Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Candace Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

  1. #1
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,421

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Candace Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...m-in-rotation/

    Social psychologist Robert Cialdini wrote the very insightful book ”The Psychology of Persuasion,” and in it he explains the why behind the decisions we make.

    Cialdini examines our daily automatic responses to certain stimuli – you know, the actions we do that necessitate no thought whatsoever, like saying ‘yes’ to a small, cute kid panhandling for our loose change so that she can go on a school trip to Florida or something. He calls it the “click-whirr” syndrome.

    “Click and the appropriate tape is activated; whirr and out rolls the standard sequence of behaviors…”

    It’s not giving in to the small, cute child that’s perplexing some Pacers fans this year. But it’s the knee-jerk “Oh, no! Where’s Copeland!?” reaction when Indiana plays and the curious exclusion of forward Chris Copeland from the rotation becomes clear.

    Every game, every time coach Frank Vogel looks down his bench to send in a sub, the Copeland worries fill my Twitter feed. Like a prerecorded track, several fans continue to voice concerns that something must be wrong if Copeland continues to sit on the bench.

    Click. Whirr.

    In a sense, this is understandable – after all, the Pacers quickly scooped up Copeland in the free-agent signing period and Vogel has effusively praised Copeland’s skill set. So why, after spending the money and lauding the man, is he not playing? After the Pacers’ Saturday night win over the Cleveland Cavaliers, Copeland addressed his current position while keeping a team-first attitude.

    “I’m just a small piece,” Copeland said. “We have great team, so it’s just one of those things.”


    On Saturday night, Copeland played his first minutes of the regular season with the Pacers comfortably ahead late in the fourth quarter. Usually the “We Want (Insert Player’s Name Here)!” chants are reserved for the fan favorite reserve who’s handcuffed to the bench but has very little skill. But on Saturday night, the G2 Zone started the “We Want Copeland!” chants around the final three minutes of the game for a guy the Pacers majorly coveted in the offseason.

    Though Vogel believes that Copeland is a threat to stretch the defense and shoot the three every time he’s on the floor, he has also consistently grouped Copeland in with the frontline. Copeland experimented at the small forward position during the final preseason game in Dallas. However right now, Copeland – a “spread four” or power forward – is the fifth big on the team behind Roy Hibbert, David West, Luis Scola and Ian Mahinmi. There simply are not minutes a’plenty for “the fifth big.”

    So, on Saturday night, I asked Copeland if he has talked to Vogel about his playing situation…

    “Yeah, we spoke but that’s for us,” Copeland said. “That’s between me and him but I would say we just got a great team. At the end of the day, it’s just deep. On such a deep team, it’s hard.”

    Then, I posed the question on such a deep team, what can Copeland do to crack the rotation?

    “No idea. No idea, honestly,” he responded. “But we’re winning so it ain’t really about me. I just got to work hard and - just work hard.”


    Copeland’s responses on Saturday align with his earlier statements at the start of the preseason. On Oct. 2, Copeland talked about the allure in playing with the Pacers.

    “I’m a competitor. I want to play. If I can play 48 minutes, I’d love to. That’s just who I am. But I’m also grateful for the opportunity and grateful to be a part of a team that I think is going to win the championship this year. Straight up. Flat out. With me playing or not playing. I’m just glad to be here. It doesn’t mean I’m demanding minutes. I’m not that type of guy, I’m just here for whatever you ask me to do.”

    Also, Copeland said this in regards to what he felt his role would be:

    “My role was a big factor in my decision, my role on this team. I don’t really know how the season is going to go as far as minutes and what they really ask me to do. But from what I was told in the recruitment process, I would be used for what I do here. I think having a bigger role was something that was very attractive to me.”

    And…

    “(Management) made it clear that this would be a great opportunity for me. I haven’t regretted it. I’m very happy. No matter what happens. We have a deep team, if I don’t play as much as I might have hoped, I’m still happy to be here. Just to be a part of this. This is going to be a special year for us.”

    Back to Saturday night, Copeland wanted to make a point: the team is winning, so his playing time is an insignificant footnote. Copeland even did not want to use the early part of the season as an excuse why he hasn’t cracked the rotation.

    “I don’t want to say it’s early like maybe things will change, we’re winning,” Copeland said. “I hope things keep rolling because it’s a great group of guys. I hope - i just wish … the best for everybody in the locker room. We’re rolling and let’s keep it that way.”

    He’s not injured. He’s not complaining. He’s just not playing. So… no click, whirr.
    Number One: Candace is killing it with her writing.

    Number Two: I'm really starting to like Copeland for his attitude. Hopefully his shot will return sooner than later and he can start to get some minutes.

    Number Three: I just noticed I misspelled Candace in the thread title. Could I get an edit please?
    Last edited by Sandman21; 11-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    has he done anything besides hit some wide open 3s for the Knicks?


    he just isn't very good.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,386

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    has he done anything besides hit some wide open 3s for the Knicks?


    he just isn't very good.
    I saw him drain threes like he was Larry Bird. Net didn't even move. It was quite impressive.

    Perhaps we actually acquired his brother, Kris Copeland?

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw him drain threes like he was Larry Bird. Net didn't even move. It was quite impressive.

    Perhaps we actually acquired his brother, Kris Copeland?

    I thought his brother was Brittney Griner

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    also this guy is pretty good at open 3s... sign him up?



  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,133

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    I am too agitated at the moment to understand if crunk-juice is joking or not.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am too agitated at the moment to understand if crunk-juice is joking or not.
    obviously I'm being facetious. thin skin?


    get as agitated as you want. Copeland will still be an underwhelming basketball player.

  14. #8
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,133

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    obviously I'm being facetious. thin skin?

    get as agitated as you want. Copeland will still be an underwhelming basketball player.
    Your posts are not the reason that I'm agitated, crunk.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  15. #9
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your posts are not the reason that I'm agitated, crunk.

    ah, I see the source now.

    you see something I have learned in my long tenure on PD is to stay far, far away from 20+ page threads containing the words Lance Stephenson.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:


  17. #10

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ah, I see the source now.

    you see something I have learned in my long tenure on PD is to stay far, far away from 20+ page threads containing the words Lance Stephenson.
    I believe you mean any 20+ page thread involving any Pacer Player.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    I am incredibly shocked by his attitude. His attitude in this situation is near perfect, I can't even think of anyone answering those questions better. I love having him on this team because of that attitude right there. He wants the best for the team, even if it means him not playing at all - thats a great guy right there.

  20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am incredibly shocked by his attitude. His attitude in this situation is near perfect, I can't even think of anyone answering those questions better. I love having him on this team because of that attitude right there. He wants the best for the team, even if it means him not playing at all - thats a great guy right there.
    definitely agree with this.

    he has rare perspective.

  22. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am incredibly shocked by his attitude. His attitude in this situation is near perfect, I can't even think of anyone answering those questions better. I love having him on this team because of that attitude right there. He wants the best for the team, even if it means him not playing at all - thats a great guy right there.
    Well he is making 3mil for the next two years for sitting on the bench no reason to be mad, hell I wish I was him

  23. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    I admire his attitude. I kind of feel bad for him to tell you the truth because I don't think he would have even considered coming here if Scola had already been acquired. Just is what it is. He's insurance of a sort at this point. Would not shock me if we trade him by draft night to save cash and so he can play.

  24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  25. #15

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am incredibly shocked by his attitude. His attitude in this situation is near perfect, I can't even think of anyone answering those questions better. I love having him on this team because of that attitude right there. He wants the best for the team, even if it means him not playing at all - thats a great guy right there.
    Bouncing around Europe for 5 years probably helped his perspective.

  26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  27. #16

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Also gotta remember that our first and second string power forwards are each 33 years old and not the most athletic guys in the league. There will be minutes this season for Copeland when we get into the grind.

  28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,275

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe you mean any 20+ page thread involving any Pacer Player.
    QFT.

    Anyway, KTT is right. It's a long season, Copeland will get his chances. Still not a big fan of him (in general I don't like players who only do one thing), but love the attitude.

  30. #18
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,133

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    QFT.

    Anyway, KTT is right. It's a long season, Copeland will get his chances. Still not a big fan of him (in general I don't like players who only do one thing), but love the attitude.
    It's not that he only does one thing. I mean, he can do more things than shoot the 3. The issue is that he is a one-way player. That's bad for a starter but that's also exactly why he doesn't start.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  31. #19
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,779

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I admire his attitude. I kind of feel bad for him to tell you the truth because I don't think he would have even considered coming here if Scola had already been acquired. Just is what it is. He's insurance of a sort at this point. Would not shock me if we trade him by draft night to save cash and so he can play.
    I don't want him traded because I think that he's a good role player and ( obviously ) a good soldier; but he, OJ and Solo all play the only postion that we can afford to lose some depth at ( despite Vogel/Bird thinking that he's a Backup PF ). Given that I don't want to see OJ and Solo go ( cuz we drafted them and are on a cheaper contract ), Copeland is the only Player that can be traded that could shave off enough 2014-2015 Salary that would make a difference to re-sign Lance. Before Plumlee was traded...I thought that Mahinmi was that guy....but now that we have limited depth at the Center spot....Copeland ( unfortunately ) is the odd man out.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  33. #20
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,275

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Copeland is the only Player that can be traded that could shave off enough 2014-2015 Salary that would make a difference to re-sign Lance.
    Too early to tell yet at this point. It's also possible, for example, that we waive Scola's contract (less than $1m guaranteed next year) and give his role to Copeland, which would save more $. But that would depend on how comfortable we are with Copeland replacing Scola. Also possible that we try to move Mahinmi instead (or in addition), so again we'll see. None of the other guys (Solo, Juice, even CJ) make enough to matter; even if the Pacers get rid of them they'll still need to find a min salary replacement, so there's not a lot of savings there.

    Btw, the early projection from count55 is that lux tax next year could get up to the $75m level, which means we may have more buffer to keep Lance before we hit the tax than previously thought. So again... wait and see.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  35. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    has he done anything besides hit some wide open 3s for the Knicks?


    he just isn't very good.

    While I understand your point and can agree to an extent, I think you are being a bit unfair.

    A couple of things set him apart from just being an excellent shooter. First he has good size, second he has an extrmemely quick release, and third he doesn't have to be completely set to make threes. He also can hit shots over good defense because of this.

    So I just think you are selling him a little short

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  37. #22
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,778

    Default Re: Candice Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw him drain threes like he was Larry Bird. Net didn't even move. It was quite impressive.

    Perhaps we actually acquired his brother, Kris Copeland?
    Perhaps he's just in a slump. We've only played 3 games. I feel confident that he'll shake out of it. He's too good a shooter not to.

  38. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,001

    Default Re: Candace Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Considering we Granger out right now who we hope to get 25 minutes per game and there still isn't room in the rotation for Copeland, I don't see how he's going to crack the rotation at all this year other then perhaps a game here or there. Once Granger returns it's all together possible that he'll get some minutes at the 4 which will further deplete Copeland's chance of getting minutes. Even if West or Scola miss a few games this year I wouldn't see a lot of minutes for Copeland if everyone else is healthy. Scola isn't even playing as much as I'd like to see him play. By the trade deadline we'll have some idea of what Lance and Granger's value will be next year. I'd like to have the insurance policy but if a trade of Copeland for a 2cd. would come up I'd be o.k. with that.

  39. #24
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,779

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Candace Buckner: Copeland: Pacers are so deep, no room yet for him in rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too early to tell yet at this point. It's also possible, for example, that we waive Scola's contract (less than $1m guaranteed next year) and give his role to Copeland, which would save more $. But that would depend on how comfortable we are with Copeland replacing Scola. Also possible that we try to move Mahinmi instead (or in addition), so again we'll see. None of the other guys (Solo, Juice, even CJ) make enough to matter; even if the Pacers get rid of them they'll still need to find a min salary replacement, so there's not a lot of savings there.

    Btw, the early projection from count55 is that lux tax next year could get up to the $75m level, which means we may have more buffer to keep Lance before we hit the tax than previously thought. So again... wait and see.
    I've already run the #s. The Pacers are at $52.25 mil in guaranteed Salary going into the 2014-2015 season. The only way that I can see that happening ( without trading Mahinmi or Copeland ) is:

    1 ) PG24 has a starting Salary in 2014-2015 of $15.5 mil or less. This would push the Pacers Salary Cap closer to $67.7 mil and allow the Pacers to offer Lance a contract that starts at $8 mil a year in 2014-2015 before going over the LT.

    2 ) PG24 has a starting Salary in 2014-2015 of $17.5 mil or less. This would push the Pacers Salary Cap closer to $69.7 mil and allow the Pacers to offer Lance a Contract that starts at $6 mil a year in 2014-2015 before going over the LT.

    If we are to make no trades.....everything would depend on how much PG24 is set to make in 2014-2015 ( which I have no clue ) and how much Lance would likely get on the Free Agent Market.

    Does anyone know what PG24's starting Salary is in 2014-2015?

    Knowing that would help me figure out how much Lance can be offered .

    I suspect that Lance will get something between $6 mil but more than likely up to $8 mil ( which basically is some offer over the Full MLE and what GH recieved as a Starting ComboGuard ). I'm a "worst case scenario" guy...so I think ( and can really see ) that some Team will overpay for his potential...especially since the Pacers are right up against the LT.

    As for who to move to clear capspace, Bird gave up a lot of assets to get Scola. Given that his Salary is really cheap for the production that he provides and that Bird has been chasing him for the longest time...I don't see Scola being let go. That would leave Mahinmi and Copeland. Given our lack of depth and defensive presense that Mahinmi provides....I can see Copeland as being the "odd man out" if there is any decision to actually move someone to reduce the 2014-2015 Salary Cap. At worst, I guess Bird can move OJ or even Solo...but I'd be reluctant to do that for various reasons.

    Either way, I see Bird having some ( but little ) breathing room when it comes to re-signing Lance....hence why I have been reluctantly advocating trading Copeland just to clear some capspace.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-04-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  40. #25
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    There a new tv contract coming up sometime soon so we probably can't project cap past that.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •