View Poll Results: Top Bird Trade

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • JO for Hibbert

    79 87.78%
  • Scola for GG

    11 12.22%
  • Jarrett Jack / Mcbob for Bayless

    0 0%
  • George Hill

    6 6.67%
  • Darren Collison for Murphy

    8 8.89%
  • Rush for Armundson/ Barbosa - 2nd

    0 0%
  • Birds trades have all sucked

    1 1.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

  1. #1
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,221

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Like to know what you believe is the best Larry Bird trade as Pacers President. If I forgot one please list.

  2. #2
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,510

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Hindsight being what it is, I think you have to go with the JO/Hibbert swap. That gave us the foundation to build a defense around. Without Hibbert, we just don't have the defense we do now.


    I think that if you're going to look at immediate impact comparing the value coming and going, your next two would be the DC/Murphy swap and the Hill/Kawhi swap, in that order. Hill has obviously proved to be the better player, but Kawhi is quite the player himself and Bird considered drafting him for the Pacers.

  3. #3
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,058
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Where is the Murphleavy trade? /green
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  4. #4
    Member Fo11ower91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    87
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    I say the Hill trade and Hibbert trade. The Scola trade is also going to pay off. Didn't he trade for Stephenson's rights, too?

  5. #5
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyDaysThree View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say the Hill trade and Hibbert trade. The Scola trade is also going to pay off. Didn't he trade for Stephenson's rights, too?

    No, we drafted Lance with our second round pick.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Member Fo11ower91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    87
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, we drafted Lance with our second round pick.
    Oh, it was OJ's pick we traded for then, wasn't it?

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    The JO for Hibbert is his best trade ever, the Bayless for Jack, Rush and Mcbob is an underrated trade in my opinion.

    The trade of Mcbob for OJ was also pretty good.......... oh wait

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,941

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Murphy for DC was the biggest talent upgrade, but JO for Hibbert was the most impactful.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    I agree most impact was easily JO for Hibbert so that's where my vote went. It might have taken a while to get there but once it did, wow. The how the hell did he pull it off though has got to be Plums and GG for Scola. Plumlee wasn't going to get minutes on this team, and it was time to cut bait on GG big time. How he turned that into a vet big who will contribute in Scola is beyond me. It was hard not to vote for that one and I can definitely see the logic of the folks who voted there.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,221

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murphy for DC was the biggest talent upgrade, but JO for Hibbert was the most impactful.
    underestimated is how much that actually saved the Pacers Brass. If Simon was voting, he may go Nesto/ and removing Murphs last year of contract. I don't know the exact numbers. but exporting JO and Murphys deals likely saved this Franchise 25M.

    that's likely pocket change to V81. that aside.


    If Mayo would have been shipped to us for McBob, that also may have paid bigtime dividends. The Scola deal right now .... with the fact we unloaded GG may trump all other deals. tho the Hibbs deal is by far #1.



    Were not gonna hear much from v81 this season. A team that wins 60 without a healthy DG33. Granger will stuff it down v81s throat.

  14. #11
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,076

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyDaysThree View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, it was OJ's pick we traded for then, wasn't it?
    For cash, yeah.

  15. #12
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,234

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    JO trade was great
    Trading Bayless for JJ and McBob. Just sucks we couldn't extend JJ, he's the best backup pg.
    Murphy for Collison was a steal, but then BirdWalsh f'd it up by sending Collison out to sign a FA.
    Also really like getting Scola.

    Hated the trade for Hill and still do. And I really like Hill.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 11-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  16. #13
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murphy for Collison was a steal, but then Bird f'd it up by sending Collison out to sign a FA.

    Bird wasn't the one who shipped Collison out for Mahinmi. That was one of the moves Walsh made during his one year tenure.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-01-2013 at 09:01 AM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Member Fo11ower91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    87
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For cash, yeah.
    Good trade considering his potential. He's already contributing.

  19. #15

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    I'd think for certain, 29/30 NBA teams would take Leonard over Hill right now.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,729

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    hibbert trade for sure.

  22. #17
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,510

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd think for certain, 29/30 NBA teams would take Leonard over Hill right now.
    In a vacuum, I think you would have 30/30 taking Leonard over Hill. But if we keep the pick everything changes. Who's our point guard right now? Is it still DC? Are we still looking for one? Do we trade for Brandon Jennings? Can he cut it on a good team? We most certainly don't sign Gerald Green last summer. Does Leonard develop for us the same way he does for the Spurs? Have we already traded Granger because of the promise in the Leonard/George combo? Does Stephenson ever get a chance to play or is he relegated to bench duty? Is he our point guard?

    The short of it is that both teams profited from the draft. We got George Hill and the Spurs got Leonard. We both lost a 7 game series against the Miami Heat. I'd call it a success for both teams.

  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  24. #18
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a vacuum, I think you would have 30/30 taking Leonard over Hill. But if we keep the pick everything changes. Who's our point guard right now? Is it still DC? Are we still looking for one? Do we trade for Brandon Jennings? Can he cut it on a good team? We most certainly don't sign Gerald Green last summer. Does Leonard develop for us the same way he does for the Spurs? Have we already traded Granger because of the promise in the Leonard/George combo? Does Stephenson ever get a chance to play or is he relegated to bench duty? Is he our point guard?

    The short of it is that both teams profited from the draft. We got George Hill and the Spurs got Leonard. We both lost a 7 game series against the Miami Heat. I'd call it a success for both teams.
    Stop comin in here and throwing all that logic around. It isn't appreciated around here. Didn't you know that every trade has a winner and loser? It can't be a good trade for both teams, that just isn't allowed. It can't even be close either. It has to be a landslide win for one team and a crushing loss for the other. Gosh darned crazy talk around here I swear...

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  26. #19
    Member Fo11ower91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    87
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Leonard really is on the same level as Hill in my opinion. Yes, he's a great staple, but so is Hill. Neither will ever be all-stars so I just don't see the Hill trade being a bad trade for us. He fits better with our core.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fo11ower91 For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,173

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    I was very much against it at the time, but there's no doubt it was the JO trade.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  30. #21
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,076

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    looking back on it, the JO trade may be the best trade of what, the last 10 years? not counting the "trade" for Lebron and stuff like that.

  31. #22
    Member VideoVandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coatesville, IN
    Posts
    351

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    I find it kind of funny how the Scola trade does not mention Miles Plumlee. He gets omitted by the poll just like fans omitted him before he ever played a game. I must admit I am guilty of omitting him on draft night. I hated the pick at the time but after watching him play summer league and D-League games I was starting to like what I saw. Thus far through 2 games he seems to be showing that it may have been a mistake to ever omit him. He is putting up very respectable numbers as their starting C right now.

    Edit: Want to clarify that me stating this does not mean I dislike the trade, I think Scola has been and will continue to be a great asset and shredding Green's contract was great. Just merely pointing out how Plumlee was not even mentioned in the poll.
    Last edited by VideoVandal; 11-02-2013 at 12:44 AM.

  32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:


  33. #23
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    If Kawhi Leonard was not traded, we would have Indiana Leonard, not San Antonio Leonard. We don't know if Indiana Leonard would even be any good. Granted we all would love to think about Lance, San Antonio Leonard, PG, West, and Roy starting, but the fact is, without Popp's coaching and the veterans he's around there, he might not become a good player.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  35. #24
    Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Weren't there more pieces involved in the "Scola for GG" trade?
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

  36. #25
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,221

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Top Larry Legend Trades as Pacers President

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it kind of funny how the Scola trade does not mention Miles Plumlee. He gets omitted by the poll just like fans omitted him before he ever played a game. I must admit I am guilty of omitting him on draft night. I hated the pick at the time but after watching him play summer league and D-League games I was starting to like what I saw. Thus far through 2 games he seems to be showing that it may have been a mistake to ever omit him. He is putting up very respectable numbers as their starting C right now.

    Edit: Want to clarify that me stating this does not mean I dislike the trade, I think Scola has been and will continue to be a great asset and shredding Green's contract was great. Just merely pointing out how Plumlee was not even mentioned in the poll.
    not really a synopsis but I see logic in your evaluation of plumlee. It was just a quick insider pacer trade poll. moreover, so thrilled to lose GG that I simply overlooked plumlee.

    but ya.. I got nothing against plums and would like to have him as insurance as a big,,, getting rid of GG tho you just cantt let that go. then u get Scola,,,, just overlooked plums. hope we get him back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •