Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Pacers Bored?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Are the Pacers Bored?

The Pacers have had the best record in the NBA all season long, even with this less than stellar streak they have going on right now. Still winning the majority of their games, the Pacers haven’t looked as dominant as they did early in the season. When watching the Pacers for the majority of 2014, the word lackadaisical comes to mind. Many call it the “dog days” of the NBA season. So I ask, are the Pacers bored?

Look, we know when this team is on, they can beat any team. I said it five games in, this team should win it all. I still believe that. What this team was showing at the start of the season was a ridiculous level of play. What makes this team so dangerous is how great of a cohesive unit they are. They aren’t built like the stars in Miami. It takes a high level of focus and commitment for this team to play at their absolute best. Something we haven’t seen from them recently.

How many teams are true contenders this year? In the East its only Indiana and Miami. Out West, the question is a bit more difficult. OKC obviously. I was questioning the Spurs, but that beatdown of Miami has me feeling dumb. Then you have the newcomers which we have yet to see playoff success from in LAC, Portland and Houston. As good as Portland is, they aren’t winning it all this year. The Doc Rivers led Clippers seem to be real. Houston has kicked it up a notch since 2014 hit and look more dangerous.

So that makes six contenders in my opinion. Which leaves the Pacers with five teams to provide adequate competition. The only team the Pacers haven’t beaten in that group is OKC. Swept LAC, split with Miami so far, 1-0 vs the Spurs and Houston. Now I ask, when was the last time the Pacers have played any of these five teams?

January 18th, vs the Clippers. Which the Pacers won in an absolute stomp. When was the previous meeting against any of those teams? December 20th against Houston, a 33 point victory for the Pacers.

We had our most ridiculous stretch of basketball, schedule wise when we played these five teams six times in ten games. We went 4-2 in that stretch against them. Four of those games were on the road, including both losses, at OKC and at Miami.

Tonight we play Houston. Our first game against an elite team in nearly two months. Pau Gasol talked about it after we destroyed the Lakers. The best teams don’t try their best every game. It was what, 8 minutes in the Lakers game that won the game for the Pacers?

Quite frankly our schedule has been kind of a joke since December. Now you can say, well then we should be winning at a much higher rate. I don’t disagree. We should. But, when you are aspiring to be the best, you want to play the best. The East is absolute garbage. There is no competition for the Pacers outside of Miami. We’ve played the majority of the elite Western Conference teams already.

Lackadaisical. Our schedule hasn’t been conducive to letting the Pacers even show the best basketball. At the start of the season, it was about sending a message. The Indiana Pacers are here to win the NBA Championship. That message was received by everybody. And its still there, even as they aren’t playing at that “elite” level. 4-2 when you play the six best teams in the league in a matter of ten games is impressive. That is still who this team is. Competition brings out the best in competitors. And quite frankly, since that December stretch, the competition just hasn’t been there for the Pacers. Its just been the East… In an 82 game season, this just happens. You aren’t going to see the most inspiring basketball when you are facing the bottom of the barrel for months.

In the Pacers last 21 games, they play the elite teams five times. And play good teams another five times. So the schedule is picking up. Which I believe will be a very good thing. And it starts tonight, with Houston, the team with the best record since 2014. Lackadaisical basketball will not beat them. The boredom of the schedule is ending. The playoffs are nearing. The competition is returning. Which means in my opinion, the product on the court should be improving.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Are the Pacers Bored?

I'm sort of on board with this. I think it's a little bit of trying to conserve energy, maybe a little bored, maybe a little bit of mid-season-grind malaise, and maybe a little bit dinged up.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Yeah, it is probably a combination of about 10 things. Boredom or something similar is probably 1 of the ten things.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're itching for the playoffs to start. I think that's most of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

I think they want the Dallas and Houston games though. Houston will be a nice notch in the belt. Dallas beat us at home earlier in the season.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see them as bored after the first few "meh" games. However, if you are competitive at all, you tend to stop being bored as soon as you start failing to succeed at individual goals like hitting shots or making passes.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

If they are/were, they won't be much longer. Enough people starting to question them or knock them to where their pride should be hurting a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if they get up a bit as a result.

Now, whether "get up a bit" cures all that ails them, which is a healthy amount right now, I don't know.

No they aren't bored, they got big headed. For the past 2 months they've had every single sport publication calling for interviews. GQ photoshoot, Allstar Bids. They thought they could just show up and beat many of these teams. They need to be reminded that that haven't done anything yet. Vogel needs to take some of that EGO out of the starting line up. Put the rookie back in there for a handful of games over Lance. We obviously need a serious kick in the rear defensively.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

And I think it is something different in each game. I think in Charlotte the starters were just dead tired. Call that an excuse if you want, but it was true. Warriors - I think our first half if preety much on par for us. Second half we stepped it up, but the little stretch to start the fourth is why we lost - the Warriors played pretty well and they are good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if they are, but I certainly am.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

PG's back sort has me a little concerned. Having experience with back issues myself, I know that it can really be a worrisome sign. The fall looked bad; his comments immediately after the game weren't very encouraging; his follow-up performance of 2 points on 0-9 shooting is a concern; and mentioning his back after that game as having effected his game was concerning.

I'm hoping it's just muscular and not disc or nerve related. Everyone compares him to McGrady, who himself had back issues. Just hope that fall didn't begin that process.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if they are, but I certainly am.
    Yeah. I would like for the pacers to play about 8 more regular season games. Both Heat games, at Rockets, at Mavs, maybe 1 of the Bulls games. Spurs game, OKC game. Oh that is 7, ok, maybe the Memphis game. All the other games, just give us the win, and lets keep fresh for the playoffs. I don't think anything is gained by playing the Sixers

Maybe the new commis will grant my wish.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    PG's back sort has me a little concerned. Having experience with back issues myself, I know that it can really be a worrisome sign. The fall looked bad; his comments immediately after the game weren't very encouraging; his follow-up performance of 2 points on 0-9 shooting is a concern; and mentioning his back after that game as having effected his game was concerning.

I'm hoping it's just muscular and not disc or nerve related. Everyone compares him to McGrady, who himself had back issues. Just hope that fall didn't begin that process.
    See, I would question this team a helluva lot more than I do now if he's really playing hurt. They would have to know better than that, especially with a spinal injury, which is no joke (from personal family experience: my mom had a two-level fusion done on her cervical vertebrae, and you just don't mess with that, it can paralyze you if unattended or untreated).

Maybe he's sore, but if it's serious, this team has a lot more to answer for than a few uninspired performances.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My hope is that the team went through the proper and adequate processes to analyze his back and deemed that it was merely nothing more than a tailbone bruise or muscular thing and told him he'd be in pain and nothing more until it healed up.

He said it's still tight but he'll play tonight. I don't think it's a disc or anything serious. If so, he wouldn't be able to stand upright at all. Much less play basketball.

My hope is that the team went through the proper and adequate processes to analyze his back and deemed that it was merely nothing more than a tailbone bruise or muscular thing and told him he'd be in pain and nothing more until it healed up.

I imagine they did. They had two and a half days in Indy after the fall to do so.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've already stated a few times that I'm been worried about the team's play for almost 2 months. I hope these next two games ease my concern.

If we can't get motivated to play Houston and Dallas (who kicked our butts in a very ugly game) my worry's may be become full blown panic.

Please don't do that to me Pacers.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I've already stated a few times that I'm been worried about the team's play for almost 2 months. I hope these next two games ease my concern.

If we can't get motivated to play Houston and Dallas (who kicked our butts in a very ugly game) my worry's may be become full blown panic.

Please don't do that to me Pacers.

It's time.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Are the Pacers Bored?

They ain't bored now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better not be. They'll be more bored when the Miami Heat are hoisting up the championship trophy...

Has Paul George tied his shoe yet?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm bored already. Been an exciting season but I'm ready for the playoffs and that rematch with the Heat.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to LeRyan07 For This Useful Post:

J7F

My theory is that Thibs is in Vogel's head, so he is tanking for the 2nd seed so we face the Dinos rather than the Bulls

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bored my @ss, I think we have serious problems.

"Just look at the flowers ...."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a lull, stop freakin out.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk