Thread: Pam Oliver causes stir at Super Bowl breakfast in New York

Default Pam Oliver causes stir at Super Bowl breakfast in New York

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-in-new-york/

Pam Oliver causes stir at Super Bowl breakfast in New York

Posted by Mike Florio on October 24, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT

Getty Images
    As she prepares to work Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in February, Pam Oliver of FOX is getting a head start on winning friends and influencing people in the New York area.

According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Oliver caused a stir with remarks made at a New York-New Jersey Super Bowl breakfast for regional business leaders.

Per Hubbuch, the comments came during a roundtable discussion with owners of the Jets and Giants. He writes that Oliver drew “gasps, groans and more than a few boos for her odd and insulting comments.”

For instance, when Al Kelly, the chairman of the New York-New Jersey Super Bowl Committee, said there would probably be “a couple of idiots” who wouldn’t dress appropriately for the conditions at the game, Oliver said, “Probably Jets fans.”

She also asked Jets owner Woody Johnson, “How does Rex [Ryan] keep his job?” Giants co-owner Jonathan Tisch was asked, “[W]hat in the hell is the matter with the Giants?”

Hubbuch writes that the crowd of roughly 50 “roared” when Oliver asked Kelly and the team representatives how they intended “to instruct people of this area, particularly New Yorkers, to be nice? To say ‘please,’ ‘thank you’ and ‘I’ll get that’?”

She then added, “I’m sorry — I’m from the South.”

“I’m from New York City, and I take exception with that,” Tisch said. “New Yorkers are unbelievably hospitable.”

While Oliver was out of line, let’s not go too crazy on the actual or perceived hospitality of New Yorkers. Unless it’s now considered polite to barge onto an elevator before the person who is on the elevator has had a chance to exit.

The whole thing is a bit bizarre. FOX will be televising the game, and Oliver presumably will be working the sideline during the game. There’s no reason to gratuitously alienate the people who are helping host the event that FOX will be broadcasting.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pam Oliver causes stir at Super Bowl breakfast in New York

Concussions are no joke.

@Pacers24Colts12

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

I don't know about the New York lack of hospitality thing(never been there), but she speaks the truth on everything else. Truth hurts doesn't it fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about the New York lack of hospitality thing(never been there), but she speaks the truth on everything else. Truth hurts doesn't it fellas.
    I find NYers who have come here via transplants to be rather unpleasant and I'm sure if they are honest with themselves they probably don't think much of the people from the land of Corn and basketball.

It is what it is.

East coast people are arrogant and obnoxious.

I know - I'm from Connecticut.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like she had a few.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We were recently in NY

Perhaps we just got lucky, but the locals were awesome and incredibly nice. I even commented to one gentleman how polite they were, and he joked the locals were not bad, it was the transplants who gave NY a bad name. (He stopped to give us directions, recommended an amazing coffee shop with great bagels and danishes, and even asked offered some advice on basketball games/shows going on)

I loved it so much I half jokingly said I could move to NY tomorrow and be happy. Had an awesome time, and hope I get to go back (to see some broadway shows next time) sometime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    We were recently in NY

Perhaps we just got lucky, but the locals were awesome and incredibly nice. I even commented to one gentleman how polite they were, and he joked the locals were not bad, it was the transplants who gave NY a bad name. (He stopped to give us directions, recommended an amazing coffee shop with great bagels and danishes, and even asked offered some advice on basketball games/shows going on)

I loved it so much I half jokingly said I could move to NY tomorrow and be happy. Had an awesome time, and hope I get to go back (to see some broadway shows next time) sometime soon!
    Yeah, I visited NYC last year and it was a blast. The people were great. However, I knew way too many East Coast d-bags from my time at IU to think that's the norm. To me, NYC is a fantastic place to visit but I doubt I could ever live there.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    We were recently in NY

I agree. I've been to New York multiple times and the people are always very friendly. New York is the greatest place on earth, but I think I could only live there if I were a multi-millionaire who could live the ultimate NY lifestyle. I wouldn't want to live there as a middle class resident. The commuting and crowds would get old after a while.

Anyone ever been there in the dead of summer? Man, that place gets HOT.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I've been to NYC twice on business and twice for vacation. New Yorkers are definitely different than Hoosiers, but impolite? Not a chance. People say the same thing about Boston, but never had much of a problem there either. The only East Coast city where I've ever seen stereotypical bad behavior is Philly, and even then as soon as the game is over even they forget about it and are great folks.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

PAM OLIVER
    I DIDN'T MEAN TO INSULT NEW YORKERS
    ... But I Won't Apologize
    EXCLUSIVE
    "NFL on Fox" sideline reporter Pam Oliver says she was only KIDDING when she ripped New Yorkers at a Super Bowl event in NY last week ... but Pam tells TMZ she refuses to apologize.

FYI -- Oliver's been taking some serious heat ever since she asked the Super Bowl Host Committee how they planned to "instruct people of this area, particularly New Yorkers, to be nice" when the SB comes to the Big Apple in a couple of months.

Yesterday in NY, Pam addressed the issue head on -- saying she understands why people are pissed ... but chalks the whole thing up to a bad joke.

Pam says she loves New York ... her husband's from NY ... and she even owns an "I Love NY" shirt.

But don't expect an apology -- because even though Pam says she learned a lot from the controversy, she doesn't feel like she did anything wrong.

"Seriously, it was a bad joke."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsports#ixzz2jDXpVbpH

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post: