Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theme Park Enthusiasts: Your Favorite Roller Coasters?

Default Theme Park Enthusiasts: Your Favorite Roller Coasters?

With Theme Park season right around the corner and King's Island's new 24 million dollar Banshee coaster set to open April 15, I thought it would be cool to get everybody's take on their favorite rides and coasters. I'll list a few and you continue:

Millennium Force-Cedar Point(300 some foot first drop of awesomeness)

Flight Of Fear-King's Island(love that indoor coaster)

Diamondback-King's Island(one of the most comfortable coasters I've ever ridden)

Any "Drop Zone" type free fall ride I absolutely love

Still have yet to ride Top Fuel Dragster at Cedar Point.

Continue on with coasters or any other rides or aspects of theme parks you enjoy.

Default Re: Theme Park Enthusiasts: Your Favorite Roller Coasters?

I have a fear of heights and I get motion sick.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Theme Park season right around the corner and King's Island's new 24 million dollar Banshee coaster set to open April 15, I thought it would be cool to get everybody's take on their favorite rides and coasters. I'll list a few and you continue:

Millennium Force-Cedar Point(300 some foot first drop of awesomeness)

Flight Of Fear-King's Island(love that indoor coaster)

Diamondback-King's Island(one of the most comfortable coasters I've ever ridden)

Any "Drop Zone" type free fall ride I absolutely love

Still have yet to ride Top Fuel Dragster at Cedar Point.

Continue on with coasters or any other rides or aspects of theme parks you enjoy.
    The dragster has always been an instant pass for me. 2 hour wait for a > 1 minutes ride.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I have a fear of heights and I get motion sick.
    To tell you the truth I'm a little uncomfortable at times, but not enough to keep me off coasters. If I'm on a tower or something and I start thinking about it then it can be a little freaky. Scariest thing would be to be on a small beam way up high or on the edge of a cliff with no safety measures. I stood on the very edge of a quarry once that was a few hundred feet down and that was freaky.
    Last edited by presto123; 04-04-2014 at 02:02 AM.

C'mon guys. At least comment on the coasters you've been on. Anybody rode the Gatekeeper at Cedar Point? Looks so cool going right above the entrance to the park. I watched a documentary of that on Youtube. I would recommend anybody watching building of Documentaries on Roller Coasters. Most people don't realize the amount of work and planning that goes into getting a coaster off the ground.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The three wooden coasters (Raven, Legend, and Voyage) at Holiday World are great, but The Voyage is my favorite.

Nerd.
    Mood

Also, I'm a big fan of Expedition Everest at Disney World's Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom's classic Space Mountain and Hollywood Studios' Aerosmith's Rockin' Roller Coaster are nothing to scoff at either.

I haven't been to any parks in 5 years or so, but my friends and I used to go up to Cedar Point every summer when I was in college. Easily my favorite park.

Millenium Force & Maverick are easily the class of that park. MF is a classic, and Maverick is just a ton of fun, super smooth ride with a lot of different elements thrown at you.

Kings Island was the go-to for my childhood. I haven't been there in about 10 years, but it was starting to go down in quality a bit when I stopped going. Son of Beast was a disaster, Vortex was getting older, etc. But I do love The Beast even if the thing is a ******* on your cranium, and Flight of Fear became a nice ride once they got rid of the shoulder restraints. Great queue.

(Been so long since I've been there, I actually rode Firehawk...back when it was located in Aurora, OH and called X-Flight!)

One of my favorite all-time coasters outside of the midwest, though, is Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Terrific inverted coaster.

Mood

I liked Firehawk the most, because I can be Superman for two minutes... :thatswhatitoldher:

I hope to go to Kentucky Kingdom, if it opens again.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

I second The Voyage at Holiday World. The whole time you're going up that hill you're asking yourself how in the hell you got talked into this.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granted my experience is pretty limited, but diamondback is my favorite. So comfortable like you said, and the constraints are minimal. That first hill is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    IBut I do love The Beast even if the thing is a ******* on your cranium,

(Been so long since I've been there, I actually rode Firehawk...back when it was located in Aurora, OH and called X-Flight!)
    Agreed on the beast...never feel great afterwards but it is still sweet.

Back at Geuaga Lake, eh? I wanted to go explore in there so bad.

Haven't been to a roller coaster theme park in years, since my GF doesn't like them.....

MF at Cedar Point is the best I've ever ridden.
    King Cobra at Kings Island was the worst. The very last time I ever rode it, I slammed my head against the head"rest" and by the time we got back home I had such a bad headache I was puking. Worst. Ever.

MaXair at CP and KI's Delirium are great too.

Last time I did go to KI we were the next in line to get on Invertigo (FaceOff) when a bolt (or something really hard metal) fell off and hit the top of the waiting platform. They shut down the ride for about 15mins and then cleared us to ride, but it was a bit.....unnerving.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Granted my experience is pretty limited, but diamondback is my favorite. So comfortable like you said, and the constraints are minimal. That first hill is awesome.

Yeah, I just wanted to avoid spelling it because I was unsure how. Weirdest theme park I've ever been to. It was maybe 2 or 3 things before Six Flags bought it, and then it was this Six Flags stashed south of Cleveland that nobody seemed to know about. It was a freaking ghost town in that park. Practically walked on everything. So weird because it had such a high concentration of coasters, which would normally make it a go-to destination. But with Cedar Point & Kings Island in-state, and not too far from Kennywood either, doesn't seem like anyone really thought much about it.

Obviously, played a part in it shutting down. They had some class coasters, though, oddly enough. Giant wooden coaster, a floorless coaster (Batman-themed, forget the name, but don't see those around much), a flying coast (X-Flight), etc.

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/...ow?oid=3837644

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Haven't been to a roller coaster theme park in years, since my GF doesn't like them.....

MF at Cedar Point is the best I've ever ridden.
    King Cobra at Kings Island was the worst. The very last time I ever rode it, I slammed my head against the head"rest" and by the time we got back home I had such a bad headache I was puking. Worst. Ever.

MaXair at CP and KI's Delirium are great too.

Last time I did go to KI we were the next in line to get on Invertigo (FaceOff) when a bolt (or something really hard metal) fell off and hit the top of the waiting platform. They shut down the ride for about 15mins and then cleared us to ride, but it was a bit.....unnerving.

Most unnerving experience I've had on a coaster is the Magnum at CP. We got to the top of the first hill(200 ft or so) just before you go over and the cars just stop. We sat there 200 ft up for like 5 minutes. Pretty awesome experience actually, but in the back of my mind I'm hoping to cars don't suddenly roll backwards and slam into the start.(probably not possible but after a few minutes up there your mind starts to wonder)

Cedar Point is great. But I notice as I get older and older not only do I tend to get sick now also the fun factor just isn't as great as it used to be. Last time I went I got sick and sure I threw-up, but it took me about 3 hours to get back to normal - 3 hours after throwing up. So if I ever go again I can't ride anything that goes around and round or anything that goes up-side-down.

Now I would want to ride is Millennium Force a few times and. The Raptor was what got me really sick and then that other thing where you go back and forth frontwards then backwards.

makes me so mad, because I love riding them or at least I used to.

Most unnerving experience I've had on a coaster is the Magnum at CP. We got to the top of the first hill(200 ft or so) just before you go over and the cars just stop. We sat there 200 ft up for like 5 minutes. Pretty awesome experience actually, but in the back of my mind I'm hoping to cars don't suddenly roll backwards and slam into the start.(probably not possible but after a few minutes up there your mind starts to wonder)
    Yes that is not possible - unless the whole ride basically falls apart. I believe that clicking noise you hear going up the big hill is what keeps it from rolling back down the hill. I mean not the noise itself, but the mechanism that causes the noise.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-10-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Cedar Point is great. But I notice as I get older and older not only do I tend to get sick now also the fun factor just isn't as great as it used to be. Last time I went I got sick and sure I threw-up, but it took me about 3 hours to get back to normal - 3 hours after throwing up. So if I ever go again I can't ride anything that goes around and round or anything that goes up-side-down.

Now I would want to ride is Millennium Force a few times and. The Raptor was what got me really sick and then that other thing where you go back and forth frontwards then backwards.

makes me so mad, because I love riding them or at least I used to.
    The pendulum ride?

And wooden coaster enthusiats, are you guys just short? My knees always bang the crap out of the coaster car and it sucks all the enjoyment out.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

The pendulum ride?

And wooden coaster enthusiats, are you guys just short? My knees always bang the crap out of the coaster car and it sucks all the enjoyment out.
    Or he could be describing that Viking ship thing that swings high in the air back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes that is not possible - unles the whole ride basically falls apart. I believe that clicking noise you hear going up the big his is what keeps it from rolling back down the hill. I mean not the noise itself, but the mechanism that causes the noise.
    I pretty much knew that , but like I said after a while you freak out a little. I thought maybe we might have to WALK back down to the start on those little stairs or that fire ladders would have to come get us. Probably would have been more thrilling than the ride itself. lol

I went to Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio this summer. I hadn't been to a theme park in like 11 years and had a great time, but OF COURSE a massive thunderstorm decided to randomly come in on a sunny day in the middle of a dry Texas summer. That cut the day short at about 5:30 or 6, IIRC correctly. We were in the water park when it started raining and had been planning on doing a couple more roller coasters in the evening. My only complaint about this park was that it was OBSCENELY busy and therefore we really couldn't do a ton of rides because of the waiting times, so I would never go there on a Saturday again. Great park though. Some really cool roller coasters. My favorites were The Boomerang and Superman.

The pendulum ride?

No I didn't ride that. That would be my death.

No it was the Wicked Twister. I've never screamed during a ride before to stop, not another time.

The last year I went The Maverick was brand new. it doesn't look like much, but it is a very fun ride. tons of air time and quick. But that is what started me feeling sick. Although if I would have stopped there and taken a break I would have been fine after a break.

Dragster was good - the start is the best part and the aniticipation leading up to the quick start. But the ride was so quick I don't remember it.

Millennium Force is my perfect roller coaster. Smooth, fast, no nonsense, big. I love that.

My only fears are getting and feeling sick. Plus if I ever was on a ride that got stuck and I had to walk down from the top down those little steps, I doubt I could do that
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-10-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Yeah, I just wanted to avoid spelling it because I was unsure how. Weirdest theme park I've ever been to. It was maybe 2 or 3 things before Six Flags bought it, and then it was this Six Flags stashed south of Cleveland that nobody seemed to know about. It was a freaking ghost town in that park. Practically walked on everything. So weird because it had such a high concentration of coasters, which would normally make it a go-to destination. But with Cedar Point & Kings Island in-state, and not too far from Kennywood either, doesn't seem like anyone really thought much about it.

Obviously, played a part in it shutting down. They had some class coasters, though, oddly enough. Giant wooden coaster, a floorless coaster (Batman-themed, forget the name, but don't see those around much), a flying coast (X-Flight), etc.
    Ya it is a shame really. It'd be sweet to have a local park that isn't packed.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Oh trust me, I've seen that. I'd love to explore there.

Have to be. I love the beast but it's just so uncomfortable. There's another one at KI (starts with a V I think...orange and blue track/cars) that the restraints come over your shoulders. And I literally feel like I'm being compacted. Ugh that was just making me feel sick. During the ride it was ok, but sitting at the end waiting for the other cars to get out was torture.

Edit: it's the vortex I was thinking of.

That's part of the reason I love the diamondback. It's so comfortable. Granted it may not be for larger people, it is nice for is tall people to have unlimited legroom!
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 04-10-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Ya it is a shame really. It'd be sweet to have a local park that isn't packed.

Oh trust me, I've seen that. I'd love to explore there.

Have to be. I love the beast but it's just so uncomfortable. There's another one at KI (starts with a V I think...orange and blue track/cars) that the restraints come over your shoulders. And I literally feel like I'm being compacted. Ugh that was just making me feel sick. During the ride it was ok, but sitting at the end waiting for the other cars to get out was torture.

Edit: it's the vortex I was thinking of.

That's part of the reason I love the diamondback. It's so comfortable. Granted it may not be for larger people, it is nice for is tall people to have unlimited legroom!

How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and the Vortex never bothered me. Maybe you pulled to shoulder harness down too tight before it went into locking mode.

How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and the Vortex never bothered me. Maybe you pulled to shoulder harness down too tight before it went into locking mode.
    6'4" that could be...I only rode it that one time I think.