Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55

Thread: Royce White is done.

  1. #26
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,203

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    My wife suffers from anxiety, yet she never complains and is working hard to overcome a lot of her fears and what causes her to be anxious.

    Maybe Royce is doing the same, but his words and actions seem to dictate that he's just a diva. So much talent, but a 10cent brain. Dude needs to man up and stop expecting the world to bow down at his feet and cater to his every comfort. Anxiety is an illness, not an excuse.

    Still, I love the dude's talent. If Royce plays in the NBDL, I hope the Pacers keep an eye on him. Wouldn't mind him in a Pacer uni.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why so hard on the guy? We all make decisions in life that we feel are best for us that no one else may agree with. We live we learn it's a growing process. Seriously why are we so judgmental towards our fellow man?
    He has just rubbed me the wrong way with the way he has handled the whole ordeal.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  4. #28
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,578
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    His immaturity and lack of class has clouded whatever positive message he could have presented.

    Responding like a butthurt fool on Twitter, lashing out publicly every time he didn't get his way...he will not be missed. And it's too bad, he could have brought a very real issue some useful coverage. Instead, he squandered his opportunity by being an immature "victim", never taking any responsibility.

    Good riddance.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  6. #29

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If, rather than mindlessly running to his defense, the entire world started holding White accountable for his behavior, I'm willing to bet his "mental illness" would be "miraculously healed" in no time.

    This is what I don't get: He just got cut. He almost certainly will never put on an NBA uniform again in an official game.

    So who is coddling him? Why didn't he "miraculously heal" himself to keep from getting cut? This training camp, he stared the end of his career in the face. The scenario you seem to be predicting just took place, and White doesn't seem to have changed his tune. As of right now, it is over. The "shedding of the ruse" should have just happened.

    I am not arguing that Royce White isn't selfish and/or lazy. Mentally ill people can also be lazy, selfish, awful people too. The mental illness certainly doesn't help.

    It just seems like you are saying that Royce is faking a mental illness here. And that seems wildly wrong.

    Someone could flippantly (and insensitively) say something along the lines of "You would have to be mentally ill to throw away an NBA career." That seems like the only rational explanation here to me.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  8. #30
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,795

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what I don't get: He just got cut. He almost certainly will never put on an NBA uniform again in an official game.

    So who is coddling him? Why didn't he "miraculously heal" himself to keep from getting cut? This training camp, he stared the end of his career in the face. The scenario you seem to be predicting just took place, and White doesn't seem to have changed his tune. As of right now, it is over. The "shedding of the ruse" should have just happened.
    The guy got paid a million or two when he had no intention, nor ability, to actually fullfill the requirements of his contract. I think Houston is about as dumb as it can get, offering him a guaranteed deal.

    It doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to figure out how this was going to end.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  9. #31
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His immaturity and lack of class has clouded whatever positive message he could have presented.
    How many "mature", and "classy" mentally unstable people do you know?

    Someone here made the point that everybody has sympathy for mentally ill people, until they start acting like mentally ill people, and then we write off every offensive thing they do as a sign of poor character.

    I'm not saying Royce doesn't share some blame for his current situation, but we're way oversimplifying his problem. If he's truly mentally ill, then he has an issue understanding how his own actions are affecting his situation. There's a disconnect between his perception and reality, which is precisely what a mental illness does to a person.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2013 at 04:01 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  11. #32
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy got paid a million or two when he had no intention, nor ability, to actually fullfill the requirements of his contract. I think Houston is about as dumb as it can get, offering him a guaranteed deal.
    They were required to by the CBA once they drafted him in the first round.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  12. #33
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,795

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They were required to by the CBA once they drafted him in the first round.
    Let me rephrase that. I think Houston was stupid to draft him in the first round, making him a guaranteed deal.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  13. #34
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me rephrase that. I think Houston was stupid to draft him in the first round, making him a guaranteed deal.
    They gambled with a late 1st like you'd gamble on a raw prospect or an injured one. It isn't like Royce didn't have lots of talent. They just swing for the fences and missed in a pretty weak draft.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. #35
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,795

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    They run a professional basketball operation that requires them to frequently fly on planes for hours at a time. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to draft a player who can't get to said away games. His talents don't mean much if he can't play. Anyone with common sense could see where the end result was going to go, especially if you just sit down and listen to Royce talk about it. I've never heard one interview where he actually addresses what he was going to do about his situation, but rather what other people needed to do.

    Just because it was a gamble, doesn't mean it's a smart gamble.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  15. #36
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They run a professional basketball operation that requires them to frequently fly on planes for hours at a time. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to draft a player who can't get to said away games. His talents don't mean much if he can't play. Anyone with common sense could see where the end result was going to go, especially if you just sit down and listen to Royce talk about it. I've never heard one interview where he actually addresses what he was going to do about his situation, but rather what other people needed to do.

    Just because it was a gamble, doesn't mean it's a smart gamble.
    I'm sure Houston's worst-case scenario was what happened. I think we'd be naive to think that they hadn't considered they might be burning the 16th pick on a guy that might never play. They simply did not value the pick that much.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #37
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,795

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Whether or not they considered it, is irrelevant to what I'm saying.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  17. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,796
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They gambled with a late 1st like you'd gamble on a raw prospect or an injured one. It isn't like Royce didn't have lots of talent. They just swing for the fences and missed in a pretty weak draft.
    I disagree with you on his talent level. I hated his game in college for the pros. He can handle the ball sure. But he was undersized very lazy on both ends terrible motor. His jumper was beyond broke. I never got the love for his game strictly basketball reasons. add in the other stuff I just didn't understand the hype he received.

  18. #39
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with you on his talent level. I hated his game in college for the pros. He can handle the ball sure. But he was undersized very lazy on both ends terrible motor. His jumper was beyond broke. I never got the love for his game strictly basketball reasons. add in the other stuff I just didn't understand the hype he received.
    Always productive, though. Could do all the inside-outside stuff. Prototypical NBA stretch 4. Can't find too many guys his size with guard skills.

    AT 6'8" 270 lbs, I certainly wouldn't call him undersized at the 4, either.

    Did I see him as an all-star? No, but outside of the lottery you aren't looking for one.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-25-2013 at 04:54 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  20. #40

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone naive enough to believe that White is a helpless victim of mental illness, rather than a willfully awful human being who's turned a diagnosis into a crutch to absolve himself of any personal responsibility for his behavior.
    Probably both, like I said in my first comment. He is, pretty obviously, a victim of mental illness. At the same time I think he's using his public acceptance of that mental illness as a way to deflect any criticism he gets.

    I don't see myself as a sucker, I just don't gloat when someone else gets fired.

  21. #41
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,413

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Wow, imagine an athlete who has probably been coddled since he showed the ability to play basketball unable to take responsibility for their actions. Throw in and obvious mental issue which he may not be treating and the matter gets crazier. Maybe our own experience with a person with a mental illness on our team is shading some peoples' attitudes towards the situation. Just my opinion.

  22. #42
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,578
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many "mature", and "classy" mentally unstable people do you know?

    Someone here made the point that everybody has sympathy for mentally ill people, until they start acting like mentally ill people, and then we write off every offensive thing they do as a sign of poor character.

    I'm not saying Royce doesn't share some blame for his current situation, but we're way oversimplifying his problem. If he's truly mentally ill, then he has an issue understanding how his own actions are affecting his situation. There's a disconnect between his perception and reality, which is precisely what a mental illness does to a person.
    Several. Once they stop using their illness as an excuse to be a victim, they were able to have a positive impact on others (Co-workers, family etc) perception of the disease.

    Sure, their illness caused them to act erratically at times, and that was understandable. With Royce, however, it's been a near constant stream of BS.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  24. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,346
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.



    Aren't there meds to help ease the symptoms of this sort of disorder
    without turning a person into a zombie?
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  25. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,758

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    To me him cause off as a person with a problem who has been babied his whole life over it, and has never been forced to face his problem directly. So instead of facing his problem and trying to overcome it and grow as a person, he has instead just been avoiding it. So when he got into the real world where he isn't going to be babied he couldn't deal with it, and he didn't know how to react other than acting like a spoiled brat which probably got him what he wanted up until this point in his life.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  27. #45

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    His anxiety issues did not prevent him from realizing that the nba could not going to accommodate him at every turn. His attitude suggested that his problems trumped the needs of the team. That was a very poor position to take as if this was an opportunity for the nba to realize there were mentally ill people out there.

    He made a couple of million for no effort and that in hindsight is what I see was his goal.

  28. #46
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His anxiety issues did not prevent him from realizing that the nba could not going to accommodate him at every turn.
    uh...it absolutely could have. If he had a clear ability to detect how his actions were perceived by those around him and his employer, he wouldn't be mentally ill.

    Why are we expecting people with severe anxiety to act like they don't have severe anxiety? It's like asking someone with a broken leg why he can't walk normally like everyone else.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  30. #47
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,025
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Aren't there meds to help ease the symptoms of this sort of disorder
    without turning a person into a zombie?
    Its extremely difficult to find the right combo of medication that works and doesn't screw you up so bad that it does things like turn you into a zombie. It took me years to find the exact combo to try and deal with my disorders, and even then you're trying to tinker a little bit to find what's needed.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  32. #48
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    I'm not saying he can't do more to deal with his issues, but good god you do not understand how he sees the world through his eyes until you've experience his level of mental disorder.

    Likewise, he most likely cannot understand how everyone else deals with his issues so easily, because he's never been that stable.

    He absolutely has been treated with kid gloves more than the average person with his condition, but jesus christ the "rub some dirt on it" crowd could not be more out of touch.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  34. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,758

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he had a clear ability to detect how his actions were perceived by those around him and his employer, he wouldn't be mentally ill.
    When did he suddenly become mentally retarded? He has anxiety problems, he isn't slow or crazy. Outside of the anxiety he is otherwise a perfectly normal adult who is smart enough to know how people may react to his anxiety. It is possible he didn't, but if that is the case it is more likely because he never encountered people who weren't willing to make the concessions he wanted than because he isn't capable of it. I'm not going to say that was his plan, but you are acting like he has mental problems outside of what he actually has.

    I don't know if his anxiety is too much for him to overcome or not to eventually play in the NBA, but I do know he needs to understand that at this level he needs to work to do what he wants to do. He can't just expect everything to be given to him. Instead of taking the stance he has he needs to realize it is his problem, and it is something he needs to overcome not something the NBA needs to overcome.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 10-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.

  35. #50
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did he suddenly become mentally retarded? He has anxiety problems, he isn't slow or crazy.
    ...what do you think mental illness is?

    http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness

    What is mental illness?

    A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning. Just as diabetes is a disorder of the pancreas, mental illnesses are medical conditions that often result in a diminished capacity for coping with the ordinary demands of life.
    He doesn't have to be hallucinating or have limited brain function to have an inability to see the world the way everyone else sees it.

    If it were that simple, then it would be easy to simply explain to him the limited dangers of flying on an airplane, and that would be the end of it. He's normal enough to understand simple percentages, right?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •