptor: 5 games, 7.0 points, 6.6 rebounds, 19.7 total rebound percentage, 19.6 minutes, .611 FG%

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you expect and what will you do if you are going to be at the game.

My standard response to this is I generally will give a former Pacers player a respectful applause when introduced either before the game or if they aren't starting then when they enter the game, but as soon as the play starts, they are treated just like any other NBA player by me.

So tonight I would give a polite applause when it is announced Tyler is entering the game, but that is it and I hope he doesn't play well tonight at all.
    My guess is he will receive the golf clap of approval. A few people hated him a few people loved him but overall I think the general fan base was ambivalent towards him.

He won't get the vitriol that Dunleavy gets

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

If I were going, I would politely applaud and that'd be that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Give him a polite initial reception, then he's the enemy the rest of the night.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expect that he will get a decent round of applause, which will tee up the first NaptownSeth post of the young season.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

How did DJ Augustine get picked up by another team?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

He will get a much larger positive reaction than a player of his ability would normally get.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

I think that Tyler should check for the status of his pants, because I believe that they may well be smoldering.

He probably won't score much, but I suspect he will be solid defensively and will get a respectable amount of boards.

Good luck to Tyler. Bad luck to the Raptors. Go Pacers!

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    He will get a much larger positive reaction than a player of his ability would normally get.
    Yeah, he's gonna get a lot more applause than you guys seem to think. A lot of people loved Tyler, for whatever reason. I'd give him a couple claps but that'd be it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We can talk about his strengths or his flaws all day - as we have many times before. That being said, the guy gave us 110% every second he was on the court. For that I am grateful, I would hope to see our fans give him a very warm reaction.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I bet he gets booed. He was hated around here during his UNC days. Now that he is no longer a Pacer, he will be treated as Carolina Tyler
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the fan reaction will be pleasant initially. My prediction for the game is:

Hans is all hustle and heart but he's as stubborn as they come on offense and that's not going to work against Roy, David, or Ian. Once he get's his shot blocked a couple of times the crowd will probably laugh and remember why their glad he's no longer on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    We can talk about his strengths or his flaws all day - as we have many times before. That being said, the guy gave us 110% every second he was on the court. For that I am grateful, I would hope to see our fans give him a very warm reaction.
    this. why someone would boo him is beyond me. don't know a thing about college ball though.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    How did DJ Augustine get picked up by another team?
    Wiggins

I never applaud for ex players, except like when Dale Davis came back. Nor do I boo, unless its like Dunleavy, who I think is a tool. Otherwise, its the name on the front.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/07...-face-old-team

Though Scola hasn't provided as much as expected in his place, the team Hansbrough....
    Whut?

Haha well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I never applaud for ex players, except like when Dale Davis came back. Nor do I boo, unless its like Dunleavy, who I think is a tool. Otherwise, its the name on the front.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo

What's the over/under on how many times that Hansbrough's shot will be blocked by the Pacers?

I'm going with with over 5 shots.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    What's the over/under on how many times that Hansbrough's shot will be blocked by the Pacers?

I'm going with with over 5 shots.
    Roy triple double

I won't boo when he checks in but as soon as play starts you better believe I'll boo.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Roy triple double
    That would require him getting over 10 points.

Love ya Big Roy, just kidding!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Roy triple double
    Roy getting double digit blocks on Hansbrough? Totally

Sloan or CJ getting a combined 10 block shots on Hansbrough? Entirely within the realm of possibility.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think the forum love-hate for Tyler is not actually indicative of the arena love-hate for Tyler. I don't expect he'll get an overly large reception any different than any other former Pacer making their return of similar skill level and minutes.

Polite applause at best and then he'll be the enemy. And considering the nature of his game he'll probably get lots of fan attention once the ball is tipped.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No matter what he says...this will be very personal for Tyler...remember the Cleveland game when lil brother Ben got picked on? fireworks wouldnt be totally unexpected tonight