Thread: Craig Ferguson stepping down at end of year.

Default Craig Ferguson stepping down at end of year.

Dangit, I enjoy his show. I guess I'll start going to bed earlier.

Late-night television has one more opening: Craig Ferguson announced on his CBS show Monday night that he will leave “The Late Late Show” at the end of the year.

Mr. Ferguson, whose contract was scheduled to end at that time, took the issue into his own hands and informed CBS executives that he would make the announcement Monday night. Mr. Ferguson has been the host of the CBS 12:35 a.m. show since January 2005.

Mr. Ferguson said in a statement, “CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much,” referring to two favorite props on the show.

The move comes a little more than three weeks after David Letterman announced that he would be leaving his own 11:35 p.m. late-night show on CBS and concluding his late-night career at the end of his contract next year. CBS moved quickly to name his replacement, Stephen Colbert of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report.”

At that time, questions arose about Mr. Ferguson’s future at CBS, because he did not get a shot at succeeding Mr. Letterman. In subsequent days, the CBS chief executive, Leslie Moonves, said, “12:30 is up in the air” in an interview with Bloomberg News, and suggested the network was looking at multiple candidates for “The Late Late Show” and that “a woman would be great” for the role.

That quote signaled that network most likely had other plans for the show beyond Mr. Ferguson. Several reports have also indicated that CBS previously had preliminary talks about the 12:35 host role with candidates that included John Oliver and Neil Patrick Harris.

Mr. Ferguson, Scottish by birth, became an American citizen in 2008. He won considerable critical praise during his CBS tenure for his quick wit and intelligence, and his often perceptive interviews.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/bu...year.html?_r=0

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Craig Ferguson stepping down at end of year.

Never really got into Ferguson.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Never laughed at anything that guy ever said.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Here's his announcement. This is not a good year for late night tv.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

His humor wasn't exactly my style. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a funny guy, but a little too..I dunno, zany I guess. But I give him massive credit for making something outta nothing, cuz that's what 12:30 on CBS was, and at least mixing up the format. Guy did his monologues completely off the cuff right? That's impressive as hell. Go be funny for 8 minutes 5 days a week off the top.

I think Ferguson has lost a little energy. FWIW I think he's gained some weight recently too. Maybe it's all connected...
    I don't think he's been helped by Letterman mailing his own show in for a while now. Not exactly a good lead in for the type of show Ferguson has. Couple that with his own age. And now then the realization that not only was he not moving into the 'big chair' at the Ed Sullivan Theater, but that CBS was talking aloud about new hosts for his own show. That'll zap your spirit quickly!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden