View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

107 97.27%
  • Roy Hibbert

2 1.82%
  • Lance Stephenson

0 0%
  • Someone else

1 0.91%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Pistons Postgame Thread 11/5/13

Default Re: Pacers/Pistons Postgame Thread 11/5/13

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 games in....blow it up!

Sheesh.

I do not want Josh Smith starting at the 4. Offensively he's better there, but not defensively.

And Gordon Hayward is not the answer to anybody's problems.

If the other shooters make shots, it doesn't matter what Josh Smith shoots from the field. Everyone focuses on the negative with him. It's ridiculous.

Of course Josh needs to reel himself in a bit, but he's a hell of an asset in every other area of the game.

Once this team starts getting better chemistry (it's going to take a long time given the lack of shooting), the ceiling is extremely high because of the size and athleticism of the frontline.

I'll re-evaluate the Smith/Monroe/Drummond trio in a few months, and again after 82 games. To judge it this early in the season is just stupid.
    I'm actually really impressed with the Pistons front court. That's going to be a monster rotate for the next few years defensively. And what is even more intriguing to me is their passing ability. Both Smith and Monroe are great passers at their positions. I think what they really need is for Jennings to develop into a little more of what I thought he'd be coming into the league, a pass first guard, and they will be pretty good in a year or two.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The ability to lock down defensively is special and Paul George is a special player that in my lifetime I have not seen in a Pacers uniform
    *weeps openly while singing "Hallelujah"*

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Paul George is awesome. There's your game analysis.
    This thread should have been locked after this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm still somewhat in disbelief that Paul George is becoming a superstar. I'm trying to tell myself to give it more time before I'm convinced, but right now it's looking VERY good.
    After the first game I posted on another forum how I think PG is really starting to break into the elite echelon of players and other guys were saying "He's already there" Kinda funny how its the fans of other teams hyping him more than myself. But with each game this season, PG has been so unbelievably good its pretty much impossible for me to say he isn't there. Like holy **** this man is amazing. No more will I refer to him as a kid like I do with the younger guys, PG is a man dominating the best basketball league in the world.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

4 games in....blow it up!

Sheesh.

I do not want Josh Smith starting at the 4. Offensively he's better there, but not defensively.

And Gordon Hayward is not the answer to anybody's problems.

If the other shooters make shots, it doesn't matter what Josh Smith shoots from the field. Everyone focuses on the negative with him. It's ridiculous.

Of course Josh needs to reel himself in a bit, but he's a hell of an asset in every other area of the game.

Once this team starts getting better chemistry (it's going to take a long time given the lack of shooting), the ceiling is extremely high because of the size and athleticism of the frontline.

I'll re-evaluate the Smith/Monroe/Drummond trio in a few months, and again after 82 games. To judge it this early in the season is just stupid.
    The coaches need to reel Josh Smith in. He's not gonna do it himself. And the longer the coaches let him play with this green light, the harder it will be to change. Smith is a great asset. But they need to get a hold of this quick. He's not playing winning basketball right now. He's not playing the way that makes him so good. Detroit can be good, but honestly there is no excuse for letting Smith take 7 threes a game.

There is a reason Josh Smith is constantly left out of the all star discussion even though he produces all star stats, you can keep waiting for him to change if you're a Pistons fans, but I'm sure the 8.5 Hawks fans left will tell you that you shouldn't hold your breath.

And he's gotten WORSE since getting to Detrot on that nice fat contract, the lowest amount of 3PA so far for him? 4. He is shooting 7 3s a game at at a 25% clip. Gross.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Or Tayshaun Prince 2.0

I had my worries back in the day.

He11, you didn't even want to draft PG! You and I had some hellacious arguments about my wanting the Pacers to draft PG over Gordon Hayward.

Gordon has turned out to be a nice player, but he's sure no Paul George. I'm so glad Bird drafted a player I wanted named Paul George!!!!!!!!! Thank you Mr. Bird.

I'm also glad Bird drafted a player that year that I felt would be a future Pacers PR nightmare named Lance Stephenson. I really like watching Lance play, and I can truthfully say I prefer him over Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    There is a reason Josh Smith is constantly left out of the all star discussion even though he produces all star stats
    What's his TS% ?? That'll tell you everything you need to know.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was annoyed at the Paul George pick at first (though I certainly didn't want Heyward there)...boy howdy, was I ever wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I've never been so happy to be wrong.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

On the list of things that needs to be fixed from last night, Smith's threes are 4th or 5th. I agree it needs to be sorted out, but it's also not the reason we lost last night.

When we start losing games because of it, I'll get annoyed.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-06-2013 at 03:35 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

On the list of things that needs to be fixed from last night, Smith's threes are 4th or 5th. I agree it needs to be sorted out, but it's also not the reason we lost last night.

Just a question, but what about the Grizzlies game? He attempted 11 3s and you guys lost by 3 points. He hit 3 of them lol
    I did not watch the game, although I was very intrigued by the matchup.. So I cannot say that's what lost the game... But that seems (to someone just looking at the box score) like it would have to be a major part.

But it is why you are losing. You are throwing away around 4 possessions a game to a bad 3 from Smith. Obviously its not the only reason you are losing, but it is hurting the Pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    Just a question, but what about the Grizzlies game? He attempted 11 3s and you guys lost by 3 points. He hit 3 of them lol
    I did not watch the game, although I was very intrigued by the matchup.. So I cannot say that's what lost the game... But that seems (to someone just looking at the box score) like it would have to be a major part.
    I'd counter that without Smith's defense in that game we lose by 15 points. Anyone that watched that game would agree.

It's easy to point out his bad threes as what's killing his team, when there is no substitute for what he brings to the table defensively, and if you want to take him out of the game, you're also taking out one of the few forwards in the entire league that can both guard the perimeter and protect the rim.

I value his defense and rebounding. The offense will take care of itself 9 times out of 10, and when it comes to the point where that 10% is a major problem, it'll be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    But it is why you are losing. You are throwing away around 4 possessions a game to a bad 3 from Smith. Obviously its not the only reason you are losing, but it is hurting the Pistons.
    He takes away a lot more than that from the other team on average, via blocked/altered shots and deflections in the passing lanes.

Again, he shot 7/23 in Memphis and he was the best player on either team in that game. His defense was that good.

I'd rather have Smith shooting poorly from the floor and playing fantastic, energetic defense than a mediocre player that shoots well from the perimeter and gives you nothing defensively. There's more to the game than shooting percentage.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-06-2013 at 04:45 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

So because he plays good defense, he is allowed to take terrible 3's? I'm sorry, but thats just dumb. If PG was as bad from behind the arc as Smith, and was taking 3's like he is this season I would be pissed.

There is no reason Smith can't keep up that good defense and not take those threes. You can't just learn to live with it because it will get worse. Ask Atlanta.

Like I said, it isn't the only reason or the biggest reason why the Pistons are losing, but it is a reason. Living with it because he does other stuff is dumb. And honestly its an easy fix. Coaches just need to get on him and get him to be aggressive on the offensive end.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Always love postgame threads for the Pacers/Pistons games because we have respected posters who can really give us the view from the other side.

Not that it has never gotten heated, but still...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Banned

So because he plays good defense, he is allowed to take terrible 3's? I'm sorry, but thats just dumb. If PG was as bad from behind the arc as Smith, and was taking 3's like he is this season I would be pissed.

There is no reason Smith can't keep up that good defense and not take those threes. You can't just learn to live with it because it will get worse. Ask Atlanta.

Like I said, it isn't the only reason or the biggest reason why the Pistons are losing, but it is a reason. Living with it because he does other stuff is dumb.
    Interesting ....

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Interesting ....
    who am i giving a pass?

So because he plays good defense, he is allowed to take terrible 3's? I'm sorry, but thats just dumb.
    Find me the player to replace him with that plays the same caliber of defense and takes great shots, and I'll cast my vote for him instead.

Smith isn't a me first player. He takes some awful shots, but me first players don't bust their *** making as many hustle plays as he does on a in nightly basis. He's got a shot selection issue, and a lot of it has been the lack of structure and chemistry determining what shots he takes.

He's a good player. He's surrounded by other good players. They'll figure it out.

In the meantime, they are a lot better with his defense and poor shooting than they are without him.

Sports Logo

So obviously they've got Smith long term, I assume they'll lock up Moose this summer, those two pretty much are what they are. Monroe can grow a little but he's probably pretty close to his top end I think. So's the idea Drummond harnesses that Superman physical profile and becomes the man at some point? It's just sort of peculiar what Dumars is going for long term to me, unless it's turn Drummond into the Hulk. which is definitely the way I'd go.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So obviously they've got Smith long term, I assume they'll lock up Moose this summer, those two pretty much are what they are. Monroe can grow a little but he's probably pretty close to his top end I think. So's the idea Drummond harnesses that Superman physical profile and becomes the man at some point? It's just sort of peculiar what Dumars is going for long term to me, unless it's turn Drummond into the Hulk. which is definitely the way I'd go.
    Bigger, stronger faster seems to be the theme. Build an 80's style team around an imposing frontline.

It should be noted that smith's contract runs out when it's time to pay drummond, so the flexibility is still there even if we give Monroe a hibbert type contract.

Find me the player to replace him with that plays the same caliber of defense and takes great shots, and I'll cast my vote for him instead.

Smith isn't a me first player. He takes some awful shots, but me first players don't bust their *** making as many hustle plays as he does on a in nightly basis. He's got a shot selection issue, and a lot of it has been the lack of structure and chemistry determining what shots he takes.

He's a good player. He's surrounded by other good players. They'll figure it out.

In the meantime, they are a lot better with his defense and poor shooting than they are without him.
    Where did I ever say replace him? No where. All I said is they need to get him to stop taking that many three's. They will be better because of it.

Kstat, I'm legitimately not sure I'm following you here, are you saying there is no one in the NBA that is a better option than Smith when it comes to a defensive stopper, but capable on offense trade off? Or are you saying that no one existed on the Pistons? Or that Smith was the best option available for what was needed at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Kstat, I'm legitimately not sure I'm following you here, are you saying there is no one in the NBA that is a better option than Smith when it comes to a defensive stopper, but capable on offense trade off? Or are you saying that no one existed on the Pistons? Or that Smith was the best option available for what was needed at the time?
    I'm saying there are only two other forwards that can come close to what smith brings to the table defensively: lebron and Paul George. Let me know when either guy is available for trade and I'll agree we can do better than josh smith.

Until then, I'm going to live with his poor shot selection and trust that he will figure out a way to be more efficient on offense. In the meantime, his defense will win us more games than his offense loses.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-06-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Banned

who am i giving a pass?
    Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Nobody
    why not just come out and say it? Let's see how many threads we can debate in. I got the day off.