View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

43 32.33%
  • Roy Hibbert

54 40.60%
  • Lance Stephenson

36 27.07%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't really care about the Oladipo cheering. Obviously they would at his first check in, nothing wrong with that at all. I was surprised how audible the cheer was for his first basket, but meh, first NBA points, I get it. I'll probably do the same if/when Hummel scores whenever Minnesota comes to town.

But booing E'Twaun pissed me right the **** off. That's classless. Screw the kid that made the NBA and is actually from Indiana because he went to a school you don't like, right?
    I honestly didn't hear any booing for him, but I'll agree with you. There's no reason for that. But all I heard for him was weirdly loud clapping from like four people in my section, which led me to realize that E'Twaun Moore played for the Magic - which was actually news to me.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I don't mind that, but I do mind people leaving early because it distracts me from watching the game. Just sit the extra 2-3 minutes and watch the end of the game.
    Staying for those 2-3 extra game time minutes, turns into 30 more minutes on the commute home. Sorry if seeing Rasual Butler is more important to you, than trying not to turn a little over an hour drive into almost 2 hours.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Staying for those 2-3 extra game time minutes, turns into 30 more minutes on the commute home. Sorry if seeing Rasual Butler is more important to you, than trying not to turn a little over an hour drive into almost 2 hours.

My drive is longer than yours and I got home just fine, even though I stayed 'til the end. Indy has a traffic problem like Muncie has a smog problem.

My drive is longer than yours and I got home just fine, even though I stayed 'til the end. Indy has a traffic problem like Muncie has a smog problem.
    And you were up at 5am for work too I suppose?

I just love when people stand on their soapboxes and think just because they don't have a problem with something, other people shouldn't either, like all our lives are the same cookie cutter.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Paul was able to make plays when he needed to, same for Lance, and same for Roy. It was a total team effort tonight which that is what it's going to take to win a title
    "We want Miami"

Couple things on the game last night..

I think Frank has shown all last season and again last night that he is fantastic at making half time adjustments. The only thing the Magic had going for them in the first half was the PnR, 2nd half we were going under that pick and it was game over. Great bit of awareness and adjustment by the coaching staff.

Orlando Johnson is my favorite bench player.... his skills, work ethic and personality, just love how he goes about his business.

Lances performance last night makes any debate on whether he should be starting or not seem silly.

Roy, Paul, David did what they are supposed to do when they are anchoring a team with title hopes.

and lastly... sure we can beat teams like the Magic even when we turn the ball over that many times... but we won't be able to beat Miami until we can find a solution to that particular problem. arrrghhh... turnovers are surely this teams achilles heel and it ticks me off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FireTheCoach For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    Couple things on the game last night..

I think Frank has shown all last season and again last night that he is fantastic at making half time adjustments. The only thing the Magic had going for them in the first half was the PnR, 2nd half we were going under that pick and it was game over. Great bit of awareness and adjustment by the coaching staff.

Orlando Johnson is my favorite bench player.... his skills, work ethic and personality, just love how he goes about his business.

Lances performance last night makes any debate on whether he should be starting or not seem silly.

Roy, Paul, David did what they are supposed to do when they are anchoring a team with title hopes.

and lastly... sure we can beat teams like the Magic even when we turn the ball over that many times... but we won't be able to beat Miami until we can find a solution to that particular problem. arrrghhh... turnovers are surely this teams achilles heel and it ticks me off.
    first game of the year, we will be fine. Everyone is still getting used to being back on the floor.
    "We want Miami"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

As far as the game goes, watching Lance handle the ball was superb. I didn't think he got to handle the ball much with the starters, I thought he did his damage with them by getting on the offensive boards, but if he's going to make decisions like he did last night then I'd love to see him start and have GHill play off the ball and be the guy who goes to the corner, which I think he's much better suited to do.

Usually Lance likes trying to force things, but last night he would attempt something and immediately recognize it wasn't going to work and then bail out. I didn't think the Lance would have the maturity to recognize it, which I don't think is a bad thing.

I walked away thinking Lance looked the best with the bench though, because anything that gives him more freedom to operate is a good thing.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    Lances performance last night makes any debate on whether he should be finishing or not seem silly.
    Fixed.

I think there is some merit for those of us considering a Ginobli/Jason Terry role off the bench. But even if Danny comes back fairly healthy, Lance should be finishing, regardless of whether he starts or not.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

On the Peyton vs Victor thing: Football and Basketball are a slightly different watching experience. Football is very structured in the "Yell at the opposing offense, Quiet for the offense, except on a completed play," thing. I also think there's a bit more of the 'we want to see him do well,' sentiment, hence the cheering when he scored. It's not like Colts fans were hoping Manning would 'work out' with the Broncos. That's pretty much a given. And yes, a NBA regular season game between a contender and a lottery team and a NFL regular season game between two division leaders, one of them an undefeated squad.

Also let's face it, basketball tends to be a sport where you have a lot of fans of individual players even if you like another team, moreso than football. There probably were a lot of casual fans in the stands, who may or may not be emotionally invested Pacer fans. People have been Colts fans for years and years, many people have only started rooting for the Pacers again in the last 1, 2 years.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    And you were up at 5am for work too I suppose?

I just love when people stand on their soapboxes and think just because they don't have a problem with something, other people shouldn't either, like all our lives are the same cookie cutter.
    Fans who bag on people for leaving early just need to get over it. They do not walk in those peoples shoes so they have no clue why they are leaving. Some can be leaving to beat traffic, some could have promised their kid they would home at a certain time, or have a really long drive ahead of them. It typically is just a big pissing contest about who is being a better fan. The same junk happens over on the Colts forum.

You paid for those tickets and if you want to leave a few minutes early because we have the game in hand then more power to you. It does not make you any less of a fan.

The game itself was just a nice way to start the season. Definitely need less of the turnovers, but overall it was a good start.

Seeing Lance play has me really excited to see what level he can get to this season.

Scola hitting jumpers was refreshing to see after having to watch brick after brick from Hansbrough.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    says the murderous meth cook
    Tread lightly.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    first game of the year, we will be fine. Everyone is still getting used to being back on the floor.
    I am assuming, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you are referring to the turnovers I mentioned.... ehh, it's really got nothing to do with this being the first game of the year, not like I don't know it's the first game of the year ya know... actually it's a troublesome trend that is continuing from all of last season. Turn the ball over 20 times against the Magic and you still win by 10, do the same against the Heat and you get smoked.

Don't want to appear down on anything though, it was a great opening night for the Pacers and this is definitely the best team we've had since '04 IMHO.

But booing E'Twaun pissed me right the **** off. That's classless. Screw the kid that made the NBA and is actually from Indiana because he went to a school you don't like, right?
    If it makes you feel better, I booed them both equally (actually, I think Victor got it worse).
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

After Vogel said Lance would not play PG this offseason, Lance ran PG in the 4th and CJ played off the ball, probably for this reason. I love the Lance/Scola combo. Sometimes instinctive players match well with intelligent players, and that's the case here.

That is an excellent point.

To make a larger point might it be that Lance has improved enough that we want him on the court with the starters and the bench players. I think he is good in either situation, although probably more important with the bench players. But with the starters he adds a spark that they sometimes need. And with the bench he provides playmaking.

To me I was extrmely impressed with Lance's improvement from last year. I expect PG to be better, but Lance looked really good to me
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-30-2013 at 01:05 PM.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

One thing that bothered me about the turnovers, is Roy blocking a shot, saving it from going out of bounds, and then just tossing the ball back into the court of play. Someone has got to get in his ear to either let it go out of bounds and reset your defense, or if you're going to save it, launch the ball to the other end of the floor allowing the defense to reset. Throwing it back into the court of play, when you're out of position along with everyone else, is really really compounding the "turnover" into an almost fast break like situation.

Mood

I get a little bummed in the heat of the moment when fans are loudly cheering for the opposition, but ultimately it makes sense. For them, this isn't 1 out of 41 games. It's 1 out of 1 or 2 games depending on the team, so it's a special occasion for them to come cheer on their boy (be it an Indiana kid, some other college darling, or an NBA superstar). Makes sense that they would be especially passionate at the game because it's not very often for them.

I may not appreciate it, but I understand it. So long as they're not rude or hostile to other fans, I'm fine with them.

I just accept that this market isn't saturated with thousands of ravenous and very loud home fans that come every night. Though at least we're blessed to have two fan sections that are like that, which is great. But for me, who is clearly one of the team's biggest fans, it's just not my personality to be up and yelling all the time. I'll do it if something excites me enough, but I'm hardly rowdy, either.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    To me I was extrmely impressed with Lance's improvement from last year. I expect PG to be better, but Lance looked really good to me
    Considering how much he improved going into last year, that's almost scary.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Brohan Cruyff For This Useful Post:

I didn't really care about the Oladipo cheering. Obviously they would at his first check in, nothing wrong with that at all. I was surprised how audible the cheer was for his first basket, but meh, first NBA points, I get it. I'll probably do the same if/when Hummel scores whenever Minnesota comes to town.

Yeah the booing of Moore had no base to me. I cheered a bit for both when they came in, but nothing the rest of the night.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Tread lightly.
    kay

(last gif I promise)

(maybe)

Sports Logo

How is Fans at BLF cheering for Oladipo any different than Bulls/Heat/Lakers/LeDecision buying tickets to go see them play? I know that it can be very annoying.....cuz they would much rather come to BLF to see their fan favorite Player.....but they came out to BLF, help line the coffers of the Simons and spend $$$ that will go to Indy. Oh...that and a segment of the Indy population that are die hard Basketball fans that usually may not come out to see Pacers game otherwise had a chance to watch a dominant Pacers Team manhandle the Magic. Sure, the fans came out to see their favorite college Player.....but they were also treated to a Block Party where they got to see every drive that Oladipo made to the basket soundly rejected by Hibbert and Mahinimi. What matters is that I think that some fans probably walked away realizing that the Pacers are actually a good team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

"please guys... no more....."

-Horse (RIP)

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    How is Fans at BLF cheering for Oladipo any different than Bulls/Heat/Lakers/LeDecision buying tickets to go see them play? I know that it can be very annoying.....cuz they would much rather come to BLF to see their fan favorite Player.....but they came out to BLF, help line the coffers of the Simons and spend $$$ that will go to Indy. Oh...that and a segment of the Indy population that are die hard Basketball fans that usually may not come out to see Pacers game otherwise had a chance to watch a dominant Pacers Team manhandle the Magic. Sure, the fans came out to see their favorite college Player.....but they were also treated to a Block Party where they got to see every drive that Oladipo made to the basket soundly rejected by Hibbert and Mahinimi. What matters is that I think that some fans probably walked away realizing that the Pacers are actually a good team.
    Less douchey, thats for sure.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I was at the game last night.
    Most meaningful impressions?
    Paul's assists
    Roy's D
    Lance's offensive rebounding !!!!
    Scola!!
    and sadly, G Hill's lackluster play.
    also, Ian is not very good but I digress.

Good win which needs to be followed up by a strong performance tonight.
    If this team is a true title contender, they have to be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That dude is a friggin' goober.
    So, did you know that Michael Pointer has a comedy act? I am surprised:

From Twitter --
    Michael Pointer ‏@michaelpointer 13h
    My next gig during Open Mike Night @CrackersComedy in Broad Ripple is Nov. 19.Would be honored if you joined us and supported local comedy.

----
    Michael Pointer Verified account
    @michaelpointer
    Sports writer for Indianapolis Star. Father, amateur historian, aspiring comedian and novelist. V-P, Indianapolis Newspaper Guild.