Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best food in BLF

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Best food in BLF

The Colts can get away with high prices because they are the Colts. Their tickets have been in high demand for a decade, and people are willing to pay high concession prices because of the "big event" status that comes with a Colts game. Since there are only 8 home games a season, many people only go to one a year and therefore justify spending a high amount at the game since it is sort of a "once a year" thing. Plus all of the Colts games are played on Sundays when people are off work (unless its a Monday night obviously, which is actually in more demand because of the big event status that comes with MNF).

OTOH, the Pacers charging such high concession prices over the years is just bad business when you've been as desperate for attendance as the Pacers have in recent years. There are 41 Pacer games, most of which are on weeknights. Only a select few of them have "big event" status. Thus, charging such outlandishly high concession prices is just not smart business when you're begging people to come to games. It's probably not as big of a deal now that the team has turned the corner, but it was a dumb move for all of the dark years in which no one was coming.

Look, I understand charging a lot for beer. If you had $3 beer, then people would be getting absolutely tanked, and you don't want a bunch of drunks in the stands who then get into their cars after the game. But the food prices are just a ripoff.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably not as big of a deal now that the team has turned the corner, but it was a dumb move for all of the dark years in which no one was coming.
    Oddly, I think you made my point with this (and Since86 also has a point when he says "people look for reasons not to go spend their money on things" (emphasis mine).

My point being that concessions are a reason not to go when there is no compelling reason to go. However, we also see that when they offer a deal that takes away some of those reasons (family nights), it doesn't somehow turn into a sellout. Therefore, the compelling reason (no matter what people *say* is the reason) is not the concessions - there just isn't something that draws them to the games so that concessions don't matter. The thing to fix is what actually matters, but unless people come out and say "I just don't like the NBA" or "I just don't care about the games I can get to and can't get tickets for the games I care about" then there's no real fix to be had.

As I recall, at least one of the back-and-forths between Since86 and me was started when an article reported some guy as saying he couldn't take his family of 4 to a game because it would cost him $400. Never minding family night (which would be $160 for tickets plus food for the kids) and really added up parking (call it $10 average), tickets ($200 for $50 seats, not the best but definitely not the worst), gas (call it half a tank at $35, which is a heck of a range even in an SUV), it left the claim that you would have to spend $155 on concessions. That's something like 120 wings, or 60 wings and 15 soft drinks, or 18 Hardees Thickburgers (with fries and soda). To claim that not going to the game was due to the cost being that high was unrealistic. I suspect it was REALLY that:

* Cheap seats aren't in the lower 2 levels
    * Traffic is a pain
    * The kids wouldn't be interested unless (insert national star here) is playing
    * The team wasn't winning
    * etc

Note that, considering to take a family of 4 to a Colts game is close to $400 just for the tickets, and that many of the above issues are the same, why would they choose to spend MORE money to do that? The fix to the problem comes in finding that answer, not in just lowering concession prices. If every child under 12 got a free dog and soda for every game, I would suspect there would still have been a reason not to go - but it would approach being more honest for most people.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD EVEN THE $140 FOR FAMILY NIGHT. We aren't talking about everyone here. We're only talking about the ones for whom spending that money on entertainment is an option.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Agree concession $ doesn't/shouldn't impact decision to attend a game.

Does BLF get a cut of concession profits? Would assume so. Is BLF still operated at a loss to the city? That might be a reason for high prices if so -- trying to make up the deficit on the margins as much as they can. Just a stab in the dark though.

I still think concession pricing is a dumb reason not to attend. Growing up, we would always just grab something in the Circle Center food court before, or something like Spaghetti Factory after (or in the last few years, Kilroy's!) Unless it's a significant time crunch, it seems like a more enjoyable experience to do it this way anyway. You're not eating in the space of an airplane seat, trying to figure out where to put your soda and pretzel and cheese and whatever else. You have time to talk about the game and other stuff, not rushed, etc. My thought was always if I'm committing the effort to go downtown for a game, I might as well enjoy the being downtown part of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

I think paying a couple hundred thousand dollars for a car is stupid, but people do it.
    I think paying a couple hundred for a meal is stupid, but people do it.

Whether we think it's dumb, a cop-out, or whatever is 100% moot because our feelings have absolutely zero impact on other people's feelings.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I think paying a couple hundred thousand dollars for a car is stupid, but people do it.
    I think paying a couple hundred for a meal is stupid, but people do it.

Whether we think it's dumb, a cop-out, or whatever is 100% moot because our feelings have absolutely zero impact on other people's feelings.
    Certainly, I understand what you are saying. But we aren't talking about the people who refuse to pay for concessions at both BLF or LOS. We're talking about the people who would pay at LOS and complain that the (lower) prices at BLF are too high. Clearly, then, the cost of concessions is not the primary reason they don't go. There is some other reason they don't go and the cost of concessions is something easy to say. Just like when the excuse was "ticket prices are too high" - the REAL answer is that "ticket prices are too high for the seat I want to have", which sounds the same but has an entirely different solution (in the first case, lower prices somewhere in the arena. In the second case, find out what it is that makes a seat "want to have" and increase the value of the cheaper seats - say, by putting an ultra high-definition center court scoreboard.)

A tighter example would be to take that guy saying concessions are too expensive. Do you still get him by making kid food cheaper? I would say no, since those people aren't jumping all over themselves to get what is basically a kids' meal for free on Family Night. I would bet, though with no way to prove it, that the kids' food prices would be acceptable if certain adult food prices came down, particularly those of the liquid variety. If mama could get cheap wine, betcha they'd be there.

That's why I pursue the argument so much. A fairly pat answer like "the concessions cost too much" - while objectively true compared to food outside the arena - can't be the be-all and end-all reason because a valid counterexample exists for the Colts, who sell out in spite of crazy expensive food. To come up with a solution, you have to find the real answer, not just the one that rolls off the tongue the easiest. In all reality, the answer might be "I don't like basketball as much as football", which is a hard answer to hear but a much better point of attack than an answer like "the concessions are too expensive" which even if fixed would just lead to the next reason on the list.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It's a losing game to try and compare the NBA to the NFL, for a number of reasons. The Colts have to turn potential ticket buyers away, while the Pacers have been in the position of begging. When you're on top, and people are fighting to get in the door, you can charge what you'd like. When you're place is empty, and you have to try and convince people to come, you can't. It's simple supply vs demand economics.

It would be like your local band trying to charge people $100 tickets, just because they saw how much Kenny Chesney charged for his tickets.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's a losing game to try and compare the NBA to the NFL, for a number of reasons. The Colts have to turn potential ticket buyers away, while the Pacers have been in the position of begging. When you're on top, and people are fighting to get in the door, you can charge what you'd like. When you're place is empty, and you have to try and convince people to come, you can't. It's simple supply vs demand economics.

It would be like your local band trying to charge people $100 tickets, just because they saw how much Kenny Chesney charged for his tickets.
    So here's the question. In the JOB years, if concessions were free, would the Pacers have sold out? During the brawl aftermath years, would free concessions have caused parents to bring their kids to see the team? Why don't Lucas Oil Family Nights sell out (I believe there is no overall limitation on Family Night tickets, and if there is I've never seen any kind of announcement that the Family Night tickets are sold out)?

I'm not saying that cost of concessions might not be a factor for someone on the fence about going. I'm saying that it is A factor, not THE factor for attendance. Saying "We don't go to the games because the concessions cost too much" isn't really what they mean. What they mean is "We don't go to games because there's no compelling reason to do so, and concessions cost to much for us to just show up."

The problem with your comparison is it is much more like the Pacers trying to charge the same for nosebleed tickets that the Knicks or Lakers charge - in other words, overvaluing the PRODUCT itself. You're saying that everything about the product is sellable and the only thing keeping people away is the cost of an option. When trying to increase sales, making the option more desirable is much less efficient than making the product more desirable - and having a really cool option very seldom sells a product someone doesn't want.

All that said, and going b ack to the original point that took us back down the rabbit hole, I think the concession prices - particularly for repeat attendees like package holders - are too high. That doesn't mean I'd stop going - I'd just stop eating there.
    BillS

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I don't think concession prices are the reason people don't go, I think it's a combination between both quality of product and pricing. When your product is good, over pricing is tolerable. When you're product is bad, overpricing isn't tolerable. I do however think that when you're quality of product is bad, lowering your prices will help get people in the door. Of course it won't fill the place, but it doesn't automatically alienate potential consumers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think when I was at the Colts/Seahawks game a Coke (w/collectible cup) was I think $5, and the personal pizza I had was 8. I had two Cokes and that pizza. Spent under $20 for myself. I find that reasonable.

IU Athletics has really good pricing on their concessions. $4.50 for a Coke in a collectible cup, $3 for a box of popcorn and $6 for a Papa John's personal pizza.

Mood

Concession prices are not a large factor in whether I go to an event or not. However, they are a HUGE factor on whether I purchase concessions at the event, and can affect my overall perception of my enjoyment, therefore influencing if I attend another event at that venue.

Mood

MAIN CONCOURSE
    Sec. 2 Market To Go Salads, Deli Sandwiches, Fruit & Veggie Cups
    Sec. 3 Mr Smoothie Smoothies and Pretzels
    Sec. 8 Gluten Free Cart Gluten Free Hot Dogs and Snacks
    Sec. 11 Hardee’s Burgers and Chicken
    Sec. 11 We Pop It You Top It Popcorn
    IMS PAVILION
    Sec. 4 All A Brat You Brats, Italian, and Footlongs
    Sec. 4 Dippin' Dots Cart Ice Cream
    Sec. 5 Fuzzy's Garage Bar
    Sec. 5 IMS Combo Grill and Pizza
    Sec. 6 Red Burrito Mexican
    Sec. 6 Sno Zone Cotton Candy, Sno Cones
    Sec. 6 Bottoms Up Draft Beer
    INDIANAPOLIS STAR PAVILION
    Sec. 13 Fuzzy's 19th Hole Bar
    Sec. 14 BBQ Alley BBQ Pork, Chicken, Brisket and our one of a kind BBQ Parfait
    Sec. 14 Mr. Smoothie Smoothies and Pretzels
    Sec. 15 Star Combo Grill, Pizza, and Wings
    Sec. 16 Indiana Brew Bar
    Sec. 16 Sweeties Cupcakes, Cookies and Brownies
    Sec. 17 Edy's Ice Cream
    Sec. 17 Sno Zone Cotton Candy, Sno Cones
    Sec. 18 Sun King Sun King Beer
    Sec. 19 Coors Light Silver Bucket Sit down bar
    Sec. 19 Coors Light Beer Wagon Beer
    UPPER CONCOURSE
    Sec. 202 Edy's Ice Cream
    Sec. 204 Beer Portable Beer
    Sec. 212 We Pop It You Top It Popcorn
    Sec. 213 Mr. Smoothie Smoothies and Pretzels
    Sec. 215 Fast Break Brats & Hot Dogs
    Sec. 216 Bud Zone Brats & Full Service Bar
    Sec. 217 Fast Break Nacho Stand
    Sec. 225 Dippin' Dots Cart Ice Cream
    Sec. 228 Beer Portable Beer
    Sec. 231 Fast Break Nacho Stand
    FINISHLINE PAVILION
    Sec. 207 Beer Portable Beer
    Sec. 208 Finish Line Combo Grill and Pizza
    PACERS PAVILION
    Sec. 223 Sno Zone Cotton Candy & Sno Zone
    Sec. 224 Sun King & Sausage Brats, Sausages and Beer
    Sec. 225 Pacers Combo Grill and Pizza
    Sec. 229 Mr. Smoothie Smoothies and Pretzels
    KRIEG DeVAULT CLUB LEVEL
    Sec. 103 Blue Flame Grill Stand
    Sec. 109 Club Bar 109 Portable Bar
    Sec. 110 Mel & Herbs Deli
    Sec. 111 Club Bar 111 Portable Bar
    Sec. 118 Score Amore Italian, Pizza

Here's a list I found of the food and beer joints. I'm not sure how accurate this still is.

It's kind of sad that we have to use the pricing of beer as a way to keep people from not becoming drunken idiots.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's kind of sad that we have to use the pricing of beer as a way to keep people from not becoming drunken idiots.
    I don't think that's the reasoning.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I don't think that's the reasoning.
    I bet they could make a similar amount of money if they lowed the beer price because it would mean that quite a few people would buy a lot more. But that would also mean that people would be getting sauced in the stands. Not that plenty of people don't already as it is, but it would definitely increase the number, IMHO.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I bet they could make a similar amount of money if they lowed the beer price because it would mean that quite a few people would buy a lot more. But that would also mean that people would be getting sauced in the stands. Not that plenty of people don't already as it is, but it would definitely increase the number, IMHO.
    I'm sure that's true, but the same argument about making more money by selling more would work for just about every food item and without the "but they'll do too much" caveat. Someone wanting to get clobbered at the game can do so now. I'd still buy 3 beers a game whether the prices were lowered or not. I don't think either one of those numbers would change much by dropping the cost of the premium beer closer to the cost of a Bud (for instance).
    BillS

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I wonder if they have toyed with the idea of a frequent attendance card or something along those lines. Come to X amount of games a year and get 20% off concessions every game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I wonder if they have toyed with the idea of a frequent attendance card or something along those lines. Come to X amount of games a year and get 20% off concessions every game.
    I've also suggested that as a STH perk. I think the state wouldn't allow that to be used for alcohol, but even 20% off a burger would be awfully nice.
    BillS

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I, admittedly, don't pay much attention to the prices at either Banker's Life Fieldhouse or Lucas Oil Stadium but my initial thought is that concession pricing was pretty much the same for both venues. Is the beer(s) I buy Wednesday during the Pacers/Bulls game that much cheaper than the beer(s) I buy Sunday during the Colts/Rams game?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Agreed, I went to a Colts game this year and got a hot dog, popcorn, and soda for $10 as a package. Not a deal, but not absolutely god awful either.

AT BLF, you can get a souvenir re-fillable soda for like $6.50.

The prices are bad, but I've seen worse. If it's that big of a deal, just eat before the game. There's plenty of places that are quick and easy right around BLF.

Sports Logo

Yeah....they should just do it the old fashioned way....water down the beer and then charge the same price for it.

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I always take my Wife and Daughter to my annual Pacers game out here in the SF Bay Area when they play the Warriors. Given that she has ZERO interest in watching a Basketball game....much less the Pacers...the only way that I am able to drag her along is because she likes to eat the concession food at the Oracle Arena. Yeah, I know....I can probably go to a REALLY nice restaurant with her and get a nice dinner for the same amount of $$$ spent at the Arena for food for the entire family. But I admit that part of the draw for her ( other than the fact that I am dragging her to the game ) is just the food itself....cuz clearly, she could care less about the Pacers .
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I like my beer as much as the next fool, but I very rarely drink beer at the Fieldhouse because I start thinking of the 6-pack of tall boys I can pick-up after the game for about the same price as one!
    ...and don't forget, "Tipper.... Ehhhhh!"
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74