View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

43 32.33%
  • Roy Hibbert

54 40.60%
  • Lance Stephenson

36 27.07%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

I can't complain about the offense when PG and Lance combine to shoot 57%. That being said, I hope Roy gets more than 6 shots tonight.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brohan Cruyff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's because people were actually scared of the Broncos.
    You shall refer to them as the Peytons and the Peytons only

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I've got no idea what to say about this guy.
    I do. We sat behind him last night, and he was much more interested in whatever was going on, on facebook or whatever non-sports related websites he was on, but it surely wasn't the game. I would love to have a job where I got to go to sporting events and get paid for it, but it looked like he'd rather send out some pokes than pay attention. Lucky *******.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You think so? I'll take the over. They won't be great... heck, they won't even be good. But they've got some firepower, and I can see them winning more than 20 games.
    I said 20ish. I think anywhere between 20-25 is reasonable, but yes I think so. That team is terrible. Other than Philadelphia and Phoenix, who could both threaten the '72-'73 Sixers, there isn't a worse roster in the league. It took a late season push to get Charlotte to 21 wins a season ago. That Charlotte team is better than this Orlando team. Granted there are more tanking teams so that could inflate their record but I think 25 wins is their ceiling.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 10-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The people cheering when he scored were likely IU fans who are pretty blasé about the Pacers in general. I'm sure there were a fuel dual hatters that cheered when he scored, but I think most people were in the camp that they wanted Oladipo to well, but wanted the Pacers to win.
    Yeah, I'm a huge IU fan and Vic's one of my favorite players ever, so I cheered him when he came in the game the first time. After that I was all Pacers, though I will admit that it hurt quite a bit to cheer the four or five times he got blocked going to the rim.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brohan Cruyff For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

We live in a basketball state but most of the people are big into HS and College ball, we have to expect that people will cheer for guys who played in Indiana, in fact I like that they do that!

I also think when they come to these games to see a college star, and see the Pacers play the kind of D that they have been playing, I believe a lot of those casual fans will see that its worth watching more. Growing up I knew a guy who was all IU all the time and he always said that he hated the NBA because they did not play any D (this was the 80's) but when Larry Brown made them play D he took notice and has been a fan ever since.

One of my favorite moments as a Pacer was was a game many years ago I was watching league pass and was seeing the other teams feed, DD went up for a Dale Davis (a rebound should be called a Dale Davis just saying) and the crowd cheered for the way he got position, blocked out and controlled the board. The announcers on the other team felt that they had to explain to their audience why the Pacer fans were cheering for a rebound! They went on an on about Indiana's tradition of HS and college ball and how defense was really important to us. They clearly had never heard their crowd cheer for a defensive play!

My rambling point is that I don't care what gets my fellow Hoosiers to games, once there the product is going to start winning them over. Let them come in their LeFlopp jerseys or better yet to cheer on an Indiana college or HS star.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This was a great, Pacers majority crowd tonight. I honestly don't see anything to complain about.
    I expected a lot of Oladipo fans, and they were there, but for the most part they cheered for him and cheered for the Pacers as a whole. I'm OK with that - it's a damn sight better than the days when GHill would come in and half the Fieldhouse was Spurs jerseys cheering for San Antonio as a whole.

There will always be fans of the other team in the house. That's more than fine with me, considering I was one of them in Atlanta for a couple of decades. I don't think we're going to see too many games where Pacer fans are outnumbered by fans of the other team any more. I think people coming to the Miami games will want to cheer for the Pacers after the ECF last year, though they will certainly ooh and ahh for LBJ. The only concern I always have is for Bulls games, and that's just because we're so close and it is so cheap to buy tickets in Indy compared to Chicago that they buy their seats first and worry about the record later - unlike casual Pacer fans who wait to see how well the team is doing first.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I do. We sat behind him last night, and he was much more interested in whatever was going on, on facebook or whatever non-sports related websites he was on, but it surely wasn't the game. I would love to have a job where I got to go to sporting events and get paid for it, but it looked like he'd rather send out some pokes than pay attention. Lucky *******.
    He rubs me the wrong way on Twitter. Then I read stuff like this and the previous post about the guy and, well, I'm glad he isn't the permanent Pacers beat writer, put it that way.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He rubs me the wrong way on Twitter. Then I read stuff like this and the previous post about the guy and, well, I'm glad he isn't the permanent Pacers beat writer, put it that way.
    Isn't he the one who made the twitter announcement about Wells leaving The Star? I'm sure that's exactly how Wells wanted the announcement to be made.........

15 blocks is not necessarily a good thing. Most blocks occur at the rim, so that means the Magic were getting to the rim, which is not what we want. Having said that I would have to go back and re-watch and see how many times the blocks occurred because of a breakdown defensively. And beyond that that is our bigs job to erase any mistakes. My only real point is 15 blocks without more evaluation is not always a good thing.

Oh and Vic is going to be really good. I don't follow college ball so that was the first I have really seen him, plus NBA might be better suited to his game
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-30-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Isn't he the one who made the twitter announcement about Wells leaving The Star? I'm sure that's exactly how Wells wanted the announcement to be made.........
    Yeah, and then it came out that he was taking over the Pacers beat in the interim, and proceeds to admit that he knows virtually nothing about the team and that the fans "probably knew more." Even if that's true...**** man, you just shot your credibility.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Let them come in their LeFlopp jerseys or better yet to cheer on an Indiana college or HS star.
    I actually saw a Heat LeFlopp jersey at the game last night. It REALLY did say Flopper on the back.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Hill was fantastic as usual
    Gotta be honest about this. Hill did nothing to impress me. He didn't really upset me either, he was just sort of..........not noticible, to me.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I didn't really care about the Oladipo cheering. Obviously they would at his first check in, nothing wrong with that at all. I was surprised how audible the cheer was for his first basket, but meh, first NBA points, I get it. I'll probably do the same if/when Hummel scores whenever Minnesota comes to town.

But booing E'Twaun pissed me right the **** off. That's classless. Screw the kid that made the NBA and is actually from Indiana because he went to a school you don't like, right?

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    I'm just going to echo what has been said plenty of times already. I was not a fan of how the crowd reacted to Oladipo. He had the loudest ovation the entire night. Louder than Paul, louder than Roy, louder than when they honored Larry Bird! Seriously...I like Victor, but to give him a better ovation than our guys and the greatest Hoosier basketball player of all time is just ridiculous.
    Was Oscar Robertson there? I must have missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    15 blocks is not necessarily a good thing. Most blocks occur at the rim, so that means the Magic were getting to the rim, which is not what we want. Having said that I would have to go back and re-watch and see how many times the blocks occurred because of a breakdown defensively. And beyond that that is our bigs job to erase any mistakes. My only real point is 15 blocks without more evaluation is not always a good thing.
    But doesn't the article you posted actually explain that? If we're not bodying up on guys to prevent them from penetrating (and thus drawing fouls), then forcing the ballhandler into the rim protector is exactly what we want to do.

I'm concerned about that strategy when we're playing guys like LBJ or DRose who will get fouls called when they slam into the defender at the basket, but for everyone else I'm OK with it
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    But booing E'Twaun pissed me right the **** off. That's classless. Screw the kid that made the NBA and is actually from Indiana because he went to a school you don't like, right?
    says the murderous meth cook

As far as the loudness of the cheers for Oladipo vs. everyone else, I'm not sure where some of you guys were sitting. From where I sat, the cheers for the Pacers during introductions were so loud you couldn't hear Grady speak. The cheer for Oladipo when he came in wasn't nearly as loud (remember, he wasn't a starter so him coming in was the first time his name was called). The Boos post-introduction were pretty much even with the cheers for him when he did something.
    BillS

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    But doesn't the article you posted actually explain that? If we're not bodying up on guys to prevent them from penetrating (and thus drawing fouls), then forcing the ballhandler into the rim protector is exactly what we want to do.

I'm concerned about that strategy when we're playing guys like LBJ or DRose who will get fouls called when they slam into the defender at the basket, but for everyone else I'm OK with it

Wait, you expect me to read the articles I post. Just kidding. yes I guess is does to some degree. As I mentioned I would have to go back and re-watch parts of the game to see how the blocks occurred. I don't think letting ballhandlers into the lane is the strategy.

Watson's defense is so much better than DJ's. That is where he is just much better. Offensively it seemed Watson was getting pressurred and having trouble getting us into our offense.

As far as the loudness of the cheers for Oladipo vs. everyone else, I'm not sure where some of you guys were sitting. From where I sat, the cheers for the Pacers during introductions were so loud you couldn't hear Grady speak. The cheer for Oladipo when he came in wasn't nearly as loud (remember, he wasn't a starter so him coming in was the first time his name was called). The Boos post-introduction were pretty much even with the cheers for him when he did something.
    From where I sat (208), Oladipo got the loudest cheer of the night until George's end of 3rd quarter three. It's weird, because on the TV replay you could barely hear the cheers.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I expected a lot of Oladipo fans, and they were there, but for the most part they cheered for him and cheered for the Pacers as a whole. I'm OK with that - it's a damn sight better than the days when GHill would come in and half the Fieldhouse was Spurs jerseys cheering for San Antonio as a whole.

There will always be fans of the other team in the house. That's more than fine with me, considering I was one of them in Atlanta for a couple of decades. I don't think we're going to see too many games where Pacer fans are outnumbered by fans of the other team any more. I think people coming to the Miami games will want to cheer for the Pacers after the ECF last year, though they will certainly ooh and ahh for LBJ. The only concern I always have is for Bulls games, and that's just because we're so close and it is so cheap to buy tickets in Indy compared to Chicago that they buy their seats first and worry about the record later - unlike casual Pacer fans who wait to see how well the team is doing first.
    This happened? I don't remember anything like this in any of his 3 games as an opponent in Indy.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Watson's defense is so much better than DJ's. That is where he is just much better. Offensively it seemed Watson was getting pressurred and having trouble getting us into our offense.
    After Vogel said Lance would not play PG this offseason, Lance ran PG in the 4th and CJ played off the ball, probably for this reason. I love the Lance/Scola combo. Sometimes instinctive players match well with intelligent players, and that's the case here.

*edit*-it's really nice to have a competent backup PG for a change. Watson is so much better than DJ. His numbers weren't significantly better than DJ's, but his play was.
    Last edited by imawhat; 10-30-2013 at 09:09 AM.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    From where I sat (208), Oladipo got the loudest cheer of the night until George's end of 3rd quarter three. It's weird, because on the TV replay you could barely hear the cheers.
    Be careful when the Bobcats come to town. Fans might be fainting and collapsing in the stands when Zeller is introduced. I think that he'll get an even bigger ovation than Oladipo since he is an Indiana native.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Be careful when the Bobcats come to town. Fans might be fainting and collapsing in the stands when Zeller is introduced. I think that he'll get an even bigger ovation than Oladipo since he is an Indiana native.
    I don't mind that, but I do mind people leaving early because it distracts me from watching the game. Just sit the extra 2-3 minutes and watch the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I didn't really care about the Oladipo cheering. Obviously they would at his first check in, nothing wrong with that at all. I was surprised how audible the cheer was for his first basket, but meh, first NBA points, I get it. I'll probably do the same if/when Hummel scores whenever Minnesota comes to town.

I agree, there is no need to boo Moore. The Fieldhouse isn't Assembly Hall north. No need to boo a guy who is from Indiana, played college basketball in Indiana, and now has made it to the highest level.