Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: Four big IF's about Lance Stephenson.

Banned

Default Re: Four big IF's about Lance Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, you are twisting his words and you are doing it again in this post. He's just saying he is more comfortable starting. And what he said about Lance is exactly true and is showing this season, he's a playmaker with the second unit.

You are suggesting Danny is being diplomatic as some sort of cover rather than because thats how he actually feels. Thats twisting his words right there.
    OK lets pretend that instead of the god DG saying this things is Lance Stephenson saying it, the crying, veins cutting and building jumping in PD would be at an all time high, some would be asking to cut Lance because "OMG how somebody dares to say that? OMG ahhhhhh".

But of course nothing happens because is DG :

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    From the interviews I've HEARD (inflection holds a lot of value in these situations for me), I think it's pretty obvious Danny wants to start and sees himself as a starter. But he's also fine with being the 6th man if that's what Frank wants. Not necessarily happy with it, but wouldn't create waves or anything. Whole lot of pop psychology involved here, but I think that has as much to do with Danny understanding we can't afford him after this year and he wants to get one last big deal as anything. Not necessarily ego or I gotta get mine type stuff, just hey I gotta show people I can still play. And I don't blame him.
    Thats what I've gotten out of it. Above all else, Danny wants to win. But of course he wants to start. I wouldn't expect anything else from him. But I know he would be fine coming off the bench because of who he is. He's been talking about how nice it is not to have that full load of carrying the team on his shoulders for the past few seasons now.

Danny's a smart guy. He knows the situation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Fine, but where does that come off as "if I don't get what I want I'm going to ruin everything"?

What ELSE is he supposed to say? Well, OK, I know YOU want him to say, "no, I can't do this any more, my whole career has been a sham, I suck, I should never have been a number one guy on this team, Lance should start and I should be in street clothes and give my entire salary for my career back to Herb," but other people find an explanation - which, by the way, matches the explanation Lance gave for why he'd be good coming off the bench - to be a long way from disruptive.

As for the comparison to Iverson, if you remember Iverson as being at all reasonable about why anyone would do better off the bench as opposed to focusing solely, completely, and utterly on the idea that he either starts or nothing, feel free to trot it out. Also find me any place where AI ever said he'd be willing to come off the bench - and by that I mean prior to his pathetic attempt to get back into the NBA.

But fine. Danny Granger is the Pacer's Allen Iverson - but not in skill, only in that he is so selfish he'd rather blow up the team than come to practice, work with players who might end up better than him, or come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    OK lets pretend that instead of the god DG saying this things is Lance Stephenson saying it, the crying, veins cutting and building jumping in PD would be at an all time high, some would be asking to cut Lance because "OMG how somebody dares to say that? OMG ahhhhhh".

No, thats not what would happen at all. But if thats how you see people on here, well I just don't know what to say. So many of the people who want Danny to start, pretty much all agree Lance is a better player. And I think they all would be absolutely fine if Lance does end up starting over Danny because they know the team will still be contending.

Just like Vogel said earlier in the year, he wants Lance to be fighting for that starting spot to keep it. So do I. Because a Lance that is fully engaged is the best Lance there is. Despite what you think, there isn't some sort of agenda for this all to make Granger look amazing. This is all about winning a championship this year. We want the team at its best with both units. Some think that Granger starting and Lance off the bench will do that. Thats all it is. But for some reason you don't seem to understand that and think we hate Lance and only love Granger.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Umm - didn't Lance say he wanted to be a starter early in his career here? And didn't the vast majority of PD say that he should want to be a starter and he was fine for saying that? Yeah, there were a couple of idiots, but a couple of idiots doesn't equal "building jumping at an all time high".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If we had a better playmaker than Lance then I would want that guy to be the 6th man while Lance is starting.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

I'm going with we need to change the rules so there are 6 starters.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm going with we need to change the rules so there are 6 starters.
    So Scola can start.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Lance isn't making me want him to start at point any time soon. Rough tonight. Thinking mainly of decision making.

A sweet comeback by Lance in the second half, but by doing things that reinforce he should stick to being a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    A sweet comeback by Lance in the second half, but by doing things that reinforce he should stick to being a wing.
    I agree. For now, I think he has to play SG. I did not see the disaster in the first half, but I'm sure it was ugly. I think he is currently missing something to be a PG in the league. In the meantime, I think he could create very well whether on the first or second units. I think I'm done fighting that fight...and comfortable with Vogel and Bird making the decisions.

Edit: BTW, I do think PG could be his position in the future but I'm not that hung up on it. I think he can be a very good SG and I did not think that until he started shooting better. As bad as he played he was still 50% from 3 tonight.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 11-06-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's better on the wing. Let him do what he does best...make plays.

There's no way I'm taking him out of the starting lineup though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    and comfortable with Vogel and Bird making the decisions.
    That's where I'm at as well
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Upfront I have not read this thread. If this has been suggested or spoke of so be it. I always felt Bird envisioned Lance as a potential point guard. With Hill out, and Lance playing well our best lineup could be Lance, with Paul and Granger at wings. Please do not misinterpret. In no way do I want Hill on bench. More or less speaking regarding nagging injuries to GH3. Plus Lance is still way to "inexperienced." Add to it Coach Vogel squashed the idea on JMV last year I let it be. Long term though I believe Lance can be a point guard but still way too early to let him run it with first string.

Like to see how he does off bench when Granger returns. This team is so deep. At the end of the day Lance is a natural two guard if he gets his jumpshot right. Final thought. One day I see Lance being able to dish on those fast break opportunities. He can drop dimes. As long as he locks down defensively and keeps his teammates involved, he will get his.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post: