Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George buys EVERY ticket for Fresno State home opener.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George buys EVERY ticket for Fresno State home opener.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...es-Home-Opener

Already giving back to the people who helped him get here. Class act.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Paul George buys EVERY ticket for Fresno State home opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...es-Home-Opener

Already giving back to the people who helped him get here. Class act.
    That is good to hear. That program has been run into the ground the past few years sad to watch. Kevin Olekaibe last year was a disgrace to the game. I was a big fan of his as a freshmen but damn can't win when your best player is that selfish.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's so cool.

Mood

a quarter million? wow!! very impressive PG!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's a very hefty donation and a nice way to go back and thank your alma mater for all of their support.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

this is on the frontpage of yahoo.com right now

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    a quarter million? wow!! very impressive PG!

MINIMUM of a quarter million to get technical. Extremely cool gesture by our guy.
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Our on and off the court superstar
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Don't you think it's a little messed up that our society expects athletes (specifically black athletes, unless you've heard of NASCAR Cares campaign) to "give back" as if they owe to everyone around them for the hard work they do as an individual employee. They became the best at what they do, turned the NBA into a billion dollar business and THEY are expected to give back?? Because they got a nice 80 million dollar contract???

What about the multi-millionaire CEO's and billionaire executives that have made all of their money off of the hard work of American's who don't make ****??? Here's an idea- let's leave athletes alone as they're the only employees in this country who get their fair share- Let's expect every executive who has robbed all of us blind to give back.

I wish PG would just save his money, he doesn't owe anyone ****.

=)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Don't you think it's a little messed up that our society expects athletes (specifically black athletes, unless you've heard of NASCAR Cares campaign) to "give back" as if they owe to everyone around them for the hard work they do as an individual employee. They became the best at what they do, turned the NBA into a billion dollar business and THEY are expected to give back?? Because they got a nice 80 million dollar contract???

What about the multi-millionaire CEO's and billionaire executives that have made all of their money off of the hard work of American's who don't make ****??? Here's an idea- let's leave athletes alone as they're the only employees in this country who get their fair share- Let's expect every executive who has robbed all of us blind to give back.

I wish PG would just save his money, he doesn't owe anyone ****.

=)
    I sort of agree with you that athletes shouldn't be expected to donate large sums of their salary to charity, but I do think they can take advantage of their celebrity status to lead fundraisers that do benefit charities. What I don't like is when athletes create B.S. charities just for tax advantages that don't really do much good, I've heard that's more prominent than most people think.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    I sort of agree with you that athletes shouldn't be expected to donate large sums of their salary to charity, but I do think they can take advantage of their celebrity status to lead fundraisers that do benefit charities.
    Very awesome when they do this...

What I don't like is when athletes create B.S. charities just for tax advantages that don't really do much good, I've heard that's more prominent than most people think.
    Not sure it's BS- I see what you're saying, I mean I'd say it's smart versus ********. (It might be ******** to call someone an angel if that's what their intentions are, but either way, no harm done from whoever does this). I mean.. it's bad to simply get out of paying taxes, but I think I have bigger problems with corporations and rich execs paying politicians to create these loopholes versus an athlete here and there taking advantage of rules already in place simply because they can. Finally- You'd be hard pressed to find a ******** charity among athletes, while execs, once again seem to be dirty down to their core.

Anywho- doesn't matter, as long as you see that every executive in this country does this on a MUCH larger scale, using every loophole they can to make money, and it's not just athletes...

=)

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I won't get deep into the discussion but to paint high-paid executives as Ebeneezer Scrooges who get a pass while athletes are somehow not only vilified if they don't give to charity but also are the only ones who do it out of the goodness of their hearts is ridiculous.

You don't see the businessperson charities because they don't have television programs dedicated to them that are on every night of the week like athletes do.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Finally- You'd be hard pressed to find a ******** charity among athletes
    While i don't disagree that a lot of charities aren't very charitable, athletes have more than their fair share of issues too.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...tive-use-money

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I won't get deep into the discussion but to paint high-paid executives as Ebeneezer Scrooges who get a pass while athletes are somehow not only vilified if they don't give to charity but also are the only ones who do it out of the goodness of their hearts is ridiculous.
    There isn't an exec in the country that pays their employees what they deserve. Until they do... they're ebeneezer scrooges.

Read it and weep:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

if I was getting paid 90 mil (which is in reality closer to 45 or so) over the next 5 years I wouldn't give a dime of it to charity. I'd be trying to set up my grandkids and paying off mom's debts. I earned it, screw everybody else.

this kinda stuff is why I wish there'd be some kind of law, be it an actual law or a CBA deal, that prevents all the money leaks. knowing some somewhat accurate (right?) payroll for our teams helps us understand the direction of the front office I guess, but I mean, who cares? I don't know, just seems really invasive. obviously they play on a massive national stage, but then you can spend 5 seconds on Google and figure out how much they make. and if you really want to find out you can find their address.

don't get me wrong, it's the same with actors and whatever else public eye sector employee, don't like it don't do it. but man, give me a bi-weekly check for like 800k when I'm 23 or whatever and see how quick I'm in jail and doing some really, really stupid stuff.

There is a good argument to be made that everyones pay should be public tho. I mean, I haven't made my mind up either way. Not sure which would be best. But I suspect keeping your pay private is actually in the best interest of the company, not the employee.

Read it and weep:

I mean isn't that one of the reasons why athletes keep getting paid more? A little bit? "So and so got this, I want this" Lot easier to have leverage when you know what everyone else is making. I mean. Eh I dunno.

Read it and weep:

Mood

I mean isn't that one of the reasons why athletes keep getting paid more? A little bit? "So and so got this, I want this" Lot easier to have leverage when you know what everyone else is making. I mean. Eh I dunno.
    No athletes get paid more because the revenue s keep going up. Just wait til the new baseball tv deals kick in. So much $$ in that sport same with the nba and nfl. Tv deals have changed the game. they get paid what they are worth.

Sure, but not like we need public reports on deals for agents to figure out the market for their guys. I don't know, given the state of our market and all I follow the NBA market fairly closely, we've got to catch a deal when we can and all. I don't care about the money the players make (but if I were 6 inches taller...), it's just trying to figure out what's possible for the franchise given our self inflicted hard cap.

I don't know, just kinda weird how pro sports are so open about their salaries. I mean hell, you don't even need to know who the pick is to find out how much your team's 1st round pick is going to make for the next 3 years. There's no other field that's anuything like that, it's kinda scary when you think about it. It makes these guys targets on a lot of levels.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Why is this all of a sudden a rant about 'corporate America'? No one EXPECTED PG to donate. That's why people are making a big deal about it. Because it was unexpected.

There are just as many non-givers/fake-givers among atheletes as execs. Just like there are people like Bill Gates who give away huge amounts of money towards good causes.

This thread took a pretty drastic turn to the negative side.
    Grown Man Ball

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

That Fresno State A.D. is.....yowza!
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    That Fresno State A.D. is.....yowza!
    Well, he's a guy, so .................

I have a feeling PG got a pretty good group rate discount, but just to make Indy not feel left out:

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: