Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One Random Thoughts

Hybrid View

Mood

Default Xbox One Random Thoughts

I've chosen to go with the Xbox One rather than the PS4, and I was reading this last night and got kind of bummed out:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ce-off-preview

Of course, I've since learned that Modern Warfare 2 on 360 was only at 600p:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...00p-only/News/

And I never recall having gripes with how that game looked, so I'm not sure if I really care so much now. I'm more concerned about qualities/details within the game being different rather than screen resolution, and if there's a gap there now, hopefully with this cloud computing Microsoft has been talking about they can use that in future years to narrow the gap.

I'll be honest, though, it still does take some wind out of my sales wondering why Microsoft didn't go ahead with better hardware on a box they plan to have us playing on for 7+ years.

*edit* Before now, I hadn't been able to watch the YouTube video. It's not as bad as I feared. I think the PS4 looks better, but it's not like the XB1 looks like *** or anything remotely close to that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Xbox One Random Thoughts

I am very much on the fence with PS4 vs. Xbox One. I have had Xbox since they came out with the first one, I love the controllers, the Playstation controllers I've never liked as much for whatever reason. Someone sway me with way or the other here. Leaning right now towards PS4.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

If you've liked Xbox and Xbox 360, I don't see why you would jump now.

In my case, I've gone from more of hard core gamer to more of a casual one, so my above concern isn't enough to make me jump ship, plus the XB1 is going to unify/simply my living room pretty nicely. Right now I use another device as my preferred one for Netflix (because the noise of my white 360 annoys me when I'm trying to enjoy a video, but XB1 is supposed to be very quiet), I have a standalone bluray player, and I like that I can feed my TV output into the XB1 so I don't have to switch settings to watch that, either. Hell, I'll be able to watch my League Pass Broadband subscription on it, too. That media unification is very attractive for me. The only missing link is it obviously isn't going to let me use my iPad/iPhone to airplay things to it like I can with my Apple TV. If it did, it would be perfect. And I'm very comfortable/satisfied with my Xbox Live experience regarding gaming and communicating, so I'm not looking to bail to PS4 for online play purposes, either.

I think the PS4 looks really good, but for me XB1 is more attractive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I'm on the fence as well, but only because I have the Xbox and Xbox 360.

What I'm tired of is losing out on exclusive games like Beyond 2 Souls, Heavy Rain, MLB The Show and The Last of Us.

What the ***** does Xbox have???? Seriously, tell me? They don't have better exclusives.

And I sure as hell don't care about being able to control my cable tv from the Xbox that will probably use a lot of power. That's just dumb. Also, at least with PS3, you can use Netflix without having to have their paid membership. You can't do that with the 360. That's pretty damn irritating if you ask me about Microsoft.

But I want to wait a bit and see what exclusives are coming out for each system, and what my friends end up getting will be my deciding factors. So I'll wait for now. Probably make up my mind by August of next year.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm on the fence as well, but only because I have the Xbox and Xbox 360.

What I'm tired of is losing out on exclusive games like Beyond 2 Souls, Heavy Rain, MLB The Show and The Last of Us.

What the ***** does Xbox have???? Seriously, tell me? They don't have better exclusives.
    Every once in a while there's an exclusive title that I feel like I'm missing out on, but in my case it's just not enough for me to buy both or to switch. Maybe if I had a lot of extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, but I don't.

And I sure as hell don't care about being able to control my cable tv from the Xbox that will probably use a lot of power. That's just dumb.
    Fair enough that you don't care about the TV integration, but the part about it using a lot of power just doesn't make any sense at all. Both the TV box and the XB1 are going to use the same amount of power whether you are filtering the A/V through the Xbox one or not. It doesn't require any extra power to do it.

Also, at least with PS3, you can use Netflix without having to have their paid membership. You can't do that with the 360. That's pretty damn irritating if you ask me about Microsoft.
    I would find that irritating if I wasn't already committed to paying for Xbox live. But I was always going to do that anyway.

Mood

I've also decided I'm going to buy my games digitally. I raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarely share my discs these days, so I'm not worried about losing that ability, and I'll love having my most-played games all fully loaded on the hard drive and ready to go at a moment's notice, too. I'm excited about that after decades of cartridges and discs. I never had any really big hard disks for my 360, so this will be my first time buying a game this way; I can't wait.

Speaking of games, after the price of admission for XB1, I'm not going to be getting many right away, but right now the plan is:

Definitely getting NBA 2K14. Probably getting (of all things) Lego Marvel so I can have something new/fun to play with my nephew, and I'm thinking I might get one more, and that will likely be COD Ghosts. A little further down the road, I'm really interested in Titanfall, and I'm curious about Destiny.

Dream Big

Buy 2 get 1 free on next gen titles at Target - November 10 through 16

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...s4-launch-week

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am actually not jumping head first into this generation because of worries about the hardware and neither one of the consoles having games that make me really go wow I want to plunk down 500+ for games, accessories, and consoles. I have plenty of backlog to through before I jump into the new gen.

The media unification has me really intrigued and I have loved my xbox and 360 so I am leaning towards the X1, but if the PS4 can really nail some hardcore exclusives I could see me switching.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'll mention this, too: I'm really looking forward to the end of November when it comes to watching Pacers games on TV; with my new setup, it'll be a breeze to hop back over to play a game during commercial breaks. It's not that it's impossible to do that with my current setup, but it's much more tedious and with longer delays to switch from one to the other, enough so that I never bother to even try unless it's halftime.

But soon, I'll be able to immediately resume my paused game in just a few seconds, and if I want to keep one eye on the screen to make sure I don't miss anything, I'm 90% sure that I can keep my TV video open in a side bar while I game so I know when to pause it again and bring the game back to full screen. I'm going to love that!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've already got my PS4 locked up. Never really been an Xbox fan. Sony's exclusives and "free" PSN win out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I've already got my PS4 locked up. Never really been an Xbox fan. Sony's exclusives and "free" PSN win out for me.
    So explain this to me, or at least tell me if I understand it correctly: Xbox Live is a paid membership. You can't have access to everything online and all that unless you have Xbox Live. Playstation's similar network setup is totally free?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was all free up until the PS4. My impression is that they will now require a PS Plus membership for online play. The nice thing about the PS Plus membership is that it comes with a ton of free game downloads. I don't play enough to subscribe but I usually keep track of the free offers, and they usually have some really nice downloads on there. Usually a couple of "A listers" every year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopia For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

I want the PS4 because of the price and because I trust their graphics will yet again blow the Xbox's out of the water.

Right now XBOX might close the gap for exclusives this next gen. TitanFall by itself might do it. That game looks insane.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I am a pretty (very?) casul gamer. I usually only buy 4-5 games a year (NCAA Football, Assassin's Creed, Batman game, whatever Rock Star game, and then usually one more that gets some hype), don't play them online, don't use my Xbox for Netflix or anything like that. Honestly my main issue with Playstation has been the controller. If I am that casual of a gamer, is there really any good reason to switch?

Mood

Only if the graphics difference means a lot to you. Basically the Xbox One graphics look like an A- to the PS4's A+. But that's going to vary from game to game, and overtime I think both will look even better than they already do as well when the systems are more mature and developers know how to squeeze every last drop from them.

Or if you really hate having to pay $100 more for the Kinect.

For me, the graphics being different bothers me, but not enough to switch. And I'm actually looking forward to having the kinect because I never got one for the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Only if the graphics difference means a lot to you. Basically the Xbox One graphics look like an A- to the PS4's A+. But that's going to vary from game to game, and overtime I think both will look even better than they already do as well when the systems are more mature and developers know how to squeeze every last drop from them.

Or if you really hate having to pay $100 more for the Kinect.

For me, the graphics being different bothers me, but not enough to switch. And I'm actually looking forward to having the kinect because I never got one for the 360.
    I don't give the slightest crap about the Kinect, so paying the extra $100 for it doesn't excite me a great deal. I'm not one of those people who would likely be able to point out the graphics differences between 720 and 1080 (or even care), so that doesn't mean a great deal to me either. I'll wait and see I guess.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't give the slightest crap about the Kinect, so paying the extra $100 for it doesn't excite me a great deal. I'm not one of those people who would likely be able to point out the graphics differences between 720 and 1080 (or even care), so that doesn't mean a great deal to me either. I'll wait and see I guess.
    To clarify on the Kinect, I'm not interested in the games that have you hopping around your living room and whatnot. I'm just intrigued because of the higher quality cameras/sensors and the built-in microphone's ability to pretty quickly recognize voice commands (apparently the first kinect had some lag to it). I plan to take advantage of that to move around the Xbox's software quickly.

Between voice commands and I believe you can also use your hands in air to manipulate the home screen and split screens, too, it should be pretty neat in that regard if nothing else; I'm thinking mainly of multitasking and quickly switching from one thing to another (hop back and forth between two games, or between a game and TV or a movie, etc.).

And since the voice recognition is so much faster, plus now that developers know every single owner of the system has one and will probably take developing for it seriously now, we might actually start seeing some pretty fun or innovative new features that integrate the kinect to mainstream titles.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

The PS4 being $100 cheaper and slightly more powerful does intrigue me, but it's mostly the money, and not the graphics being a tad bit better.

That being said, I'm going to go with Xbox One because I've been primarily playing Xbox since 2004. I'd love to have both, but if I have to make a choice it's going to be Xbox One.

I have enjoyed Xbox Live and think it is a great deal, and also the controller is the best controller out right now. I'm also still a sucker for the Halo franchise, even though Bungie is no longer involved. (I didn't think Halo 4 was that bad)

But yeah, if you don't have a Gold membership, the apps like Hulu Plus and Netflix don't work. But, I don't plan on not having Xbox Live Gold anytime soon.

PS Network used to be free, but they eventually upgraded to a Plus service, for about the same price as Xbox Live and I believe it gave benefits to members over the free version. Basically like Xbox Live Gold and Silver.

You'll probably need PS Plus to get the most out of your PS4 experience, would be my guess.

Here is my question, though, I haven't preordered it and if I don't, I believe I'll be ****ed, right?

I'm wondering how long they will be sold out of them. Or will they be prepared and have tons ready to ship.

To the people who are wondering about the launch version of Xbox One having bugs and glitches, and not wanting to pony down for a system to brick a year after you've had it, I don't think we'll see something like Red Ring of Death like we did with 360, I at least hope not.

I'm sure there will be minor bugs and whatnot, but nothing that can't be fixed with an update. I think Microsoft probably learned their lesson from the 360. RROD was such a *****.

I just hope that since I may not be getting one on launch night that I would be able to get one for Christmas or before. But, it's probably going to be a hot sell and that may not be realistic.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

I'm sure there will be plenty before Christmas. I pre-ordered on Amazon months ago, so mine should be delivered on release day sometime that afternoon/evening.

Went ahead and got a play & charge kit for the controller and then a second controller that comes with another P&C kit so my nephew can play with me. Already feeling a little woozy at the $$$$$$$ about to leave my wallet, and that's without buying the games yet! Ugh. Well, at least I only have 2 or 3 in mind right now.

Just looked on Gamestop.com and looks like they have consoles you can preorder. Didn't say anything about them being currently out of stock.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Those 3 games are going to be $180 without tax....

I didn't know the wireless controllers with PAC kits were $75

Don't forget you'll need a $25 mic as well......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Mood

I'm gonna stick with just one mic at this point. He's only seven, so we're most likely only going to be playing arcade games and Lego Marvel for the time being.

Also, I don't expect we'll see anything like the shortage that occurred at 360 release. I expect it to be like any big game release you'll be able to walk in and buy one the next day if you want.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Just watch the new TitanFall trailer on your 360. It will make your decision easy.