Thread: Danny Granger unlikely to play when Pacers open regular season

Default Re: Danny Granger unlikely to play when Pacers open regular season

And to quote another title in the Forum:
    Oden upbeat on availability for Heat opener
    :SMFH:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not worried about the other players on the roster. Sure, something freaky can always happen on the basketball court, but only one of our players played in just 5 games last year and then couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback injury.

Let's hope that this injury heals and that he's fine for the rest of the season. But a minor injury here and a minor injury there would eventually turn into a major problem.
    I honestly worry more about G. Hill having multiple minor injuries...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    Agreed. If anyone on our roster is most injury prone, it would be George.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    He has been more than that in the preseason so far, but a good margin.
    He's been more than a 12 point a game scorer, good outside shooter, in 24 minutes a game, while playing good D off the bench.... in the preseason so far..... by a good margin??????

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Just as good as he used to be....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pumpk35 View Post
    Agreed. If anyone on our roster is most injury prone, it would be George.

George Hill games played:

08-09: 77
    09-10: 78
    10-11: 76
    11-12: 50 (out of 66)
    12-13: 76

Not sure how he's injury prone. Only once in his career has an injury caused him to miss a significant amount of time, which was the ankle injury a couple of years ago.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    He has been more than that in the preseason so far, but a good margin.

Granger shot 31.8% from the field in the pre-season. Granted it's just pre-season, and sure he was no doubt going to look rusty after being away from the game for so long, but he's not even come close to looking like someone who should be the second or third option in the offense.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    He's been more than a 12 point a game scorer, good outside shooter, in 24 minutes a game, while playing good D off the bench.... in the preseason so far..... by a good margin??????
    I'm not worried about the exact stats, it is only preseason, and he has barely played in over a year. How he has played, though, he has looked like much more than just an outside shooter who can only play 24 minutes a game. He has moved well, created for others, and generally looked more or less like Danny, just missing the shots instead of making them.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I sure hope most people aren't sitting around worrying about George Hill when he's very likely to be healthy. What people should be worried about is whether Danny Granger is available in the playoffs in 2014. I really hope he takes it slow and perhaps comes off the bench starting in January. No hurry people. Let the man heal.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I sure hope most people aren't sitting around worrying about George Hill when he's very likely to be healthy. What people should be worried about is whether Danny Granger is available in the playoffs in 2014. I really hope he takes it slow and perhaps comes off the bench starting in January. No hurry people. Let the man heal.
    Hill has been healthy enough to play, but I remember both last year and the year before he had some nagging injuries. I think a hip injury was one of them both seasons, but don't quote me on that part.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner 11m

#Pacers F Danny Granger, in full warm ups, is participating in the layup line before the game but again, he's not expected to play
    Details
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner 11m

#Pacers F Danny Granger, in full warm ups, is participating in the layup line before the game but again, he's not expected to play
    Details
    That screams of him probably being able to play, but they are being extremely cautious.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Local news channel covered this story a day or so back. Showed some practice coverage and Granger seems to be moving around pretty well. Saw a little jumping but nothing extreme. So, I'm going to think they are playing it careful. And, why not? They can see what the new guys can do. If there is any time to be careful, it is the beginning of the season.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Banned

Scott Agness ‏@ScottAgness 15m
    Vogel declares Danny Granger (calf strain) out for the first two games of the season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    George Hill games played:

08-09: 77
    09-10: 78
    10-11: 76
    11-12: 50 (out of 66)
    12-13: 76

Not sure how he's injury prone. Only once in his career has an injury caused him to miss a significant amount of time, which was the ankle injury a couple of years ago.
    With Hill it's not about games played, it's about effectiveness. The past two years he has had nagging injuries that he played through, but they limited his mobility. Remember when most everyone complained that Hill wasn't fighting through screens last year? He had hip and groin issues all season. It's admirable that he plays through this stuff (maybe...actually perhaps a little more time off would prevent the chain of little maladies), but when he isn't 100% it does have an impact on the game. This is especially true with our defensive system, which relies heavily on the talents of George and Hibbert. When Hill can't consistently keep his man in front of him that leaves the other two more vulnerable to fouls.

Hill's tendency to be plagued by nagging injuries is probably not in the top 5 or even 10 of Pacer concerns. But I wouldn't dismiss the idea that he is injury prone based solely on games played/missed. Last year he sat out the whole preseason with a thumb injury, then during the season he had the hip-pointer, a right thigh contusion, a left shoulder contusion, a left groin strain, a concussion...and he aggravated many of those injuries several times. There was even an article on Pacers.com (I think...could have been The Star) about how Hill led the team in injuries.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    With Hill it's not about games played, it's about effectiveness. The past two years he has had nagging injuries that he played through, but they limited his mobility. Remember when most everyone complained that Hill wasn't fighting through screens last year? He had hip and groin issues all season. It's admirable that he plays through this stuff (maybe...actually perhaps a little more time off would prevent the chain of little maladies), but when he isn't 100% it does have an impact on the game. This is especially true with our defensive system, which relies heavily on the talents of George and Hibbert. When Hill can't consistently keep his man in front of him that leaves the other two more vulnerable to fouls.

Hill's tendency to be plagued by nagging injuries is probably not in the top 5 or even 10 of Pacer concerns. But I wouldn't dismiss the idea that he is injury prone based solely on games played/missed. Last year he sat out the whole preseason with a thumb injury, then during the season he had the hip-pointer, a right thigh contusion, a left shoulder contusion, a left groin strain, a concussion...and he aggravated many of those injuries several times. There was even an article on Pacers.com (I think...could have been The Star) about how Hill led the team in injuries.
    A good point. I wonder if it had anything to do with the dearth of options behind him? If we'd had CJ/Sloan backing him up, would the coaching staff have been more open to shutting him down for a couple of games?

If it would mean he's healthy late in the year, it's an option I'd want to consider.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Might as well be careful with Granger to avoid a potential setback. It's part of the reason why we brought in Copeland and drafted Solomon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Scott Agness ‏@ScottAgness 15m
    Vogel declares Danny Granger (calf strain) out for the first two games of the season.
    Here we go...
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I feel like the circumstance with Granger has been clear, for a very long time.

He is getting older, he has a chronic knee injury, and he's not played NBA-level basketball for over 1.5 years now. These are facts that are indisputable. To expect that he's going to be the player that he was in his prime with us is unrealistic. To see him at even 75% of his peak performance in the next 2-3 months is also likely quite unrealistic.

He has a 14 million dollar expiring contract. Most of that cap space has already been spoken for in PG's new deal. The front office has also been fairly clear that they intend to try hard to resign Lance next offseason. This gives the team very, very little flexibility to trade Granger's contract this year. Doing so would put them over the luxury tax next year, something that it's clear they don't want to do.

This leaves us in the current circumstance: hoping that he'll deliver something resembling a quality 20-30min/game, with solid perimeter offensive and average defense, and highly, highly unlikely to be traded. We will have to wait and see what his new "steady state" is and be thankful for any sort of consistent contribution.

Why are folks on this board still wringing their hands about him at this point? You all certainly can't be surprised? I think the goal at this point is to have a solid lineup contributor by the playoffs, which is more or less a coin toss at this point.

Just my $0.02.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    To expect that he's going to be the player that he was in his prime with us is unrealistic.
    No one is expecting that, my friend. Absolutely no one is expecting 08-09 Danny. The most that someone can expect is 11-12 Danny.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

As long as Granger can hold his own defensively and shoot from the perimeter with efficiency, he'll help us.

Banned

@ScottAgness: Ready to lead, play, @RasualButler45 makes Pacers Opening Night roster http://t.co/AsCo1a3P72

He aims to make a difference on the floor whenever called upon, and there may be some minutes for him at times early on due to the uncertainty surrounding Danny Granger’s health.
    Uncertainty? interesting...

Hopefully Danny can get back, and perform at a high level without setbacks, sooner rather than later. But that said, there's no reason to push it. There's no reason to rush him back into the starting lineup, and little reason to force feed him large minutes in any role. Simply let him rehab, heal, and s l o w l y work him back into game shape and knock the rust off to hopefully have him ready for some serious evaluation down the road.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    No one is expecting that, my friend. Absolutely no one is expecting 08-09 Danny. The most that someone can expect is 11-12 Danny.
    I'd take the 05-06 Granger at this point if he could be healthy enough to play 70+ games
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: