Thread: Fox Article: Artest to practice sometime next week

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Fox Article: Artest to practice sometime next week

Sorry if this is a repeat post:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3341960

-----
    Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest will return to practice next week for the first time since being suspended for the remainder of the season after fighting with Detroit fans on Nov. 19.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Friday that the Pacers have been working with commissioner David Stern and the league to get Artest to practice, but stressed that he has not been reinstated.

"The league has allowed us to bring him back to practice," Walsh said. "I'm sure he will return sometime next week."

Depending on the team's practice schedule, the All-Star could be back with his teammates as early as Monday. Walsh said the team received the go-ahead to allow Artest to practice about two weeks ago, but the Pacers' glut of road games prevented them from doing so until now.

Walsh said it was important to get Artest back with the team in some way so he did not feel abandoned while sitting out the entire season.

"He's isolated," Walsh said. "I think it'll be good for him and it will be good for the team."

Artest has spent some time in Conseco Fieldhouse working out on his own, and Walsh said he is eager to rejoin his teammates. He will not be able to attend games or go on road trips.

"I don't think it's good for him to just be out there," Walsh said. "He is our player. I think it would be good for him to get back. He wants to practice."

It was Artest who bolted into the stands after being hit in the face by a cup thrown by a Pistons fan, touching off a nasty brawl between players and fans. Artest exchanged punches with several fans, as did Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal.

Jackson was suspended for 30 games and is due to return on Wednesday at Boston. O'Neal's 25-game suspension was reduced to 15 by an arbitrator and he has been back since Dec. 25.

Walsh said the league also did not allow O'Neal or Jackson to practice initially, but relented as their return dates grew closer.

Though he still holds out hope, Walsh made it clear on Friday that Artest's return to practice should not be confused with his return to game action.

"This in no way should be taken as an indication that he will return this season," Walsh said. "It has nothing to do with him being reinstated."

Default Re: Fox Article: Artest to practice sometime next week

This is a different article

He more than likely won't be back, but it is good to see him practicing.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

ESPN.com also has a simlar article today, here are the bits I thought were new:

However, the Pacers and NBPA have made separate pleas to Stern, asking him to reduce Artest's suspension.

"I have no assurances of anything," Walsh told Ford. "I wouldn't take this as any indication that he's going to play again this season. But we did talk to Stern and made our case. We received no commitments from the league that they're going to reduce the suspension."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1971932

I'll play Devil's advocate...
    Since there seems to be these little mentions of some glimmer...sliver...piece of hope that Artest could return this year...

Could it be possible that by making the penalty as bad as it was that it actually made the event seem worse in the media and public's eye? IOW, the league made their own 'pr' hit worse by these long suspensions?

With that in mind... By dragging Artest's suspension through the season it stays an NBA topic even into next season when he returns. Bring him back for the last 10-20 games this season and you get it all out of the way this year. His 'return' and subsequent natl 'Artest watch' pretty much fades with the Pacers last game. It will stay a topic this year no matter what. And the better they do and he does (in a return) the deeper (and quicker) this episode gets buried and the NBA and media focuses on other things. Otherwise, it hangs throughout the summer and get brought up again heading into the season. It would be a natl 'Artest watch' instead of simply the local watch.

The Pacers might've even made a point of this in some off the record arguments to Stern.
    --

BTW... I don't doubt any of what I said could be true but I do have my doubts the league is worried about it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I really don't see Ron coming back this year, but ESPN seems to be taking it that its a high possibility.

PacerFanInBayAreaCali

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With that in mind... By dragging Artest's suspension through the season it stays an NBA topic even into next season when he returns. Bring him back for the last 10-20 games this season and you get it all out of the way this year.
    I think I hit on this topic in a thread a while back. What it seems the NBA really wants is for the whole Artest thing to blow up into next season so there's something to look forward to. It's a given that it'll draw ratings for Pacers' games. I'd be willing to bet we'll be on national tv more next year than we are this year as long as we keep Artest. The question is, do the PACERS want to be the team under the spotlight when Artest returns? There's going to be a lot of outside distractions over him. Do they feel it's worth it? I'm not one bit worried that Artest will do this again. I'm worried about how much having the spotlight following him is going to hurt as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInBayAreaCali
    I think I hit on this topic in a thread a while back. What it seems the NBA really wants is for the whole Artest thing to blow up into next season so there's something to look forward to. It's a given that it'll draw ratings for Pacers' games. I'd be willing to bet we'll be on national tv more next year than we are this year as long as we keep Artest. The question is, do the PACERS want to be the team under the spotlight when Artest returns? There's going to be a lot of outside distractions over him. Do they feel it's worth it? I'm not one bit worried that Artest will do this again. I'm worried about how much having the spotlight following him is going to hurt as a team.
    I have to disagree. I think the Pacers will be like the plague to natl TV next year. Things might change midseason if the Pacers are steamrolling people but otherwise I doubt the Pacers start the season as anything but redheaded step children to the league.

We'll get a lot of Inside the NBA type sports talk. Some PTI mentions. ESPN will get to make a few jokes at our expense. There will be plenty of sports radio mentions..... BUT... as for the Pacers being used by the NBA for ratings... I don't think so.

They don't want to get ratings in this way. If they wanted ratings then all players would've been back for the Christmas game.

They are not even trying to make a positive out of a negative and I'm not sure this event helps the Pacers be a ratings draw anyway. It probably hurts if anything.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

PacerFanInBayAreaCali

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    They are not even trying to make a positive out of a negative and I'm not sure this event helps the Pacers be a ratings draw anyway. It probably hurts if anything.
    -Bball
    I feel you on most of what you said. But my one question is; If they're not trying to make a positive out of a negative, then why was the Lakers/Heat Christmas game soooooo hyped? There HAD to be way more to it than just "Kobe vs. Shaq for the first time". I still think there was something fishy about JO just HAPPENING to return against the Pistons...on Christmas Day.

Interesting discussion by the ESPN talking heads tonight regarding Artest's return... they were all using words like "first step" and "hopefully the sentence will be reduced."

Mood

Yeah, all the ESPN peeps seem convinced something might very well be up.

missi

It certainly sounded encouraging. Wonder if the ESPN guys know something?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Yeah, all the ESPN peeps seem convinced something might very well be up.
    Hopefully. Yeah, I tuned into that just as they were talking about it. Hey, maybe Stern isn't the evil Nazi NBA leader that we all label him as
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the way the articles read and the way Artest returning to practice was covered on TV, quite frankly I'd be stunned if Artest ISN'T going to come back. And the media is absolutely going to destroy Stern if/when that happens.

What a great day for Pacer fans.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's all a conspiracy to drive up ratings.

Think about it.

Hehe.

NewType

No, the conspiracy is like this: the ESPN talking heads try to have Artest suspension reduced, then they can do a 180 AGAIN and slam him when he comes back. It's all part of the PLAN....

Indy Star version...

Artest to return to practice Monday

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    January 21, 2005

On Nov. 18, Ron Artest was the Indiana Pacers' leading scorer and a reigning All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year.

Monday, he returns to them just happy to do whatever he can to help in practice.

"I'm excited," Artest said today by telephone from his home in Indianapolis, where he was watching a movie with his children.

"I'm just going to do what's asked of me and try to have an impact."

Some people within the Pacers front office hold on to a slight glimmer of hope that NBA commissioner David Stern will reduce the season-long suspension he gave Artest for his role in the Nov. 19 brawl against Detroit. But Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said the franchise has received no indication that will happen. Walsh emphasized Artest's return to practice should be taken at face value.

"This is no indication of his reinstatement," Walsh said. "He's coming back to practice for his own reasons and our own reasons. We've had no suggestion his suspension is going to be changed.

"He's out for the season and I've heard nothing to change that."

The NBA granted Artest permission to return to practice earlier this month, but the Pacers' recent road schedule made it impractical. Even when Artest returns Monday, his time with the team will be limited. He will appear in court in Oakland County, Mich., on Tuesday along with Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, David Harrison and Anthony Johnson, for a pre-trial appearance. They each face at least one charge for assault and/or battery related to the brawl.

The Pacers play in Boston on Wednesday and Detroit at home Thursday, so Artest could not practice with them again before today.

Artest may not travel with the team or attend games. Both sides, however, see his limited return as mutually beneficial.

"We've got to incorporate him in a way to help our team get better," coach Rick Carlisle said. "When you've got a player of that caliber, it's a good practice situation because he can help push your first team."

For Artest it means the end of a 66-day absence from formal contact with his teammates. Although he has worked out steadily on his own and with special assistant Chuck Person and assistant coach Kevin O'Neill, he hasn't practiced with teammates since the day before the fateful game in Detroit.

He said he sees his return as an opportunity to pay back his teammates who helped him improve.

"Guys like Fred Jones and James Jones helped me out a lot (in practice) and it was greatly appreciated," he said. "I just want to do the same thing for them."

Artest also has kept busy meeting with various representatives and counselors over the past two months. He drew criticism in the wake of the brawl for appearing on television to promote a recording he produced, giving some people the appearance of being flippant about his role in the historic melee.

"He's been doing things he should be doing," Walsh said. "He's meeting with different people. Some of it has to do with P.R."

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/211284-4048-094.html

------

-John Wooden

The fact the media almost expects him back is very strange.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Strange indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    The fact the media almost expects him back is very strange.

They might just be making too much of him coming back to practice... sorta like the Artest fans are doing.

OTOH, -why- would the league allow him to practice?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Not strange at all.

But I am happy for Ron that he can practice again.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's great really that he can be part of the team again. Even if it's on a limited basis, he'll be part of the team, and that will help the team's mindset more than anything, I think. Being back together, and being at full strength, though not really, will be a mental boost. I hope he gets to come back early, that would be amazing.

More importantly though, how did the sales of that CD go? Craze or crap?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

This is a nice quote.... I expected him to say "I'm just gonna work on my game and try to be that much better next year."

Instead, it's "Guys like Fred Jones and James Jones helped me out a lot (in practice) and it was greatly appreciated," he said. "I just want to do the same thing for them."