Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Pacers talk

Banned

Default Re: Bill Simmons/Jalen Rose Pacers talk

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much do you think Lance is going to make? I think in order to make room for Lance's contract we would need to find ways to move 2 of Mahinmi, Scola, and Copeland or move a starter in purely salary dump moves. I think it would hurt us more than help us, because the cost would get higher the worse the player we're moving is.

There are really only two ways I see us moving Granger:
    1) He can't get on the floor at all and some team with a good player on a large expiring contract wants him to finish off their tank job.
    2) We have a season-ending injury to George Hill or a big and we can move Granger (healthy or injured) for a replacement (again an expiring) so we stay in contention.

I think they will have to sour on either Ian or Scola before doing anything that requires a major shakeup of the roster for next season.
    Lance is going to make about 3/4mil a year and I believe Scola only has 400k guarantee so he is probably gone(I want him here forever but that is not my decision).

If DG is broken I expect Larry to make something happen and like I said before there is not really that many options, Nash(2years) plus Blake(expiring) is the best option I could come up with, it would even be better if Hill was in the mix so we could send Ian ; ) the goal is not to get a long term contract back so it doesn't affect the starting unit.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Lance is going to make about 3/4mil a year and I believe Scola only has 400k guarantee so he is probably gone(I want him here forever but that is not my decision).

If DG is broken I expect Larry to make something happen and like I said before there is not really that many options, Nash(2years) plus Blake(expiring) is the best option I could come up with, it would even be better if Hill was in the mix so we could send Ian ; ) the goal is not to get a long term contract back so it doesn't affect the starting unit.
    Why would you want to trade Hill .....? There are only 5 point guards better than Hill right now, Parker, Rose, Westbrook, CP3, Rondo (who is out for the year), Deron. Ian is one of the better back up centers who is cheap and young. Nash wouldn't even play well in this system, because he relies mainly on pick-and rolls.

I'd love to see a team assembled the way VNZ envisions. The starting backcourt of Steve Nash and Monta Ellis, an even worse defensive backcourt than LA's current lineup (if that is possible), yet with half the offensive fire power.

The cool thing about Vnz's dream team, is they would have some big names on the team, but they'd simply blow. Watching the team struggle to get 20 wins while everyone gunned for their own numbers would be hilarious. (or depressing)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Simmons likes the Pacers. The guy has been hyping Paul George since he was a rookie.
    Or you know.... he just likes the talents of Paul George.

I am not saying he has an agenda against the Pacers, he doesn't of course. But what irritates me the most about him is that he's a bad Boston sports homer at times. I posted it on the Colts forum but I will do it on here too. Last season on his ESPN NBA Countdown show around the NBA Finals, he mentioned Chicago, Brooklyn (probably) and wait for it...Boston as possible challengers for Miami's crown next season. He didn't mention the Pacers at all. A team that had just reached the ECF that season and had one of the (if not) best starting 5 in this league. Yet he chose to select Chicago without knowing in what shape Rose will be and his washed up hometown team. I lost massive respect for him in that moment.

Honestly, this is the thing that has changed the most about Simmons since he started Grantland. He's a drama whore now. There is literally no legit reason you can have for starting Chi over Miami. It's not even like the Bulls of this gen have perfomed well against the Big 3 Heat. They got their teeth kicked in the one time they met in the ECF and that was with home court advantage. Bron and company gave them gentlemen's sweep out onto their asses. Which is pretty pathetic considering that we and Boston took them to 7 in our two matchups against them.
    Aye. "Hey look at us. Everybody is projecting Miami 1st, so we're gonna go against the tide without any viable reason. But hey, look at us"
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Why would you want to trade Hill .....? There are only 5 point guards better than Hill right now, Parker, Rose, Westbrook, CP3, Rondo (who is out for the year), Deron. Ian is one of the better back up centers who is cheap and young. Nash wouldn't even play well in this system, because he relies mainly on pick-and rolls.
    LA's Hill...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I'd love to see a team assembled the way VNZ envisions. The starting backcourt of Steve Nash and Monta Ellis, an even worse defensive backcourt than LA's current lineup (if that is possible), yet with half the offensive fire power.

The cool thing about Vnz's dream team, is they would have some big names on the team, but they'd simply blow. Watching the team struggle to get 20 wins while everyone gunned for their own numbers would be hilarious. (or depressing)
    Ok so lets see, I wanted George a Hill as our starter way before some around here knew who he was, at the time I was told by some people that I needed to stop looking at the green grass because DC was our starter of the future, so point guard of the future that I wanted? check.

On Lance I have been a Lance fan since he got here and I want him starting, check.

In the begging of last year everybody wanted to trade Paul George but only me Ace, trader Joe and few others kept the faith that the guy was going to turned around, I always wanted him for our future, check.

David West? I didn't want him, not a big fan of building for the future with old people as main pieces.

Roy Hibbert, I was so happy in draft night when we drafted him, I hated the clown of JOB for not letting him play so yeah I'm a Roy Hibbert fan and wanted him for our future, check.

I wanted Scola and Watson last year but I was told by the excuse makers that we did not need them because Gerald Green and the rest of the garbage players they got were an upgrade, it took some people around here until the end of the season to realize what kind if garbage that bench was, some people still think it was not that bad lol.

So yeah as you can see the Pacers have actually builded a team were the majority of their players are players I wanted, I still wish we had Monta, OJ or Jamaal Crawford instead of a 14mil cheerleader but oh well in Larry we trust(was right in wanting to trade the guy long time ago,check).
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-29-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Simmons likes the Pacers. The guy has been hyping Paul George since he was a rookie.
    He likes some of the Pacers. He definitely likes Paul George and Hibbert. He's just skeptical that the Pacers can beat the Heat. That doesn't make him a hack... it just makes him wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    He likes some of the Pacers. He definitely likes Paul George and Hibbert. He's just skeptical that the Pacers can beat the Heat. That doesn't make him a hack... it just makes him wrong.
    They've beaten us twice in a row. They've beaten everybody in the Eastern Conference every season since they've been assembled. How could you not be skeptical that we can beat them? Hell, how could you not be skeptical that anyone can beat them?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

COULD ALABAMA BEAT THE HEAT? MY COLUMN:

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

You know, not "everybody" wanted to trade Paul George. I would venture to say not even a significant minority wanted to trade him.

And there are "some people" who would tell you that the Earth is flat and that the Moon is made of green cheese, but that doesn't mean disagreeing with those statements makes someone a savant. Plenty of people here felt DC wasn't going to be a great point guard. As far as being able to get GHill, just saying "we should get GHill" isn't the same as predicting HOW we could get him. Really, who thought he would be available for a draft pick? And even at that it almost didn't happen: see http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ference-finals for an interesting article.

And, at this point, there seems to be some concerned buzz about how effective the replacement bench players are being. One hopes they will improve, but that's where we were last year as well (especially considering Gerald Green was always "that guy we should have drafted instead of Danny Granger").
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    You know, not "everybody" wanted to trade Paul George. I would venture to say not even a significant minority wanted to trade him.
    I didn't say EVERYBODY read my post again.

And there are "some people" who would tell you that the Earth is flat and that the Moon is made of green cheese, but that doesn't mean disagreeing with those statements makes someone a savant.
    I bet you wouldn't freakout with those statements as much ; )

Plenty of people here felt DC wasn't going to be a great point guard.
    Where were those people? mackeyfan is the only one I can think of.

As far as being able to get GHill, just saying "we should get GHill" isn't the same as predicting HOW we could get him. Really, who thought he would be available for a draft pick? And even at that it almost didn't happen: see http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ference-finals for an interesting article.
    You can't have it both ways, I get a lot of s*** for saying "we should get Monta" but I can't get credit for saying "lets go get Hill"? ok...

And, at this point, there seems to be some concerned buzz about how effective the replacement bench players are being. One hopes they will improve, but that's where we were last year as well (especially considering Gerald Green was always "that guy we should have drafted instead of Danny Granger").
    A group of guys here knew that bench was trash since the beginning.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.

I didn't say EVERYBODY read my post again. .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In the begging of last year everybody wanted to trade Paul George but only me Ace, trader Joe and few others kept the faith that the guy was going to turned around, I always wanted him for our future, check.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    They've beaten us twice in a row. They've beaten everybody in the Eastern Conference every season since they've been assembled. How could you not be skeptical that we can beat them? Hell, how could you not be skeptical that anyone can beat them?
    Exactly! That last sentence was sarcasm but the smilies aren't working for me for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

You can't have it both ways, I get a lot of s*** for saying "we should get Monta" but I can't get credit for saying "lets to get Hill"?
    I suppose that's fair enough, but you made very specific statements about who we should get rid of to get Monta (and how much to spend on him when he was a FA) while you weren't doing the same thing stating how GHill was going to be pried away from San Antonio.

And while I didn't suggest alternatives, I always felt DC was a poor starting PG mainly because his defense on screens was atrocious.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am not sure you know what the word 'everybody' means. There was one person that made a couple of comments about this being the time to maximize his potential by trading him at the peak of his value. This turns into everybody wanted to trade him.

Statements like this are what turn you into a target. You always claim that you are a victim and that people target you for some unknown reason. I am telling you that this is why.

Does anybody really care what Bill Simmons thinks? He is basically the basketball version of Skip Bayless. Doc Rivers put him in his place
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Does anybody really care what Bill Simmons thinks? He is basically the basketball version of Skip Bayless. Doc Rivers put him in his place
    He is doing awfully well for somebody that has opinions that nobody cares about.

He has the Pacers ranked #4 for goodness sakes. I don't get the whole BS hates the Pacers sentiment.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I am not sure you know what the word 'everybody' means. There was one person that made a couple of comments about this being the time to maximize his potential by trading him at the peak of his value. This turns into everybody wanted to trade him.

Statements like this are what turn you into a target. You always claim that you are a victim and that people target you for some unknown reason. I am telling you that this is why.
    Ok my bad it wasn't everybody but a big group of people.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...y-one-in-here)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't believe that. Bayless is a bad bad troll. Simmons is not that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    He is doing awfully well for somebody that has opinions that nobody cares about.

He has the Pacers ranked #4 for goodness sakes. I don't get the whole BS hates the Pacers sentiment.

To be honest you'll hardly see anyone suggesting Pacers are not a top 5 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I don't believe that. Bayless is a bad bad troll. Simmons is not that.
    Sure he is. He says Ray Allen is better than Reggie Miller. Clearly a trollish thing to say
    David "And One" West

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I suppose that's fair enough, but you made very specific statements about who we should get rid of to get Monta (and how much to spend on him when he was a FA) while you weren't doing the same thing stating how GHill was going to be pried away from San Antonio.

And while I didn't suggest alternatives, I always felt DC was a poor starting PG mainly because his defense on screens was atrocious.
    Hill was my dream but I always thought he was untouchable in SA and when somebody is untouchable there they don't go anywhere, even the reports were talking about trading Parker before him.

And regarding Monta it was known by a lot of people that he was available so it was easier for me to match salaries and talk about trading for him, note that I don't talk about trading for Lebron or players like that because I know is not reasonable, there was even a rumor that GS wanted DG for Monta so that made if easier too.

Sure he is. He says Ray Allen is better than Reggie Miller. Clearly a trollish thing to say
    Thread derail in 3, 2, 1...

That's hardly a crazy opinion if you look at their numbers and accomplishments.

Simmons comes and goes for me. Now that the Tom Brady/Peyton Manning argument has been put on the backburner he's more tolerable. I didn't enjoy The Book of Basketball because of all the crude jokes and references and the fact that something deemed to be comprehensive was tinged with Celtic bias. Best not to take his stuff too seriously, it's mostly for entertainment.

Anyone else see the irony of saying they can't stand Bill Simmons while also arguing with Vnzla?

As for Simmons, he's an admitted Boston homer, and it's part of his schtick. He puts his dad on his podcast for 20+ minutes to talk about nothing but Boston sports. On the flip side, he's an NBA Expert (capital "E" included), especially when it comes to non-statistical evaluation of players. However, Bill also has a weak spot for superstars, and I think he firmly believes that you can't win without a top-5 player in the league. I think he also believes that any such player will gravitate towards a top-5 market, making a small market team without a top-5 player an unlikely champion. In that lens, it makes sense that the Pacers would be ranked below the Heat and Bulls. The Spurs are an exception, because they happen to have a machine-like system and the best Forward of all time.

Also, Simmons has repeatedly says he likes Indiana. He raved about the Super Bowl here, wants to locate the basketball hall of fame here, has visited the Hoosiers Gym, and generally has had nothing but good things to say about our state. I just think that he dislikes the Colts because he's a Pats fan, and he's discounting the Pacers because he doesn't think Paul George or Hibbert will be good enough to put the team on their back in an elimination game. And that's a valid viewpoint, which could be correct or incorrect.

This NBA series has been fantastic, basically because of Jalen. If you guys aren't listening to the Jalen Rose Report podcast and "Story Time with Jalen" on Youtube, you're missing on some of the best NBA insider stuff that's out there.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Anyone else see the irony of saying they can't stand Bill Simmons while also arguing with Vnzla?

As for Simmons, he's an admitted Boston homer, and it's part of his schtick. He puts his dad on his podcast for 20+ minutes to talk about nothing but Boston sports. On the flip side, he's an NBA Expert (capital "E" included), especially when it comes to non-statistical evaluation of players. However, Bill also has a weak spot for superstars, and I think he firmly believes that you can't win without a top-5 player in the league. I think he also believes that any such player will gravitate towards a top-5 market, making a small market team without a top-5 player an unlikely champion. In that lens, it makes sense that the Pacers would be ranked below the Heat and Bulls. The Spurs are an exception, because they happen to have a machine-like system and the best Forward of all time.

Also, Simmons has repeatedly says he likes Indiana. He raved about the Super Bowl here, wants to locate the basketball hall of fame here, has visited the Hoosiers Gym, and generally has had nothing but good things to say about our state. I just think that he dislikes the Colts because he's a Pats fan, and he's discounting the Pacers because he doesn't think Paul George or Hibbert will be good enough to put the team on their back in an elimination game. And that's a valid viewpoint, which could be correct or incorrect.

This NBA series has been fantastic, basically because of Jalen. If you guys aren't listening to the Jalen Rose Report podcast and "Story Time with Jalen" on Youtube, you're missing on some of the best NBA insider stuff that's out there.
    GIVVVE THE PEOPPLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!....what they waaaa-haaunntttt...
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

33. The Following User Says Thank You to RobRoy317 For This Useful Post: