Thread: Rasual Butler makes team

Default Rasual Butler makes team

Via Scott Agness

Rasual Butler was told by Vogel and @PacersKev that he made the team after Friday's win in DAL. Said he could take a Juwan Howard-like role.

Juwan Howard role? Hmm. Don't understand keeping him, even with Danny's injury, but good for him.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Rasual Butler makes team

Honestly, we might as well have 14 players on the roster. It doesn't make any sense to limit ourselves to 13 and a shorter bench if someone is hurt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't mind stashing veterans at the end of the bench because they're usually nice to have in the locker room, but I'd rather give a younger guy with upside this sort of roster spot. I don't think Butler was much of a player even in his prime, let alone today, but I think this front office deserves the benefit of the doubt in this case. The 14th man on this roster probably won't play a single meaningful minute this year so it probably doesn't really matter.

Good for Butler, though. He's been out of the league a couple of years.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Even though he probably won't play I don't mind this. Seems like a good locker room vet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Butler wont ever get on the court so i dont think it really matters.

he will probably be waived a few weeks in to the season anyway
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Interesting. Doubt he ever plays any meaningful minutes, but it doesn't hurt to have another veteran voice in the locker room.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like having what seems to be a steady influence in a young lockerroom.

Outside of West/Granger, the Pacers are short on those guys that have seen enough to remain calm. I assume he'll be let go once Danny is completely healthy, but I see the upside of having him around.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Temporary made the team. I still would have rather kept Armstrong as the 14th man.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Armstrong probably should have made the team, but I really don't get Butler. Team has a glut of guys that can play SF.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Banned

So they are getting insurance in case the "minor injury" is more than just a "minor injury", interesting.

This may be an indication that TPTB are not as sure about Danny's health as they say they are. And are being extra careful as a result. Keeping an extra wing as insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be an indication that TPTB are not as sure about Danny's health as they say they are. And are being extra careful as a result. Keeping an extra wing as insurance.
    Which make this eerily similar to the start of last year....
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Don't we need a 3rd centre?

Marcus Camby?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Don't we need a 3rd centre?

Marcus Camby?
    I don't think Camby's going to play with anyone this season but Houston. He lives there and has a history with the organization.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I don't think Camby's going to play with anyone this season but Houston. He lives there and has a history with the organization.
    Also injured for about 3 months apparently. I think the Rockets waived him.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

It means that when some player gives Paul George the choke sign, he's on it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Sounds from what I've read that they see him as a mentor / positive influence on Lance, OJ, and Solomon. Works for me; it's not my money.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Via Scott Agness

Rasual Butler was told by Vogel and @PacersKev that he made the team after Friday's win in DAL. Said he could take a Juwan Howard-like role.
    JH role? That leads me to presume that he looks good in a suit and that he has the ability to excel as a cheerleader. Any locker room presence is icing on the cake, unless of course it is of a negative nature.

In other words, I don't care. I don't know what his salary is, it just seems like it is money poorly committed for a team so close to the luxury tax threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Temporary made the team. I still would have rather kept Armstrong as the 14th man.

Agreed. He looked good in the preseason minutes I saw him and seemed to play hard. But as the 14th man, maybe there was indeed more than just ability being evaluated.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ready...g-night-roster

Butler Makes Roster; Ready to Lead, Play

by Scott Agness | @ScottAgness

Rasual Butler knew after Friday’s preseason finale in Dallas that a decision had been made. Head coach Frank Vogel asked to speak with him so he knew information was coming. Butler was encouraged by his play with the team since September and he had heard good things. As he stepped into the office, and also saw general manger Kevin Pritchard, he was simply hoping for the best.
    “They said this was the easy part, that I made the team, and they felt like my experience could help this team on the floor and especially off the floor,” Butler recalled following practice on Sunday. “Just being a good veteran leader, helping some of the young guys with some of my experiences that I’ve seen throughout the game of basketball and also in life.
    “They referenced Juwan Howard, talking about how he was really valuable to the Miami Heat, but they also wanted me to stay ready to play. Be that good locker room guy, be a good veteran leader and help out guys like Lance Stephenson, Orlando Johnson and Solomon Hill, and helping those guys stay focused.”
    Howard, now 40 years old, was with the Miami Heat for their back-to-back championships, and although he contributed little on the floor – he played in just 44 games total over the last two seasons, including playoffs – Howard had a big part in their success because of the weight he carried in the locker room.
    Howard retired after last season’s title but he remained with the team as an assistant coach for player development.
    Butler has already taken special interest in Stephenson, Johnson and Hill. He’s passing along what he is seeing while also keeping them engaged on the bench. But that’s not all. He aims to make a difference on the floor whenever called upon, and there may be some minutes for him at times early on due to the uncertainty surrounding Danny Granger’s health.
    “You just have to be ready to play at all times,” said Butler. “That’s my job, to be ready to play basketball. That’s something that coach and Kevin talked to me about.”
    Sticking on the team’s roster, at least for now, carries extra weight for the 34-year-old because of the work and sacrifices he make it back in the NBA, where roster spots are limited. During his year out of the league last year, he spent time in the D-League. The Pacers then added him to their Summer League team to get an up-close view of what he had left in the tank and how he could contribute.
    “It feels really good,” Butler said of making a roster after failing to last year. “I don’t know too many guys that at the age of 34 who play NBA Summer League. I was almost 15 years older than some of those guys there. It was me doing something to show people that I still wanted to play and that I could still play and that my body was in shape. I also played part of the year in the Developmental League, so it was really gratifying to hear that I made the team and that they see how could add value to a great team like this.
    “This is a big step. This lets me know at this point, they feel that I’m someone that can help the team and I’m going to continue to work hard everyday to continue to show that.”
    Butler said a couple other teams were interested in his services but when the Pacers called and he saw a possible need for a wing, the decision was easy.
    “Not very often do you have the opportunity to be part of a high-class organization with talented players with high character looking to do something special,” he said. “It’s not very often that you have that opportunity in your career so I wanted to try and take advantage of that.”
    Butler is set to begin his 11th year in the NBA and the Pacers are his sixth different team. He’s on a non-guaranteed, minimum deal with a cap hit of $885,000. However, he does take away the team’s flexibility should they need or choose to go after another player because they’d then exceed the luxury tax. President Larry Bird has said numerous times that they won’t exceed the tax line.
    The key date for Butler and the Pacers is Jan. 10, when contracts are guaranteed for the remainder of the season. The decision whether or not to keep him will ultimately be in the hands of Bird and owner Herb Simon.
    “Rasual has earned a job on our team and we’re excited about having him on the roster opening night,” Vogel said. “[He’s] the reliable veteran [and] a good story. A guy who was out of the league last year and didn’t quit on it. He went to the D-League and worked, and made sure he stayed sharp with everything until he got another opportunity and made the best of it.”
    Butler saw time in five of the eight preseason games. 40 minutes total. He was 3-for-15 from the floor, scored eight points and pulled down seven rebounds. Over his decade-long career, he’s a 40-percent shooter.
    “I’m a guy that can space the floor and hit shots,” Butler said of his game “I can defend. I still have some pop in my legs to be athletic, to run with guys and make some good defensive plays. I can hit a one-two dribble pull-up and get to the basketball a little bit. I’ve really worked on my body to get stronger. Being able to make reads out of pick-and-rolls so you can be more of a threat on the basketball floor.”
    Butler’s teammates already see his fit with this bunch.
    “Rasual's the type of player you need on your team,” said Granger, who’s been with the Pacers since they drafted him in 2005. “He's played on teams like this one. Any guy who can stretch the court and make open shots and play defense, and a veteran who gets along with all the guys, any team needs that. I definitely think there's a place for him.”
    Added George Hill: “He's a great leader, a great teammate. He's been in the NBA, he's been around good teams, he's been around bad teams, he knows how to win, there's nothing flashy about him, but what we need from him is his leadership. That's the most positive thing that he brings. Great locker room guy. Hold everyone accountable, make them do things that maybe he knows he should have done early in his career.”
    Whether it is through his guidance, experience or on-court play, Butler is willing to do whatever to stay with the Pacers and most importantly, help them in their effort to win the franchise’s first NBA title.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Honestly, we might as well have 14 players on the roster. It doesn't make any sense to limit ourselves to 13 and a shorter bench if someone is hurt.
    My preference would have been to keep a 14th Player only to fill a roster need ( like our lack of depth at Center...which someone like Hilton Armstrong could have filled ). If that need could not be filled...why get a Player that could only fill a position that we didn't really need filled? We have more than enough Wing Players to fill in if Granger is perpetually hurt.

I'd prefer to not pay a 14th Player ( even if it's the Veteran Minimum ) just to keep the 14th spot open to allow for multi-Player trades. Unless Rasual is a total Locker room guy that none of us are aware of....I'd think that someone like Scola or CJ Watson could provide some Locker room / Veteran leadership if Vogel/Bird really wanted to look for that.

It's really a minor complaint at this point....cuz Butler could easily be bought out.....but why spend $900k ( or whatever it is for the Vet Minimum ) to buy out a Player if there isn't really a need for him?

EDIT - he's non-guaranteed until January 10th...so no biggie...he can be let go after that if there is a need to wheel-and-deal.

Still...I would have preferred to keep a Big Man. I guess that the Pacers can pick up any Big Man off of the FA market if the need ever arises.

Question though...I assume that he will be let go after January 10th. I assume that he still gets paid in some fashion....does he get just a percentage of the non-guaranteed $$$ where his Salary won't hit the books but he gets paid?
    Last edited by CableKC; 10-28-2013 at 02:23 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    So they are getting insurance in case the "minor injury" is more than just a "minor injury", interesting.
    I can see how one may think that it may be WingMan insurance. But given that we have Solo, Copeland and OJ to cover the Wing Positions ( all Players capable of stepping in to simply fill any void in the WingMan rotation for a possibly oft-injured Granger ); I'm inclined to believe that Butler isn't insurance for the Team but just what the article that RamBo_Lamar suggests.....but simply a positive Locker Room influence and mentor to OJ/Lance/Solo ( as opposed to what you are suggesting ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Rasual sounds like someone who might have been burned by a "buddy" before, and has experiences
    he can share with the young guys to help steer them away from potential trouble.

Definitely not the kind of activities we would want our guys getting anywhere near.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 10-28-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Gramatical

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

From Wiki:
    Butler is close friends with fellow NBA player Lamar Odom and was seen in episodes of his television show, Khloe and Lamar. He also was dating Khloe's friend and former assistant, actress Malika Haqq, at the time of his appearance on the show.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rasual Butler - Coach in Training. I'm glad the Pacers have him.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!