Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: INDYSTAR: Lance Stephenson contract situation

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: INDYSTAR: Lance Stephenson contract situation

I'm almost certain that unless we get a mind blowing trade offer, both Lance and Danny will be Pacers next year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: INDYSTAR: Lance wants 5 yr Max Contract

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aren't we only allowed one 5-year max player? Isn't PG that player?
    Nope. The Pacers, and any other NBA team, are only allowed to sign one player to a 5 year extension. The extension is important, because this year George (and John Wall of Washington) are essentially operating with 6 year deals.

Once a player becomes a free agent, they are free to re-sign with their own team for 5 years. Remember, George Hill has a 5 year deal, and that didn't restrict the Pacers from extending Paul George for 5 years.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    I'm almost certain that unless we get a mind blowing trade offer, both Lance and Danny will be Pacers next year.
    That's almost impossible with the salary we have to spend. Even if Larry finds a way to move out Copeland and or Ian we can't afford both. If either player goes for more then 8 mil then we're either going over the LT or they're gone. I really just want us to stick it out until the end and let the chips fall where they may, we're all in.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    That's almost impossible with the salary we have to spend. Even if Larry finds a way to move out Copeland and or Ian we can't afford both. If either player goes for more then 8 mil then we're either going over the LT or they're gone. I really just want us to stick it out until the end and let the chips fall where they may, we're all in.
    If Granger can't stay on the court because he's fighting injuries not related to his knee, I could see us keeping him with a 1-year, 3-4 milion dollar contract if he doesn't have much FA interest.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sports Logo

Barring any trades....the Pacers 2014-2015 salary will be between $67 to ( more than likely ) 69 mil in owed guaranteed $$$ ( once PG24s extension kicks in ). That means that the Pacers will have about $6 to 8 mil to spend before going over the projected LT of $75.7 mil. Unless both take a significant pay cut....it is very unlikely that BOTH will be in a Pacer uniform next season. Lance or Granger....yes...both? unlikely.

EDIT - or what Pacerized said
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    If Granger can't stay on the court because he's fighting injuries not related to his knee, I could see us keeping him with a 1-year, 3-4 milion dollar contract if he doesn't have much FA interest.
    Even if he does.....we wont have enough to re-sign Lance before going over the LT.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

I'm super proud of Lance. It has been a pleasure to watch him grow into the young man he has become. I hope he is signed long term to a fair contract for both sides.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

I'm almost certain that you are 100% wrong.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Look at what Demar Derorzan got for his extension last year and it will make you not want to think of this until AFTER the season

I think the Pacers will start the convo with Lance right where G. Hill is paid, I think it will probably take a little more, but I think the P's will start there.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    My guess is that Lance's people are gonna use Tyreke Evan's contract as a starting point. Lance won't keeping shoot fifty percent from three but if he's shooting mid 40s with his athleticism, court vision and potential, how is he not worth 10 million-plus?
    I'm hoping we can keep Lance at a contract closer to Hill's, but if I'm his agent I'm going to bring up Tyreke's deal too.

Ugh. Could be an expensive summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sopgy View Post
    Look at what Demar Derorzan got for his extension last year and it will make you not want to think of this until AFTER the season
    Yep. Even OJ Mayo is getting around $8 million a year. Lance, if he keeps this up, is no doubt a better player than those guys.

It's actually REALLY possible we go into next year without Lance OR Danny.

Every NBA player wants a max contract.

But yeah, terrible title to the article. I'm not sure why max was even brought up in the article either.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Wing guys typically end up finding their level, I have no doubt Lance will be back and at a reasonable price.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Okay there is no way Lance is getting the max...absolutely no way. That topic should not even be discussed because it's not happening....if Lace or his agent were stern on the max, they can be shown the front door...plain and simple.

Lance isn't worth more than the MLE in my opinion. Yes he's having a great 5 games, but let's see people's opinions during Jan. Heck, if it took 5 games, I could have had a chance at the Pacers roster.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

A lot of people on this board seem to think Lance is gonna sign for around 6 or possible up to 8 million. Can anyone explain why you think that?

Lance scores in the paint and (for now at least) makes three at a high rate. He also plays nice perimeter defense, rebounds and passes. These are all skills valued by analytics. Plus he's get room to grow. Why wouldn't a team with cap space offer him a big deal that's front loaded so the Pacers can't match?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I think the Pacers will start the convo with Lance right where G. Hill is paid, I think it will probably take a little more, but I think the P's will start there.
    You think Lance will command more than 8mil? Sheesh that's a steep price to pay.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

i haven't read any of the responses. however, i think lance will be back. he knows he will get a fair deal here with a group of good players to play with. he has a great chance to win a title and have great success here.
    so i am not going to worry myself over these things. that is for bird to do.

A lot of people on this board seem to think Lance is gonna sign for around 6 or possible up to 8 million. Can anyone explain why you think that?

Lance scores in the paint and (for now at least) makes three at a high rate. He also plays nice perimeter defense, rebounds and passes. These are all skills valued by analytics. Plus he's get room to grow. Why wouldn't a team with cap space offer him a big deal that's front loaded so the Pacers can't match?
    Because as of now he's only done this for 4 games this year (didn't play relatively well or poorly in game 5)

Now if he keeps this up all year, then yeah he may command more than 6 mil...but till we see that, I think MLE- 6 mil is a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Unless they plan to ship out some major payroll or going over the LT I don't know how they can have that conversation. We may be at 70 mil next with 3 players yet to sign to hit the minimum roster of 13. That would leave us around 3 mil under the LT. Even if we ship out 2 players to free up payroll we still have to bring 2 back in to fill the roster. Freeing up 8 mil will be next to impossible unless we want to get rid of a high paid core player just to keep Lance and I don't want to do that.
    In the end I think we have a hope of keeping either Lance or Danny but if we keep one it will be the one that's more affordable. I used to think it would be Lance signing for MLE money or less, now I have no idea.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Because as of now he's only done this for 4 games this year (didn't play relatively well or poorly in game 5)

Now if he keeps this up all year, then yeah he may command more than 6 mil...but till we see that, I think MLE- 6 mil is a reasonable price.
    Between six and eight is my preferred price range also but it's not what we think is reasonable, it's what the market decides. Do you really think the market is gonna max out at six?

I agree he probably can't keep up 17 ppg and 50% from three but 15 ppg and mid forties from three is plausible. There's a lot of guys making a lot of money with way worse stats than that.

Lance is an unrestricted free agent, so there's no matching. If Lance gives us the opportunity to match based on another team's offer, we would be able to structure it so he fits under our limitations.

I've compiled a list of similar guards on non-rookie contracts making ~8MIL and down that were better than or at least comparable to Lance when they signed their contracts.

DANNY GREEN 3.7
    ALLEN 4.5
    JAMAAL CRAWFORD 5.3
    SMITH 5.6
    TERRY 5.6
    REDICK 6.3
    JACK 6.3
    LOWRY 6.2
    KEVIN MARTIN 6.5
    WILSON CHANDLER 6.3
    WESLEY MATTHEWS 6.9
    GINOBILI 7.5
    JENNINGS 7.6
    AFFLALO 7.8
    ELLIS 8
    MAYO 8
    THORNTON 8
    STUCKEY 8.5

Lance's torrid start this season actually compares very well with better rebounding versions of OJ Mayo, Rodney Stuckey(when he signed hs contract), Kevin Martin, Jarret Jack, and Jamaal Crawford. The others are a bit farther off, but basically everybody on this list produces at the same general level. Many don't have the facilitating skills ofc.

The trend seems to be that the guys on their first contract out of their rookie year tend to be getting paid more at the higher end. However, most of the guys that have important roles on contending teams tend to be making less. I would think a good middle ground would be for Lance to pick up a contract that gets him about 7.5 per year average, which would have him starting around 6.5 or 7 on normal increasing contracts. That's assuming he keeps up his production.

The other thing they could do is give him a 7.5% raise-per-year 5 year contract that would become a "more than he's worth now" cap hit in years 4 and 5 when West and Hibbert's player options are up. I don't think Hibbert will make more than he makes in that final year in his next contract (whether he stays or goes) and West will be 37 by then lol.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Yep. Even OJ Mayo is getting around $8 million a year. Lance, if he keeps this up, is no doubt a better player than those guys.

It's actually REALLY possible we go into next year without Lance OR Danny.
    If Copeland isn't traded by the deadline ( or the Pacers aren't able to figure out a way to clear an additional $2 to 3 mil in 2014-2015 Salary )....I will say that there is a very real possibility that this could happen.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-08-2013 at 02:02 AM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I'm hoping we can keep Lance at a contract closer to Hill's, but if I'm his agent I'm going to bring up Tyreke's deal too.

Ugh. Could be an expensive summer.
    Man...I did not realize...but Tyreke is overpaid IMHO.....he's owed $11+ mil a year for the next 4 seasons.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Lance is an unrestricted free agent, so there's no matching. If Lance gives us the opportunity to match based on another team's offer, we would be able to structure it so he fits under our limitations.

I've compiled a list of similar guards on non-rookie contracts making ~8MIL and down that were better than or at least comparable to Lance when they signed their contracts.

DANNY GREEN 3.7
    ALLEN 4.5
    JAMAAL CRAWFORD 5.3
    SMITH 5.6
    TERRY 5.6
    REDICK 6.3
    JACK 6.3
    LOWRY 6.2
    KEVIN MARTIN 6.5
    WILSON CHANDLER 6.3
    WESLEY MATTHEWS 6.9
    GINOBILI 7.5
    JENNINGS 7.6
    AFFLALO 7.8
    ELLIS 8
    MAYO 8
    THORNTON 8
    STUCKEY 8.5

Lance's torrid start this season actually compares very well with better rebounding versions of OJ Mayo, Rodney Stuckey(when he signed hs contract), Kevin Martin, Jarret Jack, and Jamaal Crawford. The others are a bit farther off, but basically everybody on this list produces at the same general level. Many don't have the facilitating skills ofc.

The trend seems to be that the guys on their first contract out of their rookie year tend to be getting paid more at the higher end. However, most of the guys that have important roles on contending teams tend to be making less. I would think a good middle ground would be for Lance to pick up a contract that gets him about 7.5 per year average, which would have him starting around 6.5 or 7 on normal increasing contracts. That's assuming he keeps up his production.

The other thing they could do is give him a 7.5% raise-per-year 5 year contract that would become a "more than he's worth now" cap hit in years 4 and 5 when West and Hibbert's player options are up. I don't think Hibbert will make more than he makes in that final year in his next contract (whether he stays or goes) and West will be 37 by then lol.
    I meant match in the non-CBA sense of the word. I think if we match other team's offers, Lance will decide to stay with us. But with our promise to not touch the luxury tax, matching the offers Lance gets might be tough.

The difference between Lance and everyone else on that list is that he shoots, defends, rebounds, passes, has size and can dribble. The guys on your list all have holes in their game that keeps them from getting to that next level of 10-12 million. I'm not so bullish that Lance is at that level and I think he's closer to his peak now than people on this board want to admit. But if you're a GM who sees Lance as a second tier star who can be stolen away without going through restricted free agency, why wouldn't you make a big offer?

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post: