View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

43 32.33%
  • Roy Hibbert

54 40.60%
  • Lance Stephenson

36 27.07%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Mood

Default Re: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

I guess for me I just don't understand why any of you care so much about someone who doesn't cheer when you think they should cheer or doesn't boo when you think they should boo. Who cares? Isn't that a decision that's up to each individual?

The only time I can immediately think of where I'm critical of fans cheering is when they cheer over an injury to an opponent.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a wannabe until he does something to make a name in the NBA. Until then he's another IU player who got drafted in the NBA looking to be able to be more than those IU players who got drafted but couldn't make it in the NBA.
    ... I booed the **** out of the guy last night and even I think this is ridiculously harsh.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I left with around 1:30 on the clock, hope they don't revoke my season tickets, had full ones for 27 years. It took 2 vicodins for my back to make that long.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Get over it. People go to games for all different reasons: Some are die-hard fans of the team, others like basketball, others go to see their favorite college players when they come play locally, who are we to judge people for their reasons for going to the games? They are paying for the tickets and have the right to enjoy their in-game experience just as much as you, me, or anyone else. Oladipo is beloved by a massive local fanbase. To think he wouldn't get a huge ovation in his first ever pro game 45 minutes away from a place where he is revered is insane.
    The key here is LOCAL. We aren't talking about people from Chicago, or just superstar fans. We are talking about people who if they are to have a favorite team in the NBA it would be the Pacers. If college stars get them to come, and expose them to the Pacers I think it is a good thing as unlike those other two groups it is conceivable this team could win them over as fans. Very few of the IU fans there were there to watch Orlando. They only wanted to see Oladipo, and I imagine most wanted the Pacers to win. I hope tons of fans of local talent (HS or College) go to every game where we are playing a local talent because not only does it help keep the team financially viable, it also exposes the Pacers to potential fans.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

He's a wannabe until he does something to make a name in the NBA. Until then he's another IU player who got drafted in the NBA looking to be able to be more than those IU players who got drafted but couldn't make it in the NBA.
    wut

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Can someone explain to me why former IU, former local High school or former local college players get a much better reception than former Pacer players who come back here?

In fact who was the last former Pacer player who got a huge ovation when he comes back to play the Pacers. The last one I vividly remember is when Detlef Schrimpf came back aa few few after his trade to Seattle.

But I don't remember Dale Davis, AD, Mark Jackson getting anything more than a polite reaction.

Did brad Miller get much of a reaction - although I guess he was a former pacer and a former HS and college player, so might be difficult to determine why he got his response.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-30-2013 at 02:55 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    The key here is LOCAL. We aren't talking about people from Chicago, or just superstar fans. We are talking about people who if they are to have a favorite team in the NBA it would be the Pacers. If college stars get them to come, and expose them to the Pacers I think it is a good thing as unlike those other two groups it is conceivable this team could win them over as fans. Very few of the IU fans there were there to watch Orlando. They only wanted to see Oladipo, and I imagine most wanted the Pacers to win. I hope tons of fans of local talent (HS or College) go to every game where we are playing a local talent because not only does it help keep the team financially viable, it also exposes the Pacers to potential fans.
    I was wondering why the 1st game of the Pacers season was against a lowly Team like the Magic....I mean, why did the Bulls get to play the Heat...why couldn't the Pacers play a higher profile Team like the Knicks or the Nets?

I then realized that Adam Silver essentially threw the Pacers a bone by scheduling the NBA Debut of Indiana's beloved Oladipo in Indianapolis. Sure, attendance was likely up due to the IU fans flooding BLF to see him play ( while getting blocked multiple times by Hibbert/Mahinmi )....but I'm okay with that because of the exposure the Team is getting to the larger Local fanbase.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Can someone explain to me why former IU, former local High school or former local college players get a much better reception than former Pacer players who come back here?

In fact who was the last former Pacer player who got a huge ovation when he comes back to play the Pacers. The last one I vividly remember is when Detlef Schrimpf came back aa few few after his trade to Seattle.

But I don't remember Dale Davis, AD, Mark Jackson getting anything more than a polite reaction.

Did brad Miller get much of a reaction - although I guess he was a former pacer and a former HS and college player, so might be difficult to determine why he got his response.
    First off, this is a college/HS state where when those players come back the first time or two there are a lot of non-Pacer fans going to the game just to see them. Although I don't really remember the first game back of the late 90's players, I am too young for anything before that team, I know recently there haven't been many players worth cheering for. The early 00's have the brawl stigma, the others just really didn't make a big enough name for themselves while here. James Jones was just starting to emerge as a spot up shooter, McBob probably didn't get any playing time when he came back, and Jarret Jack only played one season. Those are the only players who were liked enough for me to think they might get a cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Considering that Purdue fans scream IU sucks at games where IU is not even involved they have no credibility to lecture on classy behavior.
    But they do have more credibility to lecture a class. Because you know, Purdue is more highly regarded academically. Oh, and honestly... accusing people of being jealous makes you sound childish. I'm a Pacers fan but don't live in Indiana and therefore, have no loyalties to any of the universities in the state of Indiana. Having said that, I assure you, nobody is jealous of IU sports. Haven't been to the Elite 8 since 2002 and haven't won a championship since 1987. And football? The program is laugh worthy. Career winning percentage of 42.4% which is good for 624 losses and a conference winning percentage of 30.5% which is good for 463 losses. As if that's not sad enough, it gets worse. Those 463 conference losses exceed Indiana's 454 career wins.

I had no desire to touch on any of this but it's a peeve of mine when people go around calling others "jealous" and "hater". Mainly because, that card is played when someone is incapable of coming up with a coherent argument and actual facts. You chose to get on your high horse and act condescending based on the premises that people are jealous of IU. Having touched on IU's success above or lack thereof, what exactly is there to be jealous of?

I don't think you'll find a single college football fan that's jealous of IU football fans. That would be like being jealous of Bobcat basketball fans. And while you may have found college basketball fans jealous of IU basketball fans at one time, why would they be now? If you're 25 years old, you would have been 14 the last time that Indiana was one of the 8 teams left standing in the tournament. So basically, anyone under the age of 20 isn't even old enough to have remembered Indiana finishing 5th at best in the NCAA tournament. And if you go back to the last championship, you'd have to be 40 years old just to be 14 when they won a championship. In other words, most people under the age of 35 weren't even old enough to remember Indiana's last championship. So with that being said, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in their 20's who is jealous of anything related to IU sports and IU fandom. I don't know about you, but I'm not jealous of fans from other programs having to sit through decades of winning nothing on a national level.

Anyways... I apologize for coming off as a jerk but that's kind of how you came off. So, I hope enjoy the rest of the day and go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK, so you're just that bitter. I get it now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I mean, it's pretty obvious. If a guy grew up and/or played his college ball in Indiana he's "one of us." You watched him grow up, read his boxscore when he was just playing for "the love of the game" and all that hokey stuff. It's state and school pride.

Like it or not, but people will almost always form a stronger bond with amateur athletes than pro. A lifer who significantly changed a franchise, like a Reggie or Peyton, is about the only exception to that rule.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    First off, this is a college/HS state where when those players come back the first time or two there are a lot of non-Pacer fans going to the game just to see them. Although I don't really remember the first game back of the late 90's players, I am too young for anything before that team, I know recently there haven't been many players worth cheering for. The early 00's have the brawl stigma, the others just really didn't make a big enough name for themselves while here. James Jones was just starting to emerge as a spot up shooter, McBob probably didn't get any playing time when he came back, and Jarret Jack only played one season. Those are the only players who were liked enough for me to think they might get a cheer.
    Through a couple of weird twists of fate, he hasn't had a game here since he left. 2011-12 was the 50 game lockout season. The Lakers didn't play here that year. Last season, the Magic played here once after he was traded to Charlotte who played here twice before he got there. Wouldn't expect much of a crowd reaction either way when he does return. Now when Zeller comes in for him, that will get quite a reaction.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I know they all left early, but I always did find it kinda weird how nobody EVER talked about Plumlee being an Indiana kid.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    But they do have more credibility to lecture a class. Because you know, Purdue is more highly regarded academically. Oh, and honestly... accusing people of being jealous makes you sound childish. I'm a Pacers fan but don't live in Indiana and therefore, have no loyalties to any of the universities in the state of Indiana. Having said that, I assure you, nobody is jealous of IU sports. Haven't been to the Elite 8 since 2002 and haven't won a championship since 1987. And football? The program is laugh worthy. Career winning percentage of 42.4% which is good for 624 losses and a conference winning percentage of 30.5% which is good for 463 losses. As if that's not sad enough, it gets worse. Those 463 conference losses exceed Indiana's 454 career wins.

I had no desire to touch on any of this but it's a peeve of mine when people go around calling others "jealous" and "hater". Mainly because, that card is played when someone is incapable of coming up with a coherent argument and actual facts. You chose to get on your high horse and act condescending based on the premises that people are jealous of IU. Having touched on IU's success above or lack thereof, what exactly is there to be jealous of?

I don't think you'll find a single college football fan that's jealous of IU football fans. That would be like being jealous of Bobcat basketball fans. And while you may have found college basketball fans jealous of IU basketball fans at one time, why would they be now? If you're 25 years old, you would have been 14 the last time that Indiana was one of the 8 teams left standing in the tournament. So basically, anyone under the age of 20 isn't even old enough to have remembered Indiana finishing 5th at best in the NCAA tournament. And if you go back to the last championship, you'd have to be 40 years old just to be 14 when they won a championship. In other words, most people under the age of 35 weren't even old enough to remember Indiana's last championship. So with that being said, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in their 20's who is jealous of anything related to IU sports and IU fandom. I don't know about you, but I'm not jealous of fans from other programs having to sit through decades of winning nothing on a national level.

Anyways... I apologize for coming off as a jerk but that's kind of how you came off. So, I hope enjoy the rest of the day and go Pacers!
    OK, seriously, why is everyone picking on IU in here because we have one jackalope on the boards with an IU avy who can't be contained?

Talking about how Purdue is better because it's more highly regarded academically? First of all, both schools are great, but for different things. IU has the number 2 music school in the country, a top ten business school, a top 5 SPEA school, and a bunch of other really strong programs.

As far as our athletic programs, perhaps take a peek at our Soccer and swimming programs. Two of the most decorated, if not the most decorated programs, in their respective sports. We have 24 national titles. One more than Tennessee BTW. And our most recent national title was not decades ago, it was last spring in soccer over Georgetown and it was nationally televised. And please don't tell me that "soccer and swimming don't matter" or I'll sick Pat Summit on you.

But you know feel free to just crap all over a school and fan base because of one dude and because Oladipo got some cheers last night.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I know they all left early, but I always did find it kinda weird how nobody EVER talked about Plumlee being an Indiana kid.
    He left before high school. It'd be like if people thought of Greg Oden as a New York kid or Mike Conley as an Arkansas kid.

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    He left before high school. It'd be like if people thought of Greg Oden as a New York kid or Mike Conley as an Arkansas kid.
    pretty sure Miles played at least 2 years for Warsaw

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    pretty sure Miles played at least 2 years for Warsaw
    Oh you're right. I had no idea. Apparently they left because their father felt they weren't getting enough playing time. Also their father is named Perky. It's no Lance Stephenson naming his sons Lance and Lantz, but still interesting.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/...-hometown.html

-Lance Stephenson

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Perky Plumlee sounds like a character out of Blue Chips. Did Coach K give them a tractor?

I cheered for Dahntay Jones after he hit a FT in garbage time in the ATL series last season.. But needless to say, I was solo on that one haha. But I cheer for some ex-Pacers.. Dahntay happened to be one of my favorite guys when he played for us.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Perky Plumlee sounds like a character out of Blue Chips.
    Sounds like a stripper ................

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Oh you're right. I had no idea. Apparently they left because their father felt they weren't getting enough playing time. Also their father is named Perky. It's no Lance Stephenson naming his sons Lance and Lantz, but still interesting.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/...-hometown.html
    So, kind of like Darrel and his brother Darrell?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I clap for former Pacers and sometimes former College players when they are first introduced, if I liked them, sometimes boo'em if I didn't. When the ball is thrown up they are all the enemy, I want them all to go 0-the game and play like dog doo.

I do enjoying the George and Roy Sections chanting "Who Cares!" when the opposing players are introduced.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    So, kind of like Darrel and his brother Darrell?
    and his other brother Daryl
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I clap for former Pacers and sometimes former College players when they are first introduced, if I liked them, sometimes boo'em if I didn't. When the ball is thrown up they are all the enemy, I want them all to go 0-the game and play like dog doo.

I do enjoying the George and Roy Sections chanting "Who Cares!" when the opposing players are introduced.
    I usually go with the "who are ya" instead, because I'm an awful stereotype of a soccer fan.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Brohan Cruyff For This Useful Post: