Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger unlikely to play when Pacers open regular season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Danny Granger unlikely to play when Pacers open regular season

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...season-Tuesday

Danny Granger’s return to the Indiana Pacers likely will be delayed a bit longer — although no one knows exactly how long.

Pacers coach Frank Vogel said after practice Thursday that the strained calf suffered by Granger last week is worse than previously thought and he doubts the former All-Star forward will play in the team’s regular-season opener against Orlando on Tuesday.

“There’s a chance he could play (against the Magic), but it’s probably unlikely,” Vogel said.

Granger did not play in Tuesday’s 107-89 preseason victory at Atlanta and will not play Friday night in the Pacers’ preseason finale at Dallas. He missed all but five games last season because of a knee injury.

The calf strain, suffered Oct. 16 against Dallas, is not directly related to the knee injury, but Granger has not practiced for more than a week and Vogel is concerned that has kept the knee from being as strong as it needs to be.

“That could be what makes this more than a day-to-day thing,” Vogel said.

Granger refused to rule himself out for Tuesday, however.

“That’s why we keep saying ‘day to day.’ ” he said. “They’re kind of bringing me in to see how I’m feeling, so I don’t know.”

Granger had been the Pacers’ leading scorer for five consecutive years before last season. He is in the final year of his contract. Entering camp, he was in a close battle with Lance Stephenson — who replaced him in the starting lineup — for the fifth starting spot this season.

The setback with the calf ensures Stephenson will start, Vogel said.

“We’ll see where Danny is as he heals and that could change down the road,” Vogel said. “If Danny was healthy and playing great, and Lance is healthy and playing great, I could see stretches throughout the season where Lance was starting, and I could see stretches where Danny is starting.”

Those plans are on hold for now for the Pacers, who started the preseason with five losses before winning their past two.

“I’m real happy about my knee, honestly,” Granger said. “The calf is just a muscle strain. That’s not a big deal. ... I’ve been real happy because my knee has been just fine up till this point, so if I had to get hurt, I was glad that it was just a muscle strain, honestly.”

Vogel said he will stick to the regular lineup and rotations Friday night at Dallas, similar to what he will use during the regular season. There could be a few tweaks, though. Chris Copeland, whom the Pacers signed away from the New York Knicks, will get a look at small forward after being used at power forward for most of the preseason.

Starting guard George Hill said the Pacers are tired as the preseason concludes.

“I think it’s only because of the Global Games,” Hill said of the Pacers’ two exhibition games in Asia against the Houston Rockets. “I think it kind of messed (up) the schedule there, going over there, re-catching up on your sleep and the time difference.

“We’ve had six road games and just two home games. It’s been tough. But you want to use things like that to teach you how to fight through adversity.”

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Danny Granger unlikely to play when Pacers open regular season

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...season-Tuesday

Danny Granger’s return to the Indiana Pacers likely will be delayed a bit longer — although no one knows exactly how long.
    .”
    That's a real shame. I'm in Indy for just a few days and just bought tickets to the home opener. The only other time I'll get to see the Pacers this year will be at Denver. I was really hoping to see Granger play Tues. I hope this is a very short term thing for him and he's able to move into the lineup within a few games.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    That's a real shame. I'm in Indy for just a few days and just bought tickets to the home opener. The only other time I'll get to see the Pacers this year will be at Denver. I was really hoping to see Granger play Tues. I hope this is a very short term thing for him and he's able to move into the lineup within a few games.
    Same here. I'm flying to Indy today for the first time in years to see family, which also means my first game at BLF in 10 yrs. Will see him on the road at some point but I wanted to see the home crowd reaction.

Banned

Vogel is massaging somebody's ego with his comments, good strategy to keep the locker room together too.

After reading those Vogel and Granger quotes, I'm leaning towards this just being exactly what it looks like at face value: A minor injury. We're all paranoid because of what he's just been through the past 12 months, but to this point everything suggests this wasn't a knee setback beyond not being able to finish his rehab due to the other (calf) problem.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Vogel is massaging somebody's ego with his comments, good strategy to keep the locker room together too.
    The team went to the ECF without Granger last year. No need to massage anyone's ego to "keep the locker room together". If he thought different, and truly wanted to keep Danny on the bench he could easily say that and there wouldn't be an issue.

If Danny didn't like it, tough. (Though I doubt he'd make much fuss if this truly was the case)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I agree this is likely just a minor injury...this still really bums me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    After reading those Vogel and Granger quotes, I'm leaning towards this just being exactly what it looks like at face value: A minor injury. We're all paranoid because of what he's just been through the past 12 months, but to this point everything suggests this wasn't a knee setback beyond not being able to finish his rehab due to the other (calf) problem.

But the question is how many minor injuries will he have this season?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Well wouldnt we just love to know that about every player on the roster?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Well wouldnt we just love to know that about every player on the roster?

I'm not worried about the other players on the roster. Sure, something freaky can always happen on the basketball court, but only one of our players played in just 5 games last year and then couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback injury.

Let's hope that this injury heals and that he's fine for the rest of the season. But a minor injury here and a minor injury there would eventually turn into a major problem.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I hope he can come back and be an outside shooting threat that gives them 12 points a game and can give you some defensive mins against the Carmelo's and Lebron's of the league/bigger Small Foward types, so Paul doesn't have to . I hope that's everyone's expectations, cuz I think thats the best case scenario after such a long lay off. 24 quality minutes, that's all I hope for.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I'm not worried about the other players on the roster. Sure, something freaky can always happen on the basketball court, but only one of our players played in just 5 games last year and then couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback injury.

Let's hope that this injury heals and that he's fine for the rest of the season. But a minor injury here and a minor injury there would eventually turn into a major problem.
    But it's not a set back injury. The calf strain doesn't have anything to do with the knee. The fact that Danny got injured, and no one else did, doesn't say anything about Danny's potential future injuries, nor does it say anything about any of the other players.

Which is why I think it's silly to say that Lance should start, because he'll be healthier. There's absolutely no way of predicting that. Lance could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or he could break his ankle tonight. You cannot plan for injuries, and thinking one player should start because one player might miss time in the future is a pointless exercise. Sure Danny might have a setback, but there's absolutely no way of knowing and whether or not he does he'll still need to be replaced in whatever role he does have.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I hope he can come back and be an outside shooting threat that gives them 12 points a game and can give you some defensive mins against the Carmelo's and Lebron's of the league/bigger Small Foward types, so Paul doesn't have to . I hope that's everyone's expectations, cuz I think thats the best case scenario after such a long lay off. 24 quality minutes, that's all I hope for.
    He has been more than that in the preseason so far, but a good margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    But it's not a set back injury. The calf strain doesn't have anything to do with the knee. The fact that Danny got injured, and no one else did, doesn't say anything about Danny's potential future injuries, nor does it say anything about any of the other players.

Which is why I think it's silly to say that Lance should start, because he'll be healthier. There's absolutely no way of predicting that. Lance could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or he could break his ankle tonight. You cannot plan for injuries, and thinking one player should start because one player might miss time in the future is a pointless exercise. Sure Danny might have a setback, but there's absolutely no way of knowing and whether or not he does he'll still need to be replaced in whatever role he does have.
    I'm just using Vogel's words. Vogel called it a setback:

Vogel: "[Granger] was on track to maybe have a role with the starting unit where he's still finding his timing & Lance is running the bench"

"With this setback, we'll see where he's at almost on a day-by-day basis."

"There's a process of [Granger] getting back in there, testing the calf again, make sure it's strong. So it's going to be some time."

http://www.indycornrows.com/2013/10/...ner-nba-pacers

Sure, Lance could get hit by a bus or struck by lightning. Or aliens could take over the planet tomorrow making this debate a moot point. But nothing changes the fact that at this moment, Lance is a healthy injury-free 23 year old, whereas Granger is a 30 year old who played in just 5 games last year and couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback (Vogel's words) injury. You can't predict if someone will get struck by lightning, but you can use anecdotal evidence to make a logical inference that clearly one of these guys is healthier than the other. If Lance gets hit by that bus tomorrow, then yeah that changes things, but nothing like that has happened yet.

Instead of running Granger into the ground early just so we can show the world that he can play, I'd prefer to bring him around slowly against other team's bench players so that we can preserve him for the playoffs. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-25-2013 at 03:49 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a setback in the sense of "Danny Granger being healthy at the start of the year."

It isn't a setback in terms of his knee.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

I'm just using Vogel's words. Vogel called it a setback:

Vogel: "[Granger] was on track to maybe have a role with the starting unit where he's still finding his timing & Lance is running the bench"

"With this setback, we'll see where he's at almost on a day-by-day basis."

"There's a process of [Granger] getting back in there, testing the calf again, make sure it's strong. So it's going to be some time."

http://www.indycornrows.com/2013/10/...ner-nba-pacers

Sure, Lance could get hit by a bus or struck by lightning. Or aliens could take over the planet tomorrow making this debate a moot point. But nothing changes the fact that at this moment, Lance is a healthy injury-free 23 year old, whereas Granger is a 30 year old who played in just 5 games last year and couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback (Vogel's words) injury. You can't predict if someone will get struck by lightning, but you can use anecdotal evidence to make a logical inference that clearly one of these guys is healthier than the other. If Lance gets hit by that bus tomorrow, then yeah that changes things, but nothing like that has happened yet.

Instead of running Granger into the ground early just so we can show the world that he can play, I'd prefer to bring him around slowly against other team's bench players so that we can preserve him for the playoffs. We'll see what happens.
    You're using the term "set back" in a different way than Vogel is. (Because he's not using it as evidence for something in the future, like it would be if it was connected to the knee)

You can use logical inference that Lance is healther NOW, but not for the future, which is what the topic of conversation is.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-25-2013 at 03:58 PM.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

You're using the term "set back" in a different way than Vogel is.

You can use logical inference that Lance is healther NOW, but not for the future, which is what the topic of conversation is.
    I'll change my opinion whenever Danny can string together a large batch of games without going down.

Some of the most important decisions in the world are made off educated guesses with anecdotal evidence. If a professional millionaire stock trader was buying the stock of a player based on games played in the upcoming season, would they buy the stock of the 23 year old who played all of last season, or would they buy the stock of the 30 year old who played in just 5 games last year and couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

How the hell would we know that, either way, though?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    How the hell would we know that, either way, though?
    You don't, you play and find out as you go. You play and do things as if he is going to be 100% healthy, then adjust to the changing circumstances. Doing anything else is limiting your potential.

I'll change my opinion whenever Danny can string together a large batch of games without going down.

Some of the most important decisions in the world are made off educated guesses with anecdotal evidence. If a professional millionaire stock trader was buying the stock of a player based on games played in the upcoming season, would they buy the stock of the 23 year old who played all of last season, or would they buy the stock of the 30 year old who played in just 5 games last year and couldn't even make it out of the pre-season without suffering a setback?
    Sounds exactly like what Vnzla aruged when he was just sure that the 30 year old West was going to always have knee troubles, although it's much better articulated.

You have the right to your opinion, and your opinion might actually end up being true with regards to Danny. But you'll be wrong far, far more times with that type of thinking than you'll be right. Injuries are a natural part of the business, players will always get injured and said injury shouldn't just be marked as ancedotal evidence for future injuries.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sounds exactly like what Vnzla aruged when he was just sure that the 30 year old West was going to always have knee troubles, although it's much better articulated.

You have the right to your opinion, and your opinion might actually end up being true with regards to Danny. But you'll be wrong far, far more times with that type of thinking than you'll be right. Injuries are a natural part of the business, players will always get injured and said injury shouldn't just be marked as ancedotal evidence for future injuries.

I'll leave it at this, but for the record I do want to say that I do expect DG to play quite a bit for the Pacers this year. I'm not making any blanket statement about him being finished. Instead, I'm directly comparing him to another player on the team in Lance, who I think will be the better, healthier, and more consistent option.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope DG surprises me, and if he does then I will gladly admit that my prediction was wrong. I think that Lance is going to be very good barring anything unforeseen, so if DG ends up being better than Lance then that will mean that the Pacers are very well off.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this, but when Danny does come back, I really do hope that the Pacers ease him back slowly against backups. I see no reason to immediately throw him out to the wolves. I think that a guy who has been away as long as he has should be treated delicately at first, but we'll see what happens. We don't need to run him into the ground in the regular season to get wins. He needs to be fresh for the playoffs.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I don't think starting him automatically means he'll be thrown to the wolves. I don't think it will matter whether or not Danny starts or comes off the bench, when it comes to his health nor the chemistry of the team. It's not like starters only play with starters, so they need to play with Lance just in case Danny goes down. They need to learn how to play with Lance, with Danny, with CJ, with Scola, etc.

My opinion, for why Lance should come off the bench, is because it's better for Lance. Danny and his health really have no bearing in the decision. Lance is best when he has the ball in his hands. He won't have the ball in his hands with the starters.

But also, I think it can be reasonably argued that Danny with the starters will have the best benefit for his health. If he's on the floor with the reserves, they're going to lean on him more than if he's with the starters. As a starter, he's an after thought. He gets to stand in the corner and shoot, and attack when the opportunity is there. With the reserves, he'll be running through screens and be given the ball to make something happen.

Scola will be better with Lance.
    Ian will be better with Lance.
    CJ will be better with Lance.

He creates much better, which will set up Ian and Luis and it will also take pressure off of CJ to handle the ball and create, something he struggles with.

EDIT: "Is it better to be the big fish in a little pond, or the small fish in a big pond?" I think that is the position we find with Lance. Yes, Lance could start and he fits in well starting. BUT Lance could be given an even bigger opportunity coming off the bench. I think the argument is really about respecting Lance and his contributions, and somehow thinking he's just too good to be disrespected and come off the bench.
    Last edited by Since86; 10-25-2013 at 04:56 PM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its been made a point that you're using setback in a different way than coach vogel is. In other words, you should stop using the excuse that "its what vogel said." Also, how does danny's knee cause him to miss games because of a calf? How does his knee cause him to be more prone to injuries to say his wrist or shoulder? His knee doesn't make him any more injury prone than say Hill or PG. The only place he is more likely injure again is his knee, which worries me, but to say that he is more injury prone to other injuries? Thats preposterous.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't think starting him automatically means he'll be thrown to the wolves. I don't think it will matter whether or not Danny starts or comes off the bench, when it comes to his health nor the chemistry of the team. It's not like starters only play with starters, so they need to play with Lance just in case Danny goes down. They need to learn how to play with Lance, with Danny, with CJ, with Scola, etc.

My opinion, for why Lance should come off the bench, is because it's better for Lance. Danny and his health really have no bearing in the decision. Lance is best when he has the ball in his hands. He won't have the ball in his hands with the starters.

But also, I think it can be reasonably argued that Danny with the starters will have the best benefit for his health. If he's on the floor with the reserves, they're going to lean on him more than if he's with the starters. As a starter, he's an after thought. He gets to stand in the corner and shoot, and attack when the opportunity is there. With the reserves, he'll be running through screens and be given the ball to make something happen.

Scola will be better with Lance.
    Ian will be better with Lance.
    CJ will be better with Lance.

He creates much better, which will set up Ian and Luis and it will also take pressure off of CJ to handle the ball and create, something he struggles with.

EDIT: "Is it better to be the big fish in a little pond, or the small fish in a big pond?" I think that is the position we find with Lance. Yes, Lance could start and he fits in well starting. BUT Lance could be given an even bigger opportunity coming off the bench. I think the argument is really about respecting Lance and his contributions, and somehow thinking he's just too good to be disrespected and come off the bench.
    Well stated. Again, this works as long as Lance is finishing, like Ginobli does.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

41. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: