Thread: BR report: Paul George wants Pacers to not be "little brother" any more

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default BR report: Paul George wants Pacers to not be "little brother" any more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-chicago-bulls

Paul George and the Indiana Pacers took care of the Chicago Bulls in an impressive 97-80 win Nov. 6, but it sounds like the Central Division’s new alpha dogs aren’t going to be satisfied with one measly win.

The Pacers want to own an era.

Per Steve Aschburner of NBA.com, George laid it all out after Indy’s big victory:

"We want to step away from that shadow as the ‘little brothers’ of this division,” George told NBA.com. “Their success is the Michael Jordan era. This is a new age, this is a new team. It’s ours till they take it.”

That’s some big talk from a 24-year-old, but George and the Pacers have proved they can back it up. The win over Chicago was just the latest example of the trend that had been developing since Derrick Rose went down 18 months ago.

Since that time, the Pacers have taken the last three meetings against Chicago in Indiana and four out of five altogether. Not only that, but Indiana came within a whisper of last year’s NBA Finals while the Bulls bowed out in the second round.

Granted, Rose wasn’t a part of Chicago’s 2012-13 season, which, up until this year, served as something of an asterisk on Indiana’s ascent. Most people viewed the Pacers as placeholders for the Bulls; a team that would surely relinquish its hold on the division as soon as D-Rose and his buddies got the band back together.

But now we know that Rose’s return hasn’t changed the new dynamic in the division. The Pacers aren’t interested in giving up control, no matter who suits up for the Bulls. The way Indy rocketed away from Chicago in the fourth quarter proved that.

With the Pacers beating the Bulls, and adding Scola and Watson, they have set themselves up to have another ECF showdown with the Heat!
    — Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) November 7, 2013

Now, it’s the Bulls who are looking up at the Pacers.

Young, undefeated and boasting the league’s most dominant defense, Indiana is firmly in charge of the central division and will almost certainly pose the biggest playoff threat to the Miami Heat.
    Smothered Chicken!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: BR report: Paul George wants Pacers to not be "little brother" any more

I like that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: BR report: Paul George wants Pacers to not be "little brother" any more

His game this year has certainly seemed to have a "I'm making a statement" purpose.

I love how we're taking the shot at the Bulls. You're not going to see us talk too much trash at Miami because we have to give them respect for being the two time champs, but it's pretty obvious that our team is not terribly scarred of the Bulls. Now I don't want us to get overly cocky or anything, but a little trash talking and swagger is fine, especially when you prove it on the court like we did the other night. It has to just drive the Bulls nuts. You could see it on their faces at the end of the game.

Next Saturday in Chicago will be intense.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

First George Hill...now Paul....guess we dont believe in letting sleeping dogs lay...

Yup...next Saturday is gonna be interesting. Hope G squared is prepared to back up the talk and get a victory...cause without a victory, theres gonna be a whole lotta crow to swallow. And coming from Bulls and Bulls fans theres few things that are worse.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First George Hill...now Paul....guess we dont believe in letting sleeping dogs lay...

Yup...next Saturday is gonna be interesting. Hope G squared is prepared to back up the talk and get a victory...cause without a victory, theres gonna be a whole lotta crow to swallow. And coming from Bulls and Bulls fans theres few things that are worse.
    Wait - you mean splitting the games home and home somehow "proves" the Bulls were better all along? Holy cow, it isn't like we said the weren't worthy of notice (like they basically said about us).

And even though my gut indignation is the above, I'll answer my own question by saying, "of COURSE it does. If the Bulls win by 1 then they'll be crowned Media Central Division Champions again and the Pacers will be flung back to the 'old news' pile." Unlike the Bulls/Heat/Knicks/Lakers, if the Pacers want to remain relevant they are going to have to excel constantly, not just be good.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

So does the time table have Granger up to return before next Saturday?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: