View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

43 32.33%
  • Roy Hibbert

54 40.60%
  • Lance Stephenson

36 27.07%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Default Re: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a wannabe until he does something to make a name in the NBA. Until then he's another IU player who got drafted in the NBA looking to be able to be more than those IU players who got drafted but couldn't make it in the NBA.
    Unlike all the Purdue players that are setting the league on fire?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    But they do have more credibility to lecture a class. Because you know, Purdue is more highly regarded academically. Oh, and honestly... accusing people of being jealous makes you sound childish. I'm a Pacers fan but don't live in Indiana and therefore, have no loyalties to any of the universities in the state of Indiana. Having said that, I assure you, nobody is jealous of IU sports. Haven't been to the Elite 8 since 2002 and haven't won a championship since 1987. And football? The program is laugh worthy. Career winning percentage of 42.4% which is good for 624 losses and a conference winning percentage of 30.5% which is good for 463 losses. As if that's not sad enough, it gets worse. Those 463 conference losses exceed Indiana's 454 career wins.
    Throwing stones in a glass house, aren't we? Seeing as how both IU and Purdue are both ranked much higher than your boys on Rocky Top (not that those rankings are even close to an exact science, but you referenced them so I'll play). Your football program is broken. Your men's basketball program has largely been a dumpster fire until Bruce Pearl bent the rules and got people to stop thinking of you as a women's basketball power for about a year.

Look, I dislike hoosierguy's pro-IU, anti-everyone else raging nonsense as much as anyone. Every fan base has them, and as embarrassed as I get about a lot of IU fans, Volquest isn't exactly a pool of sane individuals, either. He's on the extreme end. We all aren't that bad. But when you start throwing **** like this post around, I'm going to feel compelled to defend IU.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It's no Lance Stephenson naming his sons Lance and Lantz, but still interesting.
    Wait, is that real? I mean...that's a thing?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    OK, seriously, why is everyone picking on IU in here because we have one jackalope on the boards with an IU avy who can't be contained?

Talking about how Purdue is better because it's more highly regarded academically? First of all, both schools are great, but for different things. IU has the number 2 music school in the country, a top ten business school, a top 5 SPEA school, and a bunch of other really strong programs.

As far as our athletic programs, perhaps take a peek at our Soccer and swimming programs. Two of the most decorated, if not the most decorated programs, in their respective sports. We have 24 national titles. One more than Tennessee BTW. And our most recent national title was not decades ago, it was last spring in soccer over Georgetown and it was nationally televised. And please don't tell me that "soccer and swimming don't matter" or I'll sick Pat Summit on you.

But you know feel free to just crap all over a school and fan base because of one dude and because Oladipo got some cheers last night.
    You are slipping. You forgot about the baseball team making it to the college world series.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    So, kind of like Darrel and his brother Darrell?
    Or George Foreman's kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Can someone explain to me why former IU, former local High school or former local college players get a much better reception than former Pacer players who come back here?

In fact who was the last former Pacer player who got a huge ovation when he comes back to play the Pacers. The last one I vividly remember is when Detlef Schrimpf came back aa few few after his trade to Seattle.

But I don't remember Dale Davis, AD, Mark Jackson getting anything more than a polite reaction.

Did brad Miller get much of a reaction - although I guess he was a former pacer and a former HS and college player, so might be difficult to determine why he got his response.
    I remember Brad Miller getting big reactions, but like you mentioned he had multiple connections to the state.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Nicholson was a player I liked in the 012 draft who I was hoping would slip to the Pacers at #26 but unfortunately that didn't happen. He was starting over McBob last year as a rookie when Glen Davis got injured. He's one of those players I will keep an eye on this season.
    I like Nicholson as well. He has to learn how to play defense but he's a good scorer.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Play of the game for me was the beautiful, unscripted play Lance and Scola made in the 4th. Scola cut backdoor on the baseline and Lance found him with a perfect bounce pass. After the defense collapsed Scola kicked it right back to the wide open Lance for a 3. That's not a play Tyler or any of our recent backup big men could make. Scola no doubt will be a difference maker whether he's scoring or not.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Considering that Purdue fans scream IU sucks at games where IU is not even involved they have no credibility to lecture on classy behavior.
    not sheriff serious

It's funny that I get labeled an extremist when all I did was stick up for my alma mater and refute the unwarranted attacks on IU fans for cheering a beloved former player. Oh the horror!

Furthermore, am I the only one that recognizes the blatant hypocrisy in labeling me an extremist when the lunatic rants by multiple posters against IU fans for simply cheering Oladipo are met with nodding approval? Why are their own schools' fanbases so weak that they can't support former players?
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 10-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    It's funny that I get labeled an extremist when all I did was stick up for my alma mater and refute the unwarranted attacks on IU fans for cheering a beloved former player. Oh the horror!

Furthermore, am I the only one that recognizes the blatant hypocrisy in labeling me an extremist when the lunatic rants by multiple posters against IU fans for simply cheering Oladipo are met with nodding approval? Why are their own schools' fanbases so weak that they can't support former players?

I think you need to take a little breather.

We all friendz here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

My undergrad is Purdue and graduate degree is IU. I like both schools well enough but I will say that I am sick and tired of IU alumni driving like maniacs in and around Indianapolis. SLOW IT DOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    My undergrad is Purdue and graduate degree is IU. I like both schools well enough but I will say that I am sick and tired of IU alumni driving like maniacs in and around Indianapolis. SLOW IT DOWN!
    I find Purdue and IU grads are equally terrible drivers.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I find Purdue and IU grads are equally terrible drivers.
    you guys are getting closer to realizing something about humanity as a whole

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Wait, is that real? I mean...that's a thing?
    Oh it is real. And it is spectacular.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I know they all left early, but I always did find it kinda weird how nobody EVER talked about Plumlee being an Indiana kid.
    It's exactly because they left early. The Plumlees left Indiana and thus are not considered "local boys". That also played a part in some people's dislike against Miles.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I guess for me I just don't understand why any of you care so much about someone who doesn't cheer when you think they should cheer or doesn't boo when you think they should boo. Who cares? Isn't that a decision that's up to each individual?

The only time I can immediately think of where I'm critical of fans cheering is when they cheer over an injury to an opponent.
    Anyone has the right to cheer for whoever he wants. I just get disappointed when the opposing team receives more cheers than us in our home. That didn't happen in this game so I had no problem with it.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    It's exactly because they left early. The Plumlees left Indiana and thus are not considered "local boys". That also played a part in some people's dislike against Miles.
    I doubt it. They're from Warsaw, so they're pretty far removed from the Indy area, I doubt a whole lot of people know they're orginally from here and I doubt even if they did they'd care about them leaving.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The key here is LOCAL. We aren't talking about people from Chicago, or just superstar fans. We are talking about people who if they are to have a favorite team in the NBA it would be the Pacers. If college stars get them to come, and expose them to the Pacers I think it is a good thing as unlike those other two groups it is conceivable this team could win them over as fans. Very few of the IU fans there were there to watch Orlando. They only wanted to see Oladipo, and I imagine most wanted the Pacers to win. I hope tons of fans of local talent (HS or College) go to every game where we are playing a local talent because not only does it help keep the team financially viable, it also exposes the Pacers to potential fans.
    Will they become Pacers fans, though? Or they will just fill the fieldhouse every team we play the Heat or the Bulls in order to cheer on LeBron and Rose?

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I doubt it. They're from Warsaw, so they're pretty far removed from the Indy area, I doubt a whole lot of people know they're orginally from here and I doubt even if they did they'd care about them leaving.
    To be honest, I was mostly guessing based on what I read earlier in this thread. I'm not that good in Indiana's geography either so I didn't know how far away Warsaw is either

Edit: So, Warsaw is in Kosciusko County? So, a city that is named after the Polish capital is located in a country named after a Polish national hero. Well, that's fitting
    Last edited by Nuntius; 10-31-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

This is isn't the case. Hell, I spend nearly as much time in Kosciusko County as I do in Indy (it's still listed as my location to the left) and I didn't even know they played high school basketball before leaving. I knew they grew up on Winona Lake (Lovely little community by the way. We'd drive over and eat at the original Cerulean restaurant. I haven't tried the second location in the new Alexander Hotel but I'm sure it's just as good.) but that was as far as it went with my knowledge of their upbringing. And I'm a pretty big fan of all things basketball in this state.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 10-31-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Yeah, I never really considered the Plumlees as part of the fabric of Indiana basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    My father knew, when I didn't, and when he knows I am sure a good amount of people know.

Will they become Pacers fans, though? Or they will just fill the fieldhouse every team we play the Heat or the Bulls in order to cheer on LeBron and Rose?
    That was my point, those who came to the Magic game are not Lebron or Rose fans. They won't be going to Pacer games to cheer on superstars. They would only be going to Pacer games to cheer on local products or the Pacers themselves. They most likely are already very very casual Pacer fans to begin with.

Sports Logo

That was my point, those who came to the Magic game are not Lebron or Rose fans. They won't be going to Pacer games to cheer on superstars. They would only be going to Pacer games to cheer on local products or the Pacers themselves. They most likely are already very very casual Pacer fans to begin with.
    Let's hope so, my friend. I really, really hope that this is the case. It's just that when some of those "college fans" posted in this forum after the comments that Hill made last year I got a whole different vibe out of them. Of course, 1-2 people are a small sample size.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014