Thread: Justin Blackmon will miss the season for violating substance-abuse policy

Default Justin Blackmon will miss the season for violating substance-abuse policy

If they really wanted to punish him they should've let him play the entire season on the Jaguars

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...medium=twitter

NFL suspends Justin Blackmon again for violating substance-abuse policy

Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT

AP
    The promising pro football career of Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon is now officially teetering on the brink of implosion.

Blackmon, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, has been suspended for the balance of the 2013 season. He is eligible to apply for reinstatement before the 2014 season.

“All of us who are a part of the Jaguars family care very deeply about Justin and his well-being,” Jaguars G.M. Dave Caldwell said in a team-issued release. “That said, he must be held accountable and accept the consequences announced today by the NFL. His suspension will provide him the opportunity to receive the attention and professional treatment necessary to overcome his challenges, and we will support him during this time. The Jacksonville Jaguars will evaluate Justin’s status once he has successfully met the criteria to be considered for reinstatement to the league.”

The eight-game suspension strongly suggests, based on the language of the substance-abuse policy, that the penalty was the result of a negotiation between the NFL and the NFLPA.

Blackmon, as we understand it, was in Stage 3 of the league’s substance-abuse program. Violation of the policy while in Stage Three ordinarily results in a banishment with the ability to re-apply after a calendar year. The union and/or Blackmon’s representatives apparently persuaded the league to trim the return date in half.

Still, Blackmon must remain clean throughout his suspension, since he remains subject to unannounced testing up to 10 times per month. Any further slip-ups will make it harder for him to secure reinstatement in 2014.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Justin Blackmon will miss the season for violating substance-abuse policy

Forget what I said about buying low on him. Talented guy, can't keep his **** together.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Justin Blackmon will miss the season for violating substance-abuse policy

What an idiot.

Sports Logo

Hope it's at least just weed and he's not a junkie or alcoholic or something

Not even sure weed should even be on the banned substance list. I was against any legalization but now that two States have passed it, it's just a matter of time before it's legal everywhere in America. NFL should probably follow suit being that it is legal in some places.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not even sure weed should even be on the banned substance list. I was against any legalization but now that two States have passed it, it's just a matter of time before it's legal everywhere in America. NFL should probably follow suit being that it is legal in some places.
    More employers will undoubtedly test more if that happens. He's lucky he doesn't have a "real" job where would have been fired...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    More employers will undoubtedly test more if that happens. He's lucky he doesn't have a "real" job where would have been fired...
    If it is legalized and you're not impaired or smoking on the job I doubt your employer would have grounds to fire you for smoking in your own home. I doubt that Blackmon was showing up on Sunday stoned.

Mood

If it is legalized and you're not impaired or smoking on the job I doubt your employer would have grounds to fire you for smoking in your own home. I doubt that Blackmon was showing up on Sunday stoned.
    It's not uncommon for employers to make finite rules that employees agree to comply with, which they are well within their legal right to do, and the violations could very well result in just cause termination (no unemployment pay). Not to mention that many states are "At-will employment" and could very well terminate based on smoking pot because its not protected by the government.

My point is that even if it is full on legalized, there will be after-effects and quite possibly that many won't partake simply because they can still face repercussions from employers. Take Obamacare for example (I hope this doesn't derail the thread), it mandated health insurance for full time employees and you can see that employers took actions afterwards. So I don't think there is a leap to say that legislation will no be the be all end all...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Man, he was the only things Jags fans have too look forward too, and I'm sure his future down there is in doubt. I would almost be half tempted to wonder how he would do with a horseshoe on his helmet. Many talented athletes eventually grow up a la Dez Bryant. A change of scenery and a much better quarterback wouldn't hurt either. He will undoubtedly come back next year with something to prove, and I think he has excellent ability, just needs to understand what being a professional is all about.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Forget what I said about buying low on him. Talented guy, can't keep his **** together.
    *Cough*....... toldja.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-enter-rehab/

Report: Blackmon to enter rehab

Posted by Josh Alper on November 4, 2013, 6:05 AM EST

AP
    Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon is suspended indefinitely for his latest violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy and he’ll be eligible to apply for reinstatement before next season.

We’re starting to get some idea of what Blackmon will do between now and then. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Blackmon will enter a rehab facility in response to the suspension.

While it’s not clear what Blackmon did to trigger the new suspension, heading to rehab is a way to signify a serious intent to change one’s ways before it becomes time to ask back into the league. Blackmon will also be subject to unnanounced testing throughout his suspension and a rehab facility should be a pretty good place to avoid the kind of behavior that lands you on the suspended list.

As Schefter points out, the NFLPA has been pushing for players to get treatment in the wake of substance abuse violations before disiciplining them, as in the case of 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith. That didn’t happen with Blackmon, but perhaps his trip to rehab can get him some help before he does more damage to himself or anyone else.

Nerd.
    Mood

I don't like to post about drugs/laws here, but I would advise that you read up on workplace drug testing laws and what is allowed.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I don't like to post about drugs/laws here, but I would advise that you read up on workplace drug testing laws and what is allowed.
    Yeah, it's one of the weirder questions I see posed when talking about marijuana legalization (which I support). Booze is legal but you can't go to work drunk (...unless you're an executive...), no reason to think it'd be copacetic to go to work high, same with driving or whatever else. Of course, weed may be in your system long after you're actually high, but it is what it is until a cheap fool proof test for detecting marijuana intoxication hits the market. Which it quickly will once it's federally legalized in like...80 years.