Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You know a team that scares me?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default You know a team that scares me?

Golden State. And I'm not saying that because they smoked the Lakers last night.

When I tuned into that game last night, they looked fantastic. I guess I had not kept up on their acquisitions in the off-season. I thought last year they already had a great young roster. So I'm looking at the screen, checkin out who they ahve on the court.... "Ah, there's Steph Curry... David Lee... yep, Klay. Oh wow, forgot they got Bogut. AND Iguodala... holy crap." So I keep watching, and they sub in JO, Speights, Draymond Green, Douglas.

It dawns on me, "Holy crap they are stacked." Their starting 5 is pretty ridiculous.

And then it dawns on me that I forgot about Harrison Barnes, who's out with a minor injury.

Good grief. And then you got Mark Jackson, who in my mind is a brilliant basketball mind, out to prove that he's a top-flight coach.

This is a dangerous team. About the ONLY thing I could see being a problem for them in the playoffs is their youth and inexperience. A team like Miami, SA, Indy might beat them on just pure veteranmanship (I just invented that word). But that team is going to be a handful this year, and even scarier in the years to come if they can keep those pieces together.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: You know a team that scares me?

Certainly a fun team to watch. In the playoffs if you want to beat them you better do it with defense and slowing the pace.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Talented offensively, no doubt, but will the be able to stop teams defensively? Not so sure about that.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

one hell of an offense for sure. defense is a big question mark. bogut is the key there. if he stays healthy he and andre can make a difference defensively.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kornheiser likes them and Chicago. Wilbon gave the P's more chance against the Heat than his beloved Bulls. Got to have low post offense to deal with Miami.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I suspect that if we end up playing them in the playoffs I'll already be so happy I'll just about explode. So "scare" is probably not the word.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Fun team to watch, they are gonna be one of my league pass favorites. I think they are still a year or two from being real contenders. Like you said they lack veteranmanship. Injuries are also a huge concern for them, Steph Curry, Bogut, David Lee are all susceptible to missing portions of the season.

I think they are designed great to go against the Heat. They just have to get there first.

They have a very good wing defender, a bunch of shooters, a good offensive PF, and a good defensive center.

Sports Logo

I don't worry too much about their defense. Bogut is a beast defensively and Iguodala is an elite perimeter defender. Mark Jackson seems like a very good defensive coach and even Klay Thompson has made strides defensively. Yes, David Lee will always be a bad defender and Curry is far from a defensive stopper but I think that they can be a good defensive team. Mind you, I'm talking about a good defensive team (top 10) not an elite one (top 3).

Their offense will certainly be one of the best this season.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one hell of an offense for sure. defense is a big question mark. bogut is the key there. if he stays healthy he and andre can make a difference defensively.
    You simply are not correct about their defense

Their defense last year was very underrated. They were 4th in defensive FG %, behind Pacers, Thunder, and Grizzlies.

And they were the leading defensive rebounding team in the NBA. Percentage wise.

There defense ranked higher than their offense

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I think they will be dangerous. Last year was their first year in the playoffs and they simply did not have the mental strength to get past San Antonio. Now that they have that experience under their belt, they will be able to learn from their mistakes and be extremely dangerous in this season's playoffs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I like Golden state. Their bench worries me. No Landry, no Jack.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Yeah, they played good defense during the regular season last year but they were awful during the playoffs. They gave up 102.5 pts. Steph Curry is a turnstile on defense, and allowing the opposing teams PG to do whatever they want will decimate whatever defense you have.

When they demonstrate the ability to stop people from scoring, then they'll be a real threat.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

The Pacers worst enemy this year is going to be ourselves. I love all the guys, but we are just an extremely careless team. I have never seen more unforced turnovers in my life. I know it's early in the year, but we struggled with it last season as well and nothing has seemed to change.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Their defense last year was very underrated. They were 4th in defensive FG %, behind Pacers, Thunder, and Grizzlies.

And they were the leading defensive rebounding team in the NBA. Percentage wise.

playoffs?

All of GS strengths fall into ours. Don't sweat it man.. We are INDIANA, We fear no team and Frank knows this. If anything it's the other way around. Right now Indiana is a team on a mission with one goal,
    Take out Miami and win that chip. Besides it's way too early the they smashed on a D-league team on a back to back.

By me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    The Pacers worst enemy this year is going to be ourselves. I love all the guys, but we are just an extremely careless team. I have never seen more unforced turnovers in my life. I know it's early in the year, but we struggled with it last season as well and nothing has seemed to change.

This is our Achilles heal sadly... Ever since Danny went out our offense has a been a T.O frenzy.

By me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Yes, they rebound extremely well and their guards also cause a lot of turnovers...

Up until recently the Warriors were just "the local team" to me since I'm such a big Pacers fan. Would go to games from time to time (such as the year they beat Dallas in the playoffs, and of course whenever the P's come to town). I'm very excited though, I bought a 12-game package this year for the Warriors - first time I've done that for NBA tickets since I lived in Indiana. Will be watching the Warriors play Indy, Miami, OKC, Chicago, Clippers, Spurs, you name it, all the best teams. Super stoked!

The nice thing for me is that I kind of live and die with the Pacers, anything GSW accomplishes is just a bonus. And they are extremely fun to watch (for me) due to their dramatic outside shooting and fast pace. They are probably still going to have some issues with experience from time to time - last year was this group's only real playoff run together. But yeah with the new pieces in place, and with Bogut hopefully healthy all year, their D is going to get even better. Should be a fun season, and yes they are a dark horse in the west for sure.

Also excited that the team is probably moving across the bay from Oakland to SF here in a couple years, even though it's somewhat controversial at the moment...
    Last edited by rabid; 10-31-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    This is our Achilles heal sadly... Ever since Danny went out our offense has a been a T.O frenzy.
    LOL! Danny was no saint when it came to turnovers. Danny averages 2 turnovers per game for his career. Paul George is the only other player on the roster to average that many per game over the course of a career.
    Grown Man Ball

They're stacked, but I don't see them getting into the finals this year. Slowing down the pace simply kills that team, and they are very much dependent on Curry's health. San Antonio just exposed them last playoffs, and unless they'll always be red hot outside the arc for the whole course of the playoffs, the farthest for this year would probably be 2nd round.

The team I'm looking at right now in the West is Houston. A little too early, but I feel they have the core enough to bring them back to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    LOL! Danny was no saint when it came to turnovers. Danny averages 2 turnovers per game for his career. Paul George is the only other player on the roster to average that many per game over the course of a career.

Our offense was top 10 and much more efficient. But that doesn't matter now sadly.

By me ^^

30. The Following User Says Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

The issue with GS has always been that they don't win slugfests. Their defense is only as active as their offense.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The issue with Golden State is going to be keeping the frail Bogut/Curry combo healthy. Bogut goes down, their defense drops several notches and David Lee's warts are exposed more. Curry goes down...well, ****.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Yeah, if we fail, this is almost certainly going to be why unless there are further health problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The issue with Golden State is going to be keeping the frail Bogut/Curry combo healthy. Bogut goes down, their defense drops several notches and David Lee's warts are exposed more. Curry goes down...well, ****.
    Yes. That, and it would just surprise me if they leap all the way from what they did last postseason to making it to the Finals, but then again the West does feel a bit weaker at the top (insofar as there's no one who is clearly going to keep everyone else out of the Finals at this point), so who knows.

For now, my assumption is Doc Rivers will get the Clippers' act together by the end of the year and they'll have that Celtic-like quality of hanging around every game, and with Chris Paul there that could be problematic for their opponent.