Thread: PG vs predecessors

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default PG vs predecessors

Hey guys. Just had a quick question. How does pg's start stack up vs previous Pacer franchise players after their first pay day?

Was there this much hype within the fan base and league wide? Or has PG been our most hype/respected budding superstar ever?

Did you guys ever get the feeling with Jalen that he could be a top 3 player in the league like we do PG?

How was it with Jalen, JO, Reggie, etc. we can even throw croshere in there.. Feel free to add anyone else. I'm just curious because I wonder if I get too far ahead of myself tbh.

I saw on Espn Jalen and Reggie got off to a better start than pg did ppg wise in the first four games of a season and this thought came to mind.
    Impossible Is Nothing

Default Re: PG vs predecessors

I wasn't around for Reggie, but no one else has gotten the amount of hype that Paul has.

There were a lot of people, not just Pacer fans, who thought Granger was going to be the second best SF in the league only behind Lebron. JO was more of a slow rise.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I dunno, seemed like JO had a lot of hype and expectations following that MVP-candidate season. He was on an episode of Cribs, if I remember correctly, and his jersey was showing up in music videos. I'm not sure if that was right after his payday, or the year after, but he did get a lot of publicity as being a top player in the league, to the point where there was a discussion as to if he was on par with Duncan. As for Reggie, I think he had peaked before he received any of his big paydays, and when Jordan is in your division, you're just not going to get that kind of talk about being the best player in the league. That, and the league had a lot of great players then, as well. On top of all that, Reggie's regular season numbers were very good, but not great. And I may be misremembering this, I was very young.

I don't think anyone thought Jalen was going to be a top player when he got paid. He was an integral part of a great team, but that would be like saying people thought Rip Hamilton was going to be a top player. Just a good player on a great team.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Reggie has been my favorite Pacer for a long time. He entered the league older and didn't explode as suddenly and as brightly. Also, at no time did people around the league consider Reggie to be a top 5 type of player or quite frankly a superstar talent.

JO was one of my favorite players until I got to know his personality better. He entered the league very young and sat in Portland. Once he came here he pretty quickly became "the man". He may have also been the first NBA Pacer superstar...but-for his injuries.

Jalen was a nice player but doesn't belong in the conversation. He had a few really good years but many so-so years well after he entered the league and even after he became a Pacer.

With Paul, it's really rare air we are talking about. Paul is on the trajectory of a Kobe Bryant-ish type of player. Incredible defense, incredible athleticism and incredible talent. It's just hard to beat guys who are physically gifted, supremely talented and extremely hard workers. Reggie was a couple of those things but Paul is all three. JO probably had all three and could have been Garnett or Duncan level...but alas he went down to injury.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul definitely is on track to be the best Pacer of all time. His talent is just on another level.

Sports Logo

This thread blows my mind, No question that Paul is the best sf the Pacers have had since Roger Brown but he brought us three titles! I want to see at least one from PG before I say he is the best Pacer ever. Don't get me wrong he is awesome and we are lucky to have him on our team and to get to watch his career. But I watched much of Reggie's career and I can tell you that if the Pacers were down 10 with three minutes to go I knew we still had a shot because Reggie was AMAZING. Yes he was not as good of a defender as PG but he won games. I cant even begin to count the number of game winners Reggie has hit over the years (I am sure there is a stat somewhere but I know its wrong they leave out a lot of games I remember him hitting game winners)

I feel very lucky to have witnessed his time and even able to see some of them in person. (I live 100 miles away so not a regular game attender although I drove to every single home game in the 2000 playoffs and almost lost a wife over it) If you did not start watching Reggie until 2000 or later you really missed out, he was still great then but before that he was on another level. I need to see PG win us a heck of a lot of games before I put him ahead of Reggie or Roger Brown.

One last thing about Reggie, when the other team would hit a huge shot at the end and their fans were celebrating but then would see Reggie get the ball they would all go into panic mode and the entire place would shudder with fear. They knew it was going in, they knew they had just lost the game because Reggie was taking the shot and more often than not they were right.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread blows my mind, No question that Paul is the best sf the Pacers have had since Roger Brown but he brought us three titles! I want to see at least one from PG before I say he is the best Pacer ever. Don't get me wrong he is awesome and we are lucky to have him on our team and to get to watch his career. But I watched much of Reggie's career and I can tell you that if the Pacers were down 10 with three minutes to go I knew we still had a shot because Reggie was AMAZING. Yes he was not as good of a defender as PG but he won games. I cant even begin to count the number of game winners Reggie has hit over the years (I am sure there is a stat somewhere but I know its wrong they leave out a lot of games I remember him hitting game winners)

I feel very lucky to have witnessed his time and even able to see some of them in person. (I live 100 miles away so not a regular game attender although I drove to every single home game in the 2000 playoffs and almost lost a wife over it) If you did not start watching Reggie until 2000 or later you really missed out, he was still great then but before that he was on another level. I need to see PG win us a heck of a lot of games before I put him ahead of Reggie or Roger Brown.

One last thing about Reggie, when the other team would hit a huge shot at the end and their fans were celebrating but then would see Reggie get the ball they would all go into panic mode and the entire place would shudder with fear. They knew it was going in, they knew they had just lost the game because Reggie was taking the shot and more often than not they were right.
    I feel like you are answering a question that was not presented. The OP was talking about how much hype players got.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Reggie has been my favorite Pacer for a long time. He entered the league older and didn't explode as suddenly and as brightly. Also, at no time did people around the league consider Reggie to be a top 5 type of player or quite frankly a superstar talent.

JO was one of my favorite players until I got to know his personality better. He entered the league very young and sat in Portland. Once he came here he pretty quickly became "the man". He may have also been the first NBA Pacer superstar...but-for his injuries.

Jalen was a nice player but doesn't belong in the conversation. He had a few really good years but many so-so years well after he entered the league and even after he became a Pacer.

With Paul, it's really rare air we are talking about. Paul is on the trajectory of a Kobe Bryant-ish type of player. Incredible defense, incredible athleticism and incredible talent. It's just hard to beat guys who are physically gifted, supremely talented and extremely hard workers. Reggie was a couple of those things but Paul is all three. JO probably had all three and could have been Garnett or Duncan level...but alas he went down to injury.
    This.

JO was definitely a superstar, but ultimately wasn't tough nor mature enough to be the best player on a championship team. I always viewed Ron as a quasi-superstar (pre brawl) due to his unique ability to dominate games back then.

I don't think we've ever seen anybody have as much hype regarding their talent as Paul has...and rightfully so. NOBODY within the Pacers NBA franchise history has been as talented as Paul is....and it's not even close (when we're talking about sheer talent)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This.

JO was definitely a superstar, but ultimately wasn't tough nor mature enough to be the best player on a championship team. I always viewed Ron as a quasi-superstar (pre brawl) due to his unique ability to dominate games back then.

I don't think we've ever seen anybody have as much hype regarding their talent as Paul has...and rightfully so. NOBODY within the Pacers NBA franchise history has been as talented as Paul is....and it's not even close (when we're talking about sheer talent)
    I think Rajah was, but I never watched the guy. Other than that, definitely agree.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In terms of hype I think there is pretty much no question PG has gotten the most ever for a Pacer nationally. JO might come close but even in his MVP-contention season he was always kind of a dark horse. PG is the first beginning of season Pacer MVP contender in the eyes of the media (and therefore the world, right?).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I feel like you are answering a question that was not presented. The OP was talking about how much hype players got.
    I was more responding to some of the responses.

Jalen Rose was a franchise player?
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Jalen Rose was a franchise player?
    I would not put JO in the list for comparison. Different type of player. Otherwise Mel Daniels and big George would have to be included in this debate. Certainly barring injury Paul George has the opprotunity to be the best Pacer in the NBA era.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I would not put JO in the list for comparison. Different type of player. Otherwise Mel Daniels and big George would have to be included in this debate. Certainly barring injury Paul George has the opprotunity to be the best Pacer in the NBA era.
    But Rose was not a franchise player. Reggie was the star on the team every year Rose was in Indiana.
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

BlueAndGold nailed but I'll add my 2 cents. I don't think any Pacers player has had as much hype as Paul George going into a season or at the beginning of one.

Reggie was consistently great and really good after getting his big payday but there weren't any MVP talk about his play. JO was good as well immediately after getting his max-deal but going into that season he was talked about in the media as much as Paul George is right now. Neither Reggie or JO were in multiple national NBA commercials like PG. PG is featured in 3 different commercials right now and I can only imagine he'll be showing up in more if he continues his strong play.

It makes sense though because 3-point snipers and post players aren't as popular as a triple threat player (Scoring, Defense, High-Flying-Athleticism) like Paul George. Paul George is rapidly rising to the popularity of Dwayne Wade.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

So does everyone feel that JO was a Superstar? I don't. He was very good and a star but not a SStar.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-