Thread: Impact of losing Shaw and replacing with McMillen

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Impact of losing Shaw and replacing with McMillen

Like to get some insight from Pacers fans on impact of losing Shaw this season and replacing him with Nate.

Watching Vogel the other night contrasts in comparision to him as a rookie or even last year prior to playoffs in that he rides officials more than I am accustomed to seeing. Typically Vogel stands with arms crosses and has an everything is good look. The other nite vs NO's he was very much into it. To the point I thought he might get T'd up. lool. I still remember Frankie V's first T... I kept waiting for that one and I remember correctly it was against the Bulls. Coach Vogel had enough.

I wonder if Shaw had a calming affect on Coach Vogel. I hated seeing Shaw go.. I think the players really respected him. But Shaw deserves the opportunity to coach in this league.

How do you all see Nate impacting our coaching staff. I really like McMillen, just hoping he is a good fit here. I know his strengths I believe are defense but I may be wrong. He also won COY once didn't he.

Overall, like to give it some time first but do you all see McMillen as solid replacement for Shaw?? How will Nate impact our team???

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Impact of losing Shaw and replacing with McMillen

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like to get some insight from Pacers fans on impact of losing Shaw this season and replacing him with Nate.

Watching Vogel the other night contrasts in comparision to him as a rookie or even last year prior to playoffs in that he rides officials more than I am accustomed to seeing. Typically Vogel stands with arms crosses and has an everything is good look. The other nite vs NO's he was very much into it. To the point I thought he might get T'd up. lool. I still remember Frankie V's first T... I kept waiting for that one and I remember correctly it was against the Bulls. Coach Vogel had enough.

I wonder if Shaw had a calming affect on Coach Vogel. I hated seeing Shaw go.. I think the players really respected him. But Shaw deserves the opportunity to coach in this league.

How do you all see Nate impacting our coaching staff. I really like McMillen, just hoping he is a good fit here. I know his strengths I believe are defense but I may be wrong. He also won COY once didn't he.

Overall, like to give it some time first but do you all see McMillen as solid replacement for Shaw?? How will Nate impact our team???
    I doubt Shaw had a "calming" effect. Vogel actually lead the league in technicals by a coach last year.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah Vogel was always getting on the refs last year. Frank has gotten himself ejected twice I believe. Him being more vocal with the refs just has to do with being more confident in his role and not being the new guy on the block. Being some young coach barking at the refs isn't going to get you anywhere.

As for the differences in McMillen vs Shaw, we are going to have to wait and see. Nothing stood out to me in the first two games.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I doubt Shaw had a "calming" effect. Vogel actually lead the league in technicals by a coach last year.
    wow. I was not aware Coach Vogel was a hardass. lol.

Thanks for the update! Pryor to last seasons playoffs, esp Knicks and Heat series. Coach Vogel just always seemed calm cool and relaxed. Looks like to me him ripping officials is carrying forward to this year.

Pacers have earned the respect.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 11-01-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Sports Logo

and there was this

8. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    wow. I was not aware Coach Vogel was a hardass. lol.

Thanks for the update! Pryor to last seasons playoffs, esp Knicks and Heat series. Coach Vogel just always seemed calm cool and relaxed. Looks like to me him ripping officials is carrying forward to this year.

Pacers have earned the respect.
    I think he is usually just very selective as to when he yells at a ref.

Not hard to believe that Vogel's been intense in our first two games... they've been really intense games. Hard to believe it's just November. If it goes like this all year, I'm gonna be a nervous wreck.

It's interesting, though, that I haven't noticed much from Nate and Popeye. I'll have to pay closer attention. Very good question.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Popeye has gotten some burn on the radio shows recently.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

What exactly are we expecting to see during the games to give us an indication of the contributions of Popeye Jones or Nate McMillan? I would think we'll learn a lot more from Candace Buckner when/if she reports on them later in the season. I feel like it was the stories written about Brian Shaw that showed me his value, not watching him during a game.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Impossible to answer

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Impossible to answer
    Agreed. You probably won't be able to tell much of a difference as a fan.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Impossible to answer
    And even if we could, wouldn't it be too soon to say?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Impossible to answer
    More or less I am asking what impact do we expect from Nate McMillen. I agree you cant determine much from watching the coaches on the bench. Just asking more about Nate McMillen and what are considered to be his strengths and weaknesses.

I know he had a stint with the Supersonics I believe, wondering if there were any tendencies that could be identified from previous coaching experiences.

My understanding of McMillen is that he is a very good defensive minded coach.?

Sports Logo

I'd have to find it but I'm not going to, but I remember reading on BlazersEdge (which is pretty great) that McMillan's defensive rep is sort of overstated but hes underrated offensively. Something about his teams being pretty well rated in offensive rating, they just played at such a slow pace that people had a negative reception despite good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'd have to find it but I'm not going to, but I remember reading on BlazersEdge (which is pretty great) that McMillan's defensive rep is sort of overstated but hes underrated offensively. Something about his teams being pretty well rated in offensive rating, they just played at such a slow pace that people had a negative reception despite good results.
    On the broadcast tonight, when Mahinmi made the slick bounce pass in the paint to Lance, they talked about Coach McMillan being pleased with the play. It gives you the idea that he's actively installing quirks to our plays that maybe we didn't have before. Maybe he's a bit more of an "x's and o's" coach whereas Vogel and Shaw were both players coaches and adept at getting the players to buy into the team philosophy.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

On the broadcast tonight, when Mahinmi made the slick bounce pass in the paint to Lance, they talked about Coach McMillan being pleased with the play. It gives you the idea that he's actively installing quirks to our plays that maybe we didn't have before. Maybe he's a bit more of an "x's and o's" coach whereas Vogel and Shaw were both players coaches and adept at getting the players to buy into the team philosophy.
    Yeah, it feels like a lot of people thought Vogel was just some cheerleader or something when Shaw was here and Shaw was the real genius behind our turnaround, which was disrespectful to Frank at best, ignorant at worst. That always really, really bugged me. Now Shaw's trying to bring a philosophy to a Denver roster that just isn't conducive to it all and that just flies in the face of that perception. I don't think Frank built his philosophy on dogma and ingrained beliefs, I think it was entirely based on the roster presented to him and now the roster's being more tailored to that vision.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No difference whatsoever. Brian Shaw was the most overhyped assistant coach in Pacers history. I liked Shaw, but c'mon, he WAS AN ASSISTANT COACH
    David "And One" West

I heard that remark too. They called it a pocket pass (which is a real thing, cause I just googled it to see if I had the term right). At the time I got the impression that McMillan had been working with the bench players and that the pocket pass was something he was emphasizing.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    No difference whatsoever. Brian Shaw was the most overhyped assistant coach in Pacers history. I liked Shaw, but c'mon, he WAS AN ASSISTANT COACH
    Actually, he was an ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH.

For those of you that miss seeing Brian Shaw, NBA.com's got a couple clips of him running drills with some Nuggets in practice:
    http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2013/11...ds-by-example/

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post: