Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Pacers talk

Banned

Default Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Pacers talk

Default Re: Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Pacers talk

Normally I like the Bill and Jalen series, but this was a really sad effort.

Stop watching when Bill mentioned trading Granger.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stop watching when Bill mentioned trading Granger.
    Because that idea is so ridiculous...?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Not ridiculous in theory, but pretty impractical in reality. I doubt teams are lining up to get him, and odds are we'd have to take on some longer contract if we traded him. The last thing we need to do right now is take on another long sizable contract. PG/Hibbert/Hill/West are all making bank, and Lance needs to be re-signed this off-season. At this point, odds are that the best thing for the Pacers is to just let the contract expire. The time to trade Granger would have been a couple years ago when you could have got something for him. That ship has sailed. Maybe there is a team out there who would be interested in the expiring contract, but odds are that any trade would involve the Pacers taking on some longer salary.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yes. We can't afford the contracts it would take to trade Granger.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I enjoyed every bit and think they was spot on and gave tons of respect to the Pacers.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

I got the sense that they like what the Pacers have done to prepare for the season, but Simmons was way too preoccupied with fitting as many Larry Bird references into the segment as possible. They spent more time talking about Larry Bird clips than doing actually analysis, which is very disappointing.
    Never half-a** two things. Whole-a** one thing.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompACE For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate that little tool.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    I got the sense that they like what the Pacers have done to prepare for the season, but Simmons was way too preoccupied with fitting as many Larry Bird references into the segment as possible. They spent more time talking about Larry Bird clips than doing actually analysis, which is very disappointing.
    They did as much analysis as they did to with the other teams. The Larry Bird clips gave us a longer preview than any other team they did. lol

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

was this about the Pacers or Larry Bird I cant figure it out...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesUncle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Not ridiculous in theory, but pretty impractical in reality. I doubt teams are lining up to get him, and odds are we'd have to take on some longer contract if we traded him. The last thing we need to do right now is take on another long sizable contract. PG/Hibbert/Hill/West are all making bank, and Lance needs to be re-signed this off-season. At this point, odds are that the best thing for the Pacers is to just let the contract expire. The time to trade Granger would have been a couple years ago when you could have got something for him. That ship has sailed. Maybe there is a team out there who would be interested in the expiring contract, but odds are that any trade would involve the Pacers taking on some longer salary.
    This is one of the main reasons why i doubt he will be traded.....mainly because it will be VERY HARD to match salaries. IMHO....Bird will try to include Mahinmi in any trade involving Granger ( to shed his 2014-2015 salary )...which means that the Pacers have to get back roughly $18 mil in expiring contracts.....and near impossible to do.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

the idea is not ridiculous......its that it's unlikely due to the difficulty in matching salaries.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I love the Bird clips. It's awesome that we have an NBA legend running our franchise. I could watch old Bird clips all day.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    the idea is not ridiculous......its that it's unlikely due to the difficulty in matching salaries.
    You don't trade expirings for more expirings.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Exactly. The only reason any team would want Granger is because he's an expiring contract. Well if they want him for his expiring contract, that would mean that they would be trying to dump longer salaries on us, otherwise there would be no point in doing a trade. We can't afford to be adding more contracts beyond this season.

The chances of DG getting traded are near 0%.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Exactly. The only reason any team would want Granger is because he's an expiring contract. Well if they want him for his expiring contract, that would mean that they would be trying to dump longer salaries on us, otherwise there would be no point in doing a trade. We can't afford to be adding more contracts beyond this season.

Their logic was that the Pacers are one player away, and if Granger isn't that player anymore, then they have a chance to trade him for a player that can.

They absolutely had better consider doing it. I can't imagine the shitstorm it would cause if it gets out they had a chance to land a guy like Jamal Crawford but turned it down because they would rather take their chances and stay under the luxury tax.

There's a point where as an ownership group, if you're that close to a championship, you bite the bullet.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-26-2013 at 02:24 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I honestly don't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't say the odds are that low. I'd put it somewhere around 20-25%.

My point with that original statement is that the notion of trading Granger isn't exactly a ridiculous statement--it's not like Simmons said that if we start bad we need to blow it up and trade Paul George or anything. The notion of trading Granger has been around for awhile now and especially with the emergence of PG. I don't think it will happen for a number of different reasons, but I think it's certainly possible.

Sports Logo

You can if u are trying to shed additional long term salaries...especially if the players traded are servicable assets that can help any Playoff team.

There r only 2 scenarios that I see the Pacers trading Granger:

The Pacers won't IMHO trade Granger unless they can get cheap long term assets on a rookie contract back....or dump Mahinmi to try to clear enough 2014-2015 capspace to give them more breathing room to re-sign Lance.

IMHO...neither will likely happen because it will be difficult to match salaries and because I think that the Pacers value him too much.
    Last edited by CableKC; 10-26-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The Pacers won't IMHO trade Granger unless they can get cheap long term assets on a rookie contract back....or dump Mahinmi to try to clear enough 2014-2015 capspace to give them more breathing room to re-sign Lance.
    They don't need cap space to re-sign their own guy.

If you're saying they won't touch the LT, even under the circumstance that would allow them to possibly get a difference-maker in them winning a championship, that's another story entirely. I'd have a major problem with that, but it's not my team.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-26-2013 at 02:31 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

If you're saying they won't touch the LT, even under the circumstance that would allow them to possibly get a difference-maker in them winning a championship, that's another story entirely. I'd have a major problem with that, but it's not my team.
    They have made it abundantly clear that they consider the luxury tax a hard ceiling. They won't go into it. Bird has said it's not an option for them.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

They have made it abundantly clear that they consider the luxury tax a hard ceiling. They won't go into it. Bird has said it's not an option for them.
    If you watched the previous episodes, Bill and Jalen are treating it like any NBA owner making the type of bank that they make should be able to afford spending a little more for a championship. They wrecked the OKC thunder a few episodes back because in all honesty if they're that poor that they'd basically give away a top-10 player to stay under the LT, then they shouldn't be owning an NBA team.

Again, not my team, but I have to believe if Granger is an empty uniform and they have a chance to add just enough firepower to be a difference against Miami, it makes no sense not to do it, even from a financial standpoint.

Sports Logo

I'm not suggesting that we could get a difference maker in such a trade....my whole point is that such a move would be done for financial reasons if Mahinmi were to be included.

I agree... I can totally see Bird thinking to himself that he is going "All In" with Granger and Mahinmi and then gambling that the Pacers will be able to figure out a way to re-sign Lance while staying under the LT and/or going slightly over the LT. Especially if Granger is oft-injured and it looks like some combination of OJ/Solo/Copeland can adequately cover the wing rotation....it would surprise me if Bird didn't try to trade Granger for some long term assets OR try to dump Mahinimi to try to clear long term capspace. IMHO....the possibility of losing both Granger ( which IMHO is a foregone conclusion ) and Lance is 50/50 given how much PG24 was re-signed for. Trying to clear long term salary while using Granger as trade bait is not unreasonable IMHO.....but unlikely for the reasons I mention.

If you watched the previous episodes, Bill and Jalen are treating it like any NBA owner making the type of bank that they make should be able to afford spending a little more for a championship. They wrecked the OKC thunder a few episodes back because in all honesty if they're that poor that they'd basically give away a top-10 player to stay under the LT, then they shouldn't be owning an NBA team.

Again, not my team, but I have to believe if Granger is an empty uniform and they have a chance to add just enough firepower to be a difference against Miami, it makes no sense not to do it, even from a financial standpoint.
    I watched the first 5 or so minutes of their initial series, and didn't enjoy it, so I haven't watched/listened to any more of them.

I don't know we were so close last year and they upgraded the bench even if Granger is an empty jersey so they may think they can handle Miami (although I fear Chicago more than the Heat--just matchup wise and their ability to negate our home court). Small market teams can't do it. Bird's made it clear, ownership has made it clear, so I'm not even considering it a possibility.

I watched the first 5 or so minutes of their initial series, and didn't enjoy it, so I haven't watched/listened to any more of them.

I don't know we were so close last year and they upgraded the bench even if Granger is an empty jersey so they may think they can handle Miami (although I fear Chicago more than the Heat--just matchup wise and their ability to negate our home court). Small market teams can't do it. Bird's made it clear, ownership has made it clear, so I'm not even considering it a possibility.
    I'll put it this way: I agree with them that Indiana (minus Granger) is one player away from being better than Miami. If Granger is that guy, then the problem solves itself. But if not, they're going to really regret it if they don't move him for one more guy and lose to Miami again, and as an NBA fan I'll be disappointed.

Bill Davidson had the same edict. Never go into the LT under any circumstances....except for that one year where we had a shot at a championship with a mid-season trade, and he forgot he ever said it.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: