Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should be the plan for the next two games?

Default What should be the plan for the next two games?

Should we go light on Detroit to go hard on the Bulls tomorrow?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What should be the plan for the next two games?

Win.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

In all seriousness, though, I am not as concerned about the Bulls on Wednesday following the Pistons. If it were the other way around I would be very concerned about a letdown - and I am concerned about one for Friday against Toronto - but, assuming we have at least an audible proportion of Pacer fans in the house on Wednesday night, I think the energy of playing a team we have something to prove against after the pre-season will trump any tiredness.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we need to go "light" in Game 4 of the season against a feisty Pistons team after having two full days off, then we're in trouble.

It's petal to metal all season.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's petal to metal all season.
    Pansy.

BillS

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Yes, you play every game to win. After you have wrapped up home court throughout the playoffs, then you can think about changing your plan.

But let me also say though that you do not and really cannot play these games like playoff games. You simply cannot prepare for regular season games like you can for playoff games - no time. Plus I don't want West, Hibbert and George Hill playing 40 minutes like they would in the playoffs.

Also the regular season should be used to prepare for the playoffs, that means developing your bench, developing player roles, allowing the team to sometimes figure things out on their own. So in the regular season you are trying to win every game, but also trying to build your team to be ready for the playoffs. In the playoffs you only care about winning. There is a difference

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't ever want the Pacers to "go light" on anyone this entire season. They've already stated (I think it was Lance) that their goal is to the start the season 10-0. They really want to be the top team in the east so that they can have HCA throughout the East playoffs. The Pacers are a better team than Detroit and Chicago so they should beat the both of them.

The back-to-back is no big deal because Detroit is a very short flight from Indy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Step 1, cut a hole that box
    2, put your junk in the box
    3, make D-Rose open that box

and that's the way you do it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

For a serious answer, I think Detroit is going to want to get us bad, and obviously Chicago will want to as well. I think tonight's game really comes down to Paul, he's got to control Josh Smith on the post. Lance should have an advantage so he needs to continue his strong play and I think G. Hill should as well so he needs to be aggressive.

Tomorrow, I think it's all about trying to step on Chicago early. Don't let them get any confidence. Drop the hammer in the first quarter and remind them that the two games in October were simply tune ups for us.

I think this is one of the toughest weeks of the season for the team though. 4 games in 5 nights is always tough. Even the worst team of the week, the Raptors have looked pretty good so far this season. A 3-1 record would be great. 2-2 wouldn't be horrible

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I'd say pour it on for both of these games and don't worry about the minutes. I want to see Roy playing close to 40 minutes against the Bulls. I don't think our first back to back should be that big of a deal this early in the season. If the team is going to wear down later in the week I'd still rather put our best effort against the central division teams.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think this is one of the toughest weeks of the season for the team though. 4 games in 5 nights is always tough. Even the worst team of the week, the Raptors have looked pretty good so far this season. A 3-1 record would be great. 2-2 wouldn't be horrible
    4-0 is what I'm looking for though. :P
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

23. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Never would I ever think about taking it light for a game for anyone, let alone a division opponent.
    If we light them up and are up by 20 with 6 or so minutes then of course it's a good decision to pull the starters, but otherwise I go balls to the wall for both games.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

If we're 7-0 come roughly 10PM Saturday I am going to have a hard time resisting the urge to start sewing banners.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If we're 7-0 come roughly 10PM Saturday I am going to have a hard time resisting the urge to start sewing banners.
    but we play the Grizzlies Monday night. Maybe you should wait until 8-0

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    but we play the Grizzlies Monday night. Maybe you should wait until 8-0
    I'm thinking we get these next 3, but Brooklyn might take it from us. Their vets will be up for that game. They wanna make a statement.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm reminded of something David West said last season (and I think Vogel has said something similar). Paraphrasing here, but it's something like "As long as we go out and do the things we do, we'll be ok".

And what are the things that the Pacers do? Defend, rebound, get to the line. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes it doesn't get more complicated than that.

The regular season is a marathon, and I think a workman-like attitude like what West expressed is what the Pacers need to get through it successfully. We as fans tend to get up more for certain games, but for the players it's really about refining and perfecting the system they play. They can worry about specific matchups when the playoffs come around.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

This answer comes courtesy of Carlos during the saga that was his epic careericide.

We aren't the Spurs, we don't just take a night off and leave our stars at home. I think we already kind of took it easy Saturday with Hill sitting out. If that would have been the playoffs Hill would have played.
    We should be able to play all out 2 days in a row. If not we can kiss our championship hopes goodbye.

I think we need to make a big statement and definitively WIN against Detroit and Chicago. Back to back, schmack to schmack, it's the second week of the season! Going undefeated long into week 2 and potentially beyond will really show everyone we're not screwing around, even missing multiple starters.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Both games count as potential wins, no days off.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Should we go light on Detroit to go hard on the Bulls tomorrow?
    Are you kidding me? As far as team strategy goes, this early in the season you worry about only one thing. The next game and winning it.

Now, if we were talking about the strategies of returning a player from injury and how and when to get the most from them in a 4-games-in-5-nights stretch, that's a different story. But as far as teams go, you are always doing what is necessary to win the NEXT game, especially this early in the season.

One gear: go.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

My two cents:

That Detroit team SHOULLD have beaten Memphis at Memphis. The Pistons gave that game away by choking down the stretch which led to the Grizz taking it to overtime. And the Pistons almost took out the Grizzlies while relying on a 37 year old man to start at point guard (their starting pg hadn't yet laced up his shoes at that point). Detroit could easily be undefeated going into its matchup with Indiana. And it can be argued that Detroit's frontcourt outplayed Memphis' highly valued frontcourt players for most of that game. What does this mean? Indiana better get its interior guys going in that contest. The Pacers don't want guys lke Hibbert, West and Co. providing only defense because they need to force the Detroit bigs to actually play some defense in order to take away some of the Pistons' legs/energy on offense. And if by looking to score the Pacers get at least one of those Detroit guys in foul trouble that will be one less weapon for the Pacers to worry about.

However if the Pacers' perimeter players end up taking lots of early jumpshots, shots they can get off at any time, instead of trying to help get their interior game going by feeding the bigs then this could be a L for Indiana. Do not sleep on Detroit. The Pistons' rebounding is exceptional, their scoring in the paint is around the top of the league, and their interior passing is tremendous. This Detroit team is dangerous and should only get better.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KennerLeaguer For This Useful Post: