Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

  1. #26

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby Mac,

    With all due respect, it is not the beat writer's job to "support the team". In fact, a writer that takes that approach is not doing his/her job properly. Objectivity is an essential component in good day to day coverage of a beat.

    And, for what it's worth, I consider Mike Wells to be the best Pacer beat writer that the Star has had in my years here.

    MJB
    I suspect you and Bobby Mac define "support the team" differently. You can support the team by getting to know the players and writing interesting articles. Buckner seems to be doing that. So far she's been a breath of fresh air. Helping the community get to know the players does "support the team". She has access that we don't. It didn't seem like Wells had that kind of access.

    I've read the Star beat writers since the 70's. Wells isn't near the top of my list. He was honest (and repetitive) in his opinions. But he was far from objective.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buckner has done a nice job thus far. Of course, it is a bit easier to write about a top 5 NBA team coming off an ECF appearance, whereas Wells wrote primarily during the down years.
    Good point. I hadn't considered that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #28

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Strummer,

    Valid point. It was not my intent to denigrate Candace - she has yet to prove herelf, and it would be unfair to be critical at this early juncture - but I am a big Mike Wells fan. I can tell you this: he knew the team inside and out and had great access and contacts within the locker room.

    MJB

  5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,214
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    I disagree, It is not the beat writers job to try to create controversy but rather to report about the team. The star has for a number of years been more interested in sensational, negative reporting rather than showing our teams and indeed the whole city in a positive light. This does not mean covering up problems, rather it means that that they should not go out of their way to paint the teams (or city) in a negative light.

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby Mac,

    With all due respect, it is not the beat writer's job to "support the team". In fact, a writer that takes that approach is not doing his/her job properly. Objectivity is an essential component in good day to day coverage of a beat.

    And, for what it's worth, I consider Mike Wells to be the best Pacer beat writer that the Star has had in my years here.

    MJB

  7. #30
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    895

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he was just temporary. Didn't seem to know the team all that well.
    Yeah that was a really awkward offseason. He didn't seem to be interested in the team and only reported well after everything was confirmed by other sources.

  8. #31

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Bobby Mac,

    I understand your point, though I completely disagree with your view of the way the Star has portrayed the team. But we could go around in circles forever on that.

    MJB

  9. #32
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,214
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Mark, Indeed we could, let's agree to disagree. Go Pacers!

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby Mac,

    I understand your point, though I completely disagree with your view of the way the Star has portrayed the team. But we could go around in circles forever on that.

    MJB

  10. #33
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And, for what it's worth, I consider Mike Wells to be the best Pacer beat writer that the Star has had in my years here.

    MJB
    All I know is that Wells -repeatedly- told me he'd let me know where he and George Hill got the best soul food on the road. And he never did.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  12. #34
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,025

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby Mac,

    With all due respect, it is not the beat writer's job to "support the team". In fact, a writer that takes that approach is not doing his/her job properly. Objectivity is an essential component in good day to day coverage of a beat.

    And, for what it's worth, I consider Mike Wells to be the best Pacer beat writer that the Star has had in my years here.

    MJB
    I can appreciate the objectivity and indeed that might be the role. But I recognize superior writing skills when I see it and Candace has him "beat" pretty easily there.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,539

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Candace has done an excellent job, and you don't need to criticize Wells in anyway to recognize that. I assume she won't be in the same position long as she has a lot of talent and will find a higher paying gig soon.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  15. #36
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strummer,

    Valid point. It was not my intent to denigrate Candace - she has yet to prove herelf, and it would be unfair to be critical at this early juncture - but I am a big Mike Wells fan. I can tell you this: he knew the team inside and out and had great access and contacts within the locker room.

    MJB
    From a fan perspective, I felt that Mike Wells may have known a lot of things and had a lot of contacts but we didn't get a lot of that information passed on nor were those contacts used to fill in the "why" gaps. I think his writing style was to leave people speculating, which is fine for a columnist/blogger but not the job of a reporter. I never felt like he told me anything more than I got from PD - and, while PD is pretty strong if you consider the sources, that seems to be a failing on the part of the guy whose actual job it is to dig out answers to the real questions..
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  17. #37
    Member Grover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    86

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I know is that Wells -repeatedly- told me he'd let me know where he and George Hill got the best soul food on the road. And he never did.
    BINGO!

  18. #38

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    I had no idea who she was until I read an article in the Star that was basically a recap of the Magic game. I really enjoyed it and then looked to see who wrote it. Once I saw the name I didn't recognize her name so I googled her and read some of her previous articles. I was very impressed and think she will be an excellent addition.

  19. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    She is good I like that it seems like she knows a lot about the game unlike Wells.

  20. #40
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    I liked Wells for the Pacers, and I like him for the Colts. Never really understood why so many people were bothered by him. I know people talk about writing style and grammatical errors or whatever, but I suspect it's more likely they were put off by his "I'm going to call it like I see it and I don't care if you like it or not" attitude.

    I like Candace Buckner, too. Either one of them is light years better than Pointer.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  22. #41
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,025

    Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked Wells for the Pacers, and I like him for the Colts. Never really understood why so many people were bothered by him. I know people talk about writing style and grammatical errors or whatever, but I suspect it's more likely they were put off by his "I'm going to call it like I see it and I don't care if you like it or not" attitude.

    I like Candace Buckner, too. Either one of them is light years better than Pointer.
    Attitude is right.

    He seemed to have an ax to grind the moment he stepped foot in the State of Indiana. I think he intended to get under people's skin and he accomplished that.

    That drew my interest initially, then I read several of his articles and found his poor writing skills. Boring and poorly flowing is the best way I can describe it. He makes Kravitz' work look like Earnest Hemingway. Candace is a huge breath of fresh air when it comes to a good read...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •