Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royce White is done.

Default Re: Royce White is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...what do you think mental illness is?

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness

He doesn't have to be hallucinating or have limited brain function to have an inability to see the world the way everyone else sees it.

If it were that simple, then it would be easy to simply explain to him the limited dangers of flying on an airplane, and that would be the end of it. He's normal enough to understand simple percentages, right?
    What do you think HIS mental illness is?

It is anxiety, yes he may have problems relating to how others don't have similar anxiety problems, but that does not mean he isn't able to understand that they don't or they may not be sympathetic. Not all mental illnesses are equal. You are equating anxiety to mental retardation or other mental illnesses that prohibit one from being able to function at a normal adult level mentally. Anxiety is not a learning disability. Someone with anxiety is just as capable of being as smart as Einstein as you or me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    uh...it absolutely could have. If he had a clear ability to detect how his actions were perceived by those around him and his employer, he wouldn't be mentally ill.

Why are we expecting people with severe anxiety to act like they don't have severe anxiety? It's like asking someone with a broken leg why he can't walk normally like everyone else.
    We know he has anxiety issues but some of his other issues and perceptions may be exacerbated by his anxiety because everyone seems to capitulate to his illness. In other words if his anxiety issues were treatable by medication he might still be a jerk. We can't lump all his behavior under one umbrella of mental illness.

We know he can't fly in an airplane but we also know that he was capable of functioning at a fairly high level as a college player. Your diagnosis of his mental illness would suggest that he is more dysfuntional than what he appears..
    Last edited by speakout4; 10-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to be terrified if the Spurs end up signing him. I totally doubt they will, but if they did, I imagine they'd get more out of him than anybody else could.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Leaving the Royce situation alone for a second, I have a person close to me who is mentally challenged and it is insulting to compare someone with anxiety issues to someone who is mentally challenged.

As for Royce Whites situation, I actually think its a sad one. I am not sure if he can be "helped" enough to get back into the NBA, but from the little I have read it seems he really has been treated with kid gloves.

Me, personally, I respect someone who says I dont need the NBA and NBA lifestyle to be happy. I think he could have gone about it better, but sometimes it is easy for fans to remember that these guys are young kids. I have done plenty of stupid things in my young life, and I never had millions of dollars thrown at me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Leaving the Royce situation alone for a second, I have a person close to me who is mentally challenged and it is insulting to compare someone with anxiety issues to someone who is mentally challenged.

As for Royce Whites situation, I actually think its a sad one. I am not sure if he can be "helped" enough to get back into the NBA, but from the little I have read it seems he really has been treated with kid gloves.

Me, personally, I respect someone who says I dont need the NBA and NBA lifestyle to be happy. I think he could have gone about it better, but sometimes it is easy for fans to remember that these guys are young kids. I have done plenty of stupid things in my young life, and I never had millions of dollars thrown at me.
    I don't think its insulting, just ignorant. And I'm not even sure its not just a disconnect in communication.

Is he selfishly trying to get absolutely everything he can out of the nba despite not having earned it? I would say yes. But I would also say that if he were capable of functioning in the NBA at this time he would be playing for a team right now and not getting cut and making headlines. When you have any kind of severe anxiety disorder, you live in constant fear of the next panic attack. And he is troubled iin more than one way.

He's not dealing with his situation well, but he didn't choose to put himself in the situation he's inin.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post: