Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

Default Re: Best Offseason Acquisition: Candace Buckner

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby Mac,

With all due respect, it is not the beat writer's job to "support the team". In fact, a writer that takes that approach is not doing his/her job properly. Objectivity is an essential component in good day to day coverage of a beat.

And, for what it's worth, I consider Mike Wells to be the best Pacer beat writer that the Star has had in my years here.

MJB
    I suspect you and Bobby Mac define "support the team" differently. You can support the team by getting to know the players and writing interesting articles. Buckner seems to be doing that. So far she's been a breath of fresh air. Helping the community get to know the players does "support the team". She has access that we don't. It didn't seem like Wells had that kind of access.

I've read the Star beat writers since the 70's. Wells isn't near the top of my list. He was honest (and repetitive) in his opinions. But he was far from objective.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Buckner has done a nice job thus far. Of course, it is a bit easier to write about a top 5 NBA team coming off an ECF appearance, whereas Wells wrote primarily during the down years.
    Good point. I hadn't considered that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Strummer,

Valid point. It was not my intent to denigrate Candace - she has yet to prove herelf, and it would be unfair to be critical at this early juncture - but I am a big Mike Wells fan. I can tell you this: he knew the team inside and out and had great access and contacts within the locker room.

MJB

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I disagree, It is not the beat writers job to try to create controversy but rather to report about the team. The star has for a number of years been more interested in sensational, negative reporting rather than showing our teams and indeed the whole city in a positive light. This does not mean covering up problems, rather it means that that they should not go out of their way to paint the teams (or city) in a negative light.

Bobby Mac,

With all due respect, it is not the beat writer's job to "support the team". In fact, a writer that takes that approach is not doing his/her job properly. Objectivity is an essential component in good day to day coverage of a beat.

And, for what it's worth, I consider Mike Wells to be the best Pacer beat writer that the Star has had in my years here.

MJB

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I think he was just temporary. Didn't seem to know the team all that well.
    Yeah that was a really awkward offseason. He didn't seem to be interested in the team and only reported well after everything was confirmed by other sources.

Bobby Mac,

I understand your point, though I completely disagree with your view of the way the Star has portrayed the team. But we could go around in circles forever on that.

MJB

Mood

Mark, Indeed we could, let's agree to disagree. Go Pacers!

Bobby Mac,

I understand your point, though I completely disagree with your view of the way the Star has portrayed the team. But we could go around in circles forever on that.

MJB

MJB
    All I know is that Wells -repeatedly- told me he'd let me know where he and George Hill got the best soul food on the road. And he never did.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Bobby Mac,

MJB
    I can appreciate the objectivity and indeed that might be the role. But I recognize superior writing skills when I see it and Candace has him "beat" pretty easily there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Candace has done an excellent job, and you don't need to criticize Wells in anyway to recognize that. I assume she won't be in the same position long as she has a lot of talent and will find a higher paying gig soon.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Strummer,

Valid point. It was not my intent to denigrate Candace - she has yet to prove herelf, and it would be unfair to be critical at this early juncture - but I am a big Mike Wells fan. I can tell you this: he knew the team inside and out and had great access and contacts within the locker room.

MJB
    From a fan perspective, I felt that Mike Wells may have known a lot of things and had a lot of contacts but we didn't get a lot of that information passed on nor were those contacts used to fill in the "why" gaps. I think his writing style was to leave people speculating, which is fine for a columnist/blogger but not the job of a reporter. I never felt like he told me anything more than I got from PD - and, while PD is pretty strong if you consider the sources, that seems to be a failing on the part of the guy whose actual job it is to dig out answers to the real questions..
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    All I know is that Wells -repeatedly- told me he'd let me know where he and George Hill got the best soul food on the road. And he never did.
    BINGO!

I had no idea who she was until I read an article in the Star that was basically a recap of the Magic game. I really enjoyed it and then looked to see who wrote it. Once I saw the name I didn't recognize her name so I googled her and read some of her previous articles. I was very impressed and think she will be an excellent addition.

Banned

She is good I like that it seems like she knows a lot about the game unlike Wells.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked Wells for the Pacers, and I like him for the Colts. Never really understood why so many people were bothered by him. I know people talk about writing style and grammatical errors or whatever, but I suspect it's more likely they were put off by his "I'm going to call it like I see it and I don't care if you like it or not" attitude.

I like Candace Buckner, too. Either one of them is light years better than Pointer.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I liked Wells for the Pacers, and I like him for the Colts. Never really understood why so many people were bothered by him. I know people talk about writing style and grammatical errors or whatever, but I suspect it's more likely they were put off by his "I'm going to call it like I see it and I don't care if you like it or not" attitude.

I like Candace Buckner, too. Either one of them is light years better than Pointer.
    Attitude is right.

He seemed to have an ax to grind the moment he stepped foot in the State of Indiana. I think he intended to get under people's skin and he accomplished that.

That drew my interest initially, then I read several of his articles and found his poor writing skills. Boring and poorly flowing is the best way I can describe it. He makes Kravitz' work look like Earnest Hemingway. Candace is a huge breath of fresh air when it comes to a good read...