Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd Thought's: Running of the Bulls

Default Odd Thought's: Running of the Bulls

So Donald Sloan nails a wide open three point shot directly in front of the Chicago Bulls bench which in and of itself is very entertaining and enjoyable if you are a Pacers fan. However it became priceless if you got to witness the titanic nuclear explosion hissy fit that Tom Thibodeau threw. He was so mad at his own team for losing Sloan on coverage that I almost expected him to unleash a giant mace and take out their bench ala Sauron vs. the humans and elves in L.O.R.

He is almost as much fun to watch as the game itself is, as the game progresses he is like a pressure cooker building up steam and at some point in time you get the feeling he is going to blow. Who wants to bet when he does blow it will either be on Dunleavy or Boozer for lack of defense?

Speaking of Boozer I am just never going to be able to look at him again for the rest of my life without seeing that time someone took a sharpie to his noggin. To say he had a rough night would be like saying Custer had a bad day at Little Big Horn. However he can revel in the fact that while his day was bad Noah’s day worse.

Sometimes in life we are granted a reprieve from the flop artist extraordinaire of this world and thankfully tonight his pulling, pushing and flailing was not rewarded with the normal swallowing of the whistle that we have become accustomed to.

That is not to say that the officiating in this game was in any way good, equitable or fair. Any time Tony Brothers officiates a game I need to just have a bottle of Pepto Bismol loaded and ready for use. That call where Deng took 23 steps to the basket without dribbling and this idiot calls Paul George for a blocking foul was actually cartoon villain worthy, well either villain or probably more likely Mr. Magoo for those of you old enough to know who I’m talking about. The only call that was worse was Derrick Rose jumping up and having Roy Hibbert cleanly block the ball and during the aftermath the referee who was on the other side of the play and had no visual at all as to what was going on makes a foul call on Roy, you guessed it the referee in question was none other than Tony Brothers. Frank got a T on that first foul and it took all he had to not get tossed on that one.

Why, man, they doth bestride the narrow world
    Like a Colossus.

Okay I changed up the Shakespeare a little bit for you but right now that is about the only saying I can think of at the moment.

Yes it’s early in the season, yes some teams aren’t really trying yet, yes there is a long way to go and many different things can happen.

We know all of that, we understand that you can’t get to high after a win or to low after a loss and 5 games into a season does not mean a single real thing in the scheme of an 82 game season but here is the other part of that truth.

We can’t be any better. Absorb that for a moment before you try and refute it. Sure we can play better, God knows at some point our offense has to actually work over an entire game right? Right?

But it doesn’t matter at this point in time. Play better defense or better offense or Roy scores 20 ppg or Paul breaks open for an 80 point game, it doesn’t matter. There is zero way to improve on our record at the moment. You can’t get better than undefeated.

Doesn’t mean we have reached the mountain top or anything, it just means through 5 games we have played well enough that playing any better would not make one bit of difference. That’s just an odd place to be in for me because it’s not something in my lifetime that we have ever done, well technically I was 4 when they did it once before but I didn’t know it.

For those of you that have been with us here during the rough times this is the reward for all of those dark and lonely nights sitting in a fieldhouse with about 5-6K of our closest friends.

This team has a little something for everybody and I have a feeling if we can keep a very high win % for all season that we will be the next OKC Thunder team for the causal fan of the NBA.

The bandwagon is big enough for everyone to jump on board and the atmosphere in the fieldhouse certainly is a lot better than it being quiet enough so that Satan actually could hear me yell at him, but I’m not going to lie either. I am a bit of a snob when I say that I appreciate you guys both here and at the fieldhouse who have been here through thick and thin, I know that when in the future (hopefully a long long time from now) when the team isn’t a title contender you guys won’t disappear with the wind.

Speaking of disappearing in the wind have you actually taken the time to watch Roy Hibbert in the paint this year on the defensive end when teams come in at him? If you haven’t you have missed some of the most incredible awe inspiring things you will ever see on the defensive end. Roy may block 5 shots a game but I’m telling you that he either alters or just shuts out at least 3 times that many every single game. If you like defense then there is just no possible way you can not enjoy watching teams alter their entire offensive set because Mt. Hibbert is in the way.

I had the pleasure of attending Saturday night’s game vs. the Cavs with Uncle Buck and while we were discussing various topics Hibbert vs. Mutombo came up and Uncle Buck said something that took me by surprise. He said he believes that Roy is a better interior defender than Mutombo. My first reaction was to be aghast and then to state that even just considering Roy in the same conversation with Dikembe was a real moral victory.

But the more and more I have thought about it the more and more I have come to the conclusion that the idea may not be as crazy as I initially thought. I still have memories of Mt. Mutombo when he was with Denver and Atlanta so he was young (ish) and very athletic at the time. But when I think how many plays Roy runs out of the paint area and that our defensive philosophy is to actually drive players to Roy I now wonder if maybe Roy isn’t at the very least approaching Mutombo’s level?

Between Roy’s interior defense and Paul George smothering the perimeter it’s no wonder people are actually forgetting that for whatever reason David West has turned into a terrific defender in his own right this season. He had 3 steals in this game alone and another couple of deflections that just took a wrong bounce back to the Bulls.

While you can make the argument that several people are responsible for the comeback win I just don’t think you can over look that it probably started in the 3rd quarter with David deciding that all defensive rebounds would be his, including running the floor to scoop back that Watson missed layup in traffic off of a terrific steal. David was no more important that anyone else but his contributions can’t be overlooked either.

Also how can you even talk about this game without talking about the 21 combined points of Sloan/Scola? That steal fast break layup from Scola who then beat feet back to the other end to grab an in traffic rebound was just huge. But hitting that face up jumper with consistency was even more important because it opened up the floor for Sloan and even George who then were able to drive to the basket and in Paul’s case draw fouls.

I don’t give a fig what Gerald Green is doing because he was worthless and I knew last season that Miles Plumlee had some ability but even knowing that if Scola can just give you what he gave you in this game, which I actually think on some nights he can give you much much more, that trade was a gem for our team.

Oh yea and C.J. Watson’s left shoe lace has more value than what D.J. Augustine did all of last regular season. Two game’s he’s started and he has more than held his own against Jennings & Rose. Solid backup point guard.

Which brings me to something we were talking about after the game out by the practice court. I asked who the player of the game was and everybody said someone different and I said that since there was no one player that you have to go with the coach.

Since then I have changed my mind. I think a win like tonight really has to go to the person who put this al together and in this case it goes to Larry Bird. Every single player that contributed tonight was either hand picked or at the very least approved by Larry Bird. From West as a free agent to drafting Roy & Paul & Lance and trading for Hill and Scola this is the engineering work of Bird. Frank may make the car run but the blue prints come from up top.

Again you don’t get a trophy for being 5-0 and I don’t want to read or hear one single Pacer being satisfied with this. But as fans, well at least in my case, I’m going to enjoy the ride and understand that this is the payoff for the years of suffering.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Re: Odd Thought's: Running of the Bulls

glad to see you back Peck!

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Peck is back
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

My favorite play of this game was late in the game when Lance finally hit the three and Chicago called the timeout. Lance just about flipped out. He had struggled and played like **** all game and that was it. That was what he needed and he knew it. I almost felt like everyone in the entire arena knew it. Sure enough a few plays later he knocks down another one.

The team had so much energy, you know it was over at that point. Such a fun game. It's crazy.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

found this gem from Steve Aschburner's twitter as if we needed any more reason to love Paul George "Steve Aschburner@AschNBA5h
    More Paul George on Bulls: "Their success is the Michael Jordan era. This is a new age, this is a new team. It's ours till they take it.

9. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh how I've missed Odd Thoughts! Welcome back Peck!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Great write up Peck and I gotta agree this one is Birds win. Just remember; "In Bird we trust"
    Oh and thanks for the Van Hagar!
    In Indiana Basketball is not just a game...it's a way of life!

Mood

Sports Logo

It looks like David West was having fun thrashing the Bulls

(pic courtesy of Indystar: http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcs...ding-milestone)

"Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

(pic courtesy of Indystar: http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcs...ding-milestone)

what an incredibly hilarious picture!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

For me when both our starting and reserve powerforwards started hitting one mid range shot after the other I knew this game would be ours.

Amazing game in which again we keep close in the first half and make the difference in the second half, particularly in the fourth quarter this time around. I missed some valuable sleep (again), but I couldn't care less after such a rollercoaster game.

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post

Boozed didn't get the memo that he was dealing with a BAAAADDDD MAN...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great recap Peck. There's nothing like reading some Odd Thoughts after a game.

You bring up a great point about sticking with it through thick and thin. This current team is most satisfying for those of us who stuck with the team during the miserable late 2000's. I remember going to games at the Fieldhouse during the JOB era and the atmosphere was as boring as could be. There was just no enthusiasm, which wasn't surprising when you saw that team play. But those of us who stuck with it are the ones getting the most satisfaction from this. This is special and we can't take it for granted. It's just absolutely phenomenal how far this franchise has come in just a few seasons, and the Legend certainly deserves most of the credit.

Those of us who watched Hibbert during his rookie season can get the most satisfaction from awesome he is right now. Remember when Hibbert used to come in and pickup two fouls within about 30 seconds?

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    found this gem from Steve Aschburner's twitter as if we needed any more reason to love Paul George "Steve Aschburner@AschNBA5h
    More Paul George on Bulls: "Their success is the Michael Jordan era. This is a new age, this is a new team. It's ours till they take it.
    I went to see the comments on that tweet and one was mentioning the game we won at United center and how we celebrated. My oh my, they still talk about it. What an obnoxious fanbase they have.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Man our bigs just obliterated theirs. Only Taj Gibson was active enough to bother us. I really like that this team is balanced. I'll take PG taking over a game when he has to. But I prefer the balance scoring.

Sloan is better than DJ. By far. And its on defense that he is better. I could care less if Scola isn't the best defender. With OJ, CJ, Sloan, and Ian, they have his back.

That 2nd quarter is our achilles. I hope Vogel changes up the rotations to find some scoring there.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    My favorite play of this game was late in the game when Lance finally hit the three and Chicago called the timeout. Lance just about flipped out. He had struggled and played like **** all game and that was it. That was what he needed and he knew it. I almost felt like everyone in the entire arena knew it. Sure enough a few plays later he knocks down another one.

The team had so much energy, you know it was over at that point. Such a fun game. It's crazy.
    When Lance hit that three and punched the air, I knew we were going to win the game. The momentum was too good.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post

That was a great moment.

Lance's fire just seems to rub off on everyone else. I love watching the other guys get fired up with him.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    That 2nd quarter is our achilles. I hope Vogel changes up the rotations to find some scoring there.
    I think that the reason that the 2nd quarter has been bad in those last two games is that Lance has played poorly in the first halves of those games. When he is playing well in the 4th that same line-up looks so much better. It really relies on Lance to open up the court.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Yeah ..... it's best to bring Lance off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I think that the reason that the 2nd quarter has been bad in those last two games is that Lance has played poorly in the first halves of those games. When he is playing well in the 4th that same line-up looks so much better. It really relies on Lance to open up the court.
    I believe he started the past two contests 0-7 from the field. He was a bit out of control on offense last night, and you could see the frustration in the way he was defending during the second quarter. Vogel let him or made him play through it, though, and by the second half he was the Born Ready we all know and love. His finishes have been much better than his starts.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I believe he started the past two contests 0-7 from the field.
    Close enough. He was 2/8 in the first half at Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    He was a bit out of control on offense last night, and you could see the frustration in the way he was defending during the second quarter. Vogel let him or made him play through it, though, and by the second half he was the Born Ready we all know and love. His finishes have been much better than his starts.
    Yes. Lance has a much bigger leash now but he also has the responsibility to lead the bench. He is trying to do too much at times and gets frustrated. But he has that "irrational confidence" in him and he has the balls to come through when we need him the most. Vogel is letting him play through his mistakes and it will help in his development. Sure, he will end up having bad games at times but he will emerge as a better player.

I just love the way that Vogel uses Lance at the moment.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pardon me if you guys think I am wrong, but Scola was the game-changer. He gets a game ball if you ask me. He was just on it late. It was just him vs. the Bulls for that short period of time. We would never, ever get that out of Tyler in a million years.

I love you, Larry.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Awesome!!! I've been waiting and waiting for Odd Thoughts to be back! Thank you Peck!

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Pardon me if you guys think I am wrong, but Scola was the game-changer. He gets a game ball if you ask me. He was just on it late. It was just him vs. the Bulls for that short period of time. We would never, ever get that out of Tyler in a million years.

I love you, Larry.
    I voted for Scola as well in the post game thread but really you couldn't go wrong with anyone. Scola and Lance were big down the stretch, West had a monster 3rd guard and dominated the boards, Paul was all-around awesome, Roy was a beast defensively and CJ was solid throughout the game. Heck, even Donald Sloan hit some big shots.

The coach and Larry should be praised for that as well. It was just such a team win that you will be right no matter who you choose.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I wish there was a way to go back in a time machine so we could play a healthy vice Carter again. I look back at those games in the playoffs when he just torched us and think. If we only had pg24 then.

So here is the question. Is pg. A better defender now than what Ron was when he played with us? I still see him getting torched in the post by bigger players.

I know it's a pg love fest and I love him just as mu cj as anyone but Ron beat out the big dog Ben Wallace for the dpoy.

How does Roy compare to Wallace on D? He was the staple of that pistons team and was a bad dude for a long time.

It's nice being good again, especially when it's beating dun to go 5-0

Our starters +/- :
    +20
    +28
    +31
    +22
    +20

That will definitely help with getting wins
    "We want Miami"

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post: