Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Granger out for three weeks

Default Re: Granger out for three weeks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, you are saying that it's only interchangeable on offense? Didn't catch that before now.
    It's interchangeable on defense too. (as all positions essentially are) You just go with the best matchups..

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Well, I trust the team more than that. I believe that they can win away from Indiana. Because if our team is unable to advance if we don't have homecourt then we will never win a series against the Bulls. They have the homecourt advantage even when the game is in Indiana..
    Are you saying it's just as easy to win at the United Center? Come on.

So, you are saying that it's only interchangeable on offense? Didn't catch that before now.
    Well obviously the wing positions are interchangeable on defense. Paul George guards the better offensive player, whether that guy is a 2 or a 3. Lance/Danny guards the other one.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It's interchangeable on defense too. (as all positions essentially are) You just go with the best matchups..
    Not sure why Anthem stressed offense then. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    ?

Did you think I was putting Granger down? I was only pointing out that his figures from one game gave me more hope than what Hicks noticed from a different game. I don't get the "trend" remark at all.
    So far those who are arguing against Danny are the ones who didn't watch the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Well obviously the wing positions are interchangeable on defense. Paul George guards the better offensive player, whether that guy is a 2 or a 3. Lance/Danny guards the other one.
    Aren't you actually saying that Paul George happens to be capable of guarding either position. IOW, Paul George is interchangeable.

I certainly don't think if you had two Danny Grangers, even though both are wings, that either one of them could even guard DWade.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    So far those who are arguing against Danny are the ones who didn't watch the preseason.
    And the preseason matters? DRose had a great one too. Look at him now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Well it sucks that the matchups are usually Lebron/Wade, JJ/Pierce and Deng/Butler, so we need to make Hill guard some 2's like Wade because Danny has to start no matter what, not an smart thing to do.

Sports Logo

But don't put him in the game with the game on the line...
    If this is what you mean by "relying on Granger" then you shouldn't disagree with my posts on this issue.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

This is something that is a pet peeve with me. For some reason in the NBA we are not honest about what position players play. In the NBA if you play 5 PGs one of them must be considered the C, one must be the PF, etc. That just isn't reality. If you play West and Scola together you are playing two PFs at the same time, West doesn't magically turn into the C. When Lance and OJ play together you are playing two SGs. Lance doesn't suddenly become a SF. College has this right, when a team is playing 3 guards and 2 forwards they don't pretend one of those guards is a SF and one of those forwards is a C. On offense you play in a way to take advantage of the players skills you have out there, not to what "position" each player is play, and likewise on defense you defend based on what is the best match-up for your team not based on what "position" everyone plays.

Aren't you actually saying that Paul George happens to be capable of guarding either position. IOW, Paul George is interchangeable.

I certainly don't think if you had two Danny Grangers, even though both are wings, that either one of them could even guard DWade.
    Certainly. Defense is about matchups, no matter who the coach is. Paul's great for matchups because he can guard the 1, 2, or 3.

But in Vogel's offensive system, there's no difference between the 2 and 3. It's just "wing." PG, Lance, and Danny all play "wing."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Are you saying it's just as easy to win at the United Center? Come on.
    No. I'm just saying that when the Bulls come to town BLF tends to become United Center East.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Certainly. Defense is about matchups, and Paul matches up with the 1, 2, or 3.

But in Vogel's offensive system, there's no difference between the 2 and 3. It's just "wing." PG, Lance, and Danny all play "wing."
    But at some point, "wing" becomes a real person who needs to guard DWade. How is Granger going to do that if the position is interchangeable? We are just lucky we have another SF who can guard anyone.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The results do not matter. How a player looks on the floor matters a bit.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

No. I'm just saying that when the Bulls come to town BLF tends to become United Center East.
    So, you are saying home court even with the Bulls matters...since you said no.

The results do not matter. How a player looks on the floor matters a bit.
    DRose looked great. He's killing the Bulls right now and it could get worse.

I'm just going in circles with you. So you know what I'm done with you. If you actually brought intelligent arguments you might actually bring something worth while to this board.

Sports Logo

So, you are saying home court even with the Bulls matters...since you said no.
    No. I'm saying that with the Bulls we will not have home court even if we are the higher seed.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

DRose looked great. He's killing the Bulls right now and it could get worse.
    DRose was icing his knees in the sidelines when he got benched every single time.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

No. I'm saying that with the Bulls we will not have home court even if we are the higher seed.
    Look at post 287. You disagreed with the statement that it's just as easy to win at the United Center.

If they have home court, that means they will more easily beat us.

DRose was icing his knees in the sidelines when he got benched every single time.
    Paul George was icing his right shoulder after the last game. Icing is fairly typical.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

But at some point, "wing" becomes a real person who needs to guard DWade. How is Granger going to do that if the position is interchangeable? We are just lucky we have another SF who can guard anyone.
    If the only question you're asking is "What happens when Danny/Paul play against LeBron/Wade" then my answer is "I don't know, we'll have to find out." Last time that combo played against Miami, Danny/Paul had decent success at guarding Miami's wings. We chose to shut down Wade with Paul George and let Danny guard LeBron, even though LeBron scores slightly more on Danny than on Paul. We won the games where Paul kept Wade under control and lost the games where he didn't.

If Wade loses another step, it might be possible to guard him with Danny. I haven't seen Miami play yet this year, so I can't say. Regardless, all I'm saying is the conversation about Danny "pushing Paul George to the 2" is off. On offense, they're interchangeable. And on defense, Paul George has always guarded the best wing player, both last year (when Danny was out) and the year before (when they played together).

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Anthem - I fully agree with that. I just don't agree with people attempting to claim that a wing is a wing is a wing.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So we're down to "Danny should only play in garbage time" and that we have to go 82-0 to get home court. O. K.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Anthem - I fully agree with that. I just don't agree with people attempting to claim that a wing is a wing is a wing.
    But I'm the one saying a wing is a wing is a wing.

But I'm not saying any wing player is interchangeable with any other wing player, and neither is anybody on here, nor is Vogel. All I'm saying is that there's no difference between the 2 and the 3 in our offense, and on defense Paul's gonna guard the better player anyway. So Paul George isn't actually "playing out of position" when he's on the court with Danny.

Enjoy your time at PD!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: