View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

107 97.27%
  • Roy Hibbert

2 1.82%
  • Lance Stephenson

0 0%
  • Someone else

1 0.91%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Pacers/Pistons Postgame Thread 11/5/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Pistons Postgame Thread 11/5/13

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd counter that without Smith's defense in that game we lose by 15 points. Anyone that watched that game would agree.

It's easy to point out his bad threes as what's killing his team, when there is no substitute for what he brings to the table defensively, and if you want to take him out of the game, you're also taking out one of the few forwards in the entire league that can both guard the perimeter and protect the rim.

I value his defense and rebounding. The offense will take care of itself 9 times out of 10, and when it comes to the point where that 10% is a major problem, it'll be addressed.

He takes away a lot more than that from the other team on average, via blocked/altered shots and deflections in the passing lanes.

Again, he shot 7/23 in Memphis and he was the best player on either team in that game. His defense was that good.

I'd rather have Smith shooting poorly from the floor and playing fantastic, energetic defense than a mediocre player that shoots well from the perimeter and gives you nothing defensively. There's more to the game than shooting percentage.

I'm not at all saying he should be taken out the entire game or something like that.. But a guy that averages less than 2 3pters per game for his career and shoots 28% from there shouldn't be taking 11 in a game unless he has yet to miss one lol. I feel you can speculate he may have lost that game, even if his D kept them close. I'm just saying he should not be allowed to toss up 11. But I totally agree with you on him being a premiere defender.. I just think he's one of the worst decision makers in the league considering all of his ability.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I won't argue with that. But I don't doubt that he wants to find a better balance than what he's shown thusfar. I don't think you can coach it out of him, either. He's got to find it himself.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'm saying there are only two other forwards that can come close to what smith brings to the table defensively: lebron and Paul George. Let me know when either guy is available for trade and I'll agree we can do better than josh smith.

Until then, I'm going to live with his poor shot selection and trust that he will figure out a way to be more efficient on offense. In the meantime, his defense will win us more games than his offense loses.
    And btw, I am one of the people that really likes the majority of what Detroit is doing right now.. That team has ridiculous upside, although it certainly needs some pieces and time to grow. I just can't believe Smith has been allowed to take more than 4 3s in even 2 of the 4 games thus far

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    And btw, I am one of the people that really likes the majority of what Detroit is doing right now.. That team has ridiculous upside, although it certainly needs some pieces and time to grow. I just can't believe Smith has been allowed to take more than 4 3s in even 2 of the 4 games thus far

It's the tactic cheeks took with Westbrook in OKC when everyone was screaming at their coaching staff to reel him in.

I think smith has been over-coached, if anything. If you believe he wants to win games and wants to be more efficient, you have to let him find his own balance. I don't think he needs another coach screaming in his ear about bad shots. Clearly, that hasn't worked.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

Hey Kstats if you want a great shooter we have one at the end of the bench he even has a ESPN cover made up for him, what you got that we can trade you for?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Hey Kstats if you want a great shooter we have one at the end of the bench he even has a ESPN cover made up for him, what you got that we can trade you for?
    They need a SG that can shoot.....isn't the Player you referring to a SF?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

We have shooters. They haven't been worked into the rotation, aside from singler, and Billups hasn't found his shot yet.

I think we need one more, but it's hard to properly assess our shooting woes when our best shooter is just now coming back off of an injury, and the other is banished to the bench on rookie detail.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-06-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Sports Logo

love these

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    love these

Just look at Sloan's drive in 6:48. Look at the way he manages to keep his handle alive under pressure and then drives to the rim. And this guy is our 3rd string. Last year's 2nd string wouldn't be able to do that.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014