Thread: Pacers Playbook Discussion

Default Pacers Playbook Discussion

I've been wanting a place to talk about the team's offensive sets. I thought I'd try this thread out and it can be bumped throughout the season as new wrinkles are added and discussed.

For starters, did anyone see any new plays last night? I didn't even see new wrinkles. Everything looked exactly like last year's playbook. Didn't Vogel (or somebody) talk about the new assistant coaches adding new looks to the offense?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers Playbook Discussion

To be honest I was just enjoying the action and didn't get too involved in a lot of the plays. Although seemed like Scola fit in nicely into West's spot and could run pretty much the same plays as West.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

although I was in and out of the game due to an infuriating stream, I didn't notice anything new either.

no need to bust out the big guns against Orlando I suppose..

Zach Lowe just tweeted this.

@ZachLowe_NBA: Pacers seem to have tweaked one aspect of their core pick-and-roll coverage, but might have been a one-game thing. We'll see.

https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/sta...24505545633793

7. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been wanting a place to talk about the team's offensive sets. I thought I'd try this thread out and it can be bumped throughout the season as new wrinkles are added and discussed.

For starters, did anyone see any new plays last night? I didn't even see new wrinkles. Everything looked exactly like last year's playbook. Didn't Vogel (or somebody) talk about the new assistant coaches adding new looks to the offense?
    I honestly didn't see ANY new plays. The usual ones were there. Hibbert posting up and George going under him down the basket in case he gets free for an easy basket otherwise Roy would go on with his posting up, the play where George or West will post up and George Hill would take a quick screen and get the ball for a free 3point shot from the top of the line etc.

I am not saying it in a negative way and as crunk-juice says maybe there was no need to do that against Orlando.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Zach Lowe just tweeted this.

@ZachLowe_NBA: Pacers seem to have tweaked one aspect of their core pick-and-roll coverage, but might have been a one-game thing. We'll see.

https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/sta...24505545633793
    Nice. I'm good with talking about defensive sets, as well.

I actually remember thinking last night on a pick-and-roll "Is that new?" but I don't recall the actual situation... anybody know what Zach's commenting on here?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I don't know that the sets were particularly different but they were executed pretty well - especially compared to early in the preseason. I was rather happy with their use of screens for a change.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I love when PG or Lance feed to Roy in the post and they run under him to try to create separation for some open lay-ups. If it's not there, then Roy can go to work in the post
    "We want Miami"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I love when PG or Lance feed to Roy in the post and they run under him to try to create separation for some open lay-ups. If it's not there, then Roy can go to work in the post
    Not really new, albeit one of my favorite plays of theirs
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

The only time I have noticed anything that seemed different was that one play they ran like 3 times in a row against the Rockets in which they got 2 open threes for Danny and another open 3 for Hill.

Sports Logo

The Playbook should have 2 plays:

1 ) Get the ball to PG24 and let him go to work.
    2 ) See #1
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The Playbook should have 2 plays:

1 ) Get the ball to PG24 and let him go to work.
    2 ) See #1
    That's a recipe for a failed season. If it's just "give the ball to X and let him work" then why not include, at the very least, Roy and West?

Regardless, the Pacers will be more effective when the guys on the floor are acting as a TEAM. We've got 5 guys that can score, defend, pass, and rebound. Tuning that into a one-man show is a terrible idea.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

That's a recipe for a failed season. If it's just "give the ball to X and let him work" then why not include, at the very least, Roy and West?

Regardless, the Pacers will be more effective when the guys on the floor are acting as a TEAM. We've got 5 guys that can score, defend, pass, and rebound. Tuning that into a one-man show is a terrible idea.
    Agree, PG should be the go to though.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Mood

I have a suspicion he was not being entirely serious fellas

19. The Following User Says Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I was joking......I guess I should have posted that in green.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    I have a suspicion he was not being entirely serious fellas
    Yeah I was thinking along those lines too.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I was joking......I guess I should have posted that in green.
    I demand praise