View Poll Results: Tonight's Player of the Game goes to...

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

43 32.33%
  • Roy Hibbert

54 40.60%
  • Lance Stephenson

36 27.07%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Default Re: Pacers/Magic Postgame Thread 10/29/13

Paul George is really showing signs of elevating from all-star to superstar. And that's freaking awesome. He looks as confident as he's ever been, attacking and finishing better than ever, and he walked away shooting 50% from the floor, just like he wants to do all year. He looks physically stronger, and his off the dribble shooting looks better than ever. Could make the ultimate difference between contending and winning it all.

Roy was terrific on D and the boards. Amazing work with those blocks; I actually thought he had at least one more block than he got credit for.

Lance was great with both 1st and 2nd units tonight.

Orlando looked good. As did Ian.

Scola wasn't great, but just seeing him nail those long 2s was refreshing after years of Tyler bricks.

Despite looking bad in the first half, it was nice to see the bench come through in the second half to break the game open.

Solomon looked like a rookie.

Hill was mostly pretty forgetful.

West didn't do a lot offensively, but he was making his presence felt overall.

It didn't feel like it, but we actually out rebounded Orlando tonight. Hopefully we aren't too much worse at rebounding compared to last year.

Overall, I still don't have a very good feel for this year's squad, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Even if Danny never plays.

CLEAN THE DAMN FLOOR PROMPTLY, TOWEL BOY!!!!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forgot to mention OJ. Have loved his confidence since last season when he started getting more minutes. Dude won't shy away from taking the shot or an effort. Both his shooting and his drive will help us this season.
    Watching the game....OJ was the difference maker in the 3rd QTR...once he stepped on the court...the momemtum switched to our side.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I was impressed by CJ when he nailed that corner 3 with the defense right on him.
    I just like the fact he is strong with the ball such as difference from DJ different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I just watched a replay of Hibbert's fall. That did not look good at all .

Arron Afflalo fell in the same exact spot a few plays earlier and the sweat wasn't cleaned up. Hibbert's leg hyper-extended when his foot didn't plant correctly.

That's why he stopped playing for Jamaica. He sprained his knee on a wet spot. I hope this is nothing more than a sprained knee.

I watched a few of the friendly Hibbert played in on FIBA Americas stream back in the day. I played in a better gym in middle school than some of those America's tourneys.

I am ok with Nic killing us. I will live with him shooting 3s instead of giving Vuc and Harkless layups. If Harkless could shoot he would have special potential. His shot is just so bad kid has a long way to go, but I love the way he plays.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-30-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Watching the game....OJ was the difference maker in the 3rd QTR...once he stepped on the court...the momemtum switched to our side.
    He needs to be aggressive offensively whenever he is on the court. In the first half he was just kind of eh, but like you said he really changed things in the 3rd when he came in.

Mood

16 boards + 7 blocks is ridiculous for only 27 minutes, but I mean if I had to nitpick he DID only have 4 boards after the first quarter. Not knocking Roy at all but I'd give it to Paul.

Stephenson, George, and Hibbert dominated tonight in their own ways. I think overall, though, we just outbigged them all night, with the exception of Maxiell. Maxiell did a great job on David West though and I think he threw West off of his rhythm tonight. They really are a small team though. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an NBA team called for as many traveling violations as were the Magic tonight.

I think overall we didn't play that great of a game, but we were just more talented and more disciplined. Fun game to watch though! My vote for player of the game goes to Roy. He gave us so many extra opportunities tonight to try and score with, both offensively and defensively. I think Lance is my second pick, because he got all of his points in the flow of the game.

I didn't like the way that Paul George was clearly playing for stats the whole time he was on the court in the fourth quarter. On 3 straight (I think) possessions he gave up a layup going for a steal, shot a pull-up 3 pointer, and got out of defensive position again to go for a steal, again leading to a layup.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    16 boards + 7 blocks is ridiculous for only 27 minutes, but I mean if I had to nitpick he DID only have 4 boards after the first quarter. Not knocking Roy at all but I'd give it to Paul.
    He played 12 minutes in the first quarter, and he absolutely controlled the paint on both ends of the floor in that quarter. And 4 boards in ~15 minutes is right at the rate he averaged all of last season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I didn't like the way that Paul George was clearly playing for stats the whole time he was on the court in the fourth quarter. On 3 straight (I think) possessions he gave up a layup going for a steal, shot a pull-up 3 pointer, and got out of defensive position again to go for a steal, again leading to a layup.

Sounds to me like he way playing hard

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    Sounds to me like he way playing hard
    I agree, he was working very hard to add to his stats. The specific plays I mentioned were all terrible decisions, and they led directly to Orlando getting the score close enough to have an outside shot at the win. The steal attempts were of the "let your man blow by you so you can swing at the ball from behind him" variety. If he didn't get the steal, and he didn't either time, the result would be a wide-open layup. It's not the way PG usually plays defense.

I had no problems with his first 3 quarters.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

I wish FSI had caught Roy's "King Kong" run down the floor at that block that led to the PG three about midway through the third.... His confidence is right where it left off in June.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Really interesting to see the bench come together in the second half after a miserable showing in the first half. Don't know if Frank made some adjustments there, or if they just took a few minutes to come together and find a groove. Whatever it was, more of that second half all year, please. It's so nice to have a quality bench.

Good opening night! One down, eighty-one to go!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm dreading when the Bobcats come to down and all the Zeller fans come out of the woodwork. Like someone else said earlier, I get it. But I don't like it. Nor should I like fans cheering for a guy who isn't a Pacer and was never a Pacer, for that matter.

Just my opinion, probably wrong. Ah well.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    He played 12 minutes in the first quarter, and he absolutely controlled the paint on both ends of the floor in that quarter. And 4 boards in ~15 minutes is right at the rate he averaged all of last season.

good point.

Also, I like the Watson-Johnson-Stephenson backcourt off the bench.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I'm dreading when the Bobcats come to down and all the Zeller fans come out of the woodwork. Like someone else said earlier, I get it. But I don't like it. Nor should I like fans cheering for a guy who isn't a Pacer and was never a Pacer, for that matter.

Just my opinion, probably wrong. Ah well.
    that Bobcats game Could be a sell out, and that would be the first time ever for that team coming to Indy.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

32 free throw attempts for us vs 10 for the opposition. That's taking it to the hoop. Now if we could make 75 percent of them or so....
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

The starters MUST have a passer. That would be Lance at this point.

Our offense only seemed to flow smoothly when the bench played their second go-round. The Pacers could beat Orlando by an average of 20 or better while coasting for the second half if they simply would move the ball and move without the ball. That would take more energy which would in turn reduce the overall defensive effectiveness, but I believe that would still be a net positive compared to most possessions being reduced to one pass to the designated scorer on a given play who then worked to get his own shot, often of poor quality.

Glad that the Pacers got the W, but there is a long way to go before the Pacers can execute an offense that is good enough to compete against top quality teams.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I'm even more concerned about Hill's role in the main offense with PG handling the ball more. He needs to be on the move, putting up his floater and taking advantage of his size over other point guards. Our best offense is still West at top of the key/elbow faking and finding cutters. Our defense is still insane.

Overall, not too much to read into. The crowd could have stayed, but the homecourt advantage situations don't come against the lottery teams. The Magic will be a fun team to watch that loses a lot. I'm looking forward to more of this here basketballs.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

I'm sad, no Odd Thoughts for the opening game.

31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quick thoughts on the game.

PG All Star moving to Super Star
    Roy DPOY
    David, made some great passes. still BAMF.
    Lance, played one of his best all around games.
    George, is just a solid player.

The bench. Thank you Larry Legend.

This could be a GREAT YEAR.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to colts19 For This Useful Post:

I'm just going to echo what has been said plenty of times already. I was not a fan of how the crowd reacted to Oladipo. He had the loudest ovation the entire night. Louder than Paul, louder than Roy, louder than when they honored Larry Bird! Seriously...I like Victor, but to give him a better ovation than our guys and the greatest Hoosier basketball player of all time is just ridiculous.

It was just really disappointing to see that reaction from the crowd. I like Victor and I cheered a bit when he came into the game, but I gave him nothing else the rest of the game. When PG blocked Victor on a dunk attempt, it really seemed like the reaction was a mix of "what an awesome play" and "shut the hell up and support the Pacers." The reaction seemed like it was somewhat directed at the IU fans in the crowd.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think we are there now. Lance Stephenson isn't going to be a backup in the NBA. We can talk all day about him being the next Manu Ginobili, but obviously we aren't going to have the money for both Lance and Danny. The future is now folks.
    ...which is why Danny is gone after this year unfortunately...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I wish FSI had caught Roy's "King Kong" run down the floor at that block that led to the PG three about midway through the third.... His confidence is right where it left off in June.
    What I liked better was when my wife observed Roy doing some kind of crazy moves on the bench when Ian had back to back monster plays in the 3rd... I love seeing players celebrating for their teammates more than themselves...

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Matt Painter needs to burn the shirt he was wearing. That's all.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    ...which is why Danny is gone after this year unfortunately...
    If he accepts his role and the salary that goes with it - this doesn't have to be the case. Not saying that's what is going to happen, but it's what should happen.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post: